: Daytime running lights and sensor to turn lights on @ dawn/dusk

Cub Cadet
01-16-09, 12:44 PM
Has anyone come up with a DRL killer? I have one wired in my Trailblazer SS and it works great, but my dusk/dawn sensor still turns the lights on. I want to be able to turn the lights on and off when I want to, not when the car wants them to. Is there a sensitivity adjustment or way to stop the lights form ocoming on on their own at dusk/dawn?

james4513
01-16-09, 03:37 PM
The DRL's work great on this car. The switch to lights-on works great and as you would expect. Why would you want to turn the DRL's off? You are safer and the car looks great in DRL's.

marktanner
01-16-09, 04:21 PM
It's very easy to turn off the DRL's. Just turn off the auto-light function by rotating the light ring toward you, clockwise. It is spring loaded and will return to neutral. The display will say "auto-lights off". You turn the DRL's or headlights back on by repeating the procedure. The DRL's or lights will still come on automatically when you restart the car. If you manually turn on the headlights by rotating the switch the other way, the lights will not swivel but will be locked straight ahead, and they will no longer switch on or aff automatically. Valets sometimes make this mistake.

I like to turn off my DRL's to make my car less conspicuous to the police, and it saves a tiny bit of fuel as well.

Kadonny
01-16-09, 04:38 PM
^^^^^^ Me too. It's just cooler during the day with the DRLs off. As said above, just toggle the auto switch towards you and off they go. Perfect set up.

readyact
01-16-09, 04:50 PM
I agree I like the feature to turn off the DRLs. Sometimes during the day I turn off the DRLs and run with the LEDs and fog lamps for that cool look. A lot of new GM cars come with the option to manually control the DRLs as a lot of people hate DRLs.

GM-4-LIFE
01-16-09, 07:44 PM
My 2006 CTS-V was perfect. It allowed you to turn on the headlamps whenever you wanted with no interference from the sensor on the dash and it also had an auto selection as well, but there was no way to turn off the DRLs, but the DRLs on my first CTS-V were these deep amber lamps that looked cool at dusk.

SG

proexpert
01-17-09, 10:13 PM
Dumb question from a non-V owner, does the V2 have the light pipes like the regular CTS?

Kadonny
01-18-09, 09:58 AM
Dumb question from a non-V owner, does the V2 have the light pipes like the regular CTS?

What's a light pipe?

GM-4-LIFE
01-18-09, 01:00 PM

The CTS-V does have front and rear LED light pipes.

SG

GMX322V S/C
01-18-09, 02:49 PM
What's a light pipe?They're the tubes that make up the vertical, lit elements in our headlight and taillight assemblies. Light can be introduced into one end and the tube can carry it and emit it out the other end, hence the term "light pipe." They're often used to control light in instrument clusters and the like. In our application, light is introduced into both ends of the tubes and they are scored and shaped internally so that they emit light along their entire length. I believe BMW's "angel eyes" were the first automotive application of this type of "side-emission" tech.

CSX
01-18-09, 05:36 PM
I like to turn off my DRL's...and it saves a tiny bit of fuel as well.

...wow.

louiefl99
01-18-09, 11:02 PM
I read this and thought, how much gasoline do the DRLs use? Thanks to being cursed with a career in engineering I did a little digging. Gasoline contains 114,100 BTUs per gallon or the potential to generate 27,270 watts. Internal combustion engines are about 25% efficient in creating useable crank power (the rest is heat), and alternators are about 50% efficient in converting belt power to electrical power. Doing the math, a gallon of gasoline is good for about 3400 watts of electrical power. Making the math easy, I'm assuming the DRLs use 34 watts, so a gallon is good for 100 hours of DRL illumination, or say 4500 miles (assuming 45 mph average). Averaging 15 mpg over that distance, you would use 301 gallons instead of 300; you gas mileage drops from 15 mpg to 14.95 mpg.

JEM
01-18-09, 11:08 PM
The 'safety' aspect of DRLs is pretty much nonexistent. I wouldn't particularly want them myself; I'm the old-fashioned sort who wants control over my lights.

And, given that they're illegal in some markets where the car is or will be sold there's unquestionably something to be recoded or unplugged somewhere to disable them. Maybe even a different headlight switch.

Now, someone just needs to figure out where or what.

randian
01-19-09, 03:16 AM
Can it be set up to work like this?

1) No lights (running, head, marker, or otherwise) on during the day
2) The full light package (as you would get by turning the dial to full "on") automatically turns on at dusk
3) Everything automatically turns off at dawn

That's how my current car works and it's very convenient.

marktanner
01-19-09, 08:10 AM
No, The DRL's have to be turned off each time you start the car, but it's very easy and just a mild inconvenience, if that's what you want to do.

Kadonny
01-19-09, 09:26 AM
Turned off and turned on. If you switch the DRLs off, then all the lights go off and the automatic lights go off. If you are driving during the day then it turns to dusk, you have to switch the lights back on.

Still to me it's a perfectly acceptable setup.

GM-4-LIFE
01-19-09, 11:52 AM
There is a relatively simply fix for those of you that don't want DRLs on at all during the day.

Has anyone tried to remove the DRL bulbs altogether? The DRLs have their own socket and bulb, so if you don't want them on at all, just take the bulb out and call it a day!

I myself don't mind the DRLs and I am searching for an LED replacement bulb for them to achieve a better look.

SG

Cub Cadet
01-19-09, 12:13 PM
The reason I posted this is because I have never been a GM person and I have always disliked the DRL's. Now that I have GM vehicles, I am trying to figure out how to disable DRL's and keep the lights from coming on on their own. I know that I can just turn the knob, but that gets old fast.
In the past I have always had Ford's and have been able to adjust all of that. In my Trailblazer SS, I got a DRL killer kit to install, but it actually doesn't do me any good since the switch still needs turned to keep the lights from coming on at dawn/dusk. I want to control when my lights come on an off since I have installed HID's in the headlights and fog lights and do not want to blow them out. The sensitivity is so light on these things that the lights come on if I go under a bridge. I want to stop all of that so that my HID life is extended.
I agree with you guys about the easy way to get rid of the DRL's ... just pull the bulbs. I will do that when I get mine. The next step will be how to control the headlights myself rather than having the car control that.

jvp
01-19-09, 12:36 PM
Has anyone tried to remove the DRL bulbs altogether? The DRLs have their own socket and bulb, so if you don't want them on at all, just take the bulb out and call it a day!

All well and good unless you live in a state with annual safety inspections. If the inspector has to check the operation of the lights, and he knows the car is supposed to have DRLs, you could fail (you would here in VA).

Not a good idea. Just shutting them off when you fire the car up is the better solution. Takes an extra half a second.

jas

GM-4-LIFE
01-19-09, 02:41 PM
All well and good unless you live in a state with annual safety inspections. If the inspector has to check the operation of the lights, and he knows the car is supposed to have DRLs, you could fail (you would here in VA).

Not a good idea. Just shutting them off when you fire the car up is the better solution. Takes an extra half a second.

jas

jas,

I don't mind the DRLs. It would be nice if I could swap the DRL bulbs to an LED type bulb, but it doesn't seem anyone makes a 5201 bulb in LED.

Here in California, we don't have inspections so it would work here to remove the bulb, but if GM's electrical systems are smart, it may throw a code advising you that a bulb is out or missing. If anyone removes the bulbs, they can let us know if everything is ok after the removal.

One thing I noticed is when you signal, the DRL for the side you signal shuts off until after your signal is complete, so removing the DRL bulbs may throw a code.

SG

The Black Dahlia
01-21-09, 01:22 PM
I dont own a V2, but what I did on my 2008 is disengaged the DRLs by removing the Fuse. Now at dusk/foggy times only the Light Pipes and foglights are illuminated. Looks sinister! Hope that helps someone!

GM-4-LIFE
01-21-09, 05:26 PM
I dont own a V2, but what I did on my 2008 is disengaged the DRLs by removing the Fuse. Now at dusk/foggy times only the Light Pipes and foglights are illuminated. Looks sinister! Hope that helps someone!

Thanks for the info! Can you tell us which fuse you pulled so we can try this mod out?

SG