: 5 hour Cad ownership and need help ASAP

Solarman
01-15-09, 11:06 PM
Well first 5 hours with new Catera just got back from safty and Etest
and license office. Car worked great all day so wife took it to work.
-28c with wind chill car ran great to work shut her off 3 hours later
come out get in turn ket dash lights all up head lights come on turn
key to start position and nothing no click or crank or anything!!!
Any thoughts? I have her getting towed home tommorow. I think the
extreme warmth from being in my garage for 2 days with 70 plus
temperature then sitting out side then driving may have brought on
some frost on the starter solonoid and relay!!! any help would be great.

:bomb:

Southern-Hospitality
01-15-09, 11:56 PM
The lights coming on makes me think crankshaft positioning sensor. But I seem to think that's the problem with everyone's car.

Leave the key in the ignition in the on position (not started) for about 10 minutes, then give it a try.

Sorry to hear you're first day with the car has been a confusing one. Good luck!

Btw, If it is the positioning sensor it should be about $250-$300 from a respectable mechanic (not GM)

AHazzardToAll
01-16-09, 01:20 AM
i replaced mine myself for 65bux. There's a how-to on here somewhere....

Solarman
01-16-09, 09:21 AM
The engine does not even turn over or click when the key is turned from my reading here the CPS seems like most people have running issues or hard starting with the CPS.
Has any one had no engine crank?
Tow truck drops her here belore lunch and I am going to start with the starter and solonoid first as well as wires to it sound to be an issue as well.

darksky47
01-16-09, 09:34 AM
The car will still crank even if the cps is bad sounds to me like maybe the battery is bad or the cables to the battery need to be cleaned i would check that first.

gunther1000
01-16-09, 10:42 AM
Darksky is dead on here, If it wont crank how do you people think it "Knows" the cps is bad? That make no sence, or you others didn't bother to read his problem.

I had the same issue and if you jump start it it may or may not make it crank.
I had a bad positive cable on mine but many times you can simply remove the terminal and clean it with a wire brush and it will work like a champ.

Don't have it towed till you at least take a cresent wrench over there and try to get the terminal to make contact.

It should be that simple.

Good luck!

bubba1978
01-16-09, 02:03 PM
HMMM...this sounds like the same thing that happened to me last year after owning the car for a month. At first the car would crank and never fire. I would crank it till the battery was almost dead and nothing. I replaced the CPS and the car started fine for about a week. This time the engine would not even crank...hook up my jumper cables to my truck and it fired right up. This happened a few time then i finally got sick of it and removed the battery and had it tested. Autozone said the battery was fine so i then removed the alternator and had it tested and they said it was fine. After that I started replacing all the battery cabling and put it all back together...still had the problem. Just for shits and grins I swapped out the battery with an extra Optima red top battery and I never had the problem again. Might want to try swapping the battery out with a higher than reccomended CCA battery. These cars seem to be very power hungry with all the accessories they have.

Welcome to the CAT life.

Solarman
01-16-09, 02:52 PM
Well got her home turned the key and I heard the solonod click but did not engage the starter. I crawl under and plug the multi meter 12.5 VDC at the battery side turn the key click goes the solnoid and no 12VDC to the starter motor. So I jumped the B+ and starter terminal and she cranked and started!!!
I then shut it off and turned the key and it started as normal.

So now that I have the car running what do I do? keep in mind it is new to me less than 10 km and my wife took her on the maiden voyage. Did the moisture get in and freeze? -32c with windchill and the sun was on the road all day and was wet!! I just dont know what to do here should I pull the starter? put a heater under her??

Southern-Hospitality
01-17-09, 02:20 AM
The car will still crank even if the cps is bad sounds to me like maybe the battery is bad or the cables to the battery need to be cleaned i would check that first.

When mine went, the car wouldn't crank...

kaustein
01-17-09, 11:57 PM
The lights coming on makes me think crankshaft positioning sensor. But I seem to think that's the problem with everyone's car.

Leave the key in the ignition in the on position (not started) for about 10 minutes, then give it a try.

Sorry to hear you're first day with the car has been a confusing one. Good luck!

Btw, If it is the positioning sensor it should be about $250-$300 from a respectable mechanic (not GM)

CPS at the dealer, less than $150. Cheapest ever dealer Catera repair.

Solarman
01-18-09, 09:39 AM
Well update 2 started and stopped the car over 20 times and has been good been on one small 5 km trip and now starter issues or in that fact any starting issuues!!! Thanks for the help

Southern-Hospitality
01-18-09, 12:07 PM
CPS at the dealer, less than $150. Cheapest ever dealer Catera repair.

My dealer quoted me $680 lol I hate my GM dealer and they probably hate me to so that might be why. (But that was quoted before any of our arguments)

Warez
01-18-09, 10:48 PM
What do you have against the English language that makes you feel so compelled to butcher it the way you do.

It's nearly impossible to understand your posts.

Try using some periods and proper punctuation.

geez

gunther1000
01-19-09, 04:11 PM
Thats odd, I seem to be able to read all of the above post. :hmm:

Warez
01-19-09, 06:42 PM
^^^

I had a bunch of windows open and posted on the wrong forum.

Anyways, sounds similar to what happened to me when my battery way dying.

98 Catera
02-20-09, 11:47 AM
This happened to me the day I bought mine. All lights, no start. It was the battery, I replaced it and never had that problem again.