: RWD Northstar

planocolt
01-22-09, 12:23 PM
Has anyone done a custom build with a RWD Northstar?

Submariner409
01-22-09, 04:13 PM
Nothing posted for Seville, nothing posted for Northstar FWD to RWD conversion in the Seville body.

There is a thread in Deville of a one-off conversion to a RWD 472 (?). Expensive, to say the least. Look at threads around last spring.

There are several threads here and there with mid-engined (Fiero) and sand rail Northstars, and someone has attempted a RWD-rear engine truck Northstar.

There is also an Eldorado (?) with a Northstar in front and another in the trunk.......

stoveguyy
01-22-09, 05:10 PM
a rwd NS in a seville or deville chassis? i have seen some rwd NS setups in streetrods. HRF comes to mind.

AJxtcman
01-22-09, 07:36 PM
Has anyone done a custom build with a RWD Northstar?

Yes I have seen a few. Certain years setups are easier than others.

planocolt
01-23-09, 02:32 PM
a rwd NS in a seville or deville chassis? i have seen some rwd NS setups in streetrods. HRF comes to mind.

What or who is HRF?

stoveguyy
01-24-09, 12:44 PM
hot rod fabricators.

Submariner409
01-24-09, 02:30 PM
CHRFAB, builders of some wild one-off Northstars made for specialized sand rail and custom bodies. Get to their site and check out the sand rail pictures.

Destroyer
01-25-09, 09:25 PM
Back in the mid 90's I saw an 80's 442 Olds using a Northstar motor at a car show. He somehow made the FWD N* hook up to a 700R4. At the same car show there was a 60's Caddy powered by a N* as well. I asked the owner how the car "went" and he said he wished he put the money into a BB Cadillac or Chevy motor instead. Said the N* was "nothing" off the line and for the amount of time, money and fabrication he had done he would have been better off using a more common motor and the car would have been a LOT faster.

Submariner409
01-25-09, 10:26 PM
Destroyer is 100% correct.....the Northstar (the 4.6L and the 4.4) is a little engine, somewhat smaller than a '60's Chevy 283. If you want pure guts, the old engine builder's adage "There ain't no substitute for cubic inches" is as valid today as it was in the days of the Chevy 427/435 Corvette. It takes pure torque to move a 4,000 pound sedan or coupe. High-winding horsepower be damned, it takes horsepower from start to finish. The kicker is that the 4.6, at 280 c.i., is strung to the limit to do what it does......stack another 200 cubes on there, and WooHoo !!!