: Kooks header system for 2009 CTS V

haterinc
01-19-09, 02:19 PM
I talked to Chris over at Kooks and he gave me some optomisitic news that I thought I'd pass along... as apparently the V2 system will be a priority. Maybe some of you already knew this but it was good news to me.

"As soon as we get the CTS-V here, which should be very soon we hope. We will have an entire system made up for it. Kook Jr, the president of the company is actually planning on getting one of these :)"

Razorecko
01-19-09, 02:29 PM
^ I hope they manage to do a system w/ hi flow cats that DOESNT trigger the '02 check engine light. I wouldnt touch a header system unless it could pass emissions

Luna.
01-19-09, 02:44 PM
^ I hope they manage to do a system w/ hi flow cats that DOESNT trigger the '02 check engine light. I wouldnt touch a header system unless it could pass emissions

Agree. I'd purchase in a heartbeat if it improved performance AND had essentially NO ISSUES. I do NOT want to be tightening header bolts every other week or not pass smog, or, etc.

GM-4-LIFE
01-19-09, 03:05 PM
Any word on if American Racing is going to be making these headers?

From what I have seen in the Corvette world, American Racing makes better headers than Kooks for less. One of the guys that used to work for Kooks left and started American Racing.

SG

gotapex
01-19-09, 04:46 PM
I wonder if they'll be able to gain substantially more than the 6whp that WAIT4ME performance experienced with headers (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/158463-potential-mods-power-gains.html).

thebigjimsho
01-19-09, 04:48 PM
I don't know if I'd want headers on a V2. Might be too abrasive for the high-class bad-ass image...

Ketzer
01-19-09, 04:55 PM
I wonder if they'll be able to gain substantially more than the 6whp that WAIT4ME performance experienced with headers (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/158463-potential-mods-power-gains.html).

I'm sure their marketing dept will show substatial hp gains. I'm also betting price will be $2500 or better.

haterinc
01-19-09, 05:13 PM
he said around corVette pricing so i'd expect $1,500ish for the headers

GMX322V S/C
01-19-09, 05:44 PM
At those prices, there'd better not be ANY fitment issues--zero, zilch, none.

undertaker
01-25-09, 04:45 PM
since I have kooks on one of my vettes and american racing on the other.....and do all of my own work (yes including dropping motors) and have dealt with both companies face to face...

Go with American Racing. I've personally installed 1 7/8ths with no cats in my 99 vette (road racer) with a 427 C5R, and 1 3/4 with cats on a friend's 08 when I put a blower on it this past fall. Both sets went in like they belonged. The kooks in my 00 vette (drag car) are 1 7/8ths and honestly....I need to drop the motor to have them fit, they need the starter out, alternator out, motor unbolted and jacked within the cradle etc. The fit and finish goes to american racing as well. Buddies of mine also did back to back tests of these two header systems on an 06 Z06 when they first came out along with LG's and the American Racing went in the easiest and made teh most power. They're dealers for all 3 but wanted to get a realistic idea of what to spend the time with.

Since we're dealing with pretty much a vette motor (minus a few changes) I'd go with whats worked best for the vette communities personally.

I know when I pick up a V thats who I'm calling, hell I might even stop by on the way home from the dealer if the box will fit in the trunk. :histeric:

09_CTS_V
02-08-09, 12:50 PM
I talked to Chris over at Kooks and he gave me some optomisitic news that I thought I'd pass along... as apparently the V2 system will be a priority. Maybe some of you already knew this but it was good news to me.

"As soon as we get the CTS-V here, which should be very soon we hope. We will have an entire system made up for it. Kook Jr, the president of the company is actually planning on getting one of these :)"

Just thought Id update you guys, I dropped my V2 off at Kooks on Saturday and they will be using my car for prototyping and begin fabbing the headers up as soon as they finish a current project they are working on, so it wont be much longer :)

undertaker
02-08-09, 02:19 PM
hope they get it back to you quickly....

Friends of mine had major issues with turn around time last season....

09_CTS_V
02-08-09, 07:05 PM
hope they get it back to you quickly....

Friends of mine had major issues with turn around time last season....

its a good time for them, too early before racing season and they were the ones that picked this time, so they will have it for a few weeks to do the fabbing! nothing lost on my account, the weather, minus today has been inhospitable for the car.

Luna.
02-08-09, 08:05 PM
I'd LOVE to see a tuned V dyno sheet immediately before adding headers, then re-tune the V after the headers have been installed and see what it does. I think that would add a lot of value.

thebigjimsho
02-10-09, 12:10 AM
I still think headers on this car may be too brash...

REDIMIX
02-24-09, 09:19 PM
I still think headers on this car may be too brash...

I guess ill let you know.

GEORGER@KOOKS
02-25-09, 12:48 PM
Undertaker thanks for all the kind words. I am wondering who is this friend you speak of that we held up? As for your experience with our company you are comparing a header that we designed almost 7 years ago. Is it a little tricky to install ? I guess it depeands on who is doing the install. We do C5 installs here in under 5 hours. We do multiple install's here a week our C6 install time is under 3 hrs from start to finish.

But lets get back on topic here like the title says KOOKS HEADER SYSTEM FOR THE 2009 CTS-V. We have the car disasembeled right now.There are so many design flows in the factory system it is really crazy.I am going to post up some pics of the factory exhaust system so the forum members can see what I am talking about.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/GEORGERUMORE/IMG_0740.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/GEORGERUMORE/IMG_0744.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/GEORGERUMORE/IMG_0746.jpg

I will kep everyone posted as the R&D goes on.

wait4me
02-25-09, 01:08 PM
The Cat back is where the gain will be. Fully removed it was 18hp gain... Headers wont be much if any when you put the stock catback back on.

Ketzer
02-25-09, 01:13 PM
Thanks for posting up George! We look forward to your impressions and development of the exhaust.

A couple of important things to remember...
Forum guys whine a lot.
We love pics.
Forum guys complain.
We really like sound clips.
Forum guys always know someone who will do it better for cheaper.
We like dyno numbers.
Forum guys ask a lot of questions... over and over and over...

Jeff-

09_CTS_V
02-25-09, 01:18 PM
Undertaker thanks for all the kind words. I am wondering who is this friend you speak of that we held up? As for your experience with our company you are comparing a header that we designed almost 7 years ago. Is it a little tricky to install ? I guess it depeands on who is doing the install. We do C5 installs here in under 5 hours. We do multiple install's here a week our C6 install time is under 3 hrs from start to finish.

But lets get back on topic here like the title says KOOKS HEADER SYSTEM FOR THE 2009 CTS-V. We have the car disasembeled right now.There are so many design flows in the factory system it is really crazy.I am going to post up some pics of the factory exhaust system so the forum members can see what I am talking about.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/GEORGERUMORE/IMG_0740.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/GEORGERUMORE/IMG_0744.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/GEORGERUMORE/IMG_0746.jpg

I will kep everyone posted as the R&D goes on.

you go George! Thats my baby! and she has some tight bends there, damn! anyone that thinks there is no gain with a crimp like that is :cookoo:

Cant wait to see the finished product George!

PETE

aceofblitz
02-25-09, 04:22 PM
I had a set of kooks LT headers for my chrysler 300C SRT8, i LOVED the sound when combined with the corsa catbacks, i LOVED the performance as well. Only problem I had however, was the clearance over speed bumps. The headers were hanging too low and I had to crawl like a snail over speed bumps so that they wouldn't scrape the headers. It wasn't the case though with my friends Z06. I just hope they design it with clearance in mind as it seriously affects the cars driveability; it was the 2nd biggest hit on driveability other than the cams i put on lol. (btw i removed both cuz the cops don't like me :()

dvandentop
02-26-09, 01:28 AM
wow those crimps in the exhaust are INSANE!!

SRT8/BMW
03-05-09, 04:21 PM
I had a set of kooks LT headers for my chrysler 300C SRT8, i LOVED the sound when combined with the corsa catbacks, i LOVED the performance as well. Only problem I had however, was the clearance over speed bumps. The headers were hanging too low and I had to crawl like a snail over speed bumps so that they wouldn't scrape the headers. It wasn't the case though with my friends Z06. I just hope they design it with clearance in mind as it seriously affects the cars driveability; it was the 2nd biggest hit on driveability other than the cams i put on lol. (btw i removed both cuz the cops don't like me :()

Ditto. Have Kooks LT headers w Hi Flo cats on my 300C (non srt8)..plus cam, heads, tune etc. When combined with the Corsas on there--the sweetest exhaust note I ever heard--and I get told that often. But same problems--they hang low and scrape on large bumps or speed bumps.

whisler151
03-05-09, 08:29 PM
Ditto. Have Kooks LT headers w Hi Flo cats on my 300C (non srt8)..plus cam, heads, tune etc. When combined with the Corsas on there--the sweetest exhaust note I ever heard--and I get told that often. But same problems--they hang low and scrape on large bumps or speed bumps.

I heard that! No...seriously. Almost every speed bump my Kooks scrape. Glad it's not just my car.

noelvm
03-05-09, 10:09 PM

The check engine light problem with a higher flow exhaust is a tuning problem not an exhaust system. Any better system should flow exhaust faster and if it does it will suck fuel out of the engine that needs to be replaced with tuning otherwise you get a lean condition which will trigger the light. Happened on the Lightnings all the time until one's tuner added some more fuel.

As for the Kooks headers, I ran them on the Lightning. They were good and held up well except I bought the coated version and that pitted bad and no one would warrant them. I should have bought the stainless version. If they offer both coated and stainless buy the stainless. Other than that they were kickass!

noelvm

REDIMIX
03-06-09, 11:05 AM
The headers are on the car everything is tucked up above the oil pan and the car run's and sound's great.

idoitforv
03-10-09, 02:50 PM
:postpics:

Richie18
03-10-09, 03:17 PM
The headers are on the car everything is tucked up above the oil pan and the car run's and sound's great.

Is the only change the headers?

Your comparison between stock and now?

thebigjimsho
03-10-09, 04:24 PM
we need answers

GEORGER@KOOKS
03-13-09, 01:12 PM
Sorry for the delay of information. We have made some changes to are original design. The first set of headers we produced where not up to our standards. meaning we do not want to have to oval or crush any area of the pipe this is a luxury automobile not a F body. So we are making a complete design change to the header so not to sacrifice any ground Clarence with the new design. And it will not require any crushing or ovaling of the exhaust pipe.We are also going to offer the system two ways.
1st option will be a complete system from the headers to x pipe catted or off road to our Kooks axle back Muffler system. The catted system utilizes our own high flow catalyst which are rated at 400 cells per inch not the 200 that most other manufacture are using. We use this cat on all our catted system. To reduce the smell of carbon monoxide out of the system. We have also found in emission states that run the sniffer it is much easier to pass without a tune.Each cat flows 572 CFM.
2nd will be a full system that you yourself can retain the factory muffler back with a simple modification of cutting the factory exhaust and add a band clamp to seal the system to the our x pipe..
I will post some pics here next week as for the headers are on our Laser vector machine so we can create a cad design for our bending department. Once that is done we can go into production with the headers. Should be done in the next week or so.

George R

SSideways
04-06-09, 07:38 AM
George,

any updates? on your systems.

surgin
04-06-09, 11:02 PM
i'm eager to see the new headers. don't the am. racing headers have ovals?

GEORGER@KOOKS
08-12-09, 03:01 PM
Good afternoon Ladies and Gentleman. First let me say I am sorry for the delay. With the move going on it really has been occupying allot of our time so I have not been very active on the forums. I apologize for that.

Now for the good stuff the 2009 CTS-V system is done completely now. I will enclose some pics of the system in this post but first lets start with the details about the system. The headers are made of 304 stainless steel from start to finish. They are tig welded in the entire section of the flanges then hand ported so there is not any obstruction of flow when the exhaust gases leave the exhaust port. We use one of our 6 mandrel bending machine in house to create the perfect wrinkle free mandrel bends that make up the primaries. Then the primaries enter our Venture spiked stamped merge collector. Then the collector ends with a ball and socket design for a leak free connection. Then the exhaust gases pass through our all 304 S/S x pipe that is sectioned using our Tas 300 S/S clamps.Making the system made from 304 S/S including the clamps. Now this is were you have options. We make a x pipe system that will connect to the corsa exhaust if it is already installed on the car. Then we offer a factory connection point x pipe. Then we also offer our own axle back exhaust system. Witch exits to an oval tip that complements the rear fascia of the car very nicely. Here are the part and pricing break down for each of the Assemblies listed above.Bitmap GM Motor Corp.Page 13GM / CADILLAC CTSVLS9 (2009)Headers are made of Stainless with 02 Extension Harness and 3" Stainless Steel X-Pipes (Catted or Off Road) for OEM or Corsa Exhaust.Item IDOrder HeadersGasket
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/GEORGERUMORE/IMG_1321.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/GEORGERUMORE/IMG_1318.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/GEORGERUMORE/IMG_1307.jpg
Videos and sounds clips to follow soon. Thanks to all.

haterinc
08-12-09, 03:33 PM
you know its coming lol....

what are the dyno numbers on your Kooks exhaust with the headers vs say the Corsa with the headers?

thanks

Me Wanna A V
08-12-09, 03:43 PM
George:

Your Kooks axle back doesn't appear to be stainless, is that so?

Also you stated that it has an oval tip, however it looks round to me.

I look forward to installed pics along with the promised video.

Looks like a nice system to me!

GMX322V S/C
12-30-09, 06:18 AM
To George@Kooks (or anyone with Kooks installed): the drivers-side cat on the Kooks system appears to be mounted right where clearances are really tight on that side; does the cat end up protruding below the unibody "rail" or the trans pan at that point? Thanks in advance...

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/GEORGERUMORE/IMG_1321.jpg
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/GEORGERUMORE/IMG_1318.jpg

wfo
12-30-09, 11:13 AM
Any word on if American Racing is going to be making these headers?

From what I have seen in the Corvette world, American Racing makes better headers than Kooks for less. One of the guys that used to work for Kooks left and started American Racing.

SG

Blah, blah, blah...Kooks are a great product. All American as any, Family owned and operated. I have them on my 08 Z06 ad they are indeed sweet.

American Racing, also a great product, but not better by any standard. My Vette Tuner carries both and doesn't recommend one over the other.

Dr. Design
12-30-09, 03:35 PM
Hello,
We have a few installs next week. We will post images of the headers installed on Monday. We can show relative ground clearance on a lowered CTSV and a standard height CTSV.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

To George@Kooks (or anyone with Kooks installed): the drivers-side cat on the Kooks system appears to be mounted right where clearances are really tight on that side; does the cat end up protruding below the unibody "rail" or the trans pan at that point? Thanks in advance...

1-2-N-V
12-30-09, 05:22 PM
Will be watching here too. What is the cost of the complete system? i was actually just thinking of putting on those electric cut outs for about $160 a piece. Quiet when i want it loud and free flowing when i push a button. Any one have these on?

thebigjimsho
12-30-09, 09:06 PM
Getting the Kooks headers soon. Would love to hear more feedback about the mufflers...

09V
12-31-09, 12:08 AM
The Kooks mufflers sound a little louder than I would have thought they would, but they sound great. The price more than makes up for any little concerns you may have.

Somefun
05-09-10, 07:19 PM
I'm thinking of doing the kooks long tubes with the high flow cats and stock mufflers what do you guys think? I don't want the car too loud but that crimped pipe is killing me!!!!:banghead:

Gary Wells
05-09-10, 08:13 PM
I am planning on running Jet-Hot coated Kooks long tube headers with the kooks X-pipe & the Kooks all of the way back to the stock muffs also.

Titaniumseeker
05-09-10, 10:30 PM
I'm thinking of doing the kooks long tubes with the high flow cats and stock mufflers what do you guys think? I don't want the car too loud but that crimped pipe is killing me!!!!:banghead:

That is a good combination if you are concerned about the car being too loud. Adding any aftermarket performance muffler will most definitely increase the sound decibel over the stock mufflers.

thebigjimsho
05-10-10, 12:12 AM
That' exactly what I'm running now. Like it much, much better...

thebigjimsho
05-10-10, 12:13 AM
I am planning on running Jet-Hot coated Kooks long tube headers with the kooks X-pipe & the Kooks all of the way back to the stock muffs also.
Let me know how that turns out. My Jet Hot coating didn't take to my Kooks...

Gary Wells
05-10-10, 06:08 AM
Let me know how that turns out. My Jet Hot coating didn't take to my Kooks...
James:
Didn't they ever get that straightened out to your satisfaction? Didn't they re-plate / re-process them? Supply another set? Were you buying them direct from Kooks?

Titaniumseeker
05-10-10, 10:28 AM
That' exactly what I'm running now. Like it much, much better...

Do you get any cabin drone with this combination?

1-2-N-V
05-10-10, 11:45 AM
Does anyone have a preference of ARH or Kooks? ARH is a bit cheaper. Or is kooks including the mufflers too? KPE looks like a nice exhuast but their headers are full of welds:ill:, are expensive and only include the cats it looks like. I want to ask KPE if they can sell the Mufflers only and bolt them up to ARH. Now that may be a combo. Kinda liked the sound of those KPE mufflers. Pretty sure the video is with complete system. Not crazy about the Corsas. Borla got anything yet?

Gary Wells
05-10-10, 12:06 PM
Does anyone have a preference of ARH or Kooks? ARH is a bit cheaper. Or is kooks including the mufflers too? KPE looks like a nice exhuast but their headers are full of welds:ill:, are expensive and only include the cats it looks like. I want to ask KPE if they can sell the Mufflers only and bolt them up to ARH. Now that may be a combo. Kinda liked the sound of those KPE mufflers. Pretty sure the video is with complete system. Not crazy about the Corsas. Borla got anything yet?

I have seen Kook's quoted with only the headers, headers and x-pipe, headers with x-pipe and extension tubes back to the factory muffs. I have seen discounted prices from $ 1800 (about 5 months back) to about $ 2100 depending upon who you are ordering from. I think that the prices are very similar. Kook's gets about $ 300 more for Jet-Hot processed headers. I am planning on going that route back to the factory muffs.

thebigjimsho
05-11-10, 06:04 PM
Do you get any cabin drone with this combination?
None. Still an executive assassin but with a little bit more audible attitude...

thebigjimsho
05-11-10, 06:10 PM
James:
Didn't they ever get that straightened out to your satisfaction? Didn't they re-plate / re-process them? Supply another set? Were you buying them direct from Kooks?
Bought the Kooks in a group buy from Lindsay. Luke tried to work with Kooks but didn't get any answers. Since it was not direct from Kooks and time was becoming an issue, we went as is. But Behe took care of me throughout and didn't charge me so I'm happy...

Gary Wells
05-11-10, 06:36 PM
James:
Thanks for the alert, and I will keep that in mind when ordering mine. I will order mine from D3 who is going to do the install, and they are going to get them direct from Kooks.

thebigjimsho
05-11-10, 07:05 PM
James:
Thanks for the alert, and I will keep that in mind when ordering mine. I will order mine from D3 who is going to do the install, and they are going to get them direct from Kooks.
For the record, Behe and Luke were willing to do what it took to make me happy. But having to deal with Kooks was going to take time. And after 1 week for the normal work and then another week tacked on(the recoating took only a couple days, my schedule wouldn't allow me to pick up the car until the weekend), 2 weeks was long enough for something of non-essential value. It's an aesthetic thing that didn't mean enough to not get the car back.

Gary Wells
05-11-10, 08:41 PM
For the record, Behe and Luke were willing to do what it took to make me happy. But having to deal with Kooks was going to take time. And after 1 week for the normal work and then another week tacked on(the recoating took only a couple days, my schedule wouldn't allow me to pick up the car until the weekend), 2 weeks was long enough for something of non-essential value. It's an aesthetic thing that didn't mean enough to not get the car back.
James:
I totally understand, agree, and appreciate the info. I would have done the same thing under the same or similar circumstances. Thanks again.

Somefun
05-12-10, 08:00 PM
I have mine on the way and can't wait to install them and tune my girl for them....She doesn't need anymore power but the crimp in the pipe keeps me up at night thinking about how crimped it is!!!

thebigjimsho
11-28-10, 02:21 PM
Usually your exhaust keeps everyone else up at night...