: 97 & 99 deville engine swap??????

laclover216
01-14-09, 01:34 PM
i just bought a salvaged 99 deville out of texas. its in route to cleveland on a vehicle transporter. i bought it for the parts to go on my 97 vintage edition. should this engine/trans swap be successful? 99 has (get this) 34,447 miles on it. not even major collision damage. interior & exterior immaculate other than what you see. i know there were few upgrades in 99 (maybe) if i do entire eng/trans/computer swap should i be fine? it will be drooped by entire cradle & installed into 97. i know my main plus is i dont have to worry about the 97 head bolt defect. plus 34,000 miles will take me a HELLUVA long way. if theres anything i should know please enlighten me. thank you guys.

p.s. when im finished, the rest of the parts on the 99 will be for sale or swap...... photos\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

AJxtcman
01-14-09, 02:32 PM
The engines are the same part number

tateos
01-14-09, 05:36 PM
The engines are the same part number

and right now it looks like the ''99s have had as much if not more problems as the '97s.

Personally, I would do the HG/thread repair job now while it is out of the car. R and R is the hardest part - the repair is actually pretty easy. Also rear main seal/oil pan gasket/half case, if there is any sign of leakage - or maybe even if there isn't any leakage.

laclover216
01-16-09, 06:09 AM
Wow i didnt know about '99 problems, what problems did they have other than the '97? I would have just repaired the '97 motor but the trans went out at the same time heads did. '97 is a beautiful rare edition car that i've invested $$$$$$ in so im going to rebuild it. North*'s are just headaches but thats the price of being a caddy daddy. Too much other stuuf wrong around the '97 motor so i opted for a total swapout. A '99 with 34,000 miles will get me lots of time before the haedches come. Better than just finding a used or junk yard motor that u wont know about till after its installed. Im taking the entire exhaust & interior out of the '99 also. Then i'll take the '97 converters & cash em' in.

tateos
01-16-09, 03:48 PM
Wow i didnt know about '99 problems, what problems did they have other than the '97? I would have just repaired the '97 motor but the trans went out at the same time heads did. '97 is a beautiful rare edition car that i've invested $$$$$$ in so im going to rebuild it. North*'s are just headaches but thats the price of being a caddy daddy. Too much other stuuf wrong around the '97 motor so i opted for a total swapout. A '99 with 34,000 miles will get me lots of time before the haedches come. Better than just finding a used or junk yard motor that u wont know about till after its installed. Im taking the entire exhaust & interior out of the '99 also. Then i'll take the '97 converters & cash em' in.

The only major problems have been the head gaskets/failed threads, and according to our poll, the '99s are the worst for that - that is why I suggested you do the repair while it's out - before it fails

chubbyranger
01-17-09, 11:08 AM
This isn't the VIN Y to VIN 9 swap attempt is it? Hard to tell from your pix but the 99 does not appear to be a Concours. And 99 wasn't a great year for HGs in my opinion :nono: