: GM "retooling"

urbanski
06-30-04, 10:36 AM
So my V was set for production this week...now I hear it won't be made until August 2 due to the GM plant being closed for "retooling".

:( oh well.

Is retooling GM-speak for "partying the month of July"?

Devil_concours
06-30-04, 10:42 AM
So my V was set for production this week...now I hear it won't be made until August 2 due to the GM plant being closed for "retooling".

:( oh well.

Is retooling GM-speak for "partying the month of July"?
does that mean there is going to be a significant change made to v?

urbanski
06-30-04, 10:46 AM
makes ya wonder....i'm sure somebody here knows

miscreant
06-30-04, 11:16 AM
Whoever told you "retooling" is blowing smoke for the V. The plant closes for 2 weeks every summer. This summer they are moving up a line to produce the '05 STS in quantity (up until now it's been onesies and twosies).

I wonder why you're order was moved? The plant shut down has been planned, your order should have been slotted appropriately.

urbanski
06-30-04, 11:44 AM
maybe the doggone STSs bumped me?

T_Dogg8
06-30-04, 12:04 PM
i would say they got a little behind schedule and you were so close to the shutdown a day or two really made a difference.

DgtalPimp
06-30-04, 12:18 PM
maybe the doggone STSs bumped me?
If you got beat (bumped) by an STS that would suck. :lildevil:

Dgtal (dgtalpimp@pimpdaddy.com)

urbanski
06-30-04, 01:18 PM
I'll exact my revenge ..... in 6 weeks :(

GNSCOTT
07-01-04, 04:42 PM
GM retools that line often. They can only make one kind of car on the line at a time and I think they make the CTS, XLR, and now the STS on that line.

benjet
07-01-04, 04:53 PM
The CTS plant is a C-Flex plant, meaning they can run all the different cars down the line at anytime, they do not make runs of CTS, SRX etc. they intermix them all. Retooling is not needed to swap the regular production cars. New cars will take some adjustment to the line. XLR's are made on the Vette line (not in the Lansing CTS plant)

-Ben

b4z
07-01-04, 05:17 PM
i have seen pics of the SRX and CTS folowing each other down the same assembly line.
The STS will slot right in.
The aded another shift last year to handle the demand.
CTS is selling at twice the rate they orignally predicted.

-1-
07-01-04, 08:38 PM
:coolgleam Well the bright side is that everyone should be well rested and energetic. Hopefully you'll get a well produced car.

T_Dogg8
07-02-04, 08:04 AM
does that mean the XLR comes from bowling green??

StealthV
07-02-04, 09:09 AM
Yes.

T_Dogg8
07-02-04, 09:54 AM
Yes.
hmm....as a corvette enthusiast, i can't say i'm real happy about that. but that's only because i don't want to share :)

gothicaleigh
07-02-04, 10:18 AM
Yeah, but is sharing the line with a $70k XLR really that bad of a thing? :)

As for the Lansing plant, I think it is amazing that they keep up. It is quickly becoming THE Caddy factory. So far every Sigma architecture vehicle is made exclusively in Lansing. The question I have is how many cars are they going to be able to handle in a year without GM having to break down and build another plant?

As a side note, JDPower ranks the Lansing/Grand River assembly line as the #1 car plant in America in terms of technology, quality, and success. If anyone can shoulder the task of manufacturing the vast majority of Cadillacs in a timely and high-quality manner, it is them. <applauds> :)

TNT V
07-02-04, 10:39 AM
hmm....as a corvette enthusiast, i can't say i'm real happy about that. but that's only because i don't want to share :)I just came back from Bowling Green and had a private tour of the "Corvette" plant. As part of the tour we saw the XLR line and I was really impressed. First of all, they are not on the same line. They have a separate line. Each XLR is built front start to finish by the same "team". They build only 13 XLR's per day versus 130 Corvettes. Everyone on the XLR team has a special uniform and they all look very professional. The XLR is probably as close to a hand built auto as there is in the US. The car moves along the assembly platform when the work is done not because the car is automatically progressing. Most of the time the line is not moving at all because the team does many steps before they move to the next station. The workers follow the car rather than the car moving to the workers. Automation exists but not nearly to the extent that it does on the Corvette line.

urbanski
07-02-04, 10:44 AM
i guess teh V line is much less fancy....

T_Dogg8
07-02-04, 11:01 AM
I just came back from Bowling Green and had a private tour of the "Corvette" plant. As part of the tour we saw the XLR line and I was really impressed. First of all, they are not on the same line. They have a separate line. Each XLR is built front start to finish by the same "team". They build only 13 XLR's per day versus 130 Corvettes. Everyone on the XLR team has a special uniform and they all look very professional. The XLR is probably as close to a hand built auto as there is in the US. The car moves along the assembly platform when the work is done not because the car is automatically progressing. Most of the time the line is not moving at all because the team does many steps before they move to the next station. The workers follow the car rather than the car moving to the workers. Automation exists but not nearly to the extent that it does on the Corvette line.
yeah....that's how the harley plant in york, pa is setup. it's pretty cool. every person on that team can build one from scratch. they know how to do each step.

T_Dogg8
07-02-04, 11:02 AM
Yeah, but is sharing the line with a $70k XLR really that bad of a thing? :)
yes :) i want my own thing.

globed70
07-02-04, 12:11 PM
The XLR is probably as close to a hand built auto as there is in the US.

Except of course the Viper and Ford GT...

Raven05
07-02-04, 01:06 PM
My dealer told me on Monday that my V was "in transit". Now it's Friday and the car's still not here. Now he's saying it must have something to do with the shutdown. I don't understand, if the car was really "in transit", how could the shutdown affect it? Does anyone have an answer?

T_Dogg8
07-02-04, 01:22 PM
i know a guy who bought one of the last firebirds built. it was way late and one reason was it sat in a shipyard in baltimore for two weeks because there wasn't a truck to bring it to the dealer.