: Clever stuff...I think?

STSj90
01-19-09, 09:38 PM
I just got done doing a WOT run. The car spent the tire's all the way threw first and shifted early to second. Traction ACTIVE came up as always. (its COLD out there tonight) I think i know why it shifted early. I was wondering why the hell it shifted early. It shifted around 300 rpm early i think. I was like WTF? I thought ok..Well i guess my TPS is bad or somthing?

Got home checked the codes and got T073. Wich i read on the forums that it overrides stuff and keeps damage from happening. So i guess thats why it shifter early? Its said ''dude ima shift before you f**k up somthing''...

Am i right?

This is what i read
This code disable's first gear (is to protect the transmission not to ruin it).
So i guess it forced 2nd gear early so i wouldnt damage my tranny?

Ranger
01-19-09, 09:59 PM
T073 .......................... PCM - EBTCM/EBCM Pulse Width Modulation Signal Fault

STSj90
01-19-09, 10:42 PM
T073 .......................... PCM - EBTCM/EBCM Pulse Width Modulation Signal Fault

I read that in the list of codes. But after that i searched the forums and found this thread.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/152796-will-ecbm-cause-tranny-problems.html

My question was. Was the code set because to protect the tranny? And thats why it shifted early? Its sounds about right to me... Im having no problems with the car at all. No early shifting.. Unless it was a situation like earlier. Getting no traction at WOT(at6000+rpm in first). So it set the code and it shifted alittle early to protect i guess.

Here's what i read in the thread

EBTCM kind of affects your transmission (in a very minor way – but a good way). This code disable first gear (is to protect the transmission not to ruin it).
As a rule of thumb, EBTCM has nothing to do with transmission (at least nothing bad) you can not ruin the transmission due to a bad EBTCM. You should see it like that: EBTCM has an issue, the car notice and tell to the transmission, please do not engage 1-st gear since the human behind the wheel might abuse the engine and transimission beyond the safety level and the EBTCM is out so it can not interfere. In other words with the EBTCM out is like driving with the TC OFF

Am i right. Or is there any other problems? Anything i should look at? I have no other codes.

Im getting kinda confused here......

Ranger
01-19-09, 11:37 PM
All that says is that the EBTCM will disable 1st gear. The wheel spin may have had something to do with it. Besides, I don't think the shift point is that accurate. I think it may vary a little depending on a number of things. I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

STSj90
01-20-09, 03:32 PM
Well, I guess that was just wishful thinking...

So i dont need to worry about that code? Dont it mean somthing? I probly need to do somthing about it.(or is there anything i can do) I guess it may be starting off in second gear now? or what?? I dont think i can deal with that. I have a heavy foot. I do alot of WOT's from dead stops. As well as rolling WOT'S...

Ranger
01-20-09, 06:28 PM
It sounds like you are probably starting in second gear. That code probably means you have no ABS unless it was just from that one time. Did it come back after you cleared it?

STSj90
01-21-09, 09:49 PM
I cleared it. Drove the car. Counted the shifts. Everything is fine. Code did not come back. What caused it? I just really need to find out. Cause obviously somthing went wrong somewhere. I did 6 WOT's 2 from dead stops. And everything is fine.

Ranger
01-21-09, 10:02 PM
Hard to say what caused it. Sounds like it was a fluke. fogetaboutit.

Submariner409
01-21-09, 10:24 PM
Depending on the barometric pressure, the phases of the moon, and the heat of the meat a Northstar/4T80E will default into all sorts of engine control and shift patterns, most brought on by a difference between sensed front and rear wheel speeds.

Do some deep searching in here and find out how to trick the front wheels into always thinking they're doing the same speed as the rears, therefore no traction defaults on wild acceleration.......:sneaky:

tman2093
01-21-09, 11:08 PM
I had EBTCM issues on my first STS. Turns out it'd rain, and the next day, id get the errors. then a few days later it was fine. Rainwater was being absordeb into the control box and causing the issue later the next day. The fix? I covered the thing in high temp silicone. Problem gone.