: Aftermarket radio

erivera2667
01-21-09, 12:20 PM
Hi
Has anyone had any sucess installing aftermarket radio in 99' deville. If so which one? The guy that sold me the car attempted to install a pioneer deck and well Im having all sorts of issues with the theft system and the dash is acting real weird at times. So i asked him to put back the original factory radio but it only has a cassette. I would like to have a radio that has a cd player and an output for my ipod. Any ideas?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-22-09, 12:56 AM
It can be done but it is very difficult. If things are not working properly right now with the factory radio installed I doubt it will ever work right again. These cars are so intertwined electrically that in one way or another the radio controls things from engine and theft deterrent. The only way to install an aftermarket radio in these cars is to run wires to the trunk and actually have 2 radios installed in the car. You can have an aftermarket head unit up from but the factory radio must also be connected in the trunk or else nothing will work right. It is a very costly job and complicated and I would leave it up to a professional audio shop. What is wrong with the tape player? You can get cassette adapters for like $15 and they work just as good as having a direct line in to the radio.

erivera2667
01-22-09, 11:00 AM
thanks for responding. well I dont know if the cassette is working yet, they are reinstalling the factory radio today, but here is another question. I read somewhere that there were some 99' deville's that came with a factory radio with cassette and cd player? Does anything one know if thats correct? if it is couldnt I just buy one and use that? if Im able to do this that would give me the best of both worlds? any thoughts

arctic_man
01-22-09, 02:13 PM
Mine has stock CD player and tape deck, but it is a Deville Concours with Bose, if that matters.

erivera2667
01-22-09, 02:27 PM
hmm does anyone know if it makes a difference. I saw a factory radio with a cd on http://www.automotix.net/usedautoparts/1999-cadillac-deville-radio_cd_player-inventory.html. But it doesnt say whether its for a standard deville.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-22-09, 02:54 PM
Usually the one with the CD player will not work. The only way to be sure will be to pull the radio in your car and have a look at the plugs on the back and compare it with the one you want to buy. I know on the older cars (96 and older) you only got a CD player if you had the Bose radio. The Bose sound package consisted of more than twice the number of speakers in a regular DeVille and the addition of an amplifier which meant a standard radio would not work. However, I do not know about your year for sure.

erivera2667
01-22-09, 06:07 PM
wow okay thanks, fm transmitter for ipod i guess thats my only option. good thing i didnt buy it.

CaptainFishpond
01-22-09, 10:50 PM
You could always get a 12 disc changer...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/159713-help-cd-changer-99-deville.html

erivera2667
01-23-09, 11:20 AM
Contacted Cruthfield here is their response

For the 1999 Cadillac Deville, there is no recommended stereo due to losing your warning chimes (which is unsafe), but there is a solution. We do carry a couple of adapters that will allow you to add either an IPod interface or a CD changer. I checked if you could use both items, but they both connect to the same port on the back of your factory radio.
If you would like to add a CD changer (will hold 6 CD's), this is the unit you would need:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581G190CAD/USA-SPEC-SCD-G190CAD.html?search=581G190CAD%2b&tp=132

If on the other hand, you rip your CD's to your computer and transfer them to your IPod, your best choice would be the IPod adapter:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_541ISGM73/Peripheral-iPod-GM-Interface-Kit.html?search=541ISGM73%2b&tp=120
(And the price for the IPod adapter is more budget friendly too).

I also checked IPod compatibility for this adapter. The iPod2car is designed to be used with Generation 3 iPod, Generation 4 iPod, Nano, Mini, Photo and Video iPods. The iPod2car is also compatible with the iPod Nano video, Classic, Touch and the iPhone/iPhone3G. So if your IPod is one of the mentioned, you are golden.

Hope this helps anyone else having the same problem.

thanks to everyone that responded

K_cin_az
01-23-09, 02:41 PM
According to other threads a lot of people have made this installation work by wiring their factory unit in their trunk, (running the power, dataclass and ground wires to trunk)

erivera2667
02-04-09, 03:28 PM
had the original factory radio reinstalled and everything is working now. dash isnt acting weird and the theft determent is working as it should. I purchased a cassette adapter for my ipod and life is great. It sounds so good thanks to everyone for responding.

curtc
02-05-09, 09:51 AM
must be a lot different in a '99 deville than in my '01 seville. i installed an Alpine HU no problem, replaced front speakers with an Infinity Component set, put up some 3-way Infinity 6x9's in the rear deck and spliced in the existing BOSE speakers in the rear doors to the same rear channels. cost of installation was around $250 because the entire car was re-wired front to back but the stock HU is collecting dust in my closet not piggy backing in my trunk...was something changed over the years?

CaptainFishpond
02-05-09, 12:54 PM
had the original factory radio reinstalled and everything is working now. dash isnt acting weird and the theft determent is working as it should. I purchased a cassette adapter for my ipod and life is great. It sounds so good thanks to everyone for responding.

Again, why not get a disc changer?

N*Caddy
02-05-09, 07:43 PM
Usually the one with the CD player will not work. The only way to be sure will be to pull the radio in your car and have a look at the plugs on the back and compare it with the one you want to buy. I know on the older cars (96 and older) you only got a CD player if you had the Bose radio. The Bose sound package consisted of more than twice the number of speakers in a regular DeVille and the addition of an amplifier which meant a standard radio would not work. However, I do not know about your year for sure.

If on the one you are looking say BOSE (on the lower left corner of the display) and on your not then it will NOT WORK. They look the same, even the plug in the back is IDENTICAL but is not by far the same. Trust me the whole system is different, you need additional components, new speakers, harnesses etc. Read this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/160832-adding-bose-base-stereo-system.html).

mitchjagger
02-09-09, 01:46 PM
I just went over this in another thread, visit HERE (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/43795-those-you-who-owns-97-99-a.html) and check out my post on page 3.
Thanks