: 87 B'hmn versus '93 SDV

riccihouston
01-16-09, 03:31 AM
Hi guys, new to site, always loved Cadillacs and finally found two that I really like. Both are one-owners and same price range that I can afford. The '87 B'hmn is dark blue and blue velour.. if I was to get this one, I would change out all the fluids and parts such as alternator, pumps, etc... drives great and has 126K miles with the 5.0... the '93 SDV has 92K miles and is a very clean "antelope" color with velour as well (just a pref). My question would be which one would u guys recommend? Which one would be the most practical? I really love the blue one, but it will need a paint job while the SDV is fine the way it is.. not concerned with gas mileage.. any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated! Will be buyin either next week. Thanks!

Aron9000
01-16-09, 04:21 AM
The 1993 will handle better and be a lot quicker. Although it doesn't have the pimp status like the 87.

Keep in mind a quality paint job for that 87 will run at least a couple thousand dollars.

96Fleetwood
01-16-09, 08:34 AM
Practical: '93 Sedan Deville. Fuel injected, more electronic goodies, better gas mileage, easier to partk.

The Brougham is a nice weekend cruiser. If the Brougham was a '90-92 with the 5.7 liter TBI motor, then it would be a harder choice.

csbuckn
01-16-09, 09:29 AM
Practical purpose, the deville. More style, the brougham. But when people say cadillacs are expensive to fix, I usually relate that to fwd caddys like the deville. The internet probably makes them cheaper to fix though

sven914
01-16-09, 07:49 PM
My opinion is that the Brougham is a car that you can be proud of. It is a car that genuinely looks and feels like a Cadillac, so driving it feels like 40 years of history. If you get the Brougham, and fix it up, take care of it and make it your's, then it will make you proud to hand the ignition key over to your first born.

I've driven several 90's Sedan De Ville's, and their nice, with a roomy soft interior, all digital gauges, and the comfort of safety (Air Bags and Antilock Brakes), but they have no prestige. Unlike the brougham they shared the "C" platform with the 90's Buick Electra and Oldsmobile 98 (the Brougham was alone on the "D" platform), so they don't feel like a Cadillac, but more like a generic car.

96Fleetwood
01-16-09, 08:04 PM
Unlike the brougham they shared the "C" platform with the 90's Buick Electra and Oldsmobile 98 (the Brougham was alone on the "D" platform), so they don't feel like a Cadillac, but more like a generic car.

But if you look at it that way, couldn't you say a Brougham is a fancy '80-89 Caprice or '80-85 Park Avenue? It was the sole continuation of that platform besides the wagon versions.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-16-09, 09:40 PM
I like the way the Brougham looks and feels better, but the deVille drives better. The deVille is faster, better on gas, easier to park, better handling. The Brougham is floaty, slow, not as fuel efficient or responsive, but it's a better looking car with a much more "Cadillac traditional" interior and road feel. So your best bet is to drive them both and see which you like better.

sven914
01-16-09, 11:33 PM
But if you look at it that way, couldn't you say a Brougham is a fancy '80-89 Caprice or '80-85 Park Avenue? It was the sole continuation of that platform besides the wagon versions.
Sure the Caprice, Park Avenue, and Olds 98 share similar features with the Brougham, but if you took a Brougham and a Caprice, stripped them both to a rolling shell, and then attempted to build a Caprice on the Brougham, the body panels wouldn't match. If you did the same to the "C" body cars, the doors, fenders, hood, front bumper, and grill, and even engine are interchangeable. Once you have a rolling shell, the only thing that distinguishes it from a Chevy, Buick, Olds, or Cadillac is the rear quarter panels and tail light bezel.

77CDV
01-16-09, 11:41 PM
It comes to two things. If you want a car that really looks like a Cadillac, get the Brougham. If you'd rather have a car that can get out of it's own way, buy the SDV.

Craig

Aron9000
01-16-09, 11:45 PM
I'd actually go for the 87 Brougham. The Deville does have more electronic features, but that's more stuff to break/short out. The Deville would be a lot more expensive to fix and is not nearly as easy to work on as the Brougham.

Considering the age on both of these cars, the simplier car is going to give you fewer problems.

I'd also look for a 90-92 Brougham with the 350 TBI. While not fast, it'll get out of its own way a lot better than that 307.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-17-09, 02:33 AM
For an every day driver, go with the DeVille. Believe me, the Broughams are great cars, but they are mostly highway cruisers and are dogs to drive in the city. My friend has an '85 Fleetwood and it is by far the best riding car I have ever been in, but I like the floaty feel. However, it is large, slow and handles like absolute crap. I think the Brougham has a quarter mile time of nearly 20 seconds. Going from that to my Fleetwood (FWD, same as a DeVille) makes my car feel like a rocket ship, and she ain't no speed demon either. In my friend's Fleetwood you have to take corners at like 3 mph because it has so much body roll and to accelerate you have to have the car floored almost all the time. The car is designed for one purpose, to go in a straight line. The DeVille will also do much better in the snow if you live up north. Its a FWD car with a nice heavy engine which means it gets amazing traction in slick conditions.

Also I have noticed that the interiors in the Broughams actually have less room than the DeVilles. The DeVilles are more comfortable and do offer more goodies. They come with the fuel data center, power seats and a host of other goodies not usually found on the Broughams. Another thing that bothers me is my friend's Fleetwood does not have reclining seats and the seat backs lean too far back and are uncomfortable. As for repairs, the it will cost more to work on the DeVille, but not much and things rarely go wrong. The '91-'93 DeVilles are some of the most reliable Cadillacs you will find. You also have to remember that the Brougham is a high profile car and a cop magnet. I have flown past IL State Troopers in my car doing well over 75 in a 55 and not gotten pulled over. On the other hand my friend got pulled over 3 times in one night driving home from my house because the cops wanted to make sure he was not in violation of curfew. It attracts a lot of unwanted attention.

Aron9000
01-17-09, 04:09 AM
^ That's weird that the seats don't recline. Every brougham I've seen has the power recline button on the door. The 87 he is looking at has the 307, which is a lot quicker than that 4100 in the 85. As for it handling like crap, my 1991 is pretty agile(they did stiffen up the suspension on 350 cars though) and doesn't have hardly any body roll. Its no sports car, but I've kept up with my buddy's Miata on a twisty back road(granted I had driven that road a million times)

hueterm
01-17-09, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't even consider one that wasn't a '90-92 and only the 5.7L. My Roadmaster had the same engine (not the LT1) and it was OK on power and great on torque. But the 5.0 would have to be slow in comparison.

The Deville will have WAY more interior space and comfort. It also has 30000 less miles. I'd go w/it all other things being equal.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-17-09, 05:48 PM
I might consider a 307 Brougham against a 4.9L deVille....IF the Brougham was a d'Elegance in great condition, with low miles, had the wire wheel covers, and in one of my favorite color combos.

sven914
01-17-09, 06:55 PM
You also have to remember that the Brougham is a high profile car and a cop magnet. I have flown past IL State Troopers in my car doing well over 75 in a 55 and not gotten pulled over. On the other hand my friend got pulled over 3 times in one night driving home from my house because the cops wanted to make sure he was not in violation of curfew. It attracts a lot of unwanted attention.
That doesn't exactly mean anything. Ohio police are notorious for giving drivers a hard time if they're five MPH over. On more than one occasion, I've blown past cops (both staties and sheriffs), in my 89 Brougham, doing 60-70mph in a residential 45. They don't even look twice.

Destroyer
01-17-09, 08:50 PM
Sure the Caprice, Park Avenue, and Olds 98 share similar features with the Brougham, but if you took a Brougham and a Caprice, stripped them both to a rolling shell, and then attempted to build a Caprice on the Brougham, the body panels wouldn't match. If you did the same to the "C" body cars, the doors, fenders, hood, front bumper, and grill, and even engine are interchangeable. Once you have a rolling shell, the only thing that distinguishes it from a Chevy, Buick, Olds, or Cadillac is the rear quarter panels and tail light bezel.There is no difference in quality distinguishing the Brougham from those cars. Frames and in many cases drivetrains/suspension are the same. Only difference is styling. Of course, the Brougham looks the best. :cool:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-17-09, 08:57 PM
That doesn't exactly mean anything. Ohio police are notorious for giving drivers a hard time if they're five MPH over. On more than one occasion, I've blown past cops (both staties and sheriffs), in my 89 Brougham, doing 60-70mph in a residential 45. They don't even look twice.

Yeah, around here they are targeted pretty well by cops. I cannot tell you the number of times we have been followed around in that car simply because they see 3 kids my age riding around in it. They are notorious gang banger cars, especially in the city. For some reason my friend refuses to let me tint the back windows even though I have done it on my car and it looks pretty good for being the first tint job I ever did.

Aron, I thought the same thing about the seats. His is a Fleetwood Brougham even and the seats do not recline at all. The ones in my Fleetwood are at least manual and you just gotta pull the handle. Also, the suspension on the 350 was far better handling wise because that car was built to pull a trailer. It does no good to have 5000 lb pushing you around while you struggle to keep control of it. Yes the 305 will be quicker but a DeVille will still blow it out of the water, especially if it has the 4.9.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-17-09, 09:53 PM
Between driving Brian's '90 Brougham with the TBI 350 and my 4.9L deVille, the Brougham would almost match the 4.9 for initial acceleration out of the hole, but past 30 or so, the 4.9 would walk away from it. A TBI 350 Brougham is a low-mid 9 second 0-60. A TBI 305 Brougham is roughly a low-mid 10 second 0-60...and if it's the 307, then you're looking at 12-13 seconds.

A lot of the older (post '77, up to roughly '85 or so) Broughams and deVilles did not have reclining seats. I remember Rick said his '79 SDV d'Elegance did not have 'em, which I thought was odd, especially for a d'Elegance, but that's just the way it was back then I guess.