: error codes p0113 &503

shizzyraw585
06-29-04, 12:21 PM
Hi, im a newbie who needs help with my first caddy, a 97 eldorado non etc.

When i purchased the vehichle the service engine light was lit due to bad O2 sensors which i had replaced. The car drove fine for a while but the service engine light came back on. This time codes P0113 & P0503 came up which are Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage & P0503 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) Circuit Intermittent respectively. The only thing i notice out of the norm is that my average mph gauge display seems stuck between 13 & 15 mpg. The only other work i have had done is replaceing the starter, battery, and battery cable. Does this sound like both of these sensors just went bad at the same time or is it something else? any advice would be appreciated.

thanx
Shannon:banghead:

BeelzeBob
06-29-04, 04:29 PM
I think you are kind of answering your own questions....

Check those sensors to see if they are plugged in, corrosion in the terminals, etc.... If OK, then replace the sensors. Both are pretty easy to get to. The vehicle sensor is on top of the barrel of the trans near the end of the barrel at the right hand drive axle. Look thru the right front wheel well with the wheel off. Pull the rubber filler back and look at the trans where the drive axle mounts to it. The VSS is at 12:00 on the trans barrel.

The inlet air temp is at the air cleaner/MAF.

shizzyraw585
07-05-04, 09:38 PM
Hey bob,

I heard driving around with a bad vss sensor could kill my trans, is this true?

BeelzeBob
07-05-04, 11:34 PM
Hey bob,

I heard driving around with a bad vss sensor could kill my trans, is this true?

I wouldn't expect it to kill the trans. The onboard diagnostics system takes interim corrective action when failed sensors are detected. In addition to turning on the service engine light the system automatically substitues values for the failed sensor that will protect the unit until you can get it repaired. That being said, I wouldn't push the system to long. It is designed to get you to a safe place so the repair can be effected...not continue to drive forever.

94CaddyConcours
07-16-04, 08:39 PM
I have a horrible MPG that i don't want to post. How do I know if the sensor is bad and where are the sensor are located on my car.

I used the obd1 and I don't know what the code is for when overiding it.:yawn: