: Need Help Locating Audio Part

Ranger
01-13-09, 08:16 PM
Hey guys, I have a Marantz 2270 receiver. The power button (switch) is broken. It won't stay in when pushed. I've got it all apart. Even disassembled the switch in an attempt to repair it, but can't seem to figure out what is wrong with it to get it to work. Looks like I'll have to solder in a new switch. Anyone know where to get parts for these things?

dkozloski
01-13-09, 11:30 PM
Hey guys, I have a Marantz 2270 receiver. The power button (switch) is broken. It won't stay in when pushed. I've got it all apart. Even disassembled the switch in an attempt to repair it, but can't seem to figure out what is wrong with it to get it to work. Looks like I'll have to solder in a new switch. Anyone know where to get parts for these things?
I had Marantz stuff for years. The became a division of Sony. Back in the dark ages Marantz stuff came complete with schematic diagrams and parts lists. I was always able to get whatever I needed from Sony there at the last.

http://www.servicemanuals.net/

After you get a part number you ought to be able to Google up a source.

Ranger
01-14-09, 12:02 PM
I have a number that is stamped into the switch (ESB-1150 DS). I think that is the part number. I have one lead so far and am about to call them.

dkozloski
01-14-09, 12:12 PM
I have a number that is stamped into the switch (ESB-1150 DS). I think that is the part number. I have one lead so far and am about to call them.
Ranger, you need to practice what you preach. The first thing you do when you work on 'sheenery is get a service manual. LOL

heavymetals
01-14-09, 02:24 PM
Is this the one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARANTZ-POWER-SWITCH-best-quality_W0QQitemZ260343890619QQcmdZViewItem

Ranger
01-14-09, 03:02 PM
I saw that one and it is a little different. May work, but I did not want to take a chance. Found another that was 10$ more but I was able to speak to Mark at Tech Hi-Fi and although it too was slightly different he said that he has installed them in 2270's so I ordered one. Should have it in a few days.

Night Wolf
01-14-09, 10:35 PM
Since the power switch on the vintage gear is usually the actual switch, and handles alot of current.... some recomend to always leave the switches "on" and use a powerstrip to turn it on/off, they say that really cuts back on wear of the switch. Personally I have not done that on any of my vintage gear tho.

Ranger
01-15-09, 09:32 PM
Well, if the OEM switch lasted this long, I'm sure the replacement will out last me, so I'm not gonna worry much about it.

ejguillot
01-16-09, 02:26 AM
Ranger, you might want to head over to www.audiokarma.org and ask around in the Marantz forum. They're a bunch of really good guys who can point you in the right direction.

PS: If your 2270 is on its original electrolytic capacitors, consider paying some $ to have them all replaced with modern caps. (Or if you have the skill, get the serivce manual, buy the caps, and DIY) The originals, after 30+ years of service, have mostly dried out and changed value, increased ESR, and in general are not letting your 2270 sound as good as it could.

I have recapped 2 Marantz 2230's and a Pioneer SX-1080 and have been very pleased with the results. :thumbsup:

Next up on my recap list: my Marantz 2275 (the replacement of your 2270) and possibly a 4400 (need a service manual, boards are packed so tight it looks like a service nightmare).

Ranger
01-16-09, 10:06 PM
I had some work done on it a few years ago. Can't remember what they did though. I did stumble through AudioKarma doing some searching for the part. Guess I should have signed up and asked. Should see the switch tomorrow I hope.