: CTS-V "Wow" Factor

NIK
06-30-04, 11:19 AM
I took delivery of my 2005 black "V" on June 8 - after driving it for approximately two weeks I would like to share some observations:

First off, I traded a '99 6 speed Trans-Am with which I thought I was going to absolutely miss performance wise. 5 minutes after I picked the car up I knew that missing the T/A was not going to be a factor. Even though I haven't gotten on the "V" yet it's easy to see that it's as fast (or faster) than the T/A from a dead stop, and from a roll there's no comparison - the "V" just pulls and pulls. Handling, again, is no comparison - I now know what is meant when they use the term "refinement" in a vehicle. The Trans-Am was a hoot to drive, but it was a real handful and when I was done I was ready for my wife's DeVille for a while. Conversely, I can't seem to get enough of the "V".

The total surprise to me as far as the "V" is concerned is the response to its styling. I wasn't totally sold on it myself but, let me say this - I've owned many new vehicles over the years and none, and I mean none, have evoked the "WOW" factor that this car has! Everywhere I go I get the "thumbs up" sign and positive comments (the most common being "that's hot") from people of all ages. Sorry this was so long, but I just thought I'd share my observations with all of you.

riverrat
06-30-04, 12:00 PM
I've got to agree about the Wow Factor. I can drive my black Z06 and few notice, the very first day in my black V at the first intersection a guy in a trans am rolled down his window and shouted "cool car", heads turned as I drove through shopping areas and had kids pointing it out and tellin' their girlfriends to look. I live in a very small town ( less than 100 pop ) everybody says something about my new wheels. :coolgleam

ages
06-30-04, 02:04 PM
I live in a very small town ( less than 100 pop ) everybody says something about my new wheels. :coolgleam

talk about king-kong in a little city. :coolgleam

urbanski
06-30-04, 02:20 PM
I've got to agree about the Wow Factor. I can drive my black Z06 and few notice, the very first day in my black V at the first intersection a guy in a trans am rolled down his window and shouted "cool car", heads turned as I drove through shopping areas and had kids pointing it out and tellin' their girlfriends to look. I live in a very small town ( less than 100 pop ) everybody says something about my new wheels. :coolgleam
wow, 100 population town?? you could have bought the whole city for the price of the V ;) :D

and I'd stare at your Z06....i sure would!! :)

Rickerbucks
06-30-04, 04:26 PM
This is a fascinating thread.

I have a blown 383 '97 T/A vert which I'm keeping. I'd really like to get a 2002 Z06 as they are a great car at a GREAT value right now but the wife has put her foot down on that idea.

I'm sure that I can happily live with the V as a 'second' choice to the vette, and although the styling is slowly growing on me, it still does not strike me as a 'WOW' inducing style. As oppossed to the 300C which I think is a real head turner.

At the moment I'm having a tough time justifying the cost of a new V and I might choose to wait until we start seeing 'used' ones on the market.

Thus it is very interesting to note that the car does get noticed. (A good thing as far as I'm concerned) Nonetheless, my first mod will be chrome wheels LOL

urbanski
06-30-04, 04:51 PM
i think I notice the 300C since I'm worried Al Capone and his gang are gonna shoot me from it :D:D:p

NIK
06-30-04, 05:09 PM
Sorry, but in my opinion the 300C is flat out ugly - you're right, it looks like a gangster car! And last (but not least), it's a Chrysler product .....

Just expressing my opinion...

lasstss
06-30-04, 06:12 PM
THis car is so rare that people dont get to see it. I was at the local cruise spot last saturday and half the attendees were milling around the V. There was a lot of nice stuff around but the V captured the audience..

rabid
06-30-04, 06:17 PM
I live halfway between Baltimore and D.C. and I can honestly say I have not seen another CTS-V on the road EVER.

Cal
06-30-04, 06:20 PM
Other than one guy from VA who bought one from my NJ dealer they sold 5 other than mine and the only one I have seen was parked and from a different Caddy dealer. So go figure. I see occasional CTS wanna-bes on the road with the dual pipe cut outs and the V grille. I was dumb enough to follow a WHITE one around for a few to see if it was a V (duh.)

Devil_concours
06-30-04, 06:36 PM
I live halfway between Baltimore and D.C. and I can honestly say I have not seen another CTS-V on the road EVER.
same here. I have not seen a single cts-v in metro dc area other than the ones sitting at the dealership. Anyways it seems like my car is getting noticed significantly more with the v-grille installed

Devil_concours
06-30-04, 06:37 PM
Other than one guy from VA who bought one from my NJ dealer they sold 5 other than mine and the only one I have seen was parked and from a different Caddy dealer. So go figure. I see occasional CTS wanna-bes on the road with the dual pipe cut outs and the V grille. I was dumb enough to follow a WHITE one around for a few to see if it was a V (duh.)
stop following me cal. :rant2: :D lol jk

DgtalPimp
06-30-04, 06:41 PM
stop following me cal. :rant2: :D lol jk
Whos Cal? :drinker

Dgtal (dgtalpimp@pimpdaddy.com)

Rickerbucks
06-30-04, 08:13 PM
Well, firstly it does take the trained eye to pick the V model.

Yes the grill of course and the badging if you are close enough, but the "average" person would not recognize the uniqueness of this vehicle. It is not "WOW". heck, it does not even get chrome wheels to contrast it to the CTS model.

Please don't misunderstand, I really, really, really want a V (for performance and handeling reasons) but I think if you surveyed 100 people on the street and asked them to provide their first impression of the 300C versus the V model, I honestly think the 300C will get the attention.

Personally I really want to commend Chrysler for their stying over the last few years. More then any other company they have built cars that cause people to look - Dodge Ram P/U, 1st gen Durango, Viper, Prowler, PT Cuiser, 300C. You cannot deny that these are interesting cars. Joe and Mary Sixpack can immediately identify them as being different.

As I say, personally, when I see a CTS drive by, it does not really grab me. I have only seen a V in the showroom by-the-by, that may make a differance to my impressions. As I first mentioned, I'm GLAD to hear that my own personal perspective does not seem to be the experience of others who own V cars. I'm glad to hear it because until now I have considered what I perscieve as a lack of visual sex appeal as a slight negative to buying one.

Cal
06-30-04, 08:56 PM
Around here it draws eyes and I get a lot of waves and thumbs up on the highway as well. I live on the Jersey Shore so Point Pleasant and Seaside Heights the car is like flypaper.

I have seen the two CTS models next to each other. The stance and body styling is different, the V is less clunky looking and has that panther-ready-to-pounce look to it in my opinion. As for the 300C at a distance it looks nice until you get close and see the cheezy rims and the clunky Chrysler-cheapness-looking bumpers and moldings. First time I saw the 300C I liked it, but on closer inspection it does not hold up to the scrutiny. The V definitely does, and I am in no way biased!

urbanski
06-30-04, 08:58 PM
We're the largest city in Texas...San Antonio....and I've not seen a V ever....I've not seen a Z06 either....this is a town of F150s.

2004ctsv
06-30-04, 09:32 PM
Sorry, but in my opinion the 300C is flat out ugly - you're right, it looks like a gangster car! And last (but not least), it's a Chrysler product .....

Just expressing my opinion...
You mean "gangsta" car - that it is

soon to V
06-30-04, 09:52 PM
Autoweek loves the car and at the end of one of their video segments, Dutch talks about the greatness of the car, then he says something like "the best, the best thing about this car is that yound kids love it", and goes on to talk about Cadillac brand building etc. At first I thought the comment a little strange, but the more I drive the car the more I can appreciate the comment because I even get kids hanging out their cars giving me two thumbs up when I drive by. I've heard little kids in parking lots stop there mom to tell them to look at the cool car.

Of course most adults are too reserved to express their natural emotions so forthright! ...right? :)

lasstss
06-30-04, 10:35 PM
rabid, Im half way between BAlt & DC. Im in Ellicott City.
Where did you get yours?

Rob Ketcham
06-30-04, 10:37 PM
My experience is that it catches people's attention. And, people like it. I can park outside the grocery store and when I come back it may be some woman in her Suburban, or some kid in his Cavalier or some guy in his S430, people notice it. It also has a reputation. I had fun with a black Evolution the other night, and with a hotted up WRX STI, but today the new 911 wouldn't take me on.
The V is still pretty rare; my dealer in MO was only allocated one 2004, but bought another one from another dealer and sold it in two days. My servicing dealer here in MD had a silver one, sold that, and now has a black one. I've only seen one other on the road and mine has over 9000 miles on it in four months.

Vedder
06-30-04, 11:10 PM
what color did you get?:rolleyes:

trekster
06-30-04, 11:37 PM
Same here whenever I go to get the car serviced people ask me about the car. Like: "have you've raced?" or the popular one "What's the fastest you've driven the car?".Also, when I drive I usually notice people looking at my car espically the younger crowd. I guess it's the grill.

rabid
06-30-04, 11:37 PM
rabid, Im half way between BAlt & DC. Im in Ellicott City.
Where did you get yours?
Hi lasstss, I live in Clarksville. I bought mine from Capitol Cadillac in Greenbelt, but I do not recommend them. I had trouble test driving one and after four dealerships, I bought from the first place that let me drive it. I went to Miller Brothers first because they are the closest. But they wouldn't allow me to test drive one.

riverrat
06-30-04, 11:42 PM
talk about king-kong in a little city. :coolgleam

They notice when I come into town - Black Z06/Black CTS-V/Black Lightning/Black Avalanche 2500 and lots of washing and waxing :banghead:

lasstss
06-30-04, 11:51 PM
I tried to buy mine from Miller but the owner jerked me around, talking about putting it out to bid. I told him to keep it! I bought from Chesapeake and they sold it for sticker.They were OK to deal with.
If you see a black one around its probably me.

Wienk
07-01-04, 12:23 AM
I have had my '05 Black/Ebony V for almost a month, drove it from Dayton to the NW Chicago suburbs and drive it every day to work... in almost 2,000 miles, I have yet to see another on the road!

However, I have to agree it sure seems to get looks from others, particularly the kids in the rice burners with the huge trash cans on their exhaust pipes as I blow by them.

Cal
07-01-04, 03:16 AM
They notice when I come into town - Black Z06/Black CTS-V/Black Lightning/Black Avalanche 2500 and lots of washing and waxing :banghead:
What'd you do to the lightning? Kinda wanted to drive one since I heard how quick they were. Nice little set of cars you have there, 2 is enough for me.

Trilio
07-01-04, 10:11 AM
Because of low numbers, the V is more outstsnding than most other cars. I did'nt like the bright work originally but it has grown on me to the point of grinning every time I see it. As far as the WOW factor, for the first time since I was a teenager I know what it feels like to be " tall dark & handsome "

NIK
07-01-04, 03:06 PM
Certainly the 300M will get more response from an informal survey - they are advertised all over the place, people know what they are and they are already on sale at special lease and purchase rates - if I hear "It's a hemi" one more time I'm gonna puke! When is the last time you saw a commercial for a "V?" Hell, the GTO is advertised all over the place but I have yet to see a commercial specifically focused on the CTS-V. It's a limited production niche car and I love it that way! And, trust me, when people see it they go ga ga! I wouldn't have believed it myself, but after 2 weeks on the street with this vehicle I have had more positive response than when I first got my new '67 and '70 GTO's, and every other what are now collectible cars.

Slick V
07-01-04, 09:19 PM
I have seen one on the road down here in Plantation, a black one. But thats the only one ive seen, and it was like a magnet, just had to keep looking. Cant wait for delivery.

cadillac04
07-01-04, 09:31 PM
Goin' traveling down to Springfield, VA. from SE PA. Mostly interstates , beltway around Baltimore and also DC. Anyone spotting a Black V going by (look fast) it'll be me. May travel home on 15 near Frederick just to change the scenery. My bro said that he hasn't seen any Vs around DC yet. Can't wait for the locals to get a glimpse of one.:lildevil:

07-02-04, 05:53 PM
I've seen three others in my area (I'm the VA guy who went up to NJ to save 3 grand); I had thought that a guy around the block from me had one....but it turned out to be that "VXi" imposter that some of the local dealers are peddling. The six cylinder CTS with the V-style grille inserts, spoked (though 5 lug) wheels, and a second exhaust pipe (maybe not real?!?!). Dealers seem to be gettting about 5 grand for that "package!".

Doug

thebigjimsho
07-03-04, 08:49 PM
Yeah, you'll see mort V imposters than actual V's around Boston by about 5:1. I had a long period between my deposit in February to pickup Memorial Day Weekend. I thought I would see quite a few in that time. I only saw 1. Since then I have seen 2 others and 1 was at my dealer. It was an employees.

I don't mind the imposters. I think most get that mod because it makes the car look much better IMO.

Cal
07-04-04, 12:35 PM
I've seen three others in my area (I'm the VA guy who went up to NJ to save 3 grand); I had thought that a guy around the block from me had one....but it turned out to be that "VXi" imposter that some of the local dealers are peddling. The six cylinder CTS with the V-style grille inserts, spoked (though 5 lug) wheels, and a second exhaust pipe (maybe not real?!?!). Dealers seem to be gettting about 5 grand for that "package!".

Doug
You went up to Pine Belt? Funny that they mentioned you. How did you like the service there? I go there fairly often, will be going in on Tues for my rear end.

Vetts NV
07-06-04, 10:14 PM
I just traded my Black 2003 CTS for a Platinum 05 CTS V. I was one of the first in the Northern VA area to get my original Black CTS, and I must say I got a ton of looks in that car. I didn't think the new V would get many looks because people in this area have seen many a CTS. BOY was I surprised at the looks I got when I pulled into to work and then over to the grocery store... Its like having my BLACK CTS all over again, except now I have power and performance and an extra gear....

About a month ago, I saw a Black CTS V on Reston Parkway, in Northern VA.... Now there is another CTS V in Reston...

Devil_concours
07-06-04, 11:49 PM
I just traded my Black 2003 CTS for a Platinum 05 CTS V. I was one of the first in the Northern VA area to get my original Black CTS, and I must say I got a ton of looks in that car. I didn't think the new V would get many looks because people in this area have seen many a CTS. BOY was I surprised at the looks I got when I pulled into to work and then over to the grocery store... Its like having my BLACK CTS all over again, except now I have power and performance and an extra gear....

About a month ago, I saw a Black CTS V on Reston Parkway, in Northern VA.... Now there is another CTS V in Reston...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16225
join our meeting.

ctsvett
07-07-04, 03:34 AM
Scene: RITZ carlton hotel (Dana Point, CA)
Date: July 4th (busiest day at the hotel)

I drive up in my V. VERY nervous about the very first (and possibly last) valet to ever drive my car, however, I have no other option (self park not an option and the area is VERY busy). After talking with friends and former valets, I decide to give $10 up front and explain about the e-brake to the valet (you need to put it to the floor). I am told by friends (who were former valets) they will not mess with my car if you give a good tip (he suggested min $5)

Anyway, I drive up to the VERY busy front and the valet opens the rear to get my coat... He immediatly says "very nice grill.. this is a nice car"... Ok.. I pause.. meanwhile the head valet walks by and says outloud to the other valet "park this car up front for me." (before I said a word or showed any $$) I smile and hand the driver the $10 and explain about the e-brake... He jumps in and carefully drives the car 20 feet and parks it next to a Porche (no rolling so he listened about the e-brake). Car sits there all night and does not move (I verified with the nav tracking... just cause I could). I give him another $10 when he returns it cause he was good to it. No Ferris Bueler's day off for me!

Bottom line: The V now has status! Who would have thought that a GM sedan would be parked front and center next to Ferarri's and Porche's at one of the nicest hotels in a very affluent area (Newport beach is filled with Porche's and Ferarris and other very nice cars).

And this embodies the V wow factor! YOU GO GENERAL!

Reed
Http://www.cadillacfaq.com

07-08-04, 07:18 AM
You went up to Pine Belt? Funny that they mentioned you. How did you like the service there? I go there fairly often, will be going in on Tues for my rear end.
Cal,

I loved the place (though I am using a local dealer for service). I put out an "offer" to several dealers through GM buypower to buy a V at $100 over invoice. Jim Howard called within a couple of hours; worked out the details on the phone. I drove up a couple days later with my wife. They treated us like Royalty, the car was exactly as described and even still had some shrink wrap on it (I specifically asked them NOT to prep it).

They even gave us a caddy-logoed wine bottle cooler/picnic basket....

A little while later off we went for the 200 mile break in run down the turnpike....

There was a little foul-up with their title company in getting my VA tags on time, but all was taken care of. They got all "Excellents" from me on their Caddy survey.....

Doug

Cal
07-08-04, 11:04 AM
Those SOBs didn't give me a picnic basket!! Wait till I call and yell at someone.

Glad to hear the service there was good. My only issue thus far was when they tossed my old shocks in the trunk loose after the FG2 install but that was just a service tech being lazy and I am pretty sure he got reamed after it.

Their parts guy at Pine Belt is great so if you need any future parts give him a buzz maybe (though it does stink that they won't drop ship to you, so then again maybe not) ask for Cliff he can at least give you a bottom line price and maybe talk to your dealer. I still have to call about that new combo antenna so my OnStar will come in again.

Maybe picnic baskets are only for people who pay over sticker. :cool:

thebigjimsho
07-08-04, 01:17 PM
I wish I didn't let the dealer prep mine. They burnt the finish a little on the doors and front passenger fender. It has that stupid 3D swirl. I was going to take it back and create a stink but I was going to wax it anyway, so I'll just polish it out.

Just got my Porter-Cable random orbital polisher and Griot's Garage supplies to have the V (and Town Car) looking better than new.

07-08-04, 05:35 PM
Maybe picnic baskets are only for people who pay over sticker. :cool:I paid $100 over INVOICE. Even with the regional advertising fee (I couldn't convince them to drop that) it was about $3000 BELOW sticker.

And the picnic basket.
And two cool keychains.
And coffee.

Must've been the fact that they knew I had a check for them......

Doug

CadV
07-08-04, 05:44 PM
Money has a habit of cutting through the BS :dance:

Cal
07-08-04, 08:06 PM
I paid $100 over INVOICE. Even with the regional advertising fee (I couldn't convince them to drop that) it was about $3000 BELOW sticker.

And the picnic basket.
And two cool keychains.
And coffee.

Must've been the fact that they knew I had a check for them......

Doug
What the... now I'm pissed! I paid sticker :madtalkin

So you paid around $48k for yours, blah. I knew I should have been more of a hard ass, I decided I liked the car and bought it the same day.

07-09-04, 10:34 AM
If it will make you feel any better, aside from the GMS crowd, I know of only a few who got discounts, and they were folks who bought "late" 2004's in May just before the line shut down. Most in the mid-atlantic area paid sticker; some paid a few grand over, and rumor has it that there are some poor saps in the SF Bay area who paid $10,000 or more OVER sticker to get the first ones in Feb and March...

I am sure that they won't admit it, though.....

Doug

riverrat
07-10-04, 03:27 PM
I paid 2195.00 under sticker (grand over invoice + advertising crap) didn't want to pay the 1300 guzler tax on an '05 and got no extra goodies just 50 extra miles when they fixed the rear end :banghead:

And Cal my Lightning has the basic mods, cold air/filter, 4 way chip, 4lb pulley, trans shift valve, electric fan & water pump. Cool weather w/slicks runs the 1/4 in 12.6's @ 107. Couple of weeks ago on drag radials 13.4/13.3 @ 106. It's a kick to whip up on kids on test & tune nights with your 4800# pick-up :lildevil:

bluecoupe
07-12-04, 05:59 PM
The Cadillac dealer in Brewster NY has 2 CTS-Vs sitting side by side. One is Platinum and the other is Black. The Black was a "Wow" and the Platinum was a "Woohoo". I want the Platinum! $51K sitcker how can you beat that! The German cars in that price range seem anemic by comparison.

Vetts NV
07-13-04, 02:49 PM
Hey... Why does the 05 have a gas guzzler tax and the 04 didn't?

I must say, my platinum V gets lots of dropped jaws, not only when I blow by people on the highway, but also when I pull into any parking area....

benjet
07-13-04, 03:06 PM
Hey... Why does the 05 have a gas guzzler tax and the 04 didn't?
Because 04 wasn't a full model year of production

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12942&highlight=gas+guzzler+tax

b4z
07-13-04, 11:46 PM
Didn't cvp33 pay about 48K and change?

Cal
07-14-04, 01:19 AM
The V got nice treatment at the Resorts down in Atlantic City. Went there 2 nights in a row and even the female activities director was looking inside (though she asked first, which was nice).

They parked it so close to the front the first time, though I didn't ask for it, that it took less than 3 minutes to bring up.

Man that car looks awesome at night pulling up into the light. Like a crouched panther.

Vetts NV
07-15-04, 02:43 PM
So let me get this straight.... I just realized in my '05 I paid 1300 for a gas guzzler tax and Istill have the privledge of driving this stupid skip shift??? I thought the skip shift was there to avoid the gas guzzler tax. Something doesn't seem right here!!!!:hmm:

CTSV_Scott
07-15-04, 05:45 PM
There is definitely something to the look of the CTS-V! I've had kids in the neighborhood get all excited when I drive by trying to get me to rev the engine, guys in traffic mouth “NICE CAR” while sitting in their WRX STi and a crowd form around my V while at ALMS race in Lime Rock. The crowd even had me stop, open the hood, etc.. And I've only had the car 3 weeks.

The CTS-V definitely has the looks and is getting a reputation to go along with it.