: Has anyone tried to put sc 3800 v6?

VIPERRACING
01-19-09, 01:22 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to put a 3800 v6 in our caddy's and what was all involved. These motors can be had for next to nothing and they are proven to last. Like I said before just wondering because it would be a lot cheaper then doing a head gasket job.

dkozloski
01-19-09, 01:28 PM
There's no way to get it EPA certified so you could drive it on the street.

VIPERRACING
01-19-09, 02:09 PM
There's no way to get it EPA certified so you could drive it on the street.

why wouldnt it be epa certified? I dont see why it wouldnt fit, god knows there's enough room.

STSj90
01-19-09, 02:50 PM
Yes its been done.

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/images/92sts-eng_h3cq.jpg

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/images/92sts-1_cc26.jpg

This was a 4.9 caddy before it was swapped tho.

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/Customer_Cars.html

dkozloski
01-19-09, 03:45 PM
why wouldnt it be epa certified? I dont see why it wouldnt fit, god knows there's enough room.
To be certified the engine swap has to be made for another engine that has been previously certified in that platform.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.autos.tech/2008-06/msg00355.html

Ur7x
01-20-09, 05:06 PM
This would be an interesting argument... Technically the "E/K" platform and the "G" and "H" are all different but really "darn close"... The SC 3800 was "certified" in the "H" and "G" and "E" cars... just not the "K"... Of course the current "H" (the Buick Lucerne) IS a "K" and it has the 3800 in it (makeing the swap easy with LOTS of factory mounts and parts.

I would bet that you would have a very good change of getting this past the Feds.

BlackCaddy87
01-20-09, 07:34 PM
thats like all the guys around here putting a 5.0 in an old toyota 4x4 or a 350 in a S10. do you really think anybody cares if its not certified? many people do it and drive around like everybody else

Ur7x
01-20-09, 07:53 PM
It only matters if you live in an area with "visual" inspection emissions testing...

stoveguyy
01-20-09, 10:44 PM
i see the a/c was not hooked up. not cool on a black car. i wonder what trans was used in the swap? stock caddy or buick? its interesting but i would say just fix the headgasket. the last time i mentioned a motor transplant i think it started WW3.

dkozloski
01-20-09, 11:03 PM
It only matters if you live in an area with "visual" inspection emissions testing...
It's a federal crime in any jurisdiction. Just the perfect thing for a vindictive ex-wife or girlfriend to blow the whistle on you.

Ur7x
01-21-09, 12:15 AM
Not where I live ;)

And I gotta believe the FBI has more important things to do...

Besides as I posted the SC 3800 was certified in a very similar platform...

As long as the 3800 has all of the smog stuff attached it is going to get a green light... Not that this is something that I would want to do.

NHRATA01
01-23-09, 07:05 PM
The laws are somewhat ambiguous - I am pretty sure you are allowed to swap an engine of the same year of the chasis or newer. Emission standards get more strict over the years so for instance you could swap a '01 engine into a '95 Seville, but not into an '03.

97EldoCoupe
01-23-09, 08:35 PM
What is the world coming to when you can't swap the engine of your choice into your own car?

Destroyer
01-24-09, 04:49 PM
I would own a FWD Caddy with a supercharged 3.8 Buick. :thumbsup:

jeffrsmith
01-24-09, 04:50 PM
California would be the worst place to try to get something like this by the inspectors.

You probably could get by here in CT if it passed the required tailpipe sniffer emissions test - of course the emission standards for that would be for the original engine.

dkozloski
01-24-09, 05:10 PM
Not where I live ;)

And I gotta believe the FBI has more important things to do...

Besides as I posted the SC 3800 was certified in a very similar platform...

As long as the 3800 has all of the smog stuff attached it is going to get a green light... Not that this is something that I would want to do.
The FBI doesn't have anything to do with it. It's the EPA which is a much more formidable opponent because they make their own rules.

Ur7x
01-24-09, 08:23 PM
The EPA has no say where I live too!