: 4200 miles = New Rear Diff

wildwhl
06-29-04, 09:12 PM
Yep, metal in the oil confirmed today. They gave me some sort of piece of plastic to drive in the meantime - a Land Rover Free Loader :-)

So, new diff on the way, windshield needs to be removed and reinstalled to fix the trim piece on the A-pillar and across the top, new brake master cylinder reservoir, new clutch cylinder reservoir, and fix a few scratches incurred just today at the dealership! Said 3-5 days for repairs...so I won't have her for the 4th weekend it seems :-(

Oh well, that's what warranties are for (suppose they'll warranty the tires?).

Wildwhl

Chuck C
06-29-04, 09:17 PM
I keep hearing about these CTS rear end issues that happen with only a few thousand or few hundred miles...I worry about the poor folks who blow a rear end after the warranty (especially right after the expiration date)

Dreamin
06-29-04, 09:19 PM
Da*n you appear to be taking all this very well... :crying2:

thebigjimsho
06-29-04, 10:57 PM
Well, hopefully I won't have to see how good roadside assistance will be in the middle of South Dakota. I planned on buying my new car especially for the purpose of a 3 1/2 week, 8,000+ mile trip in August. A blown diff in the middle of the night in Oklahoma wouldn't be good.

As for no spare, I need to buy an extra F1 to have in case.

Cal
06-30-04, 12:20 AM
Runflats...

Sorry to hear about the diff, was that the noise you were talking about?

riverrat
06-30-04, 11:06 AM
Welcome to the "New Rear Club"! What took you so long :lildevil:

You got 10x the miles I did. Didn't get pass the break-in to even stress anything and mine blew and I mean blew - shudder and slow down from 70mph oil downed the rear of car NASCAR style :helpless:

wildwhl
06-30-04, 12:31 PM
Welcome to the "New Rear Club"! What took you so long :lildevil:

You got 10x the miles I did. Didn't get pass the break-in to even stress anything and mine blew and I mean blew - shudder and slow down from 70mph oil downed the rear of car NASCAR style :helpless:

The sound was really somewhat quiet - had I not destroyed a few 10 and 12 bolt rearends in my past I wouldn't have thought anything of it. They found a LOT of metal when they drained the fluid...so now I'm driving this Land Rover thing that is such a far cry from the V - but hey, it gets me around.

Guess I'll be breaking her in again when I get her back.

DgtalPimp
06-30-04, 12:33 PM
The sound was really somewhat quiet - had I not destroyed a few 10 and 12 bolt rearends in my past I wouldn't have thought anything of it. They found a LOT of metal when they drained the fluid...so now I'm driving this Land Rover thing that is such a far cry from the V - but hey, it gets me around.

Guess I'll be breaking her in again when I get her back.
No pun intended on the word "break"?

Dgtal (dgtalpimp@pimpdaddy.com)

miscreant
06-30-04, 12:47 PM
fyi: This isn't just V related. I'm at 4800 miles and going back in to get my second rear-end put on my 3.6L (first was at ~3000). This is happening with the SRX as well. I'm *trying* to get my parts department to *accidently* order the 3.91 ratio export rear end :lildevil: :shhh: ...

DgtalPimp
06-30-04, 01:45 PM
fyi: This isn't just V related. I'm at 4800 miles and going back in to get my second rear-end put on my 3.6L (first was at ~3000). This is happening with the SRX as well. I'm *trying* to get my parts department to *accidently* order the 3.91 ratio export rear end :lildevil: :shhh: ...
Nice.

riverrat
06-30-04, 10:35 PM
That 3:91 rear would really help the 0-60 / quarter mile times. On the vette/Z06 forums they say the T56 trans with a 3:90 is ideal combo. I've got an unbreakable blueprinted complete rear sitting in the garage for my Z06 and after breaking the diff in the V I wondered if a lower ratio was available. Now if we could only get the unbreakable option :hmm:

wildwhl
07-02-04, 02:57 PM
Update today, Friday, before the big 4th weekend.

No car - entire differential (housing too?) is being shipped from Lansing, Michigan and won't be here until mid next week :annoyed:

Well, guess I'll be riding the Duc this weekend for my entertainment. Terribly frustrating that the dealer just figured out today that they needed the whole differential... :banghead:

wildwhl
07-04-04, 01:11 AM
Update today, Friday, before the big 4th weekend.

No car - entire differential (housing too?) is being shipped from Lansing, Michigan and won't be here until mid next week :annoyed:

Well, guess I'll be riding the Duc this weekend for my entertainment. Terribly frustrating that the dealer just figured out today that they needed the whole differential... :banghead:

Well, got a little more information yesterday afternoon. The dealer ordered new diff parts, but didn't receive them. Instead, he received notice that a new differential (as in new part number, upgrade/different from that initially installed) was outbound as of Friday. He made a couple calls to find out what this meant but couldn't get any answers. I'll let you know what I find out. Could it be that GM is addressing this issue and has an upgraded differential to solve the problem? I can only hope...

Devil_concours
07-04-04, 01:51 AM
Well, got a little more information yesterday afternoon. The dealer ordered new diff parts, but didn't receive them. Instead, he received notice that a new differential (as in new part number, upgrade/different from that initially installed) was outbound as of Friday. He made a couple calls to find out what this meant but couldn't get any answers. I'll let you know what I find out. Could it be that GM is addressing this issue and has an upgraded differential to solve the problem? I can only hope...
Dealer said the exact same thing. They had to reorder my rear diff with the updated one. I guess gm finally got their ass in gear did something about the rear diff.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16037

miscreant
07-04-04, 02:12 AM
No car - entire differential (housing too?)

That's how they are - they come complete.

wildwhl
07-04-04, 02:18 AM
That's how they are - they come complete.

I guess that makes since. A differential isn't the easiest thing to assemble (shims, gear lash, etc.). Probably best handled at the line/plant/wherever they are made. Not saying local techs couldn't handle it - but it makes more sense to give them a "unit" to install than a bunch of parts.

Darn, I think I'm getting D.T.s, been 5 days now without her! :crying:

Rickerbucks
07-04-04, 02:25 AM
I have to say, GM MUST have spent a lot of time beating / testing these cars before they were shipped out.

They MUST have known about the wheel hop issue and the glass rear end before now. Wonder why they are not dealt with BEFORE they build them. I can't believe that you guys are breaking rear ends and that the GM test drivers never did.

wierd.

gothicaleigh
07-04-04, 02:34 AM
The V has the same differential gear ratio as the 3.2L V6?
Are they the same rear, or just share the same ratio?

Also, how much does that 3.91 assembly cost? :lildevil:

Cal
07-04-04, 11:37 AM
Damn wild, that stinks. At least now I know what to tell my dealer if I did really shred my diff the other day.

wildwhl
07-07-04, 06:15 PM
UPDATE 7/7/04

Still no rear end has arrived. Dealer claims it should have been here yesterday, then today, and now tomorrow. Claims they have tracked it and it is somewhere close. They've been billed for the part yet can't find it, apparently.

I'm getting disgusted with this. The car was perfectly drivable as it was - they should NOT have torn it apart while awaiting the new rear differential. At the least, a suitable loaner car (not this LandRover POS) should have been provided. If Cadillac truly wishes to compete with the likes of Merceds and BMW they will pay attention to their customers needs not only at the time of sale but also during any and all repairs!

So, I considered having them do the FG2 install while we're waiting, but they can't even figure out the part number (came up with something for a 1976 Seville or ?). Don't feel confident in letting them do anything more then finish this service visit.

Does anyone know, can I visit any GM dealer? The local Chevrolet/Pontiac dealers seem to have pretty good reputations...just wondering what my alternatives are.

At this point than cannot give me any ETA on completion :(
I'm out of town through Monday...so I guess I'll see when I get back. FWIW, they haven't even taken care of the window trim pieces in the meantime!

DgtalPimp
07-07-04, 06:21 PM
UPDATE 7/7/04
So, I considered having them do the FG2 install while we're waiting, but they can't even figure out the part number (came up with something for a 1976 Seville or ?). Don't feel confident in letting them do anything more then finish this service visit.

They should do FG2 for you (read free) since you have been with out for so long.

Z06CADY
07-07-04, 09:06 PM
With it apart, you know they are not using it as a demo!

thebigjimsho
07-07-04, 09:37 PM
Window trim pieces? As in the exterior piece that lines the windshield? Mines been coming loose on the passenger side since I've picked it up.

wildwhl
07-07-04, 10:04 PM
Window trim pieces? As in the exterior piece that lines the windshield? Mines been coming loose on the passenger side since I've picked it up.

That's one of them! Beware, the dealer looked at mine (it was still connected on the left and right but coming out in the middle) and "ordered a part" along witht he A-pillar trim. On the way home that day the trim piece that wrongs along the top of the windshield came about 80% off and was beating the roof of the car to death at about 75 mph! I haven't washed the car since so that they could see what happened. Their question was "...what did you drive under and scratch up the top of your car?"

The then taped in place trim was pointed at by me and met with a doubtful look by the service writer.

I'm giving this dealer a gigantic thumbs down.

Devil_concours
07-07-04, 10:21 PM
That's one of them! Beware, the dealer looked at mine (it was still connected on the left and right but coming out in the middle) and "ordered a part" along witht he A-pillar trim. On the way home that day the trim piece that wrongs along the top of the windshield came about 80% off and was beating the roof of the car to death at about 75 mph! I haven't washed the car since so that they could see what happened. Their question was "...what did you drive under and scratch up the top of your car?"

The then taped in place trim was pointed at by me and met with a doubtful look by the service writer.

I'm giving this dealer a gigantic thumbs down.
is that the black thin aluminum piece above the window? Mines got dents all over and i have no clue where i got them

miscreant
07-07-04, 11:05 PM
is that the black thin aluminum piece above the window? Mines got dents all over and i have no clue where i got them

...hail...

Devil_concours
07-07-04, 11:23 PM
...hail...
there were no hail storms in my area. Not a single one.

StealthV
07-08-04, 12:22 AM
......ok...not hail.....how about........big giant bugs? :drinker

Devil_concours
07-08-04, 12:44 AM
......ok...not hail.....how about........big giant bugs? :drinker
i don't know about bugs but i do have a lot of dents.

Cal
07-08-04, 01:45 AM
Pixies were trying to steal your car.

CVP33
07-08-04, 09:26 PM
Damned pixies again. And they said I was crazy? :banghead:

suchnsuch
09-20-05, 12:14 PM
You say it was quiet. Mine makes a faint hum noise when I'm in 2nd or 3rd at low rpms. Do you think this is the rear Diff problem? The noise is intermittent and pretty faint. My wife couldn't hear it until she really focused on it. Please chime in anyone who's been through this. I've been thinking if I took it to the dealer, either it would fail to make the noise for them, or they would claim they couldn't hear it/nothing abnormal. I have the 3.6 with 6SPD. Any advise?

wildwhl
09-20-05, 12:52 PM
suchnsuch -

read through the sticky at the top of this forum - you might find some more information there.

WW

thebigjimsho
09-20-05, 02:17 PM
Since we're resurrecting threads from the dead, I'll pose a relevant question. My passenger side window trim piece had become loose. I would push it back down. Every couple of weeks I would notice it start to protrude upwards again. However, after a few months it stopped popping back up. And it hasn't done so since. Has anyone else not replaced their trim and it was fine?

urbanski
09-20-05, 02:19 PM
wow, heckuva bump.
WW want me to lock this?

joshdctsv
09-20-05, 03:28 PM
Lol! Quite a stretch there...

Hey, how do you watch DVDs while driving? :hide:

suchnsuch
09-20-05, 03:59 PM
Thnx, I already read the sticky but I was just looking for a better description of the sound it was making before they go out. Not sure if I'm running into this prob or not.

ahahnu
09-20-05, 08:43 PM
On topic, the guys who said they usually send them whole parts... not true Ofcourse I was the guy they ordered parts for, and fixed it* internally. So far with a little over 150 miles it whined on the highway starting at 82 when barely depressing the pedal, and put 20 miles on it.

Dreamin
09-20-05, 09:37 PM
Where is Stealth... we need some good snowmobile talk!

CTSV05
09-20-05, 10:27 PM
SNS,

My diff started whining at 3100 mi., then I installed the kit, and it was good, well after a fluid change, for about another 9000 mi., but then the sound was becoming much more intrusive, but I delayed a dealer visit as we had just had the trans replaced then the clutch and flywheel, so I was putting off the rear, when it exploded, and many know the rest from there.

I will tell you this, it won't get replaced untill the whine is very audible tho.

wildwhl
09-20-05, 10:33 PM
I thought we voted boobs? What happened to getting pictures? Wish I'd gone boobs instead of widened rears and new rubbers all around :histeric:

thebigjimsho
09-20-05, 11:17 PM
It's better to resurrect this thread than start a new one, right???

wildwhl
09-20-05, 11:59 PM
BigJim -

don't care if we resurrect or start a new one - as long as I get to see pics ;)

OK, yes, probably better to resurrect this thread. What are the real questions (trim pieces) and how can I be of assistance?

WW

ahahnu
09-21-05, 12:13 PM
Boobs, where? I saw on another post some dude from the cts forum posted another cts forum members girlfriends pictures. It really was his sisters friends uncles granddaughters neighbor. I swear but it was really her.