: What about an octane boost?

qictrk
01-19-09, 05:39 PM
In my area the highest octane available is 91. I understand to get the most hp out of these engines, is to have at least 93. I was thinking of puting in a can of octane boost with every tank full. What do you think? Any chance of damageing the engine, etc? Cecil...........

edsuski
01-19-09, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure where you live, but it looks like S. Cal. (?) Some Union 76 stations offer 100 octane fuel for only $8.99 per gallon (Did I say only 9 dollars per gallon?). The mix is linear so you can mix it to whatever octane number you want (between 91 and 100). Here is a map of stations that offer 100 Octane:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=105516817605328653492.00045a331f606629069ce

Here is the mix chart:

http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/Automotive/Gasoline_-_Mixing_Your_Own_Octane.files.hidden/91OctLarge.gif

qictrk
01-19-09, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the maps. Closest one is about 45 minutes away. I still like the can of boost if it works. Cecil.......

edsuski
01-19-09, 11:11 PM
Do a Google search on 100 Octane gasoline or go to the 76 web site and see if any are closer to you.

I have read that the octane boosters you buy at auto parts stores do very little to actually boost octane - Research Octane Number (RON) and Motor Octane Number (MON). The 100 octane listed at the pump is the average of these two numbers ((RON + MON)/2). I'm not sure what the octane in a can claims to give you.

The cost is prohibitive - but I suspect you are actually getting 100 octane from the 76 station. Just remember - if the car is not pinging (and thus retarding the timing) then you don't need more octane.

Luna.
01-19-09, 11:52 PM
Torco is the best that I've found & there's proof that it DOES work.

The biggest benefit in my mind is that it would, in theory, allow for more aggressive timing and, hence, more HP/TQ.

I don't believe it's worth it though, as the gains wouldn't be THAT much

Razorecko
01-20-09, 10:19 AM
octane boost in a bottle does some nasty things to your motor. Just use higher octane fuel.

gto_in_nc
01-20-09, 10:57 AM
octane boost in a bottle does some nasty things to your motor. Just use higher octane fuel.

Not to mention that, as a general rule, when they claim a bottle in the tank raises octane rating by a point, they mean 0.1 rather than 1. Wanna raise your tank from 91 to 93? Better plan on adding 20 bottles per tank...

The Tony Show
01-20-09, 12:07 PM
:yeah:

...and adding 20 bottles per tank will eat the hell out of the motor. Octane boost cans are snake oil.

Luna.
01-20-09, 04:54 PM
Not to mention that, as a general rule, when they claim a bottle in the tank raises octane rating by a point, they mean 0.1 rather than 1. Wanna raise your tank from 91 to 93? Better plan on adding 20 bottles per tank...

For most? Probably.

Not for Torco.

It depends on how large a tank of gas you add 32oz of it to, but it will legitimately crank it up significantly (e.g. 91 to 98).

qictrk
01-20-09, 04:55 PM
I think i will just leave well enough alone, unless i decide to take it to the track. Thanks for the input. Cecil...........:bonkers:

gotapex
01-20-09, 05:09 PM
http://volvospeed.com/Reviews/octane_boosters.html

http://volvospeed.com/Pics/Review/torco_accelerator.jpg

Torco advertises that it can raise 93 pump to 107 when used in the highest concentrations. Tested in the highest recommended mixture we saw an AKI of ~99 though a secondary testing method. 8 full points from 107 if you assume Torco was implying 107 AKI and not 107 RON.

gto_in_nc
01-21-09, 12:08 PM
For most? Probably.

Not for Torco.

It depends on how large a tank of gas you add 32oz of it to, but it will legitimately crank it up significantly (e.g. 91 to 98).

Well, based on Torco's own chart, they show virtually no change with a quart added to a 20-gallon tank (that's like eight 4-oz. bottles) and the big gains they show at the highest recommended concentration (which certainly seem legitimate and reasonable) are with a quart added to a five-gallon tank. From a concentration viewpoint, thats like adding a gallon to a 20-gallon tank. A gallon would be the equivalent of 32 little four-ounce bottles.

So, I rephrase my statement -- the number of bottles you have to add to a tank to see significant gains depends on both the size of the tank and size of the bottle because it is the concentration (w/v) that really matters but adding a few ounces of anyone's product is unlikely to be very noticable. I would suggest that anyone interested should buy the five-gallon buckets...

LITTLEELVISDAN
01-21-09, 05:17 PM
It would be easier to go to your local track and put a 1/2 tank of 100 or 110 octane mixed with a half tank of 90..

findlay_dan
01-22-09, 10:41 AM
torco does work, like luna said i had a big turbo srt-4 before the V and it had a high octane mode that needed to be 100 octane to stay active, a bottle of torco with around 5 gallons of 93 in the tank would hold all day long. only bad experience i had was it would make plugs go bad after every few bottles.

Luna.
01-22-09, 06:51 PM
Well, based on Torco's own chart, they show virtually no change with a quart added to a 20-gallon tank (that's like eight 4-oz. bottles) and the big gains they show at the highest recommended concentration (which certainly seem legitimate and reasonable) are with a quart added to a five-gallon tank. From a concentration viewpoint, thats like adding a gallon to a 20-gallon tank. A gallon would be the equivalent of 32 little four-ounce bottles.

So, I rephrase my statement -- the number of bottles you have to add to a tank to see significant gains depends on both the size of the tank and size of the bottle because it is the concentration (w/v) that really matters but adding a few ounces of anyone's product is unlikely to be very noticable. I would suggest that anyone interested should buy the five-gallon buckets...

I'm not sure you understand...

Torco is primarily sold in either 6-32 oz cans or 5-gallon pales. 5-gallon pale is the better buy, but not as easily transported.

For racing purposes, the idea is to carry several cans of Torco & you can go nuts in terms of octane rather easily.

I believe the "ideal" concentration was a 32 oz can per 10 gallon mix. As such, if one really wanted to make "race" fuel with 20 gallons, add TWO 32 oz cans and viola...I can't recall the exact octane, but it's close to 100.

2 32 oz cans, especially when the cost to purchase is considered via the 5-gallon pale is significantly cheaper than purchasing a full tank of 100 octane race fuel. It worked for me as well.

If you still don't believe it works, head over to A&A Corvette or L.A.P.D. and talk to the technicians who are on the dyno on a daily basis. They'll tell you the same thing--it works.

Personally, I don't really care if it does or doesn't work---I don't get anything out of it...

gotapex
01-22-09, 08:42 PM
I believe the "ideal" concentration was a 32 oz can per 10 gallon mix. As such, if one really wanted to make "race" fuel with 20 gallons, add TWO 32 oz cans and viola...I can't recall the exact octane, but it's close to 100.

The exact octane is right there in the article above.

32oz in an 5 gallons of 93 AKI octane fuel gives you a manufacturer claimed 107 octane, and a real world 99 AKI octane, a 6 octane real gain.

32oz in 10 gallons of 93 AKI octane fuel would put you at 96 AKI octane.

Getting 20 gallons to close to 100 AKI octane from 93 AKI would take FOUR 32oz cans.

gto_in_nc
01-23-09, 11:16 AM
And we are back to a gallon again...

Don't get me wrong! I am NOT saying Torco doesn't work as advertised. In fact, I would say just the opposite -- Torco advertises their product accurately precisely because they market to the racer community who might have a legitimate need for the boost. (The chemist in the office next to mine laughed and told me he'd brew up a hellacious additive for me, if I didn't mind a few minor side-effects...)

Remember the OP's question: what about the idea of adding a can of octane boost to my CTS-V at each fill-up? (My paraphrase...) To get meaningful results, you have to use roughly an order of magnitude more additive than is contained in a little can or 4-oz. plastic bottle. That's all I'm saying...