: Help me out guys!

ryannel2003
01-16-09, 04:29 PM
Calling Chevrolet guys here...

My mom's new '08 Yukon Denali XL has been having issues with the tranny ever since she got it. It was thrashing into gear from reverse to drive, and has been slow to downshift. Took it to the dealer for a oil change last week and they updated software, and everything seemed ok. Until today, when she called me and said she floored it and it just went up to 5k RPM's and finally shifted. She said "I think it's just me" and then I told her no, that isn't right. No car should do that. She has taken it by my dealership (also a GMC dealer) and having someone drive it now.

I have read many, many comments on how the 6.0L V8 and these 6 speed auto trannies haven't been behaving, and the Edmund's test mule '07 Silverado transmission saga sounds alot like what my moms truck does - clunky shifting, loss of power, etc. When she gets home I'll ask her the deal, but in the meantime what is the consensus here? I've looked at a couple of TSB's on the internet, and found this:

GMC: FLARE AND OR HARSH 2-3 SHIFTS. THIS CONDITION MAY BE CAUSED BY LEAKING 1-2-3-4 AND 3-5-R CLUTCH FLUID SEAL RINGS (230). MODELS CADILLACS, CHEVROLETS, GMC, HUMMERS, PONTIACS. EQUIPPED WITH 6L80 (RPO MYC) OR 6L90 (RPO MYD) AUTOMATI ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10026149

creeker
01-16-09, 04:52 PM
Have you shown a copy of the TSB's to the dealership?.

ryannel2003
01-16-09, 06:01 PM
No but I am taking it back next week for sure. I drove it and noticed extreme hesitation when punching it; i've driven a few Denali's and Escalade's and they have never done that. Hopefully it will be figured out soon.

creeker
01-16-09, 06:34 PM
No but I am taking it back next week for sure. I drove it and noticed extreme hesitation when punching it; i've driven a few Denali's and Escalade's and they have never done that. Hopefully it will be figured out soon.

Actually I should have asked before,is the dealer trying to correct the problem or are they denying anything is wrong?.

orconn
01-16-09, 06:53 PM
What's the "Lemon Law" like in North Carolina? If there is a wide spread problem with these vehicles I'd take it in however many times it takes and if it isn't fixed, dump it back on GM. I wouldn't play Mr or Mrs Nice Guy these things cost too much to put up with a major defect like you are descrbing.

tman2093
01-16-09, 07:09 PM
NC lemon laws are pretty strict if I recall, its hard to get a car deemed a lemon. But that problem needs to be fixed under warranty. Demand they fix it or a lawsuit

orconn
01-16-09, 07:36 PM
NC lemon laws are pretty strict if I recall, its hard to get a car deemed a lemon. But that problem needs to be fixed under warranty. Demand they fix it or a lawsuit

Google " North Carolina Lemon Law" there is quite a bit of info. The main thing is keep taking it in to the dealer to get it corrected, involve the regional GM service people and keep after it until it is either fixed under warranty or you've established your attempts under the Lemon Law. Let's face that thing cost a pretty penny ........... and hugely depriciated right out of the dealer door. You should expect to get a properly operating vehicle for your out lay. If the dealer can't fix it, escalate your complaint to the regional people if they can't get it fixed, get it replaced with a properly functioning product or get your money back under the NC Lemon Law. After four attempts to get it fixed talk to an attorney.

ryannel2003
01-16-09, 11:22 PM
It's the first time the truck had had issues with the tranny that we've gone as far as to take to a dealer. My mom always noticed that it didn't shift as smoothly as it should, even going as far to saying her old '05 Yukon XL was a much better truck. Once the software was re-flashed, she noticed that it shifted much better. But today, she noticed that it wasn't behaving "quite right". I've always noticed the hesitation, but no so much in other Escalade's and Denali's i've driven. We're going to have it figured out next week hopefully. I'll take a copy of the TSB in and see what is going on. Other than this issue, the truck has been great. Smooth, comfortable, and extremely well assembled. Much nicer than her '05 was.

So far, nobody has denied anything. We've bought 6 cars from this dealer over the past 14 years and I work there, so the problem will be fixed or she'll raise hell, and I'll be extremely upset. We did have someone drive it and during the test drive it was behaving normally. Don't they all?

RightTurn
01-17-09, 12:21 AM
Try posting on this board http://www.tahoeforum.com/ . Maybe someone there is familiar with the issue. Good luck!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-17-09, 12:31 AM
Yeah, do what orconn said. Take it back to the dealer and have it fixed under warranty and keep a record of the repairs. In IL if you have the same problem repaired in a car 3 or more times withing 6? years of purchasing it new it is considered a lemon and the dealer must buy the car back for the same price you paid for it.