: 1993 Seville STS radio change????

FLYNHAWAIIN
01-14-09, 11:30 PM
I just recently purchased a 1993 Seville STS E&D. The radio only has a cassette player with no cd player. I was wondering what the size is and if a cadillac radio made for 98 and up would fit. I would really like to get a bose stock cadillac radio into it. I found a 93 bose system that fits but priced at $180 on ebay. If anyone can help and guide me on what I need to do please let me know.

PA93STS
01-15-09, 08:05 AM
it would be a complicated job to put a factory bose into your car because the bose has several amplifiers to wire in. i am not positive but i think it works totally different from a regular sts stereo. there is a receiver in the trunk. not worth the trouble youre better off with an aftermarket setup. look on the bright side you dont have to bypass amplifiers to wire your speakers in. i have a 93 sts with the bose setup and it doesnt work. i am getting feedback through the speakers and dont know if it is one of the amps or the receiver. i have been looking into an aftermarket setup because it is easier than troubleshooting the bose. go with the aftermarket..

xPosTech
01-15-09, 10:54 AM
PA93STS try making a CD with an audio test on it. XP Home and Pro should have the means to generate a CD with sound only in left front, then right front, rear left etc.

At least you will find the bad amp/channel or whatever.

Start a thread on it (in audio section).

Ted

FLYNHAWAIIN
01-15-09, 11:25 AM
Ok so I should look into buying the factory delco cd player and not the bose? I know you need bose speakers for the radio but you have to change the amp in the back seat as well?

PA93STS
01-15-09, 04:21 PM
PA93STS try making a CD with an audio test on it. XP Home and Pro should have the means to generate a CD with sound only in left front, then right front, rear left etc.

At least you will find the bad amp/channel or whatever.

Start a thread on it (in audio section).

Ted

actually it wont take a cd or tape in, i tried that when trying to test if it was the radio. when i turn it on it goes BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP..and i cant change the radio station or put a cd/tape in. thats why i think it could be the tuner/amp behind the seat in the trunk. or the controls in the dash...but then i think well it could be anything lol... i was going to try replacing the stereo in the trunk but then found out it would be easier to rewire and aftermarket for 90$. thats almost what i would pay for the trunk unit at a salvage yard

PA93STS
01-15-09, 04:31 PM
Ok so I should look into buying the factory delco cd player and not the bose? I know you need bose speakers for the radio but you have to change the amp in the back seat as well?

well in the 93 sts bose system there is a front speaker amplifier, rear speaker amplifier, and two tuner/amplifiers in the trunk. the tuner/amplifier in the trunk behind the seats is the stereo, the unit in the dash is just the controls for the stereo. so to change the unit out in the dash you would need the stereo from the trunk also. it would be a headache... i would go with either your factory unit or an aftermarket one if you dont mind it not being all stock.

FLYNHAWAIIN
01-15-09, 04:59 PM
Well thats also what im wondering. If i buy a factory sts cd player do i have to change anything. Also what after market cd players fit in the sts?

chazglenn3
01-15-09, 11:44 PM
You should be able to buy a factory CD head unit and not have to change anything but the head unit. If there are no good priced units on eBay try a local junkyard. I looked on eBay and all the decent priced ones are Bose.

PA93STS
01-16-09, 01:45 AM
Well thats also what im wondering. If i buy a factory sts cd player do i have to change anything. Also what after market cd players fit in the sts?

any aftermarket cd player will work you need to get the kit to install it. go to bestbuy or circuit city and they can hook you up with what you need.

FLYNHAWAIIN
01-16-09, 03:31 PM
ok will do thanks alot. ill let you know how it turns out.