: cts/catera drive by wire or throttle cable

o3cts
01-11-09, 12:39 PM
Whats going on guys. I'm trying to eliminate the drive by wire for my 03 3.2L cts. I'm looking at the catera engine I believe the 3.0.
My question is, was there a specific year catera that used a throttle cable instead of drive bywire for the dual throttle body's? Or were they all drive by wire? If anyone can help me out with that will help me out alot in my search. Thanks in advance

CateraMV6
01-11-09, 01:18 PM
Nope, 97-99 were Cable driven, then late 99 they started switching to DBW system... so the 00-01 are DBW, as is the CTS...
Also the ECU has some direct interaction with the TBs and if you switch you will need new pedal system, then the hook up around the engine will be kind of interesting too...

But good luck!

o3cts
01-11-09, 05:26 PM
Nope, 97-99 were Cable driven, then late 99 they started switching to DBW system... so the 00-01 are DBW, as is the CTS...
Also the ECU has some direct interaction with the TBs and if you switch you will need new pedal system, then the hook up around the engine will be kind of interesting too...

But good luck!

Thanks alot for the repsonse. Gonna hit up a few junkyards ,and see what comes up. Would anyone have the color wire diagram for the catera tps sensor? Going to try and wire it it up and see what becomes of it.

guardian
01-16-09, 10:58 AM
Thanks alot for the repsonse. Gonna hit up a few junkyards ,and see what comes up. Would anyone have the color wire diagram for the catera tps sensor? Going to try and wire it it up and see what becomes of it.

Please be incredibly thoughtful and careful. The Cats are German cars, especially the parts of concern to you. Your CTS is ALL AMERICAN.

Plus you are being forced to consider earlier Cats which, I agree, were not drive-by-wire. But the earlier Cats were thus even MORE German, closer to the Opels they really are.

So please be careful. Don't want to see you mess up or blow up your American CTS.

Southern-Hospitality
01-18-09, 11:11 AM
What are you trying to do by changing this?

catarasteez
01-25-09, 09:03 AM
quick question: when they changed to the drive by wire system in mid 99, was this when they did the re-design of some parts of the catera? i have been lurking this forum for months now, and i just recently bought a 99. my car is the drive by wire system. i have heard alot about the pre 99 cateras, and their un-reliabilty. is this the way to tell if my car is one of the "better" cateras?

Warez
01-25-09, 08:15 PM
The early cable throttle Catera's have a completely different ECU, tranmission control module and engine wiring harness. Various sersors on the engine are different as well.

You would have to transfer all of these components to the CTS while removing the CTS's 5-speed automatic. Integrating the older wiring harness to work in the CTS would be am immensely complex task.

Attempting this conversion would be a huge waste of time.

I'm guessing that you are looking for a way to get rid of the torque management?

BTW the 99 model year engines are the same as the 2000 and 2001.

Warez
01-25-09, 10:56 PM
Plus you are being forced to consider earlier Cats which, I agree, were not drive-by-wire. But the earlier Cats were thus even MORE German, closer to the Opels they really are.

So please be careful. Don't want to see you mess up or blow up your American CTS.

You actually have it reversed.

The early 1997 and 1998 North American spec engines are more different from their European counterparts; specifically EGR, OBD2, secondary O2 sensors, and a few other components.

The later 1999+ North American and European spec engines share much more in common. Both are also drive by wire.