: Low mileage Northstar

D'Elegance
01-17-09, 01:45 AM
So i have the chance to purchase a 1999 ETC with only 40,000 miles on it. At first i figured this was good. However i thought about it and how the dexcool usually reacts terrible with air when it sits so i was wondering if its a good idea to buy a 10 year old car with only 40,000 miles on it. What do you guys think? :hmm:

misfit6794
01-17-09, 05:07 AM
Worried about headgaskets? Buy a 2000 or newer, any pre 2000 is a crapshoot. With that low mileage, assume the coolant was probably never changed.

97EldoCoupe
01-17-09, 07:11 AM
Buy it. But factor a JG job into the purchase price, so get the owner to come down a ways. If all is well you won't need a HG job for a long time to come. But when you do, you saved enough to allow for that.

Ranger
01-17-09, 01:10 PM
However i thought about it and how the dexcool usually reacts terrible with air when it sits
This is an internet myth.

misfit6794
01-17-09, 01:51 PM
Yea, it actually just turns to a mud like state when it hasn't been changed in a long time.

Ranger
01-17-09, 06:51 PM
That's not true either. The muddy look is from the sealant tabs. If you don't change it for 20 years it will look just like it did when it went in.

misfit6794
01-17-09, 07:11 PM
I hate to disagree but my 99 blazer and my sisters 02 grand am, both with dexcool, no tabs, turned to mud after 2-3 years,I witnessed it with my own eyes.

Ranger
01-17-09, 09:31 PM
They probably have cast iron blocks. It was rust, not Dex. I changed the coolant on my '97 after 5 years and it looked just like the stuff I replaced it with.

D'Elegance
01-17-09, 09:31 PM
Thanks guys, but whats a JG job? The car is only actually gonna cost me $2800 so it seems worth it but not if the head gasket is gonna go. And whats the deal with 2000 and up, no head gasket problems?

STSj90
01-17-09, 09:43 PM
I think he ment HG job.(headgasket job) That will only cost $1500 if you get it done by 97eldo. And he does the best HG job you can have done. With studs.

For 2800 id get that car. Sounds like a steal!!!!!!!!!! Even That $ plus an HG job sounds like a good price. And if you do the HG job yourself its cheaper. But you wont have warranty. A dealer charges around $3500 for the HG job.

Anyway, Who says the hg's will fail? And if they do, it might be awhile. Like i said, thats a good price even with an hg job factored in.

99 Concours Guy
01-17-09, 09:50 PM
Is it possible u can get service records? That may help you. If not do your homework, but IMHO it sounds like a pretty good deal. How bout it Ranger's and Eldo what do you think. JG should be HG.

Ranger
01-17-09, 10:00 PM
Thanks guys, but whats a JG job? The car is only actually gonna cost me $2800 so it seems worth it but not if the head gasket is gonna go. And whats the deal with 2000 and up, no head gasket problems?

I'm sure he meant HG. Just a typo.

There where some improvements made in 2000 that lessened the chances of a HG failure. I think there was another improvement in '03 or '04.

You can get all the service records with the VIN from any GM dealer if the car was service at a GM dealer. Obviously, they do not have records of what they did not service.

creeker
01-17-09, 10:39 PM
Is it possible u can get service records? That may help you. If not do your homework, but IMHO it sounds like a pretty good deal. How bout it Ranger's and Eldo what do you think. JG should be HG.

Ditto,I wouldn't assume it hasn't been maintained just becuase it has low miles,but I would be very interested in finding service records. Maybe worth the money to have it inspected by a mechanic that knows N*'s.

[NortHStaR]
01-18-09, 01:32 AM
I would snatch it up for sure it seems like the HG on the northstars go at around 100k so you still have 50k - 60k left before you will have to start worrying about it.

Just my .02

D'Elegance
01-18-09, 02:41 PM
Ah head gasket i shoulda figured that out myself. Yeah at first i was skeptical about $2800 for a price, but i guess the guy said it was his mothers and she passed away or somethin like that and he was just lookin to get rid of it. So i called him back and left a message im just waitin to hear back. :bouncy:

**concours**
01-25-10, 10:50 AM

Well considering a $40.000 car when new and you can get it $2,800 even if you had do do headgaskets later on you will still come out ahead.thats a good deal man.

cl1986
01-25-10, 09:03 PM
ya wheres is at? Ill go get it LOL!!

ejguillot
01-26-10, 06:16 PM
I think he ment HG job.(headgasket job) That will only cost $1500 if you get it done by 97eldo. And he does the best HG job you can have done. With studs.

For 2800 id get that car. Sounds like a steal!!!!!!!!!! Even That $ plus an HG job sounds like a good price. And if you do the HG job yourself its cheaper. But you wont have warranty. A dealer charges around $3500 for the HG job.

Anyway, Who says the hg's will fail? And if they do, it might be awhile. Like i said, thats a good price even with an hg job factored in.

Jake (97Eldo) charges $2200 Canadian for the job now, all taxes included.

Notice of price increase on HG replacement (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/171083-notice-price-increase-hg-replacement.html)

It's still worth it, as you get a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, and he takes care of the lower half oil leaks as well.

Skiller.
01-26-10, 10:13 PM
The chances are in your favor that the HG will be fine. There seems to be a certain paranoia around the internet with the HG failure. Just because you see a few posts about the HG, doesn't mean yours is going to fail. My 97 has 103k on it and it runs like new.

stoveguyy
01-27-10, 11:44 PM
have you seen the car in person? i have looked at many cars due to low prices and never seem to find an excellent condition car. maybe you will get lucky.

zr1mark
02-05-10, 02:05 PM
My next door neighbor's father, in his 80's has a Polo green '99 ETC with 5k miles on it.....

I've been trying to buy that car for years.............................

Skiller.
02-05-10, 06:12 PM
LOL

I'm not sure that would be the BEST thing in the world, since you know it's all city driving, which is where most of your wear and tear comes from.

From Service records, I found out that in October of 2003, my car had 80,000 miles on it. It now has 100,000 miles nearly 7 years later. In my case, I'm sure that's a good thing :P

Destroyer
02-07-10, 09:30 PM
Well considering a $40.000 car when new and you can get it $2,800 even if you had do do headgaskets later on you will still come out ahead.That isn't how this works. You judge by what it is worth now. What it was worth when new is irrelevant. Most N* cars of this vintage were leases or rental fleet cars anyway. History has shown that lower priced new cars hold more value than high priced luxury cars. Facts are facts. If he buys now for $2800 and has to spend that much a few thousand miles down the road to fix an inherent problem with these cars (and head gaskets are not the only problem with these cars) he loses.

97EldoCoupe
02-08-10, 01:48 AM
Destroyer is right for the most part, unless you look at it like I do: "Shoot, this car was $50,000 when it was new. I just picked it up for less than a grand. I know I need to do the HG's, but when that's done, I'll have a nice reliable luxury car to drive, and it only cost me about as much as one car payment- from here it's just basic maintenace".

One f-ed up retard said to a friend of mine that he was smarter than me- he could buy 5 cars like his for what mine is worth, referring to my black on black '98 STS. He's driving a friggin smartcar. I laughed so hard when I heard this. First of all he's wrong and secondly who would want to drive that death trap on the freeway...

97EldoCoupe
02-08-10, 01:50 AM
The book value is higher on a new Smartcar than a 98 STS in mint condition. Which would you rather drive? (We're not talking about cost per mile)

Skiller.
02-08-10, 11:25 AM
Smartcar, obviously. The car will probably lose control if you stick your hand out the window on the freeway :D

Destroyer
02-08-10, 09:29 PM
Destroyer is right for the most part, unless you look at it like I do: "Shoot, this car was $50,000 when it was new. I just picked it up for less than a grand. I know I need to do the HG's, but when that's done, I'll have a nice reliable luxury car to drive, and it only cost me about as much as one car payment- from here it's just basic maintenace".

Jake you have a point as well. If you can find a mint condition car, yes even a N* equipped one for the right price it would be worth dealing with the H/G issue for driving pleasure if not monetary value. The cars do drive nice and are pleasurable when they are not giving problems. If I had an STS instead of a Deville which really isn't a very good looking car I may have done the repair.

mikelawson
02-11-10, 09:29 AM
From my experience the head gasket failures are more time related than mileage related. For example, about a month ago I replaced them on a 99 SLS with 47,000 miles on it and three weeks ago a 2000 Deville with 190,000 miles. I've seen mileage all over the place, but for the most part 120,000 seems to be the average. I agree Cadillac's are a great used car buy and after the head gaskets have been replaced, they are more reliable than any other used car that you could purchase for similar money.

97EldoCoupe
02-11-10, 07:54 PM
Mike, Reliability goes to the GM 3800 V6 - hands down. I only have one problem with that engine - it needs two more cylinders, 20 extra valves, and 3 more cams. And yes it's time, not mileage.

Destroyer - someday you'll be getting a Cadillac from me. I don't know when, what model, or what year - but someday you'll have a Northstar that you can drive the hell out of and it'll hold up.

C0RSA1R
02-14-10, 05:23 AM
So i have the chance to purchase a 1999 ETC with only 40,000 miles on it. At first i figured this was good. However i thought about it and how the dexcool usually reacts terrible with air when it sits so i was wondering if its a good idea to buy a 10 year old car with only 40,000 miles on it. What do you guys think? :hmm:

Oh man. I hope the OP bought this car. I got my '98 ETC with 81K and I'm the happiest man in the world when I'm behind the wheel. Late model Eldos just scream cool. All my male friends love the car for the power and the looks, and if the looks don't win over the ladies (unlikely, this is a sexy car), the heated seats and interior design will. True story: Two weeks ago, I happened to run into a girl that I'd had a fling with about four months back. The first thing she asked me was, "What kind of car do you have again?" Naturally, I showed her rather than tell her. The next morning, she asked me to email her the link to the Edmund's review of the Eldorado. That never happened with my '97 Cutty Supreme (and, at the time, I thought that was the coolest car ever).

:thumbsup:

Please tell me you bought this car, OP!

C0RSA1R
02-14-10, 05:25 AM
Jake (97Eldo) charges $2200 Canadian for the job now, all taxes included.

Notice of price increase on HG replacement (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/171083-notice-price-increase-hg-replacement.html)

It's still worth it, as you get a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty, and he takes care of the lower half oil leaks as well.

Amen!! I had a scare back about two months ago, and I was ready to make the drive myself at a moment's notice if the word came back that the HGs were bad. Fortunately, it was the nipple on the coolant tank that had cracked, causing a slow but steady coolant leak when the engine was warm. This is a common problem, so I've heard, so if your N* Eldo ever leaks coolant, make sure to rule that out first!!

C0RSA1R
02-14-10, 05:30 AM
I think if we got Jake and 'Destroyer' in a room together, gave them a 12-pack and a few hours, then sent some GM engineers in there, the American auto industry would be saved.

Apologies to Ford - I'm proud that they didn't take any bailout cash, but they're still not Cadillac.