: Methanol on a V2?

rw99
01-22-09, 03:03 PM
Is anyone thinking of adding a meth kit to their V2? I use one on my '98 turbo Trans Am and it's a fantastic addition to an FI car. Of course we're talking a completely different animal with the roots blower... is there a way to add methanol to this sort of setup?

What sort of IAT's are you V2 guys seeing?

wait4me
01-22-09, 03:11 PM
iats wont be an issue more until summer. But by then there will be a lot of solutions for the heat problem.

As for meth, There are a ton of people using them on roots blowers, But i am not sure how effective it will be on the setup that the lsa engine has. I have never tested it actually. That was one of my last resorts for keeping temps down and setting up for more timing....

I have a few top of the line kits in stock though if you guys want to try one.

They come with progressive controller, and a knob also to control amount, and dual nozzles.
PAC Progressive controller
Modified pump (for methanol)
Inline filter assembly
Stainless braided hoses pre-assembled
Misting nozzle
Check valve
Custom tank fittings
Custom vented cap
Pump fittings
Pump mounting hardware
T-fitting
Harness, loom, Connectors and ties
2 Bar GM MAP sensor with regulator
(Controls application of methanol at a preset boost level)

All for $599.

The Tony Show
01-22-09, 04:41 PM
Waste of money unless you crank the timing high enough to cause knock, and then you're putting a bandaid on the problem.

Dr. Design
01-22-09, 04:52 PM
We have done a lot of testing with meth on the STSV and XLRV applications to control temps. The V2 could easily have something integrated into it. We have already come up with a few different designs on how to properly integrate the methanol system without compromising anything else.

This blower configuration is very similar to the northstar V-series engines. The blower however is much more efficient and as a result the IAT2's are much better as a comparison...

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Is anyone thinking of adding a meth kit to their V2? I use one on my '98 turbo Trans Am and it's a fantastic addition to an FI car. Of course we're talking a completely different animal with the roots blower... is there a way to add methanol to this sort of setup?

What sort of IAT's are you V2 guys seeing?

rw99
01-22-09, 04:53 PM
Waste of money unless you crank the timing high enough to cause knock, and then you're putting a bandaid on the problem.

I was thinking more in terms of utilizing methanol to add a bit of octane and provide a cooler charge... perhaps enabling a pulley swap for a bit more boost (with tuning, of course).

On my turbo TA it's definitely not a waste: I put over 620 HP to the rear wheels with just a T67... Alkycontrol kit. Lots of experience with this kit on Grand Nationals.

Anyway, I'm just curious about where you'd spray on a roots setup.

Hogg
01-23-09, 10:33 AM
Meth/H2O injection is certainly not a band aid or a waste. In fact it adds a nice margin of safety for those who push their boosted setups.

I'm sure a kit could easily be added to the LSA engine.

Both reducing IAT's and adding octane are benefits. I have even heard of guys using E85 injection. But currently none of the H2O/Meth pumps are certified for gasoline use(AFAIK), no matter what concentration the gasoline is.

R=M/2 octane numbers

Methanol 99
Ethanol 100

Net energy content (BTU)
Methanol 8,600
Ethanol 11,500

So as you can see there is a small octane advantage with Meth over Eth, and much more energy content in Ethanol.

The Indy Racing League now runs Ethanol, as does the American Lemans series.

On Whipples which are screwchargers, some guys spray before the blower, this tends to help to seal the rotors. If you can spray before a Whipple you will have NO issues spraying before a Roots blower. Simply because the Screwcharger arctually compresses the ai within a constantly shrinking compression chamber along its male and female rotors, while Roots tyoe simply "blows" air from the low pressure side to the high pressure side, with no area of compression between its rotors. My point beiang, if these systems wont hydrolock a Screwcharger(Autorotor,Whipple-yess Whipple actually makes their own compressors now,Lysholm) they wont hydolock a Roots.

peace
Hog

peace
Hog