: Tony Dungy steps down as Colts' coach

The Tony Show
01-13-09, 11:53 AM
As a life long Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan, I've always had enormous respect for Tony Dungy. Not only did he and Monte Kiffin refine the Cover 2 defense into one of the best schemes in the NFL and turn Tampa from a perennial joke into a Super Bowl winning team, but the man always exuded a calm, professional confidence that is rare in NFL coaches. Stories always popped up in the local papers about his intolerance of profanity in practice, and he is involved in numerous civic groups such as Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Boys and GIrls Club, the Prison Crusade Ministry, All-Pro Dads and foster parenting organizations.

Yesterday, Tony announced that he's leaving his position as coach of the Colts to spend more time ministering to prison inmates and working with Dads in the Tampa area to become better people and parents.

In the age of multi-million dollar contracts for Coaches, where most of them go immediately from the sideline to a lucrative studio/announcer contract, it's such a complete surprise to see someone walking away from all the fame and money to go mentor prison inmates and parents. Come to think of it though, it's really not surprising at all when you consider that it's Tony Dungy.

If you want to read a really fantastic book, check out his autobiography Quiet Strength to get some insight into one of the most unique coaches ever in the NFL.

Full story here (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h0o8VdD944v8NsDBoPs-wZURUKUgD95M5FF80).

gary88
01-13-09, 01:54 PM
A real class-act and a great person.

Coma
01-13-09, 02:18 PM
It's too bad that his son committed suicide. That really must have sucked.

dkozloski
01-13-09, 02:46 PM
I'm not saying it's true in Tony's case but it's all too common for somebody to get wrapped up in doing good works all over the country and ignoring a pending disaster under their own roof. Think of all the preacher's kids you know that went wild and ask them what life at home was like. A lot of the kids in question raised themselves. The time that should have been devoted to their kids was spent addressing the problems and concerns of strangers. This really messes with the kids thinking and self worth.

trukk
01-13-09, 02:56 PM
The NFL is worse off without him. Class act.

-Chris

Brett
01-13-09, 03:15 PM
I'm not saying it's true in Tony's case but it's all too common for somebody to get wrapped up in doing good works all over the country and ignoring a pending disaster under their own roof. Think of all the preacher's kids you know that went wild and ask them what life at home was like. A lot of the kids in question raised themselves. The time that should have been devoted to their kids was spent addressing the problems and concerns of strangers. This really messes with the kids thinking and self worth.

Yeah, but now he gets to atone by preaching to other people about being a good dad:rolleyes:

I will always despise Dungy for unleashing "Dungy Ball"(Yes Virginia, there is swearing in Football) on the NFL and particularly for his role in Lovie Smith becoming a Head Coach, which caused myself and the City of Chicago a Super Bowl Trophy ironically one lost to Dungy.

The Tony Show
01-13-09, 03:36 PM

Yeah, but now he gets to atone by preaching to other people about being a good dad:rolleyes:

Lots of suicides are caused by chemical imbalances or clinical depression that no amount of parenting can correct. Considering that this man always forced his coaches to leave early to spend time with their families even before he lost his son, I seriously doubt he was remiss in his duties as a father.

I will always despise Dungy for unleashing "Dungy Ball"(Yes Virginia, there is swearing in Football) on the NFL and particularly for his role in Lovie Smith becoming a Head Coach, which caused myself and the City of Chicago a Super Bowl Trophy ironically one lost to Dungy.

Dungy leaves the NFL as the only head coach to ever make the playoffs 10 years in a row, and an average 10.7 wins per season- another NFL record. Say what you will about his methods, but the man got results without being a nutcase, redfaced workaholic like Gruden or Coughlin.

Brett
01-13-09, 03:44 PM
Id be impressed under 2 conditions:

1. Colts were known for Defense
2. Dungy had anything to do with the Colts Offense

Since both of those are false, his time in Indy does not impress me. His time in Tampa is impressive with his innovative uses of Sam Wyche's Draft picks.

Did I also mention that Dungy's supposed brilliance caused a mindless idiot known as Lovie Smith to be elevated to the point that people thought he was a Head Coach.

Dungy's tree: Herm Edwards(Loser) Lovie Smith(Idiot,Loser) Rod Marinelli(LOL Loser) Mike Tomlin(only a winner because he didnt screw with the Steelers winning formula)

The Tony Show
01-13-09, 03:53 PM
I fail to see how Chicago making an appearance in the Super Bowl qualifies their Coach as a loser- there's 30 other coaches that couldn't pull it off that year.

Regardless- I didn't intend to debate Dungy's abilities as a Coach or Father. The fact remains that it's incredibly uncommon for someone to walk away from fame and fortune to try do social work, and takes a truly selfless person to do so.

Brett
01-13-09, 03:56 PM
I fail to see how Chicago making an appearance in the Super Bowl qualifies their Coach as a loser- there's 30 other coaches that couldn't pull it off that year.

Because 20 or so of those other coaches wouldnt have shit the bed like Lovie did in that game....I hate him.:bomb: He is not what the Bears are about, hes a limp wristed tool just like Dungy

The Tony Show
01-13-09, 04:04 PM
Correction: Limp wristed tool with two NFL coaching records, a Super Bowl ring and a larger contributor to his community than most people can ever claim.

Brett
01-13-09, 04:05 PM
Correction: Limp wristed tool with two NFL coaching records, a Super Bowl ring and a larger contributor to his community than most people can ever claim.

All True:)

The Tony Show
01-13-09, 04:13 PM
:lol:

You can't seriously argue that Tony Dungy isn't an awesome coach. It's like saying that Michael Phelps isn't a good swimmer or Lance Armstrong can't ride a bike- the guy is a legend, and a hell of a classy guy.

Brett
01-13-09, 04:20 PM
:lol:

You can't seriously argue that Tony Dungy isn't an awesome coach. It's like saying that Michael Phelps isn't a good swimmer or Lance Armstrong can't ride a bike- the guy is a legend, and a hell of a classy guy.

Definitely a great coach, no doubt having Peyton Manning helps. My main issue is that I think "Dungy Ball" only really works for Dungy. He kind of introduced this "kindler, gentler coaching" thing into the NFL, everyone gushes about it, but Dungy is the only guy to pull it off year after year, which speaks to how special a person he likely is in person.

My other issue is the fawning he gets in our area here. I was listening to Steve Duemig on 620 driving home last night and he was talking about the retirement speech and said, "Well I guess this means Tony is coming home to Tampa, I suspect he will do some great things....well everything he does is great so no need to worry about that"...I mean give me a break already.

trukk
01-13-09, 04:32 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Tim Tebow found to be the Illegitimate son of Mother Theresa and Tony Dungy....

-Chris

Sory Tone couldn't resist ;)

dkozloski
01-13-09, 04:46 PM

Regardless- I didn't intend to debate Dungy's abilities as a Coach or Father. The fact remains that it's incredibly uncommon for someone to walk away from fame and fortune to try do social work, and takes a truly selfless person to do so.
Dungy may have had some feelings of guilt he was trying to salve.
Kareem Abdul Jabar left the NBA as the highest scoring player in history to coach highschool basketball as a volunteer on an Indian reservation in Arizona and made very little noise about himself doing it.

Brett
01-13-09, 04:56 PM
Not to mention his role as Roger Murdock in Airplane!

The Tony Show
01-13-09, 04:57 PM
I don't know why this needs to become a "Let's compare Dungy to everyone else thread", but since you brought up Kareem, I don't think his staying out of the spotlight was voluntary:

Post-NBA career

Since 2005, Abdul-Jabbar has served as special assistant coach for the Los Angeles Lakers. Abdul-Jabbar had been interested in coaching since his retirement, and given the influence he had on the league, he thought that the opportunity would present itself. However, during his playing years, Abdul-Jabbar had developed a reputation of being introverted and sullen. He did not speak to the press, leading to the impression that he disliked them. In his biography My Life, Magic Johnson recalls instances when Abdul-Jabbar brushed him off when Magic (as a ballboy) asked for his autograph, Abdul-Jabbar froze out reporters who gave him a too enthusiastic handshake or even hugged him, or refused to stop reading the newspaper while giving an interview. Many basketball observers, in addition to Abdul-Jabbar, believe that Kareem's reticence, whether through disdain for the press corps or simply because of introversion, contributed to the dearth of coaching opportunities offered to Kareem by the NBA. In his words, he said he had a mindset he could not overcome, and proceeded through his career oblivious to the effect his reticence may have had on his coaching prospects in the future. Kareem said: "I didn't understand that I also had affected people that way and that's what it was all about. I always saw it like they were trying to pry. I was way too suspicious and I paid a price for it." Since he began lobbying for a coaching position in 1995, he has managed to obtain only low-level assistant and scouting jobs in the NBA, and a head coaching position only in a minor professional league.

Abdul-Jabbar has worked as an assistant for the Los Angeles Clippers and the Seattle SuperSonics, helping mentor, among others, their young centers, Michael Olowokandi and Jerome James. Abdul-Jabbar was the head coach of the Oklahoma Storm United States Basketball League in 2002, leading the team to the league's championship that season, but he failed to land the head coaching position at Columbia University a year later. He then worked as a scout for the New York Knicks. Finally, on September 2, 2005, he returned to the Lakers as a special assistant to Phil Jackson to help the Lakers' centers, and in particular their young draftee Andrew Bynum. Abdul-Jabbar's influence has been credited with Bynum's emergence as a top level NBA center. Abdul-Jabbar has also served as a volunteer coach at Alchesay High School on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation in Whiteriver, Arizona since 1998.

Kareem has tried to get a coaching job since he retired, and only took the job at the Indian reservation when no one else would have him.

Dungy gave a press conference because that's what public figures do when they retire. The difference is that instead of immediately taking a six figure job as a TV suit or commentator, he chose to do some good in the world. Why people feel the need to try and belittle that choice or his accomplishments is beyond me.

Brett
01-13-09, 04:59 PM
You are correct Tony, Kareem didnt coach because he was a dick, not because he was altruistic...hence my smart ass Airplane! comment.

dkozloski
01-13-09, 07:57 PM
You are correct Tony, Kareem didnt coach because he was a dick, not because he was altruistic...hence my smart ass Airplane! comment.
Kareem had public relations problems clear back when he was Lew Alcindor at UCLA. He was defensive about everything personal.

I always had the impression that Tony Dungy was passive to the same degree as Jimmy Carter and felt that if he was nice enough to everybody else they'd be nice to him in return even to the other teams letting him win out of admiration of his good manners. I'd have had a better opinion of him if I'd ever seen him really blow a gasket at somebody.

MauiV
01-13-09, 09:47 PM
Since I cant stand the Colts.....Adios!!!

I do like the Bucs and have always respected Dungy but I think he is a bit to much of a nice guy for my taste as a coach.

Sam Gilbert was able to take care of any of Lew Alcindors flaws the sam way he bought all of John Woodens titles.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-18-09, 02:26 PM
Dont think Dungy will be gone long .

Im thinking General Manager for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers