: Eradication of the front plate law in California

1fstkde
01-13-09, 08:37 PM
Turns out that there are 20 states in the U.S. that do not require front plates! I found a petition for California to do the same here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/caplate/petition.html (http://www.petitiononline.com/caplate/petition.html)

I just signed the petition which took about 20 seconds. Please spread the word around and feel free(if ok with the moderators)to post the same information in other sections of this forum.

GM-4-LIFE
01-13-09, 09:07 PM
Just signed it and I passed it on to friends and relatives. I also posted it on the Corvetteforum.com where I am also a member. I know my fellow Corvette owners HATE the California front plate law.

I can tell you one thing, I don't care how many times I get stopped or how many tickets I get, NO FRONT plate will go on the front of my new V. It ruins the look of the car and is not necessary at all!

SG

readyact
01-13-09, 09:35 PM
I hear you guys I'm in Ohio where a front plate is required. I don't run with a front plate on any of my cars and usually the law officials in Ohio don't hassle people over not having a front plate. When I lived in Westchester County, NY they always had safety checkpoints especially off the Saw Mill and Sprain Parkways. They would pull over cars at “random” and ask for your license, look at your registration sticker in the front window and blah, blah, blah. Each time they asked me where my front plate was I would tell 'em that some idiot back into my car while it was parked and knocked the plate off and I'm waiting for a new bracket to come into the dealer. It worked every time. I figure if you don't have a bunch of previous traffic violations most officers will let you go on your way.

gotapex
01-13-09, 09:41 PM
I doubt this will happen. It's easy money for the State.

dmc22
01-13-09, 10:24 PM
Only parking security guards with ticketing authority and police looking for an easy stat give tickets for no front license plate.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
01-13-09, 10:33 PM
Thea beauty of living in a state different than where your car is registered. :)

OldDrummer55
01-13-09, 11:16 PM
I would like to see the same petition in WA as front plates are not really necessary. The only way you will successfully sell the idea to the public is to show how it will save THEM money...

randian
01-14-09, 01:59 AM
I'm in Florida where we don't require front plates. I don't know if you can even get one, should you possess a bizarre desire for it. It's very nice, I hated having a front plate on my Camaro when I lived in California. I heard Texas was toying with the idea of dropping its front plate requirement, but the effort died in committee.

JEM
01-14-09, 04:36 AM
I'll sign the thing, but good luck getting rid of front plates in CA. All the municipalities are getting used to their red-light camera money, and a lot of camera installations need the front plate to ID the vehicle.

It's been law in California since sometime in the mid '80s, I want to say 1983. It's sporadically enforced, San Francisco seems to like to write those (I used to get front-plate tickets when parked by my then-girlfriend's place in the Marina back in the late '80s.)

Out of our five or so driveable vehicles, only my old Suburban actually has a front plate on it.

razl
01-14-09, 08:32 AM
As a CA outsider, I wonder if there's anything the citizens could legitimately pass that either the legislature won't toss/fight or the 9th Circus won't overrule. But I'm in spiritual solidarity with you!

randian
01-14-09, 11:01 AM
All the municipalities are getting used to their red-light camera money, and a lot of camera installations need the front plate to ID the vehicle.
Red light and toll road cameras somehow work in states that don't require front plates. I'm sure California can figure it out.

lawfive
01-14-09, 03:02 PM
Thanks, I signed that mother.

InLoveWithThe09
01-14-09, 06:48 PM
Yeah I signed it too and also hope it gets passed. I'm in the Westwood area alot, and they have a lot of parking enforcement and even if you are parked in the correct spot for the alotted amount of tiime they still sometimes give me a ticket just for not having a front plate. Not including all the times they tack it on just for fun when i do earn my "parking ticket"

CtsVrod
01-15-09, 02:32 PM
Turns out that there are 20 states in the U.S. that do not require front plates! I found a petition for California to do the same here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/caplate/petition.html (http://www.petitiononline.com/caplate/petition.html)

I just signed the petition which took about 20 seconds. Please spread the word around and feel free(if ok with the moderators)to post the same information in other sections of this forum.

So Karem, You getting one (V2)???!! I wanna go for a ride!

Luna.
01-15-09, 04:13 PM
Thanks, I signed that mother.

Amen...

qictrk
01-15-09, 05:59 PM
Since the law went into effect, i have never had a front plate on any of my cars. The only ones that do, are the historical ones that i have restored. I have never been pulled over, but now that i've put it in writeing, here comes the judge. :) Cecil..............

Pyromaniac
02-27-09, 07:30 PM
I just signed it...I think it was around 25,000 signatures....how many do they need?

Nutz
02-28-09, 09:50 AM
I'm in Ohio too.

It's simple, no front plate on motorcycles, therefore.. there should be NO FRONT PLATE ON CARS! It's automotive prejudice. When will these lawmakers stop fighting a useless plight? A smart lawmaker would propose an upcharge to permit exemption from the rule to generate unchartered profit. Just another attempt of the establishment to maintain control. :gah:

gotapex
02-28-09, 07:34 PM
I just signed it...I think it was around 25,000 signatures....how many do they need?

More than the number of drivers that exist in California.

It's a money issue, not a name on a piece of paper issue.

JEM
03-01-09, 12:41 AM
More than the number of drivers that exist in California.

It's a money issue, not a name on a piece of paper issue.

This is California. The envirolobby and the public employees' unions run the state. The rest of us are just hamburger.

ExtraV
03-01-09, 11:35 AM
Since California is so bankrupt and in desperate need of money, they should let people pay $100 a year to not have to use a front plate. I guarantee at least a million people would sign up, which would be $100M in extra revenue per year to the state coffers.

caddycruiser
03-01-09, 09:39 PM
Since California is so bankrupt and in desperate need of money, they should let people pay $100 a year to not have to use a front plate. I guarantee at least a million people would sign up, which would be $100M in extra revenue per year to the state coffers.

That, or seriously, just think how much it would add up only having to make half as many plates.

Having only lived in states that don't require them, I've always thought it bizarre that any do. As long as one is on the rear, where it's supposed to be, what does a front one junking up your fascia help with at all? Really, what was the original intent?

I don't know. But even I'd sign the petition, hah, so I don't have to look at another out of state car (okay, it is just for CA this time) with a bracket riveted on its nose and a 2nd ugly plate;)

LUVMY04V
03-02-09, 09:54 AM
someone make one for Illinois

Luna.
03-03-09, 03:01 PM
Can someone please explain the logic to me regarding the need for a front license plate... :banghead: