: Check engine light ?

VIPERRACING
01-18-09, 05:22 PM
Hi guys, Im not sure if Im in the the right section or not but Im having an issue with my 99" sts gas cap. It pulled a CEL and the dic showed replace gas cap so I replaced it with a brand new factory cap thinking it would solve the problem but it didnt. If anyone has had this problem I would appreciate any help.

Ranger
01-18-09, 05:47 PM
You have a leak in the EVAP system. The cap is the most likely leak point. Do you tighten it till it ratchets a few clicks?

Submariner409
01-18-09, 05:50 PM
This seems fairly common, and the first fix is the gas cap. Obviously, no good. There are a few more checks.......

Is the fuel filler neck rusted out ?
Has any work been done to the emissions evaporative vacuum system?
Has your car had a recall done for "Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor" ? (Campaign 03038 sticker in engine compartment - water pump pulley shroud ?)

The code has to do with fuel tank pressure/vacuum sensor signals.

VIPERRACING
01-18-09, 05:50 PM
You have a leak in the EVAP system. The cap is the most likely leak point. Do you tighten it till it ratchets a few clicks?

Ranger, I do tighten it so it ratchets. I Just thought that the seal on the cap was bad so I thought a new gm replacement part would fix it but no luck. What else do you think it could be? Thanks for all the help.

VIPERRACING
01-18-09, 05:58 PM
This seems fairly common, and the first fix is the gas cap. Obviously, no good. There are a few more checks.......

Is the fuel filler neck rusted out ?
Has any work been done to the emissions evaporative vacuum system?
Has your car had a recall done for "Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor" ? (Campaign 03038 sticker in engine compartment - water pump pulley shroud ?)

The code has to do with fuel tank pressure/vacuum sensor signals.

no rust, no nothing. Im not sure if it has had the recall. Would my car still be eligible for the recall? does this evap signal have an effect on the way the car runs?

Submariner409
01-18-09, 06:15 PM
For recall info you'll have to take the VIN to a dealer, and I don't think an EVAP code affects performance, but the car won't pass emissions.

VIPERRACING
01-18-09, 06:23 PM
Ranger, do you know were the evap canister is located?

Ranger
01-18-09, 07:08 PM
Check all the vacuum lines from the tank and the EVAP solenoid and valve as well as to the canister.

chubbyranger
01-18-09, 10:33 PM

99 did not have this recall. The insta-spark alternator is the only recall for 99. You can find all car recall information at www.nhtsa.gov.

For OP: Does the gas gauge work correctly? The evap solenoid is on the rear cam cover next to the coil packs if you're looking for it. Two vacuum lines and one electrical connector.

VIPERRACING
01-19-09, 12:36 AM
99 did not have this recall. The insta-spark alternator is the only recall for 99. You can find all car recall information at www.nhtsa.gov.

For OP: Does the gas gauge work correctly? The evap solenoid is on the rear cam cover next to the coil packs if you're looking for it. Two vacuum lines and one electrical connector.

Gas gauge works fine no problems. I will check the lines to the solenoid sometime this week. Do you know were the evap canister is mounted and what should I be looking for when I check the evap solenoid? Thanks again to all for helping out.

Ranger
01-19-09, 01:08 AM
I think the canister is under the battery unless your battery is under the rear seat. In either case, follow the vacuum line from the EVAP valve. It will lead you to it. You are checking to make sure that the hose is connected and the canister is in tact with no cracks and holds a vacuum.

VIPERRACING
01-19-09, 02:02 AM
Ranger, Thanks for all the help. I will keep you posted.