: LS3 Powered Formula Le Mans

The Tony Show
01-14-09, 09:45 PM
Someone has discovered what Formula 1 is missing: The sound of a big, nasty, American V8.

UEzU_0tQsRI

LS3 Formula Le Mans car. Can I get a "hell yeah"?

:drool:

Rodya234
01-14-09, 09:55 PM
Cadillac had a similar Le Mans car that was powered by the 4.0 Northstar, but it got canceled. :mad:

That's an LMP class car rather then Formula One however. The max displacement in F1 is 2.4 Liters.

The Tony Show
01-14-09, 10:17 PM
I watched the Northstar LMP car at its debut in Daytona (Rolex 24). It kept getting the class lead, then lunching the transmission. They'd fix it, work their way back to the front, then toast another trans.

Bummer.

Rodya234
01-14-09, 10:27 PM
I'm surprised they just canned the whole project rather then just designing a beefier trans. It could have been giving the new Audi R10 a run for it's money once it was perfected.

LS1Mike
01-14-09, 10:37 PM
Sweet! It must be stock it it is only 430 HP. I bet that thing moves out smartly!

gary88
01-14-09, 11:43 PM
Formula 1 already uses V8 silly pants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU_9EJduKBU

Though I still miss the V10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKyP19ky_W0

Blackout
01-15-09, 10:31 AM
The problem Cadillac had with the ALMS was that they thought they could just show up and win which wasn't the case at all. The ALMS was a disaster from day 1 and once Cadillac started getting their butts handed to them they decided to get the hell outta there. They didn't want to look like a fool from the racing community so to gain back some respect they joined the SCCA with their CTS-V factory team. My only issue with Cadillac and their recent race history just kinda leaves me unimpressed. I mean I respect what they did with the CTS-V's in the SCCA and all but they couldn't hang with the big boys in the ALMS so they had to run to a race series that is comprised mostly of private owners and then GM coming in with a factory race team. Gee, I can't imagine as to why they owned the SCCA for so long. It's like showing up to a knife fight with an atomic bomb

trukk
01-15-09, 11:48 AM
Tony,

ALMS LeMan Prototypes (LMP1 & LMP2), and similar to the Rolex Grand Am Daytona Prototype cars.

Pontiac has a car in Daytona Prototype running a V8:

http://www.gainscoracing.com/race_car99/car99_specs.html

-Chris

The Tony Show
01-15-09, 02:02 PM
Well screw all you guys and your "facts"- I'm going to drool over the LS3 Le Mans car, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Ha!

C&C
01-15-09, 07:38 PM
I'm with you Tony; good stuff.

GizmoQ
01-16-09, 02:05 AM
Rats, I got all excited about American muscle in Formula 1 and here you guys are talking about American LeMans. Whoever made that error never personally attended a Formula 1 race. The difference is astounding. Hell, Indy cars pale in comparison to real Formula 1 cars. And like our new president, the 2008 FIA World champ is a first also (even though he's British - at least he was driving a Mercedes: my second favorite car manufacturer).

The Tony Show
01-16-09, 12:29 PM
Just to clarify:

I know the car in the video isn't an F1 car- I never said it was. All I said was that this was cooler than an F1 car because it had a big, loud, nasty AMERICAN V8 in it.

I don't care what it is- anything is cooler with an LSx motor. :D