: Lowering Spring Vehicle needed in Baltimore, MD !

Razorecko
01-17-09, 10:18 AM
Hey guys i'm not a vendor just a member going around looking for possibilites to further expand the aftermarket for my future V. I found a great source for lowering springs...the company is.. http://www.roadmagnet.com/Home.html . Their springs are super quality - way superior to eibachs. I have personal expierance with them on my Jeep SRT8 ( previously had eibachs on the jeep ). The drop was roughly around 1.5 in and the ride is as smooth as stock. Not too mention the springs dont settle over time like the eibach's and the bump stops were way superior. I sent them an em and this is the response i got...

Hey Adrian,

Sure. We would love to have one to work on. Let me know what you are able to come up with and we will schedule it. We are trying to do as many new models as possible right now before we get into the new show season. Thanks for the support on the SRT8. Stay in touch.

Mark Habicht

Telephone: 410-686-9100

Address: Road Magnet

8905 Kelso Drive

Baltimore, MD 21221

If anyone is near the area and has the time I would highly recommend you get in touch with Mark if you're interested in making some bad@ss lowering springs for the V.

-Adrian

poor-sha
01-17-09, 10:30 AM
I have to wonder what different/lower springs would do to the calibration of the MRC shocks. It seems like that could be a real mess.

jvp
01-17-09, 10:54 AM
I have to wonder what different/lower springs would do to the calibration of the MRC shocks. It seems like that could be a real mess.

You can almost bet on it...

jas

Razorecko
01-17-09, 11:01 AM
^ i dont necessarily think that would be the case. Especially since hennesy/Dgoldr cut down his springs a LOT w/out ill effect

poor-sha
01-17-09, 11:18 AM
^ i dont necessarily think that would be the case. Especially since hennesy/Dgoldr cut down his springs a LOT w/out ill effect

I wish them all the best with this.

Razorecko
01-17-09, 11:29 AM
several people have already worked the springs on the zr1 w/out any ill effects. The only thing that will happen is what always happens w/ lowering springs on stock shocks. The stock shock life will probally be slightly decreased.

The Tony Show
01-17-09, 11:30 AM
The ill effects won't be seen until you take the car on the track or try to hit some fast corners, at which point the shock settings will be completely wrong since it's calibrated to the stock spring rates.

Razorecko
01-17-09, 11:33 AM
^ unless the dealership has the abilility to reprogram the shocks to a new spring rate

The Tony Show
01-17-09, 11:43 AM
Doubtful. The suite of personalization options in TechII are mostly limited to diagnostics and restoring options to factory defaults. I'd hazard a guess that remapping the MRC will require a PCM tuner such as EFILive or LSedit, and it probably won't be as simple as changing a value for the spring rates.

I could be wrong though.

GMX322V S/C
01-17-09, 12:37 PM
...The drop was roughly around 1.5 in and the ride is as smooth as stock. Not too mention the springs dont settle over time like the eibach's and the bump stops were way superior...This would be key to me. All I would be looking for is a mild drop (no 'tuck' into the wells)--but with stock spring rate and progressiveness to preserve the MR calibration and responsiveness. Of course this may result in travel issues, but hey, that's what the pros should figure out for us--if the issue can't be overcome without increasing the rates, they shouldn't build them (or clearly state the increase, if any).

Razorecko
01-17-09, 12:55 PM
Now if the magnetic shocks adjust to the travel of the spring than wouldnt the shock automatically adjust to the decreased travel ?? Wouldnt it than theoretically make the springs rebound just as well as the stockers since it would adjust to the new springs ? if i was near MD i'd do it as i've had the springs on my jeep for about 15k miles w/ no increase in harshenss and no type of damage to the suspension.

The Tony Show
01-17-09, 01:19 PM
I believe the shocks adjust their jounce and rebound settings using an algorithm in the computer which is based on feedback from the yaw and ride height sensors. Changing part of the equation (the spring rate) would most likely throw off the algorithm.

jvp
01-17-09, 04:05 PM
I believe the shocks adjust their jounce and rebound settings using an algorithm in the computer which is based on feedback from the yaw and ride height sensors. Changing part of the equation (the spring rate) would most likely throw off the algorithm.

Correct. Playing with the spring rate (and/or height) will muck up the calibration, which is stored in the RTD computer, NOT the PCM. Any of the programmers that you can purchase won't have a snowball's chance in hell in recalibrating the RTD computer.

For those that want to lower their cars and/or change the spring rates: go for it. You WILL compromise the RTD setup of the car. Whether the resulting ride and handling is good or bad for you is, of course, completely up to you.

jas

dlstelma
01-17-09, 06:02 PM
have you thought of larger wheels and tires? i'm sure there's a fine line for the front set-up, too.

Razorecko
01-17-09, 06:16 PM
If we are going that far into depth than wouldnt adding any aftermarket wheel that has any dimension and weight outside of the oem wheel affect the MR system ? Wouldnt a heavier 20in wheel will have a much different way of compressing the springs over corners/bumps ?

dvandentop
01-18-09, 01:43 AM
sounds like a bad idea unless completely getting rid of the mag ride but that would be going backwards

proexpert
01-18-09, 04:22 AM
What is the desired goal of lowering a four door sedan? I know it's a sport sedan, but why make it lower than the factory?

Razorecko
01-18-09, 11:21 AM
What is the desired goal of lowering a four door sedan? I know it's a sport sedan, but why make it lower than the factory?

Its just a drop enough to fill in the wheel wells. Bmw manages to fill in that wheel gap with every model except their awd xi series and it really sets the vehicles off. Not only that there is usually the benefit of better handling with the exception that you watch for parking bump stops and steep driveways.

Ketzer
01-18-09, 12:52 PM
I don't think anyone is saying bag this beotch and set it on the rockers. Just a little adjustment to fill that gap above the tire. No slamma jamma. No draggin the crossmember. Mebbe just an inch or so adjustment. No one wants to re-invent the engineers work. No one wants to ruin anything. Just make the car look a little less pedestrian. A touch more attitude. All the pro car builders agree, stance is everything.

Jeff-