: MacBooks and Batteries.

dkozloski
01-12-09, 02:14 PM
What's the deal with MacBooks and batteries? My wife who is a teacher has a MacBook that is provided by the school district and the battery is stone dead and won't charge AGAIN. The only way you can get it to boot on the power supply is with a hard reset. Checking with her fellow teachers, she's not the only one.

I've had PC notebooks for years, both Sony and H-P, and I've never had a battery fail. They get weak and lose capacity but they don't die.

Is this the nasty little secret about MacBooks?

Rolex
01-12-09, 02:53 PM
My Macbook is over a year old and still has good battery life. How long before hers started acting up?

Coma
01-12-09, 03:20 PM
I am pretty sure Asus makes Macbooks but I don't know who provides the battery for them. My MBP has been working fine since 2006.

slk230mb
01-12-09, 03:21 PM
My Macbook is over a year old and still has good battery life. How long before hers started acting up?

:yeah:

No problems here. Is her battery part of that massive recall from a couple years back?

dkozloski
01-12-09, 03:32 PM
She got it in September and the battery has failed. Some of her fellow teachers have the same experience.

dkozloski
01-12-09, 03:47 PM
A quick Google search for "dead macbook battery" produced a million hits. Most were from a couple of years ago. Maybe my wife's unit was sitting on the shelf for a while before she got it.

Coma
01-12-09, 04:23 PM
Well, if she got it through the government...

ryannel2003
01-12-09, 04:37 PM
There was a recall about these batteries failing in MacBook and MacBook Pro's. There is the battery update first, starting here:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

If that doesn't work, send it back to Apple and they should give you a brand new one. I've had my MacBook for almost a year and it still has 99% health.

dkozloski
01-12-09, 04:47 PM
There was a recall about these batteries failing in MacBook and MacBook Pro's. There is the battery update first, starting here:

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

If that doesn't work, send it back to Apple and they should give you a brand new one. I've had my MacBook for almost a year and it still has 99% health.
It sounds like you have the answer for her problem. Thanks.

tman2093
01-12-09, 09:41 PM
12" powerbook here. Battery only hold about half charge (2 hours 20 minutes with full brightness and wifi)

not bad for a 4 year old notebook.

Cliff8928
01-13-09, 03:38 AM
I've got a 17" PowerBook G4 (1.33) and it's going on over 5 years old now and my battery is at 31% health, but it doesn't die right when unplugged. I can't say that I use it in a way that's ideal for the battery health either.

My Mom's old (original) iBook did however have the battery completely fail on it like that, it was replaced under warranty and as far as I know still works for the person who just got it recently. (replaced it with a 15.4" 2.6 GHz MBP)

AMGoff
01-14-09, 01:40 AM
As previously mentioned, there was a recalled issued for certain MacBooks of a particular vintage concerning the batteries. However, the issue was certainly fixed by September of '08... Assuming that it was actually manufactured around that date and not just some holdover. Either way... If these are acting up, are among the affected MBs, and haven't yet been sent back for proper replacement - whoever's in charge of your wife's district technology department should be strung up by their balls... There's absolutely no excuse for such a thing as it's nothing but pure laziness.

FWIW though... Our last order of MacBooks came in October '07 and they've worked flawlessly. So it's really a matter of which batches came with batteries from the defective suppliers.

dkozloski
01-14-09, 11:23 AM
My wifes MacBook was issued to her almost exactly one year ago. She took it to her IT department and they told her it would take weeks for them to evaluate and address the problem with all the steps they will have to go through. She'll probably go buy a new battery out of her pocket because she can't stand to be without the MacBook for more than a day or so.

ryannel2003
01-14-09, 11:46 AM
I'll say the only issue my MacBook has is the cracked palmrest, but I'm going to buy one off eBay for $50 and it will look like new. The 1st revisions had quite a bit of issues, but I'm really shocked the battery had died so quickly.

dkozloski
01-14-09, 01:17 PM
A couple of sources I've run across say that if you close the lid with it in "sleep", it'll keep going until the battery is flat. If it sits with a flat battery, the flat battery kills itself dead.