: Mileage

RogersV
01-15-09, 06:37 PM
What kind of gas mileage should I expect on a 09 CTS-V while cruising at 75 mph? I have a 06 SRT8 and a 03 Saleen, so I'm aware of what a gas guzzler is, :D but the EPA rating of 15 MPH highway (with auto trans) on a V seems a little low for not being in a boost situation. Thanks a lot and hello to all.

james4513
01-15-09, 06:46 PM
I averaged 18 on my 1,400 mile trip from pickup in MI to home in TX. Automatic.

RogersV
01-15-09, 10:45 PM
I averaged 18 on my 1,400 mile trip from pickup in MI to home in TX. Automatic.

James: Thanks for getting back, I'm picking up a Red/Titanium automatic Saturday. The EPA sticker reads 12/15, so I was wondering how the actual mileage compares to the two guzzlers I'm trading in.

PS: Can't a person subscribe to a posted thread on this forum so when someone answers I'll get an email saying so??

poor-sha
01-16-09, 09:25 AM
Are you sure about that EPA rating? I can't find one listed anywhere but the car mags are all saying 15/19 and seem to be averaging around 17-18 in their driving.

Short-Throw
01-16-09, 11:56 AM
The EPA sticker reads 12/15, so I was wondering how the actual mileage compares to the two guzzlers I'm trading in.

The EPA reads 12/18 for Automatics. If you drive the car around the city with a heavy foot, you'll see 10mph. You really need to baby it to get the higher numbers. A hard task when sitting in the drivers seat. Almost like, "Look, but don't touch" when you were a kid. :annoyed:

Mike

Razorecko
01-16-09, 12:07 PM
^ mpg's usually increase a good 3-4mpg when the motor breaks in after 6-8k usually. Than you'll see it hit more towards the gov't standards.

poor-sha
01-16-09, 02:57 PM
The EPA reads 12/18 for Automatics. If you drive the car around the city with a heavy foot, you'll see 10mph. You really need to baby it to get the higher numbers. A hard task when sitting in the drivers seat. Almost like, "Look, but don't touch" when you were a kid. :annoyed:

Mike

...and the manual I looked at today said 14/19.

JFJr
01-16-09, 03:12 PM
^ mpg's usually increase a good 3-4mpg when the motor breaks in after 6-8k usually. Than you'll see it hit more towards the gov't standards.

My experience, too. My sticker for the manual transmission reads 14/19, but I would expect 17-18/22-23 after 15,000 miles when driving "normally."

GMX322V S/C
01-17-09, 02:30 AM
I can get an indicated 19 to 22 MPG with the cruise set at 80, dead level--and no headwind :D

RogersV
01-21-09, 10:26 PM

Mike

Oop's: I stand corrected. My sticker does read 12/18, must have been a senior moment. :o It gets about the same as my SRT8 did. Anyway, I've got it home, what a machine :) Beauty and the beast.

InLoveWithThe09
01-22-09, 04:00 PM
I've been consistently around 11 almost 12 .. . and I have almost 800 miles on it. ...I usually cruise as it seems to me that this is what the car wants to do lol, coming from an SRT8 300 at least. BUT! I do alot of driving on the freeway, which sometimes is too big of a temptation and I'll shoot her up to 100 110 every now and then lol maybe higher.:devilheh:

haterinc
01-22-09, 04:06 PM
doesn't the ECM tune help? i thought i recall reading wait4me's car or someone's getting mid to high 20's with the tune...

i don't really have time to go back and look for it but hopefully he'll see this or someone else knows.

hound dawg
01-23-09, 11:03 AM
I now have over 5000 miles on my V. According to my computer I have an average of 16.7 mpg. I have just returned from a 1500 mile round trip in it. This trip increase the average mpg for I set the cruise and watch the world go by. I had averaged 17+ mpg with pampered in town driving however, after giving the V a proper break in I have been putting my foot into the beast. My V is one month old today.

Hogg
01-23-09, 11:07 AM
doesn't the ECM tune help? i thought i recall reading wait4me's car or someone's getting mid to high 20's with the tune...

i don't really have time to go back and look for it but hopefully he'll see this or someone else knows.

Yes, Jesse has been seeing high 20's with his ECM tunes on the V2's. All teh more reason to get an ECM tune.

peace
Hog

concorso
01-23-09, 05:15 PM
Question from an engine newb. Isnt Wait4Me just leaning it out? Couldnt this be dangerous with a F/I engine in the extreme heat in the south?

RapidRob
01-23-09, 07:33 PM
Question from an engine newb. Isnt Wait4Me just leaning it out? Couldnt this be dangerous with a F/I engine in the extreme heat in the south?

My thought as well - it's set rich at the factory for a reason on this blown engine. Not sure I'd feel comfortable with a tune that leans this motor way out. Might be having fun one fine day and POW ... :eek:

Rob

undertaker
01-25-09, 04:49 PM
My thought as well - it's set rich at the factory for a reason on this blown engine. Not sure I'd feel comfortable with a tune that leans this motor way out. Might be having fun one fine day and POW ... :eek:

Rob

Jesse knows his stuff, he helped tune my 07 2500 suburban. Stock it dyno'd around 280 at the wheels, brought it up to 537 with just a blower (no meth, no headers etc.) and I've since put 15K miles on it at least 5K of those towing 10K plus pounds at 75-80 on the interstate...all on a motor not built from teh factory for boost. and picked up 3 mpg with bigger injectors and more parasitic load.

There's always room for improvement, if I already had a CTS V vs still window shopping....he'd already have my computer and would have been sending me a smaller pulley. Probably within the first week.

RapidRob
01-25-09, 07:15 PM

If I'm not mistaken, it was, "CadV", that had his V2 tuned and reported mileage somewhere in the 20's along with other benefits. But that was fairly soon after he had it done - haven't heard much from him since then ... :hmm:

Rob

NormV
01-25-09, 08:04 PM
Weather and oxygenated winter gas this time of year don't help. Give it some break in miles and +80F days on the highway and you should exceed the window sticker.

Norm