: Does this sound good? 2000 Catera

Mercury1
01-21-09, 11:16 PM
I am looking at a 2000 Catera with 137k on the clock. It has had the trans replaced and valve cover gaskets replaced.

I test drove it and it seemed like the suspension was kind of bouncy in the rear. This is from me coming from a 2004 GTO with stiff suspension.

Also the steering wheel felt harder to turn than my GTO.

these things normal?

Southern-Hospitality
01-22-09, 02:04 AM
It is a cadillac no a pretend sports car, so remember it should be a little squishy. The steering wheel on the other hand is odd, I haven't driven a GTO but you would think the cadillac would be smoother.

If I remember correctly, the GTO was built off the catera frame no?

137kms? or miles? Miles I would say dodge it, Kms I'd say buy it.

How much is it?

Mercury1
01-22-09, 04:42 PM
it is 137k miles.

2nd owner, EXTREMELY CLEAN. has the rear shade
$2700

Southern-Hospitality
01-23-09, 02:30 AM
For $2700 you can't really go wrong. Maybe offer a littler lower and make sure your mechanic checks it out good.

AHazzardToAll
01-23-09, 11:01 AM
german cars are made to do 200k and keep going. At this point in it'slive i'm betting allmajor repairs are done and all common issues were fixed, i'd go for it.

iiF3LiXii
01-24-09, 01:27 PM
I dont know... I got my 99 sport complete with all the options available. One owner, garage kept. 150k miles on it but all major and minor repairs are done. I know because this is a customer at the shop I work at and I was able to pull his history with the car. You should see the stack!! lol $8500.00 worth of repairs since 99. Including all the scheduled maintenance. Car was very taken care of. Wanna know what i paid? 1k! Came with a idling problem... MAF fixed that. $150.00 part. GOOD TO GO!!

Mercury1
01-26-09, 05:12 PM
It is a cadillac no a pretend sports car, so remember it should be a little squishy. The steering wheel on the other hand is odd, I haven't driven a GTO but you would think the cadillac would be smoother.

I mean I though the catera was supposed to have a flat smooth ride. this one feels like there is body roll in the rear. Possibility that the shocks need to be replaced?

Southern-Hospitality
01-26-09, 07:05 PM
Theres a few guys on here who had their suspension rust out, that could be the problem...

Mercury1
01-26-09, 09:47 PM
by rust out, do you mean the springs or the mounts? anywhere i should specifically look? I gave a deposit already and Im picking it up tomorrow

PrincessBratt
01-31-09, 09:21 AM
wow lookslike ya got a greatdeal there!dya kno why didnt the other owner just get that simple part fixed? i wonder ifPOSSIBLY they, like myself culdnt find any1 2diagnose prblm as u did? also u said MAF fixed the idling issue?whats MAF? ok i ask these questions cuz i do not kno what 2do w/my catera n im terrified of doing the wrong thing n gettin screwed AGAIN.I 2am considerin dumpin car out of "IJUSTCANTTAKEITANYMORE",itslike the frikn thing has contagious disease n no1 wants2touch it, they jst guess. ive been badly run around,it is now sitting at the 3rd garage & 4 whatevr reason, all those whove lookd at its issues,cant seem to honor my request-i simply wantd to kno(which i didnt see it as a strange or uncommon request??)what the car will need to repair it to a much better running condition,possibly i assume starting by sum diagnostic tests. no?am i way off here?i need serious direction,cz like i said im so fearful to continue to be taken by these people, this car is absolutely gorgeous exterior n interior, totally loaded to the hills with options, problm is mechanical, runs real rough, actually its strange, it can sit thru icecoldweather for wks, and start right up no problm. however opposite to what im used to hearing, the more "warmdup" it gets, the worse it run,rougher.ive been told electrical issues since dashboard lites,speedo & odom dont work (actually outta nowhere i saw the speedo/odom miraculously start working one day for only about 20min.very weird)
IM SORRY FOR DUMPING ALL THIS! IM NEW ON HERE, LIKE U CULDNT ALREADY TELL THAT!I TRULY HOPE SUM1CAN GIVE TINY BIT OF INSIGHT ON MY CRAZY STORY..:alchi:BELIEVE ME I CAN TELL YA MORE TOO IF YA CARE TO HEAR. AGAIN IM SORRY..,JUST SEEKING OUT ANY1 WITH SUM KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE INSTEAD OF BEING SHOVED ASIDE OR TAKEN FOR THIS N THAT LIKE IVE BEEN. THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE. :thumbsup:
(almost feel like im pleading on sum crisis hotline or sumthin here,wow pathetic me!

PrincessBratt
01-31-09, 09:23 AM
:bonkers:AGAIN--IM SO SORRY FOR THE DETAILD STORY--BUT REALLY NEED SUM GUIDANCE. LIKE I SAID B4-ITS PROB. OBVIOUS THAT IM NOT ONLY A NEWBIE....BUT A DOGGONE DESPERATE NEWBIE TO SAY THE LEAST!
THANKYOU GUYS!!! :worship:

JRomano
01-31-09, 11:52 AM
http://opera.oslocity.org/caps/capslock.jpg

PrincessBratt
01-31-09, 04:39 PM
w o w ! t h a n k s 4 t h e a d v i c e ! ! ! ! :whatever: ! ! ! ! ! !