: Why are the CTS mirrors so damn small?

GM-4-LIFE
01-14-09, 03:49 PM
Why are the CTS mirrors so damn small?

You can barely use them to change lanes. I feel like I have to keep do triple takes over my shoulder just to see if there is a car in my blind spot!

JEEZ!

SG

gotapex
01-14-09, 06:25 PM
The US has not adopted the EU's new dumbo-ear regulations.

thebigjimsho
01-14-09, 06:41 PM

You can barely use them to change lanes. I feel like I have to keep do triple takes over my shoulder just to see if there is a car in my blind spot!

JEEZ!

SGYou're not driving an Escalade. Pipe down...

CIWS
01-14-09, 06:42 PM
Needz Moar Accelerator PeTal ! :D

urbanski
01-14-09, 06:50 PM
funny thing to complain about when you're in a V2

GM-4-LIFE
01-14-09, 07:00 PM
Sorry to offend you guys!

I didn't know that GM was perfect and wouldn't do anything stupid like make mirrors almost so small that they look like they belong on a beach cruiser instead of a sports sedan.

SG

Cadillac Tony
01-14-09, 07:03 PM
I don't think anyone's offended- this is just ball busting central. :lol:

Out of sheer curiosity, I just went and measured the CTS-V mirrors and compared them to a used 745 BMW and Cadillac STS on the lot- the CTS was bigger.

CIWS
01-14-09, 07:15 PM
Sorry to offend you guys!

I didn't know that GM was perfect and wouldn't do anything stupid like make mirrors almost so small that they look like they belong on a beach cruiser instead of a sports sedan.

SG

I'm only offended that you think I'm offended. ;)

Lord Cadillac
01-14-09, 07:15 PM
Everybody knows there's a lot of ball busting around here! :p I must admit it IS nice to know the CTS's mirrors are bigger than those of the BMW 7-Series. I guess going from the Escalade to a much smaller vehicle would make it seem that the mirrors are very small.. The Escalade's mirrors are HUGE.. Now SMALL mirrors were on my 95 Eldorado!

Nutz
01-14-09, 07:24 PM
I'll bet Jay Alvarez wishes the mirrors on the Bonneville Beast were smaller. When you look at the car launching from behind at Bonneville in a prior thread, those mirrors look like Clipper Ship sails. Probably restrict the car for at least an M.P.H. or two also.

GM-4-LIFE
01-14-09, 07:53 PM
It's all good guys.

No big deal.

I wasn't offended. It's just that it seemed that since I have a new V2, that I have no room to complain and that is the only thing about the car that I hate is the small mirrors (my 2007 STS-V mirrors were bigger) and the sunroof.

SG

thebigjimsho
01-14-09, 08:02 PM
It's all good guys.

No big deal.

I wasn't offended. It's just that it seemed that since I have a new V2, that I have no room to complain and that is the only thing about the car that I hate is the small mirrors (my 2007 STS-V mirrors were bigger) and the sunroof.

SGObjects In Mirror Are Too F**king Small To See

NormV
01-14-09, 08:24 PM
Might want to make sure they're aligned properly. Most think they should align side mirrors to see behind them as they go down the road.

The side mirrors should barely over lap the REARVIEW mirror. The side mirrors will actually be facing your blind spots better.

Norm

GM-4-LIFE
01-14-09, 10:51 PM
Might want to make sure they're aligned properly. Most think they should align side mirrors to see behind them as they go down the road.

The side mirrors should barely over lap the REARVIEW mirror. The side mirrors will actually be facing your blind spots better.

Norm

Thanks for the tip!

SG

jasaero
01-14-09, 11:44 PM

JEEZ!

SG

It could have a lot to do with your screen name as the Bonneville beast comment alluded too. NormV's suggestion is mine also. My wife insists on setting mirror so half of it is to see the side of the vehicle. Should be out far enough you really don't see ANY of the side of your car without leaning toward the mirror a bit and then you know it's more in your blind spot.

thebigjimsho
01-14-09, 11:57 PM
It could have a lot to do with your screen name as the Bonneville beast comment alluded too. NormV's suggestion is mine also. My wife insists on setting mirror so half of it is to see the side of the vehicle. Should be out far enough you really don't see ANY of the side of your car without leaning toward the mirror a bit and then you know it's more in your blind spot.Exactly. My side mirrors are set so that I can't see the side of the car. But it's only so far out so that if I lean a little to each side, I can then see the side of the car.

JEM
01-15-09, 02:59 AM
Exactly. My side mirrors are set so that I can't see the side of the car. But it's only so far out so that if I lean a little to each side, I can then see the side of the car.

Since it appears that the CTS-V will be sold outside the US, somewhere there is a part # for aspheric mirror glasses and someone needs to find it.

These are customary in Europe and elsewhere these days - basically the inner 2/3 of the mirror is flat, and the outer third is barrel-shaped. They are yet another one of those things - like decent headlights were for a quarter-century - where our DOT doesn't seem to understand the meaning of 'progress'.

It's a very elegant way of doing what those little stick-on spots do - you get to have your cake (set the mirror so that you can look down the side of the car) and eat it too (see everything in the lane adjacent to you right up to your B-pillar.)

They usually have a little line on them that separates the flat from the aspheric section and when they're set properly the line ends up pretty much at your rear bumper, so that anything visible over the line is a clear no-go indication.

I've got them in both our E39 BMWs and my old Saab, and if I'd get off my ass I'd have them in our Audi too. Once you get used to them it's really hard to live without them.

proexpert
01-15-09, 09:11 AM
Compared to the C5 Corvette, the CTS mirror is big. :thumbsup:

I add a small blindspot mirror to all my cars. I never look over my shoulder because the blindspot mirror shows it all.

http://www.cadquest.com/images/2inchmirror.jpg

Kadonny
01-15-09, 09:31 AM
Forget the size, I love the cool shape of the new one compared to both the V1 and STS-V.

chris1268
01-15-09, 01:08 PM
Do we really need to worry about blind spots???? If you do, your driving to slow, noone should be pulling up on you in the V2.:stirpot:

randian
01-15-09, 02:08 PM
The US has not adopted the EU's new dumbo-ear regulations.
Unofficially it will. Haven't you noticed that every new car has been made uglier:

1) no front bumper
2) a flat non-sloping hood
3) a huge flat grill

That's because the EU's bureaucrats got it into their tiny little brains that pedestrian injuries in frontal collisions with cars can be reduced in severity if the hood has a mandatory minimum spacing over the topline of the engine. The theory is that a pedestrian who falls several feet onto the hood will be less severely injured if the hood can't touch the top the engine when deformed. This is absurd: outside Hollywood move sets pedestrians don't fall onto hoods unless they're jumping from a building, and at any speed that matters the lack of a bumper won't stop the car from causing severe hip and leg fractures. The nannies in Europe see it differently, though.

Solaraces
01-15-09, 04:26 PM
I see the blind spot mirror works but i could not put that on my car reminds me of my grandpa...and i already drive a cadillac!

RightTurn
01-15-09, 04:46 PM
Here. Get these.

http://uatparts.com/miva/graphics/00000001/velvac-713406.jpg

Stangar
01-15-09, 04:51 PM
I have watched the TV show "Super Nanny" and she is very European.

Ever been in the "naughty seat"?

Albertan
01-15-09, 05:04 PM
My son had a 1985 Plymouth K car. Didn't come with a passenger side rear view mirror and the driver's side was about 3" in dia. The car had no options.

MauiV
01-15-09, 05:04 PM
Just knock the mirrors off to reduce your aerodynamic drag. Who needs to use a mirrior to change lanes anyway, you should have just overtaken the car in the right lane by at least 40mph, so he wont be there when you get over.

JEM
01-15-09, 08:57 PM
Unofficially it will. Haven't you noticed that every new car has been made uglier:

1) no front bumper
2) a flat non-sloping hood
3) a huge flat grill

That's because the EU's bureaucrats got it into their tiny little brains that pedestrian injuries in frontal collisions with cars can be reduced in severity if the hood has a mandatory minimum spacing over the topline of the engine.

I'm sure there's logic to it, but it's still bothersome nonetheless. And what it buys pedestrians it costs the driver of the car in terms of forward visibility. One thing I love about my E39 M5 is that I can see the ground barely eight feet in front of the car.

The side profile of the current Benz C-class is just awful, with that awkward grille that's virtually vertical in the middle.

Jon
01-15-09, 10:53 PM
Quarter Panel Thief Arrested

LOS ANGELES, CA: An alleged thief was arrested after being caught red-handed. According to LAPD, Mr. Smith was running down Los Angeles highways and pulling quarter panels off of cars as they drove by.

This comes as a relief to many motorists who no longer have to monitor their quarter panels via their side mirrors. One CTS-V owner, dubbed AERO1, is ecstatic as he can now see the cars behind him without having to worry about the quarter panel thief.

GM-4-LIFE
01-16-09, 05:50 PM
Jon,

Funny dude!

SG