: How will white leather look after a few years?

randian
01-14-09, 12:52 AM
I'm beginning to really like the white interior on the V (check out the white Recaros in the "delivered V's" sticky thread), but I'd like to know how it's going to look when it's not new. Will the smallest bit of dirt, wear, lines, or (god forbid) cracking make a white leather interior look trashed? Do you have to take a lot of extra care in cleaning, conditioning, and detailing the interior to keep it looking good compared to black?

proexpert
01-14-09, 04:44 AM
We have the titanium interior in our 08 CTS, and after one full year (but only 8000 miles) it looks 98% new. I cleaned and conditioned the front seats a few times but nothing major. So far no cracking in the leather.

I use Leather Masters on the seats, doors, and dash when required.

http://www.topoftheline.com/aulekit.html

Kadonny
01-14-09, 08:16 AM
I'm beginning to really like the white interior on the V (check out the white Recaros in the "delivered V's" sticky thread), but I'd like to know how it's going to look when it's not new. Will the smallest bit of dirt, wear, lines, or (god forbid) cracking make a white leather interior look trashed? Do you have to take a lot of extra care in cleaning, conditioning, and detailing the interior to keep it looking good compared to black?

Just so you know, Titanium is really a very light gray, not white. When you get it under the lights inside you see more of the gray, when it is outside it looks lighter. Still, a cool color.

randian
01-14-09, 10:36 AM
Just so you know, Titanium is really a very light gray, not white. When you get it under the lights inside you see more of the gray, when it is outside it looks lighter. Still, a cool color.
The dash and doors are white, right? Still, I just wanted to make sure I won't have something that looks like a trashed econobox because scuffed sills, dirt and skin oils on the leather, etc will be very visible even with ordinary care.

Kadonny
01-14-09, 10:47 AM
The dash and doors are white, right? Still, I just wanted to make sure I won't have something that looks like a trashed econobox because scuffed sills, dirt and skin oils on the leather, etc will be very visible even with ordinary care.

No, they are Titanium (gray) like the seats.

tedcmiller
01-18-09, 10:21 PM
I had a 1979 Cadillac Eldorado with a truly white leather interior. While the white leather held up better than expected, I would not go with it again. I had a light grey leather interior in my 2005 CTS-V and was again somewhat disappointed in its longevity. I have a black leather interior in my 2009 CTS-V, like my 2004 CTS V, and I expect it to show less wear and less dirt over a similar period of time.

Flavoade
01-18-09, 11:02 PM
Just wipe them down with a wet microfiber, or wet towel every once and a while, or when ever you wash the car to keep the surface dirt from working into the leather. Dry the leather then go behind it with some leather conditioner. Use another microfiber or towel to work the conditioner in. It will provide protection for the leather for a little while. That was the procedure that the piece of sample leather instructed on how to care for it.

A thing that could destroy the leather is if you leave it exposed to the sun often. Someone told me the white leather in their car looked horrible after two years because it was exposed two the sun while sitting in the parking lot. Tinted windows can protect it.

qictrk
01-19-09, 12:27 AM
It depends on what type of caretaker you are. If your like me, it will be neat and clean for many years to come. But, if your like some people i know, who are very close relatives, it'll be a pigs pen. :histeric: Cecil........

randian
01-19-09, 02:12 AM
If your like me, it will be neat and clean for many years to come.
While I am neat and clean, I see on my current car (tan leather) that over time invisible levels of dirt build up in the leather and now I have a devil of a time getting rid of it. The leather is starting to look like some greasy-handed mechanic lightly touched everything.