: check engine light and no charge light on dash.

dylanm
01-21-09, 09:24 PM
hi I have a 1988 cadillac brougham d'elegance, that I got used, and even since I got it, the no charge light on the dash is always on, the guy said it was like that since he got it, do you guys know what the problem is, maybe a sensor?
and after about 5mins on running the car the check engine light go's on.
the car still running fine after that, and drive, and I can rev the engine and it still keeps running, do you know what this could possibly be, it seems to happen every time, and since the car is not on the road yet I can not see what happens when I keep driving it, and since I am out of money I can not take it to a mechanic, if you guys have any clue on these problems let me know, thanks.

sven914
01-22-09, 09:45 PM
You can get the Check Engine codes out of the ECM without any expensive equipment. What you need to do is make a jumper wire using two sewing needles and a five inch, small gauge, insulated metal wire. Strip the insulation on either side of the wire and wrap the strands around the needles, through the eye.

Look in the middle of the underside of your dash board for a large electrical connector. Insert the needles into the right most holes on the top row of the connector. Turn on the ignition to run, but do not start the engine. The check engine light should begin to flash. It will flash several times (to indicate the first digit), then pause and flash several more times (to indicate the second digit of a two digit code). So if it flashes twice then three more times, after the pause, the resulting code is 23.

Use this link (http://www.extreme-check-engine-light-codes.com/GM%20OBD1%20Decoder.htm) to better explain and to tell you what the code means.

csbuckn
01-23-09, 12:02 AM
check the ecm fuse, my friends was doing something similar and it was the fuse to the computer control. I bet it has something to do with the fuses. My friends caddy wouldnt flash any codes because of the fuse

dylanm
01-24-09, 01:02 PM
I well check out the fuses, but I am not to sure about me sticking needles into my cars thing, don't want to brake it and know body knows. I talked to the guy I got it from, he said the check engine light always went on for him to, so it must not be major problem, do you guys know any of the lesser problems this could be?
thanks for your replies.

sven914
01-25-09, 12:39 PM
Using a jumper wire on the OBD-1 plug is not breaking it. I've done it several times to my own Cadillac Brougham when I was low on money, and I know service Technicians who have done it because their new scanners were not capable of reading OBD-1. It is a money saving procedure that is taught at one of America's top ranked Automotive Colleges, and is even outlined in multiple service manuals.

VortecCaddy
01-25-09, 01:59 PM
If you want to know why the "No Charge" light is on as well as why the "Check Engine" light, you may want to do what was mentioned above. I would not rule out that the 2 are connected in some way. What is the condition of the battery? What is the condition of the alternator?

dylanm
01-25-09, 08:08 PM
well maybe I well give it a try when I have some free time.
the battery is suppose to be about 2 years old, and the alternator is suppose to be over a year old.
she starts every time, and has no problems running, it could use a tune up, but when I have free time I well give it a try. the code testing idea. thanks.

dylanm
01-25-09, 08:09 PM
O also, the check engine light dose not go on till around 5 to 10mins, would that affect the test? or dose it not matter, the no charge light is always on.

sven914
01-25-09, 08:22 PM
No, because you will be putting the car into diagnostic mode.