: Serpetine tensioner

jeffrandi
01-15-09, 07:14 PM
How do you release the serpentine belt tensioner on a 99 Catera to be able to install a new belt?

-Jeff

iiF3LiXii
01-15-09, 07:33 PM
Man bro, if it wasn't 5*F I'd go run out side and take a peek at my 99' Ill get ya some detail tomorrow tho... sorry :closed:

AHazzardToAll
01-15-09, 07:53 PM
do a search.....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/148077-serpentine-belt-tensioner.html

info is pretty widely available....

jeffrandi
01-15-09, 08:27 PM
Yea, I did read that one and many others, but they dont answer my question. One post said the tensioner had a 3/8" square to unload the tenionser with a rachet, my tensioner only has a round hole. (no square at back of hole either.

AHazzardToAll
01-15-09, 08:33 PM
a round hole? you just take the tensioner pulley off, not the whole assembly to replace the belt, it sounds like you're describing the assembly itself,.... i've never seen a cat like what you're describing. do you have pictures?

AHazzardToAll
01-15-09, 08:38 PM
http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/G6000174277GAT.JPG

that's what a normal tensioner pulley looks like on the assembly.

jeffrandi
01-15-09, 08:42 PM
Yep, thats it. So how do you rotate it to get enough slack to put the belt on?

Most other cars I have seen have a square to put a rachet in to rotate which allows installation of the belt.

AHazzardToAll
01-15-09, 08:51 PM
i always just used a breaker bar,...... slip it right under the belt after all the other pulleys are hooked up and slide it on. turn it clockwise,.... i'm not sure i understand what you're asking,.... :hmm:

jeffrandi
01-16-09, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the help.

I was trying to make it difficult. Simple as this:

You just use the nut of the tensioner idler (like you are tighening the nut) to move the tensioner towards the drivers side which provides slack to allow the belt to slip on. Be careful to not let it slip as you put the belt on, would not be good to the fingers.

AHazzardToAll
01-16-09, 11:50 AM
yep, that's how it works.