: Is your Cat as power hungry as mine?

bubba1978
01-16-09, 02:10 PM
My cat seems to be really power hungry when it come to battery voltage. With the blower on high, the rear defroster on and one seat heater on the voltage needle just barely starts to tickle the red low voltage zone of the gauge. I had the Alt. tested last year and it came back fine. I had this same problem last year and if didn't let the car idle with everything off for a few minutes at the end of the day the car would barely start the next morning. Or like today not at all. It was pretty cold out and it didn't have enough juice to fire up the engine. I changed out the battery and it killed that one right away from cranking because i think it was flooded from before. Any ideas on how to fix this or is it just the nature of the vehicle?

AHazzardToAll
01-16-09, 02:21 PM
seems to be the case with mine too, i been looking into getting an optima battery and seeing if this helped any,.... the needle will defiantly dip if you've got some subs bumpin in the trunk :bigroll:.

CateraMV6
01-16-09, 02:35 PM
Well I had the original battery from AC DELCO it was something like a 300-400CCA... so then I wanted a better one... and called around my dad even made some phone calls the best one i found was in the 580CCA and was something like 180$.... i said effit ... and went to walmart to get a charger or something of that sort... and spotted some batteries... looked around and found a 700CCA battery that fit my car and was almost 2 months old (since production) in comparison the rest on the shelf were in the 6-8mo old... so then I put that battery in and now I dont have any issues starting the car...

The only thing you wanna do is shut off everything the night before... so when you turn the ignition nothing bu thte engine stuff turns on...

This morning it started in -12F weather with just a signle turn of the enigne... it amazed me... how fast it started. The suspension was squeaking like a mother and the heater fan was making strange noises but the engine was fine..

Ohh did I mention that the battery was also 65$ from WALMART.... and has 1yr replacement warranty...
I could have paid another 20$ and it would have given me 3 yr warranty...

With the cold weather weak batteries will die and leave you stranded on the side of the road...
They might work fine in down to 20deg weather but anything below that and you will have problems...

Good luck.

Southern-Hospitality
01-17-09, 02:19 AM
I don't have this problem, my delco battery just recently died and I put something else in. I can't remember when it is but I'll check tomorrow.

I ran full heat, and 3/4 heated seats HIDS and my stereo tonight and my V meter didn't even really move...

JRomano
01-20-09, 03:35 AM
I notice whenever I'm idling and the rear defroster is on the voltage will drop to the Redline border, if I give the car any gas even just a little to make the engine rev above the indicated 500rpm (~700rpm in reality) then suddenly the blower gets louder and the voltage jumps up to almost halfway. If i stop using the rear defroster then the voltage will also return to halfway.

graphicsman
01-20-09, 04:48 AM
I just went through a weird alternator thing. Tested the charging of the battery and things looked bad. Checked the cables and things seemed okay. Suspected alternator. Pulled alternator. I seemed that there may have been some arcing. Got the alternator tested and it tested okay, if a little tiny bit on the low side. Decided to replace it with a rebuilt one. Things are fine now.

I'd check the alternator and look carefully at the bolts for arcing.

iiF3LiXii
01-20-09, 08:01 PM
thought i should mention...

Fact; HID replacement kits actually use less power then factory set up.:cool2:

Sabresch
01-26-09, 10:09 PM
Just tossing this in, I had numerous crazy power issues with my 2000 Cat (way past the trunk, gas access, radio issues) and a constant drain on the battery. I broke down and got the infamous multi function module and amazingly 98% of the problems went away. After replacing the module I took the old one apart and you could see it had been hot, and also it was the original from the manufacturer date.

AHazzardToAll
01-26-09, 10:12 PM
i threw in an optima red top battery today and didn't help.