: Cat Questions

greencadillacmatt
01-12-09, 12:11 PM
Just wondering if there will be any problems with pulling the catalytic converter out of my '84 DeVille? I will put the air tube out of the way, and I'm going to straight pipe it. :D The converter isn't clogged (the car only has 50,000 on the clock) but the less things it has to force air through the better, right? Will I notice any noticable performance by doing this? I know that there will be a more gas smell to the exhaust. Lastly, will my O2 Sensor be affected by doing this? Thanks for any input.
-Matt Murdock

csbuckn
01-12-09, 12:39 PM
depending on who you ask, you will lose torque. I think I lost some torque when I took mine off but it does better on the highway. I'm not sure where your O2 sensor is but if its after the cat, you may see your check engine light. If its before, you should have no problems.

Aron9000
01-12-09, 11:24 PM
Depending on what type of muffler you run, it could be really loud(I'm talking Talledega style loud with no muffler). I knew some guys with LS1 fbodys that had headers, no cats, dual exhaust with bullet mufflers. That was just insanely loud.

All I'm saying is that it would be really white trash to run a loud exhaust on a slow 4100 V8. If you had something like a nasty 572 BBC under the hood, then that's different. Gotta have the bite to back up the bark.

greencadillacmatt
01-13-09, 12:08 AM
I'm definately not into the loudness thing. That's not what a Cadillac is for (unless maybe there is a 500 or something cool under the hood.) I'm just trying to find some free power on the old HT4100. I'm not going to hack the exhaust if it actually makes me lose power. That would be crazy on something as slow as my car!:thepan:
Thanks for the input, guys. This forum is always a big help to me. :thumbsup:

sven914
01-14-09, 09:37 AM
I know that when I lost the muffler off my 89 with a .307, I couldn't hear the radio when I was on the highway. Also, removing the cat will reduce the back pressure so the Check Engine Light will come on constantly. Lastly, some states still require emissions tests on early 80's cars, and removing the catalytic converter is consider tampering with the Government imposed emission controls, and in Michigan, is punishable with a maximum fine of $10,000.00.

greencadillacmatt
01-14-09, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the update on my question, all input is appreciated. :thumbsup:

cadillac_al
01-15-09, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't waste time trying to get power out of the 4.1. You should baby it because they aren't that dependable.