: left side dash light out

kaustein
01-11-09, 11:18 PM
I have a dashboard light out. It stopped working so I hit the top of the dash and it came back on. Had to do this a couple of times now. However last time it when out, it never came back on.

Is it easy to pull the dashboard panel out? I figure if I can get the whole unit out easily I will change all the bulbs that are used for dashboard illumination.

JRomano
01-12-09, 12:24 AM
There is a guide somewhere around here, once you do it once you can do it with your eyes closed.
First take out the two center vents above the radio/center console.
I used a flat head to pry them out from the center, once you pop one out, the other is easier.
Once removed you will see two Philips screws, undo these two screws, carefully, and then slide the center vent housing out.
Once the vent housing is removed you will see another Philips head screw at the bottom right of the instrument cluster, take it out.
Now you must remove the steering column upper cover, the piece between the top of the steering wheel and the instrument cluster...
Turn the steering wheel 90* left and you will reveal a small cap/cover that is hiding a Philips head screw where the steering column cover seam is on the left side.
Do this again, turning the wheel 90* to the right to reveal the right hand screw.
Once the screws are out you can slide the upper steering column cover up and off.
If you look you will now see another Philips screw directly under the trip meter reset button, take it out.
Now the instrument cluster is almost free.
Tilt the steering wheel as low as it goes and start to wiggle the instrument cluster towards you, pulling it slightly more on the right hand side where the center vents were.
It should almost be out, but there is a wire connector next to where the vents were that you must unclip.
Once you have unclipped the wire harness you can fully remove the instrument cluster from the dash, be careful as I scratched up the trim above the A/C and Heat controls when doing mine.

There are 7 main wedge bulbs for the illumination, 194 style, NOT the 5w 168. The 168's (a.k.a. W5W or 2825) as I found out are too bright and when you dim them down you cant see the radio controls anymore and you'll probably start melting the plastic with them on full bright.

There are also a whole bunch like 18 or so of these 1.1w twist lock bulbs for warning indicators. http://www.aboveallmotorwerks.com/Products/OSRAM-SYLVANIA-Bulb-12V---11W-Clear-Glass-(Orange-Base)__OSRAM-SYLVANIA_4A0919040C_S.aspx

As well as 5 or so of these 1.5w twist lock bulbs for a few other warning indicators http://www.aboveallmotorwerks.com/Products/OSRAM-SYLVANIA-Bulb-with-Beige-Socket-Base-for-Dashboard-Instruments-12V---15W__OSRAM-SYLVANIA_99963102790_S.aspx

I bought all new bulbs because I didn't want to have to go back in again when more blow out. I got all my twist lock indicator bulbs from the site I linked to as they were the only place I could find with a reasonable price.

I bought a 10 pack of the 194 bulbs from www.mcmaster.com

Hope that helps

kaustein
01-18-09, 12:05 AM
There is a guide somewhere around here, once you do it once you can do it with your eyes closed.
First take out the two center vents above the radio/center console.
I used a flat head to pry them out from the center, once you pop one out, the other is easier.
Once removed you will see two Philips screws, undo these two screws, carefully, and then slide the center vent housing out.
Once the vent housing is removed you will see another Philips head screw at the bottom right of the instrument cluster, take it out.
Now you must remove the steering column upper cover, the piece between the top of the steering wheel and the instrument cluster...
Turn the steering wheel 90* left and you will reveal a small cap/cover that is hiding a Philips head screw where the steering column cover seam is on the left side.
Do this again, turning the wheel 90* to the right to reveal the right hand screw.
Once the screws are out you can slide the upper steering column cover up and off.
If you look you will now see another Philips screw directly under the trip meter reset button, take it out.
Now the instrument cluster is almost free.
Tilt the steering wheel as low as it goes and start to wiggle the instrument cluster towards you, pulling it slightly more on the right hand side where the center vents were.
It should almost be out, but there is a wire connector next to where the vents were that you must unclip.
Once you have unclipped the wire harness you can fully remove the instrument cluster from the dash, be careful as I scratched up the trim above the A/C and Heat controls when doing mine.

There are 7 main wedge bulbs for the illumination, 194 style, NOT the 5w 168. The 168's (a.k.a. W5W or 2825) as I found out are too bright and when you dim them down you cant see the radio controls anymore and you'll probably start melting the plastic with them on full bright.

There are also a whole bunch like 18 or so of these 1.1w twist lock bulbs for warning indicators. http://www.aboveallmotorwerks.com/Products/OSRAM-SYLVANIA-Bulb-12V---11W-Clear-Glass-(Orange-Base)__OSRAM-SYLVANIA_4A0919040C_S.aspx

As well as 5 or so of these 1.5w twist lock bulbs for a few other warning indicators http://www.aboveallmotorwerks.com/Products/OSRAM-SYLVANIA-Bulb-with-Beige-Socket-Base-for-Dashboard-Instruments-12V---15W__OSRAM-SYLVANIA_99963102790_S.aspx

I bought all new bulbs because I didn't want to have to go back in again when more blow out. I got all my twist lock indicator bulbs from the site I linked to as they were the only place I could find with a reasonable price.

I bought a 10 pack of the 194 bulbs from www.mcmaster.com

Hope that helps

It does and thanks. But I think that I will wait until it gets warmer to try it. Too freakin' cold now! Even in the garage!