: What's a "Chick" car?

orconn
01-10-09, 01:14 PM
Destroyer's recent query about what car should replace his Mustang, once again brought forward the opinion that certain cars were "chick" cars. So I got to thinking, once again, what makes a "chick" car. Some time back, in a similar discussion, I mentioned that around where I live, recent model Corvettes seem to be driven predominately by women in their late forties and early fifties. And Chad confirmed that most of the newer Corvettes coming into the Chev dealer where he worked were also driven by middle aged women. It was also noticed that it appeared that the drivers of various model BMWs, Escalades, CTSs and SRXs and other SUV crossovers were women not men. So what then does that leave as "Men's" cars. The only one that I have noticed being driven more predominately by men are Porsches. So my question is what constitutes a "Chick" car?

Submariner409
01-10-09, 01:22 PM
My take is that a certain car may be seen as a "chick magnet", not necessarily driven by a "chick".

tman2093
01-10-09, 01:24 PM
Well what makes a masculine car? Masculinity comes from aggressive lines, big engines, and baller reputation.

Most chick cars, although sometimes well performing, have weaker engines, are a little bit more rounded, and are most often new models, or a continutiuon of the same model, which was also previously a chick car.

Case in point, the Mazda Miata. The single finger door latches force any occupant to daintily open the door with a finger. Please. It's round and bubbly and while a decent performaer, it can't hang with the big dogs.

Now the confusion begins near the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky. Same engines, different sheetmetal. THe sky looks a lot more aggressive than the solstice, deeming the sky a mans car, the solstice a chick car.

Now you may be wondering, but the JEtta is a pretty aggressive looking car, and they've got some bretty good engines in it! How come it's still a chick car. IT's 2 things really. What sounds deadlier? Jetta, or Cobra? and the jetta is still just a compact car which really doesnt excel in any area.

The volkswagen beetle: This is a chick car for doezens of reasons, my favorite being, on the build order: "Flower holder delete 0$"

Volvo CXX: any car that desnt excel in one area over another, but focuses on safety, is a chick car.

Disclaimer: These are my observations and opinions. No offense is to be taken by any person who may own these cars. There are exceptions to all rules.

urbanski
01-10-09, 01:25 PM
a new beetle (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/158549-sts-gone-im-out-almost-6k.html)

Kev
01-10-09, 01:25 PM
First of all, unless they really screw it up, Corvettes will always be a guy's car, usually the lucky few young guys with money but mostly middle age to older because they typically are the ones who can afford them. Chicks driving them does not make them a chick's car per say, no more than a chick driving a pickup truck. Most guys find that alluring.

Common chick's cars;
1. Volkswagen Beetle Convertible
2. Volkswagen Cabriolet Convertible
3. Chrysler Sebring Convertible
4. Volkswagen Jetta

Too early for me to think of others but feel free to add to the list guys.
As the list develops it's not hard to see the pattern.

Night Wolf
01-10-09, 02:38 PM
Well what makes a masculine car? Masculinity comes from aggressive lines, big engines, and baller reputation.

Most chick cars, although sometimes well performing, have weaker engines, are a little bit more rounded, and are most often new models, or a continutiuon of the same model, which was also previously a chick car.

Case in point, the Mazda Miata. The single finger door latches force any occupant to daintily open the door with a finger. Please. It's round and bubbly and while a decent performaer, it can't hang with the big dogs.

Now the confusion begins near the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky. Same engines, different sheetmetal. THe sky looks a lot more aggressive than the solstice, deeming the sky a mans car, the solstice a chick car.

Now you may be wondering, but the JEtta is a pretty aggressive looking car, and they've got some bretty good engines in it! How come it's still a chick car. IT's 2 things really. What sounds deadlier? Jetta, or Cobra? and the jetta is still just a compact car which really doesnt excel in any area.

The volkswagen beetle: This is a chick car for doezens of reasons, my favorite being, on the build order: "Flower holder delete 0$"

Volvo CXX: any car that desnt excel in one area over another, but focuses on safety, is a chick car.

Disclaimer: These are my observations and opinions. No offense is to be taken by any person who may own these cars. There are exceptions to all rules.

Well, therein lies the issue. If you are putting the Miata up in a drag race, then of course, it's ~1.8L NA 4cyl will not hang with V8's producing several hundred HP.... but that is not what the car was made for. If someone shows up to an auto-x event with a properly setup Miata (mostly suspension work) guys in Vipers will be on their toes.

It all goes back to the alpa-male persona, trying to make your vehicle an extension of you to give off that "I am bigger/better" then you, hence smaller/nimble cars typically carry on the chicks car image. For those that can't handle being critized by some on the car they drive, then yeah, it would hurt their ego and not reccomended. For others that don't give a darn about what others' opinions are about your car, then it makes no difference and you just enjoy it for what it is, because you like it - guess it depends how strong your character and how tough your skin is. I get crap now and then for driving an "Amigo" not chick car comments but just from the name, yet Rodeo is commonly accepted as cool (Amigo is just a 2-door 1/2 removeable top Rodeo that looks cooler) Makes no difference to me tho. Heck when I was in the market for an E30 convertible the other car as a possibily was none other then a 1st gen Miata, some may look and say BMW vs Miata? but I was looking beyond the image that the car portrays and chose the BMW for other reasons.

MauiV
01-10-09, 04:04 PM
Most convertables are chick cars. Miata, SLK, Boxter, Z3(any 3 cept the M actually), Sky, Solstice, Cabriolet etc etc. The XK, Cobra, Corvette, SL etc etc are guy cars

Some like the C70, Mustang, Wrangler, CLK fall in between.

Almost everything VW badges is a chick car.

Most midsized crossover soccer mommy mobiles qualify also as does every minivan.

93DevilleUSMC
01-10-09, 04:06 PM
Chick car= overly curved, underpowered POS designed for looks and not performance.

heavymetals
01-10-09, 04:15 PM
Any car painted pink.

93DevilleUSMC
01-10-09, 04:21 PM
Prius. Avalon. M-B E-class.

Ranger
01-10-09, 07:30 PM
A pink Mary Kay Cadillac.

LS1Mike
01-10-09, 07:37 PM
Anything VW poops out.

tman2093
01-10-09, 07:48 PM
Saw a Mary Kay DTS this week, old guy was driving it with his wife int he passenger seat. He looked longingly at my STS.

mbnv992
01-10-09, 08:24 PM
IMO,
The Beetle, Jetta, Miata, Jeep Wrangler, Corolla "S" (I see TONS of chicks here in CT driving around in those things), the Mazda3 (90% chicks driving them around CT as well), hmmm . . . . . that's about all I can think of. Oh, and, a quick story, several months ago I was driving along on I-84 in East Hartford, when I saw a brand new Bentley Convertible come up in my rear-view. I slow down a bit so I can get a good look at this $250,000+ car (this was that first time I've seen a "live and in person" newer Bentley) and who's driving it???? A hot blond in her mid 30's (at the LATEST). That made my day :) :)

93DevilleUSMC
01-10-09, 09:04 PM
Jeep Liberty.

misfit6794
01-10-09, 09:29 PM
We;ve forgotten a major chick car player here, the Neon, remember the original ad campaigns, "Hi." Total chick car, don't forget the mazda 3 too, they love them.

ejguillot
01-10-09, 09:38 PM
Prius. Avalon. M-B E-class.

Exception: Any AMG E-Class. Big V8 does not equal chick car. :yup:

Chick car: M-B C-Class! Even the AMG versions are questionable.

Ranger
01-10-09, 09:42 PM
Saw a Mary Kay DTS this week, old guy was driving it with his wife int he passenger seat. He looked longingly at my STS.
:histeric:
Poor guy. I can only imagine what was going through his head.

trukk
01-10-09, 10:34 PM
There are a few criteria which when applied to a car will instantly NOT make it a chick car, no matter what:

1) Rear Wheel Drive and manual transmission.
2) Any car that has it's own spec racing series.
3) Anything with 8 cylinders
4) Any Corvette

For this reason:

A MIATA IS NOT A CHICK CAR. [go to any road course on any given weekend, and you will see.]
A CONVERTIBLE MUSTANG GT IS NOT A CHICK CAR.
ANY CORVETTE IS NOT A CHICK CAR.
-Chris

MauiV
01-10-09, 11:29 PM
On back to back days I saw a Mary Kay SRX in DuhVille and then saw a Mary Kay XLR in Bowling Green, about 2 blocks from the plant. Poor cars.

The Miata is the epitome of a chick car. Its what chicks who WANT a Z3 or a CLK actually end up with. I dont care how many you see on track day, I have seen a Chevy Caprice Box at some SCCA events, doesnt mean its a race car without some meven with some mods.

The kind of guy that would drive a Miata would also ride on the back of a motorcycle or share an umbrella with another man. Some things just shouldnt be done. Man Law!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/miata.jpg

trukk
01-10-09, 11:46 PM
On back to back days I saw a Mary Kay SRX in DuhVille and then saw a Mary Kay XLR in Bowling Green, about 2 blocks from the plant. Poor cars.

The Miata is the epitome of a chick car. Its what chicks who WANT a Z3 or a CLK actually end up with. I dont care how many you see on track day, I have seen a Chevy Caprice Box at some SCCA events, doesnt mean its a race car without some meven with some mods.

The kind of guy that would drive a Miata would also ride on the back of a motorcycle or share an umbrella with another man. Some things just shouldnt be done. Man Law!

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/miata.jpg

You sir have your head instered squarley in your ass.

Any car that is RWD, has nearly perfect balance, handles like a go cart, and emulated a british roadster is NOT a chick car. I don't care what your homophobic ass thinks.

You need to check out a Spec Miata, or MX-5 cup race.

They get bonus points because you can shoehorn an LS1 in there as well.

Anyone that thinks a miata is a chick car, is NOT A CAR GUY.

-Chris

93DevilleUSMC
01-11-09, 12:26 AM
Exception: Any AMG E-Class. Big V8 does not equal chick car. :yup:

Chick car: M-B C-Class! Even the AMG versions are questionable.

Well, of course the AMG versions are exempt. I'll even give the C-Class a masculinity nod.

93DevilleUSMC
01-11-09, 12:34 AM
You sir have your head instered squarley in your ass.

Anyone that thinks a miata is a chick car, is NOT A CAR GUY.

-Chris

Any guy who can't correctly spell the words "truck", "inserted", and "squarely" is the last person qualified to talk. Go listen to Clay Aiken while you decorate.

GizmoQ
01-11-09, 12:58 AM
I always thought the Lexus convertible just had too many curves to be a guy car.

trukk
01-11-09, 01:19 AM
Any guy who can't correctly spell the words "truck", "inserted", and "squarely" is the last person qualified to talk. Go listen to Clay Aiken while you decorate.

LOL, says the guy who edited his own post. I'll give you a pass on being a grammar/spelling nazi. You are 22 so I'll also give you a pass on the homophobia.

Anyone that's been to the track (and I mean the real track, that has turns) knows the Miata is not a chick car.

-Chris

93DevilleUSMC
01-11-09, 01:26 AM
LOL, says the guy who edited his own post. I'll give you a pass on being a grammar/spelling nazi. You are 22 so I'll also give you a pass on the homophobia.

Anyone that's been to the track (and I mean the real track, that has turns) knows the Miata is not a chick car.

-Chris

At least, unlike you, I can edit. I was refraining from telling you to cut your mullet before I realized that you most likely wear a ponytail.

Tracks have turns? Wow! You just realized that?

trukk
01-11-09, 01:32 AM
At least, unlike you, I can edit. I was refraining from telling you to cut your mullet before I realized that you most likely wear a ponytail.

Tracks have turns? Wow! You just realized that?

Thats what you came up with? Bad spellerating, I'm ghey, have a mullet or a pony tail?

I suppose you've been tracking your 4.9 then?

-Chris

93DevilleUSMC
01-11-09, 01:32 AM
And the Miata is a chick car. It was primarily marketed as a fun, sporty subcompact with great emphasis on style, and little emphasis on practical cosiderations such as cockpit space and cargo capacity.

93DevilleUSMC
01-11-09, 01:33 AM
Thats what you came up with? Bad spellerating, I'm ghey, have a mullet or a pony tail?

I suppose you've been tracking your 4.9 then?

-Chris

If I cared about tracking, I would own a Porsche.

93DevilleUSMC
01-11-09, 01:35 AM
I'm ghey, have a mullet or a pony tail?

-Chris

You said it, not me.

tman2093
01-11-09, 01:35 AM
you know a chick car related catfight is not nearly as amusing to watch as a regular catfight...

And the miata is a chick car. you have to limp wrist to open the freaking doors.

93DevilleUSMC
01-11-09, 01:36 AM
Perhaps, TRUCK, you should learn to disagree with guys like LS1Mike more respectfully, as opposed to telling them where their heads are supposedly inserted.

93DevilleUSMC
01-11-09, 01:38 AM
you know a chick car related catfight is not nearly as amusing to watch as a regular catfight...

And the miata is a chick car. you have to limp wrist to open the freaking doors.

We have a winner!

trukk
01-11-09, 01:46 AM
Perhaps, TRUCK, you should learn to disagree with guys like LS1Mike more respectfully, as opposed to telling them where their heads are supposedly inserted.

I replied to MauiV, not LS1Mike, scroll up. I BS all the time with MauiV which is why I said what I did.

Anyone that is limp wristing the Miata has their head up their ass, and I stand by that.

Obviously we all have our opinions. Mine comes from the track, no clue where you guys are comming from.

-Chris

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-09, 01:47 AM
Let's compromise. The Miata is an effeminate track star.

93DevilleUSMC
01-11-09, 01:49 AM
MauiV, then, my mistake. You should still learn to be a bit more respectful. I know for a fact that MauiV has long experience in the areas he spoke about.

Opinions are like posteriors, in that everyone has them, and no one is special for it.

Night Wolf
01-11-09, 01:50 AM
I understand there are all types of opinions... and some people are stuck in their own mindset no matter what...

but could someone explain how a Jeep Wrangler is a chicks car?

93DevilleUSMC
01-11-09, 01:51 AM
I fail to comprehend the Wrangler as a chick car as well. It is a proven off-road work horse, and the modern equivalent of the same light truck that got the U.S. Army through three major wars.

93DevilleUSMC
01-11-09, 01:52 AM
Let's compromise. The Miata is an effeminate track star.

Fair enough. I'd track it, but I won't call it manly. Unlike some, I don't need a car to define my manhood.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-11-09, 01:53 AM
Miata is definitely a chick car. I heard a girl in my school once describe hers as "Sex-a-licious" (had to figure out how to spell that). The Boxter is also a chick car. The Jetta, while although mostly driven by women, I will not classify as a chick car. I would put it under Yuppie cars. In the suburbs they are mostly driven by women but in the city it is about a 50/50 mix guys and gals. I also see mostly women driving Honda CRVs. Also, can't forget the Hummer H2. It screams soccer mom almost as much as a minivan. Jeep Liberty goes up there as well.

To whomever said anything badged by VW is a chick car, I say no. I would take a V-10 TDI Touareg anyday.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-09, 01:53 AM
but could someone explain how a Jeep Wrangler is a chicks car?

Girls love 'em. They're small, easy to handle, easy to park, can easily be made into a convertible, and they can off road in them very easily.

My friend Evan used to have one, and we'd give 'em shit all the time for it. But it's one of those cars that can be a chick car and a manly car at the same time.

trukk
01-11-09, 01:54 AM
MauiV, then, my mistake. You should still learn to be a bit more respectful. I know for a fact that MauiV has long experience in the areas he spoke about.

Opinions are like posteriors, in that everyone has them, and no one is special for it.

Again, Like I said, I've been BS'ing for a long time with Maui over in the V forums. Feel free to read all 13k posts in this thread to catch up:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2004/45523-go-gators-natl-champs.html

And for the record: I am an ass, but I don't have a mullet. My wife and ghey love do though.

-Chris

tman2093
01-11-09, 01:55 AM
the only girls I know with wranglers are very tomboyish, or are the doms in their lesbian relationships. Not trying to be offensive, but thats the observation form NC.

You say that the miata is great on the track, but are they really out there in amountable numbers? I genuinely don't know, do not attack me on that.

If the miata is not really popular on the track, then saying its a chick car, is analogous to calling an H2 a soccer mom car, as it's capable off road, but few make it there.

trukk
01-11-09, 01:59 AM
I think we need to better define 'chick car'...just because women like to drive a particular car, does not make it a 'chick car'.

A chick car is style over substance. Has little to no ability to classify it as a drivers car.

For instance:

- Any convertible VW is a chick car
- A honda Del Sol is a chick car

A miata, and a Wrangler are NOT chick cars, even though a lot of chick might drive them.

Clear as mud.

-Chris

trukk
01-11-09, 02:01 AM
<snip>
You say that the miata is great on the track, but are they really out there in amountable numbers? I genuinely don't know, do not attack me on that.

If the miata is not really popular on the track, then saying its a chick car, is analogous to calling an H2 a soccer mom car, as it's capable off road, but few make it there.

This is spot on. There are a lot of miata at the track, not just a few. Why? They are bullet proof, cheap, great handlers, and easy/cheap to mod.

While lots of Soccer Moms drive H2's they are not a chick car, because they have substance along with their style.

-Chris

93DevilleUSMC
01-11-09, 02:03 AM
Trukk, why are you so defensive about the chick car designation? What does it matter in the end? People call my car a granny car quite often. Look at all 1,700+ posts I have made and see if you find me complaining about it. I love my car, other opinions aside.

tman2093
01-11-09, 02:06 AM
trukk, you've got my argument backwards, which I attribute to my poor wording in my previous post. I'm saying that although the Miata is capable on track, it's still driven mostly by women, thus chick car. H2, although capable off road, is still a soccer mom/compensating male truck.

trukk
01-11-09, 02:09 AM
Trukk, why are you so defensive about the chick car designation? What does it matter in the end? People call my car a granny car quite often. Look at all 1,700+ posts I have made and see if you find me complaining about it. I love my car, other opinions aside.

Just passionate bout my opinion...nothing more nothing less...I don't own a Miata, but I respect the sh!t outta those little things. They can really move around a track. Just trying to give it some love.

BTW I've got about 5k posts...I don't think post count has a thing to do with it.

Alos you will note that I didn't bash on your car. Most of love our cars here, or we wouldn't be posting on a caddy site late on a Saturday night.

Anyway time for a few more :alchi::alchi::alchi:

-Chris

trukk
01-11-09, 02:13 AM
trukk, you've got my argument backwards, which I attribute to my poor wording in my previous post. I'm saying that although the Miata is capable on track, it's still driven mostly by women, thus chick car. H2, although capable off road, is still a soccer mom/compensating male truck.

You've got the definaition of a chick car wrong then. Se my other post. Just because women like to drive a particular car, doesn't make it a chick car. If it is style over substance car, then it's a chick car. That's my definition at least.

A big part of it has to do with the dirving experience. Again FWD/automatic only cars, go to the front of the line of perspective chick cars.

-Chris

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-11-09, 02:13 AM
Wow, at the rate we are posting tonight we might as well just be IMing each other. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-09, 02:14 AM
Mini Cooper? Chick car or trendy car?

trukk
01-11-09, 02:18 AM
Mini Cooper? Chick car or trendy car?

FWD necessitates 'chick car'.

I'd love it if they made it in RWD though.

-Chris

Night Wolf
01-11-09, 02:19 AM
Girls love 'em. They're small, easy to handle, easy to park, can easily be made into a convertible, and they can off road in them very easily.

My friend Evan used to have one, and we'd give 'em shit all the time for it. But it's one of those cars that can be a chick car and a manly car at the same time.

huh?

None of that makes sense.... if a vehicle is easy to park then it is a girls car? Easy to handle and made into a convertible?

I mean seriously, you just described a freakin full size Ford Bronco... removeable top, short wheel base, super tight turning radius, that thing is easier to park then my BMW.... or what about an old IH Scout... or RAM Charger....

Also, can't forget the Hummer H2. It screams soccer mom almost as much as a minivan. Jeep Liberty goes up there as well.

Your right, may as well throw in the Chevy Tahoe, GMC Denali and Cadillac Escalade too :alchi:

I find this humorous.... people are just taking cars they do not like for whatever reason and saying they are chicks cars for ridiculous reasons. After reading the above definitions for a chicks car, may as well throw in the Mazda RX-7, it's curvy and has a small engine.... oh, also the Porsche 944 and similar, they are rounded and have small engines too... the list goes on.

So I suppose 2 of the 3 vehicles I own are girls cars... the Isuzu, plus it's an "Amigo" I mean...hehe... what kind of name is that? and my BMW is triply a girls car, because it is a 3-seires, and a convertible and not an M... despite it's "puny" 2.5L I6 can push it beyond 140 stock. Heh, of all the comments I've gotten on that car, nobody has yet to say it's a girls car.... I suppose on days I want to feel like a real man I should drive my large V8 Lincoln, since it is harder to park and dosen't have a removeable top :bigroll:

Really, I dunno, maybe around here people are more open to breaking out of stereotypes, because all sorts of people drive all sorts of cars... a gray haired old lady drives a Corvette, you see lots of women driving lifted diesel 1-ton pickups towing large gooseneck horse trailers etc...

I guess if you need the assurance that you really are really a man, or want to add a few inches then get a "manly" car. Anyone that "uses" their vehicle for something other then vehicle-things, such as to pick up girls, to prove they more of a man, to portray a certain image is just in denial with themselves anyway. I still don't see the meaning behind making fun of someone else' car, no matter what it is.

Of course all this is just my opinion anyway, so it really dosen't matter.

trukk
01-11-09, 02:19 AM
Wow, at the rate we are posting tonight we might as well just be IMing each other. :)

Heh....not sure why you 'kids' are posting so much at this time... You should bout partying... ;)

-Chris

gary88
01-11-09, 02:21 AM
Boxter is a chick car. The Boxter S however passes as being acceptable for a man to own.

More chick cars:
Pontiac Sunfire
V6 Mustang
SLK (exception for the SLK55 AMG)
W209 CLK convertible (exception for the AMG models, treading thin ice with non-AMG hardtops)
BMW X3
Scions

trukk
01-11-09, 02:22 AM
huh?

None of that makes sense.... if a vehicle is easy to park then it is a girls car? Easy to handle and made into a convertible?

I mean seriously, you just described a freakin full size Ford Bronco... removeable top, short wheel base, super tight turning radius, that thing is easier to park then my BMW.... or what about an old IH Scout... or RAM Charger....

Your right, may as well throw in the Chevy Tahoe, GMC Denali and Cadillac Escalade too :alchi:

I find this humorous.... people are just taking cars they do not like for whatever reason and saying they are chicks cars for ridiculous reasons. After reading the above definitions for a chicks car, may as well throw in the Mazda RX-7, it's curvy and has a small engine.... oh, also the Porsche 944 and similar, they are rounded and have small engines too... the list goes on.

So I suppose 2 of the 3 vehicles I own are girls cars... the Isuzu, plus it's an "Amigo" I mean...hehe... what kind of name is that? and my BMW is triply a girls car, because it is a 3-seires, and a convertible and not an M... despite it's "puny" 2.5L I6 can push it beyond 140 stock. Heh, of all the comments I've gotten on that car, nobody has yet to say it's a girls car.... I suppose on days I want to feel like a real man I should drive my large V8 Lincoln, since it is harder to part and dosen't have a removeable top :bigroll:

Really, I dunno, maybe around here people are more open to breaking out of stereotypes, because all sorts of people drive all sorts of cars... a gray haired old lady drives a Corvette, you see lots of women driving lifted diesel 1-ton pickups towing large gooseneck horse trailers etc...

I guess if you need the assurance that you really are really a man, or want to add a few inches then get a "manly" car. Anyone that "uses" their vehicle for something other then vehicle-things, such as to pick up girls, to prove they more of a man, to portray a certain image is just in denial with themselves anyway. I still don't see the meaning behind making fun of someone else' car, no matter what it is.

Of course all this is just my opinion anyway, so it really dosen't matter.

Agreed.

-Chris

thebigjimsho
01-11-09, 02:23 AM
You know what the epitome of a chick is? Style over substance. I couldn't care less if people thought I was ghey for driving a Miata, I sure as hell could have more fun actually driving and tracking one rather than a floaty, FWD, automatic slow as poop sedan.

tman2093
01-11-09, 02:24 AM
You've got the definaition of a chick car wrong then. Se my other post. Just because women like to drive a particular car, doesn't make it a chick car. If it is style over substance car, then it's a chick car. That's my definition at least.

A big part of it has to do with the dirving experience. Again FWD/automatic only cars, go to the front of the line of perspective chick cars.

-Chris

Are you trying to call the FWD northstars chick cars then? You're going to open a whole can of worms if thats what you're implying. Think of it as someone calling a CTS nothing more than a glorified catera. We all know that those thigns arent true.

I fail to see how you classify something because of whjat its capable of, rather than the role it takes. Just because I could run the pharmacy I work at, doenst mean I do. I pack pills, and thats about it, despite being able to manage the thing. Just because a car can, doenst mean it does, and you have to classify it based on those that drive them. Bear in mind, Chick car is a term of the clientele, not the car. Chick cars can be good performers.

Night Wolf
01-11-09, 02:24 AM
FWD necessitates 'chick car'.

I'd love it if they made it in RWD though.

-Chris

A chick car is style over substance. Has little to no ability to classify it as a drivers car.

The Mini Cooper, despite being FWD can out-handle just about anything else on the road alongside BMW's, Miata's, SKY/Solstice's right out of the box...

trukk
01-11-09, 02:30 AM
The Mini Cooper, despite being FWD can out-handle just about anything else on the road alongside BMW's, Miata's, SKY/Solstice's right out of the box...

FWD = Fail.

Light weight, nice power to wieght, great handling = Win.

Unfortunately in this case the Fail significantly outweighs the Win.

Tourque steer + understeer SUCKS.

-Chris

trukk
01-11-09, 02:33 AM
Are you trying to call the FWD northstars chick cars then? You're going to open a whole can of worms if thats what you're implying. Think of it as someone calling a CTS nothing more than a glorified catera. We all know that those thigns arent true.

I fail to see how you classify something because of whjat its capable of, rather than the role it takes. Just because I could run the pharmacy I work at, doenst mean I do. I pack pills, and thats about it, despite being able to manage the thing. Just because a car can, doenst mean it does, and you have to classify it based on those that drive them. Bear in mind, Chick car is a term of the clientele, not the car. Chick cars can be good performers.

Before the FWD lynchmob shows up:

I do not think all FWD cars are chick cars. Absolultely not.

I do think though that nearly all cars that should earn the 'chick car' moniker are FWD. Lets face it right now there are not a lot of RWD cars made. Most (all?) of those are 'enthusiest' based car (or have the potential to be).

-Chris

the cadillac kid
01-11-09, 02:35 AM
Customer clientele has a lot to do with classification.

Calling the miata a chick car is equivalent to calling cadillac an old man's car.
Its a stereotype, but for a long time this was the truth. Nowadays, however, you see that the demographics for both cadillac & the miatas are changing radically.

With that said, I'd take a Miata over a 4.9, any day.

trukk
01-11-09, 02:36 AM
You know what the epitome of a chick is? Style over substance. I couldn't care less if people thought I was ghey for driving a Miata, I sure as hell could have more fun actually driving and tracking one rather than a floaty, FWD, automatic slow as poop sedan.
:word:

-Chris

trukk
01-11-09, 02:37 AM
Customer clientele has a lot to do with classification.

Calling the miata a chick car is equivalent to calling cadillac an old man's car.
Its a stereotype, but for a long time this was the truth. Nowadays, however, you see that the demographics for both cadillac & the miatas are changing radically.

With that said, I'd take a Miata over a 4.9, any day.

:golf clap:

-Chris

C0RSA1R
01-11-09, 02:52 AM
Well, according to three out of three of the friends I just spoke with, and my girlfriend, the verdict is: Miata = such a chick car, it might as well come with a vag-shaped grille. Of course, two friends also pointed to the Seville as being rather girly too, and my girlfriend offered up "Catera" with no prompting (she knew it was a Caddy question). Still, a harsh 'fail' for the Miata. :stirpot:

As for Beemers and VWs, I really think that most VWs are chick cars simply because they look so friendly and inviting. I want a car that, when I get in, has a look about it that says, "Seriously? You want to drive me? Good luck, pal, you're gonna need it." BMWs, I don't know much about - names like 535i and other numbers put me to sleep faster than math class in high school. Give me an acronym or something - numbers and a slick 'i' at the end are a math problem, not a car type. :hmm:

My girl drives a Neon now - she thinks it's cute. Yeah. She used to drive a Sunfire. Also cute. I guess Cavaliers and anything Hyundai also hit the spot, as well. As for Porsches - I think it's mixed. They're fast and reckless, but not so much so as a Viper or a nice 'Vette, so from a bodystyle perspective I'd say rather chickish. The Saturn Sky is a chick car, or a car for a dude who wanted to buy a Porsche but couldn't scrape the pennies together.

As for Devilles, and Sevilles, I think they're pretty much guy cars, unless they were ordered with the Mary Kay package (WTF?). Add to that list most personal luxury cars and 2+2 coupes - Monte Carlos (acres of hood over the engine), Eldorados (severe lines), and the Buick Riv. Interesting dichotomy - early '90s Buick Century's and Olds Cutlass Ciera's were dude cars, but the Cutlass made a surprising turn when they changed the bodystyle and turned into seminal chick cars. Thank heaven they also made Cutlass Supremes - again with severe lines - to keep a segment of dude cars running.

So far, two out of three of the friends I'm chilling with agree with me 100%, and my girlfriend agrees as well (she's doubtful about the Buick Riv, but it's supercharged so I'll let that pass).

C0RSA1R
01-11-09, 02:53 AM
And from my eyes, the Deville is an old man's car. An old man with some taste, but still . . .

Although some folks say that about my ETC, and I see their point. I don't agree, but I see the angle they're coming from.

:bigroll:

the cadillac kid
01-11-09, 02:57 AM
I think this discussion has strayed far from what the main point of the thread is; What defines a chick car?

I think the answer to that question is: "Aggression."

Discuss.

Cliff8928
01-11-09, 03:04 AM
Wow, lots of debate on this here. As for the miata, I would maybe draw the line that a miata with an auto would be more qualified.

I have noticed the SC430 lexus is very much driven by older women!

trukk
01-11-09, 03:16 AM
Well, according to three out of three of the friends I just spoke with, and my girlfriend, the verdict is: Miata = such a chick car, it might as well come with a vag-shaped grille. Of course, two friends also pointed to the Seville as being rather girly too, and my girlfriend offered up "Catera" with no prompting (she knew it was a Caddy question). Still, a harsh 'fail' for the Miata. :stirpot:

As for Beemers and VWs, I really think that most VWs are chick cars simply because they look so friendly and inviting. I want a car that, when I get in, has a look about it that says, "Seriously? You want to drive me? Good luck, pal, you're gonna need it." BMWs, I don't know much about - names like 535i and other numbers put me to sleep faster than math class in high school. Give me an acronym or something - numbers and a slick 'i' at the end are a math problem, not a car type. :hmm:

My girl drives a Neon now - she thinks it's cute. Yeah. She used to drive a Sunfire. Also cute. I guess Cavaliers and anything Hyundai also hit the spot, as well. As for Porsches - I think it's mixed. They're fast and reckless, but not so much so as a Viper or a nice 'Vette, so from a bodystyle perspective I'd say rather chickish. The Saturn Sky is a chick car, or a car for a dude who wanted to buy a Porsche but couldn't scrape the pennies together.

As for Devilles, and Sevilles, I think they're pretty much guy cars, unless they were ordered with the Mary Kay package (WTF?). Add to that list most personal luxury cars and 2+2 coupes - Monte Carlos (acres of hood over the engine), Eldorados (severe lines), and the Buick Riv. Interesting dichotomy - early '90s Buick Century's and Olds Cutlass Ciera's were dude cars, but the Cutlass made a surprising turn when they changed the bodystyle and turned into seminal chick cars. Thank heaven they also made Cutlass Supremes - again with severe lines - to keep a segment of dude cars running.

So far, two out of three of the friends I'm chilling with agree with me 100%, and my girlfriend agrees as well (she's doubtful about the Buick Riv, but it's supercharged so I'll let that pass).

This is a great training opportunity. Tell your friends that the Miata is not a chick car, for the reasons stated above. We need to spread the work on the chick car defination. We can't be mad at your for your ingnorance.

-Chris

dkozloski
01-11-09, 03:23 AM
This is a great training opportunity. Tell your friends that the Miata is not a chick car, for the reasons stated above. We need to spread the work on the chick car defination. We can't be mad at your for your ingnorance.

-Chris
A Miata is a last gasp for a youthful look by a fat assed, wrinkled up, over the hill, old broad. If a man is going to drive it he'd better sideswipe a couple of power poles with it and repair it badly to make it look like it's been raced otherwise he's going to be highly suspect. All the rationalizations in the world about handling and performance aren't going to change the impressions of the general public one iota.

93DevilleUSMC
01-11-09, 04:41 AM
Just passionate bout my opinion...nothing more nothing less...I don't own a Miata, but I respect the sh!t outta those little things. They can really move around a track. Just trying to give it some love.

BTW I've got about 5k posts...I don't think post count has a thing to do with it.

Alos you will note that I didn't bash on your car. Most of love our cars here, or we wouldn't be posting on a caddy site late on a Saturday night.

Anyway time for a few more :alchi::alchi::alchi:

-Chris

You're right. Miatas are excellent track movers. Feminine ones, but nothing wrong with that.

I was just saying check through my count.

I wasn't accusing you of bashing. I was using my car as an example. Is it a granny car? You're damn right it is, and it happens to really save money on insurance every month. I plan to keep her until I'm 25, keep a clean driving record, and use that to get an insurance break on a Challenger or Charger.

What're you drinking, man?

TaVern
01-11-09, 05:24 AM
I've seen Miatas on the track... They can definitely move.

But I've never once seen a chick on the track driving one.

Aron9000
01-11-09, 05:40 AM
I also see a chick car as a smaller car that might be kind of stylish, but otherwise a complete piece of crap. I don't mean to be sexist, but some(not all) women do not have a clue on stuff like quality, engineering, type of engine, etc in a car. They buy it "because its cute"

Examples:
VW Beetle
VW Jetta
Ford Focus
Pontiac Sunfire
Chevy Cobalt 2 door or a Cavalier
Dodge Neon/Caliber
Chrysler Sebring
Chevy Equinox

AMGoff
01-11-09, 05:46 AM
It's a pretty simple definition...

A "chick" car = Any car that a man secretly pines for, yet would never drive due to any number of insecurities and an overwhelming fear of what others may think.

With regard to the Miata... I've never been able to fully understand how it's come to be seen as a "chick" car. Small roadsters, especially the likes of old Triumphs, MGs, etc... used to fall squarely within the realm of man-dom. The Miata does nothing but follow the great tradition of those cars - cheap, small, and fun to drive... So I just don't see it. Just because it's small and some girls like them, doesn't equate to being a chick's car whatsoever.

Night Wolf
01-11-09, 05:53 AM
BMWs, I don't know much about - names like 535i and other numbers put me to sleep faster than math class in high school. Give me an acronym or something - numbers and a slick 'i' at the end are a math problem, not a car type. :hmm:

It all makes sense though.... in the case of the 535i, it is a 5-series car, the higher the series, the more upscale the car, 35 is the engine displacement at 3.5L and "i" means fuel injection.... maybe not needed now, but back in the 70's and early 80's when fuel injection was new and an option, when it was first used, was a way to show what the car had. Back in the 80's "is" were handling packages, "x" like "ix" or now "xi" means all wheel drive, "L" again either before or after the "i" means long wheelbase. The older BMW's would use "iC" for convertible, but then I seen some newer 2-doors with "Ci" maybe C is Coupe? On the data plate of my car is 325i Convertible, some guys say 325iC for short. "d" means diesel, such as the new 3-series. "e" which was used back in the 80's a short time means economy, the cars were made for max fuel mileage. Tho they were still fuel injected, in the case of the E30 325e, it was actually a 2.7L and produced much less HP, but more torque at a lower RPM, as well as a much lower redline, also had higher geared axles, you could get the "s" package on them too. They were made for more low end torque around town driving while the i's of the same type were higher revving higher HP type.

Tho the new ones are getting odd, such as the new 1-series. the 128i has a 3.0L I6, the 135i also has a 3.0L I6, except it is twin-turbo.

It seems like many are going that route, MB with the class-displacement with extra 0, same with Lexus, LS400 is LS series 4.0L etc...

I used to not like it, but, as with many other things, I've given it a try and don't mind it. It's something that, atleast in the case of BMW, has been doing for many years. I agree though, I do prefer actual names.. what personally bothers me more is what Cadillac did by going to alphabet soup things like XLR-V.... I mean, when you say it, it fumbles out "excelarrghhhveee" the others are not any better, it's sad the only thing that still has a name is Escalade. I would say they are the worst, but that has been overthrown by Lincoln with this whole MK thing.... MKZ, MKS, MK what? it is fustrating actually, especially because both Cadillac and Lincoln had some really nice nameplates going for them... but I understand wanting to break off from your past and start something new.

Night Wolf
01-11-09, 06:06 AM
It's a pretty simple definition...

A "chick" car = Any car that a man secretly pines for, yet would never drive due to any number of insecurities and an overwhelming fear of what others may think.

With regard to the Miata... I've never been able to fully understand how it's come to be seen as a "chick" car. Small roadsters, especially the likes of old Triumphs, MGs, etc... used to fall squarely within the realm of man-dom. The Miata does nothing but follow the great tradition of those cars - cheap, small, and fun to drive... So I just don't see it. Just because it's small and some girls like them, doesn't equate to being a chick's car whatsoever.

Yey, there are still some on the site that think realistically.

Night Wolf
01-11-09, 06:14 AM
I also see a chick car as a smaller car that might be kind of stylish, but otherwise a complete piece of crap. I don't mean to be sexist, but some(not all) women do not have a clue on stuff like quality, engineering, type of engine, etc in a car. They buy it "because its cute"

Examples:
VW Beetle
VW Jetta
Ford Focus
Pontiac Sunfire
Dodge Neon/Caliber
Chrysler Sebring
Chevy Equinox

Yeah, and how is that any different then a guy that has no clue on stuff like quality, engineering or type of engine and buys a truck "because it looks tough" ?

I really don't get it, I know just as many guys as girls that drive the cars on your list. Heck if Chrysler offered the Sebring convertible with a manual transmission, regardless of which engine, I'd probably have one as a daily driver. It's a nice car that is visually appealing to me.

It is further made more funny when some say the engine changes the fact if a car is a girls or guys car... like... V6 Mustang/F-body is girls car, but Cobra/Trans Am is guys car, same with Neon/SRT-4, or 3-seires/M3, MB AMG etc...

People really buy certain cars to do certain non-vehicle related things - look tuff in front of other guys, pick up girls, create a fake status symbol etc... maybe one day they'll wake up and have to deal with the fact that sometime their car may not be there and they are left with the same person they have always been.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-09, 11:17 AM
Wow....33 posts in 9 hours....Guess a lot of people like to talk status.

tman2093
01-11-09, 11:45 AM
Here we go guys, I've solved the debate, a Chick Car is....

*drumroll*

Anything Jesda drives!

RightTurn
01-11-09, 11:51 AM
I don't know if any actual chicks have posted; this thread looks too boring to actually read. I'll just say that I drive an '07 CTS, so you do the math. :coffee:

Rodya234
01-11-09, 12:04 PM
Wow....33 posts in 9 hours....Guess a lot of people like to talk status.

This is a Cadillac forum, what do you expect? :thepan:
I wouldn't be surprised if we had a thread about what it takes to be a gentleman soon. :bigroll:

Back on topic, it's not only the kind of car that defines a chick car, I know guys who drive cobalts and call them "sexy cars", but I wouldn't count them as "chick" cars. I've always seen chick cars as cars that a large amount girls want. Like after the song "Independent" by Lil Boosie came out, every girl I know wanted a white Range Rover. At that point, I would have classified it as a chick car.

tl ; dr: a chick car is a car that a large percentage of girls want. Nothing more, nothing less.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-09, 12:10 PM
tl ; dr: a chick car is a car that a large percentage of girls want. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yea I guess that pretty much sums it up in the best way possible.

MauiV
01-11-09, 01:04 PM

Im pretty sure if the car comes with fake flowers in the cupholder the drivers seat was designed with a vagina in mind.

orconn
01-11-09, 01:15 PM
This is a Cadillac forum, what do you expect? :thepan:
I wouldn't be surprised if we had a thread about what it takes to be a gentleman soon. :bigroll:

Back on topic, it's not only the kind of car that defines a chick car, I know guys who drive cobalts and call them "sexy cars", but I wouldn't count them as "chick" cars. I've always seen chick cars as cars that a large amount girls want. Like after the song "Independent" by Lil Boosie came out, every girl I know wanted a white Range Rover. At that point, I would have classified it as a chick car.

tl ; dr: a chick car is a car that a large percentage of girls want. Nothing
more, nothing less.

So now we know, a "chick" car is any car that a lot of females want and can afford ....... so clearly a Miata is a "chick" car as well as a Corvette, a Mustang of any variety, a Hummer and a Jeep Wrangler (there was a time when half the girls in Hollwood drove them), a Bentley Continental and a Neon. And ofcourse the '98-04 Seville ("chick" car) vs the '92-'97 ("man" car), Ha! Ha! Perhaps our vue of a "chick" car is radically squewed by what a young woman can afford and what's available within that price range! Mature women, both in experience and financially, seem to favor the same cars as guys in the same situation.

LS1Mike
01-11-09, 01:21 PM

Examples:
VW Beetle
VW Jetta
Ford Focus
Pontiac Sunfire
Dodge Neon/Caliber
Chrysler Sebring
Chevy Equinox

Yes, my wife wanted that more than anything. Ours, even though it is quiet and does it's assigned task very well it is just not my thing. I feel like a big goober driving it.
As should any dude driving a Jetta or any other VW sold in the states feel, which the wife had when we first got married. I always felt wrong driving the Jetta.

ryannel2003
01-11-09, 01:22 PM
I'm not going to argue with a bunch of talk, but here is my list:

Sunfire/Cavalier
Neon
Miata
Beetle, Jetta, Passat
Camry and Corolla
Civic and Accord
Focus
Sebring
GMC Acadia and Buick Enclave

From what I observe in my town, that is what chicks usually drive around here. I don't know how a Wrangler on the list. Stock maybe, but one of my best friends has one with a lift, large tires, and a big grille guard. Not so much a chick car. Quite a few older women drive '98-'04 Seville's (mainly SLS) but that doesn't mean it's a chick car. I'm sure they can afford it, as most younger can't. CTS and SRX is also driven by alot of women, but who cares? I'd have either in my driveway for sure.

Rodya234
01-11-09, 01:36 PM
Perhaps we're thinking from the wrong perspective. Perhaps there is no such thing as a "chick car" but only "guys cars". I know plenty of guys who drive V6 cars who get branded as driving a "girl's car". I see guys argue about who has the "better" car all the time, while such an occurrence is less in girls.

Perhaps that "girls car" is just a term for average reasonable cars, while guys desire cars that capture the look and sound of a powerful car, that show off how masculine they are.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-11-09, 02:44 PM
Oh, we all forgot one, the Fiero. Nowadays it is mostly a hick rocket or belongs to some loser stuck back in 1986, but when they first came out they were chick cars.

I think the reason the Miata has been labeled a chick car is strictly looks. You can fit an ls1 in there, so props to it. It is also RWD and available with a manual trans. But when the headlights come up at night it looks like it has round little bug eyes and belongs parked in front of the Hello Kitty factory.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2418/2492371988_84fa9efb26.jpg?v=0

LS1Mike
01-11-09, 02:47 PM
You can fit a big motor in a Miata, but it dosen't come with one. So Boo. :( Still it does well chasing cones in a parking lot. On a real road course it does well in it's own class too, "girl car" or not.

gary88
01-11-09, 03:34 PM
Chick car or not, this is badass

YouTube - Nathan's LS1 Miata Highway Runs and Donut

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-09, 04:22 PM
I'm not gonna lie, that is pretty sweet. Still though, if I wanted an LS1 powered convertible, I'd go get a Trans Am or Z28.

"IF" the Miata is a chick car, does that make the S2000 and MR2 chick cars also?

gary88
01-11-09, 04:39 PM
"IF" the Miata is a chick car, does that make the S2000 and MR2 chick cars also?

S2000 - no
MR2 - no
MRS - I'd say so

orconn
01-11-09, 05:03 PM
S2000 - no
MR2 - no
MRS - I'd say so

I think a little consistency is in order! The only thing I see that would disqualify those cars as "chick" cars is that most ladies don't know about them. On the other hand, "consistency is the hob goblin of small minds" so said a great philosopher.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-09, 05:07 PM
S2000 - no
MR2 - no
MRS - I'd say so

What's the difference between the MR2 and MRS?

What do you guys say about the Mitsubishi Eclipse?

gary88
01-11-09, 05:18 PM
What's the difference between the MR2 and MRS?

What do you guys say about the Mitsubishi Eclipse?

MR2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/18toyotaM_m.jpg

MRS
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/450px-ToyotaMR2Spyder1.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-09, 05:24 PM
I like the MR2 more.

Rolex
01-11-09, 05:42 PM

YouTube - Nathan's LS1 Miata Highway Runs and Donut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1uxRrkMZbs)

:yeah:

That's pretty awesome.

MauiV
01-11-09, 09:59 PM
You can shove a 572 Mountain Motor into a Vega, doesnt make it a cool car.

There is a local guy here with a H/C/I LS6 making 425rwhp shoved into a Miata and he is a total douche that only takes it to car shows and show and shines, just like a chick would.

Caddy Man
01-11-09, 10:12 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned or not, but definitely the Toyota Solara, in coupe or convertible, especially the later model. I have NEVER seen a guy drive that car.

LS1Mike
01-11-09, 10:34 PM

Sorry Maui a Jetta with a 572 is cool, shit anything with a 572 is cool!

Destroyer
01-12-09, 12:17 AM
Almost everything VW badges is a chick car.

Or Homo. I know quite a few gays that drive VW cars and as weird as it may sound, Dodge conversion vans. I would hate to know what goes on in the vans.................

Destroyer
01-12-09, 12:23 AM

-Chris
I briefly owned a '97 Miata (6 months?). The handling was the best I have ever experienced. I've owned Porsche's, Vette's, Fbody cars of all gen's, and Mustangs of all gen's and I have NEVER had a car that could take turns like the Miata. Simply unreal. I would not hesitate to take a sharp turn doing 80 mph in that car. It wasn't very fast but that handling was to die for.;)

Destroyer
01-12-09, 12:28 AM
So I suppose 2 of the 3 vehicles I own are girls cars... Well it's pretty normal to see older "chics' drive '96 Town Cars around here, so we could go 3 for 3 on this one, lol. Please, please (did I stress please?), if you start wearing dresses and make-up, please don't post the pics. :D

Destroyer
01-12-09, 12:33 AM
Are you trying to call the FWD northstars chick cars then? You're going to open a whole can of worms if thats what you're implying. Depends..................................the choice of most original owners..........:sneaky: Original owner of the FWD N* car were old men, when they die the wife's get the gems or they sell it to someone that thinks they are the shiznit cause they are driving a Caddy till they realize what junk they are.:lildevil:

the cadillac kid
01-12-09, 12:44 AM
fine, i give up.

here are two more for your list:

lexus RX---
toyota rav4

dkozloski
01-12-09, 01:03 AM
Subaru anything.

Cliff8928
01-12-09, 02:53 AM

YouTube - Nathan's LS1 Miata Highway Runs and Donut (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1uxRrkMZbs)

I dunno, I think I might rather cruise in a family wagon...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f86bsY1Iv9I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f86bsY1Iv9I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-12-09, 04:18 AM
Whoever said the S2000 is not a chick car, shame on you. Its nickname is the Bitch2000.

Desotroyer, not everything made by VW is chick cars or *** mobiles. I would take a Toureg TDI with the V10 Diesel anyday.

93DevilleUSMC
01-12-09, 04:31 AM
Subaru anything.

Except the Outback and Forrester: best two vehicles in their class and size that you can have off-road.

93DevilleUSMC
01-12-09, 04:32 AM
Wow, I'm offline for one day and I miss three pages of this thread.

MauiV
01-12-09, 08:09 AM
A chick in a Subaru is probably going to smell like patchouli though.

Its more hippie car than chick car. The modern VW bus.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-12-09, 09:18 AM
Subaru anything.

WRX/STi is pretty badass. But for a while weren't Subarus known as the ultimate lesbian's cars?

Desotroyer, not everything made by VW is chick cars or *** mobiles. I would take a Toureg TDI with the V10 Diesel anyday.

Phaeton Phaeton Phaeton!!

That's one VW that definitely is not a chick car. And neither is the GTi/ GLi..those are pretty badass little pocket rockets.

ryannel2003
01-12-09, 10:39 AM
Not sure if it has been mentioned or not, but definitely the Toyota Solara, in coupe or convertible, especially the later model. I have NEVER seen a guy drive that car.

A good friend of mines dad actually has a '00 Solara SLE V6 in this really nice blue color. It's kinda feminine, but its still a nice car. My old '00 Camry is a chick car. All of my girlfriends talked about how nice and clean it was. Luckily nobody has said anything about my Seville, except it being a "grandma" car. Of course, until I floor it. :D

Coma
01-12-09, 11:03 AM
A chick car: Anything with a convertible top or sun/moon roof. Sorry.

The Tony Show
01-12-09, 11:20 AM
The answer to the question "What is a 'chick' car" is simple: Any car driven by a 'chick'.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-12-09, 03:02 PM
Phaeton Phaeton Phaeton!!

That's one VW that definitely is not a chick car. And neither is the GTi/ GLi..those are pretty badass little pocket rockets.

I am not very fond of the Phaeton. There is one guy I always see at the McD's by my work and I always make fun of him for owning one, mainly because he is a total Dbag and is total Euro trash. I told him that when I drop $100K on a car people actually know how much it cost and it isn't made by the same company that makes the Beetle.

Destroyer
01-12-09, 08:46 PM

Yeah, it kinda does!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-12-09, 09:42 PM
I told him that when I drop $100K on a car people actually know how much it cost and it isn't made by the same company that makes the Beetle.

No offense or anything, but that makes you the opposite of the people that VW was chasing with the Phaeton. They wanted people to buy it that didn't flaunt their money..the people that wanted something subtler and more "below the radar". People that would look beyond the badge to judge a car. But then again, there's people like us driving cars with a respected badge with a lot of pedigree and history behind it.

Oh well....

Rodya234
01-12-09, 09:45 PM
People really buy certain cars to do certain non-vehicle related things - look tuff in front of other guys, pick up girls, create a fake status symbol etc... maybe one day they'll wake up and have to deal with the fact that sometime their car may not be there and they are left with the same person they have always been.

If my car does all three, and it's been around longer then me, do I win a prize? :p

Night Wolf
01-12-09, 10:34 PM
Well it's pretty normal to see older "chics' drive '96 Town Cars around here, so we could go 3 for 3 on this one, lol. Please, please (did I stress please?), if you start wearing dresses and make-up, please don't post the pics. :D

Your right..... 3 for 3, thats pretty bad...

I suppose I should talk to the right people on base to see when the next gov't auction is so I can pick up one of these.... no more mistaking for a chick car again!

http://www.buschandbusch.com/deuce139.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-12-09, 10:44 PM
I think it's kinda sexy to see women driving really masculine cars or trucks.

LS1Mike
01-12-09, 11:11 PM
Your right..... 3 for 3, thats pretty bad...

I suppose I should talk to the right people on base to see when the next gov't auction is so I can pick up one of these.... no more mistaking for a chick car again!

http://www.buschandbusch.com/deuce139.jpg

YEAH! :thumbsup:

Aron9000
01-12-09, 11:50 PM
A chick car: Anything with a convertible top or sun/moon roof. Sorry.

NO!! My Brougham has a sun roof, and every chick I know is really intimidated by the size of the car to actually drive it.

Night Wolf
01-13-09, 12:10 AM
NO!! My Brougham has a sun roof, and every chick I know is really intimidated by the size of the car to actually drive it.

Heh, my mom had the '89 Brougham for 9yrs... I learned to drive in that car and took my road test in it too.... wait.... that car has a moonroof....

Ok, so full-size, RWD Caddy's are now chick cars too!

Heck, why don't we just cover all bases and say all cars are chick cars? or alteast keep some consistency across the board for the sake of agreeing on something and say any car we personally do not like is a chick car?

gary88
01-13-09, 12:28 AM
http://www.askmen.com/top_10/cars_150/183_car_list.html

Tug Boat
01-13-09, 02:02 AM
I've been :peeking: in this thread for several days and it's time to speak my opinion, for what it is worth. I can think of only one true "chick" car, if by name only........................

The 1999 Mercury Cougar, :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:(with due respect to the Cougar ancestry, earlier Cougars are not "Chick" cars).

trukk
01-13-09, 02:55 PM
Subaru anything.

Moronic comment. Perhaps in your alzheimer's induced reality that was true. Newer Subbies are not such.

http://www.askmen.com/top_10/cars_150/183_car_list.html

Nice pull Gary. I like thier info about mini-vans and the miata:

But what about modern chick cars? Here we present some of the biggest modern she-rides. Ripping on the Caravan -- and all minivans (http://www.askmen.com/cars/car_lists_150/164_car_list.html), for that matter -- was just too obvious. That’s why we won’t mention them any further in this feature. Same goes for the Mazda MX-5 (born Miata), which, for the record, has always had one of the best sports car values in existence -- especially on winding roads and tracks.

So no, we’re not basing this on sales figures split by gender; it’s based on real-world observations and vibes generated by current and recent models. We limited ourselves to just one model from any given automaker (which is why you won’t find the VW Beetle and Toyota Corolla here, though they were definitely worthy contenders).

I agree with pretty much all those, except the Suburban (although my wife does drive a Yukon XL), and the original Dodge Neon (That violates my rule of any car with a SPEC racign series is exempt. The Gen I Neon, had an ACR version that was driven in the SPEC Neon series. SRT-4 also throws is a bit of cred, albeit FWD.)

I would put the Beetle and the EOS both on the list though.

-Chris

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-13-09, 05:30 PM
The Beetle is probably the most feminine car ever.

Now here's a question for you. In the mainstream audience, the Miata will always have the chick vibe, no matter how much we drum into their brains it's a great little sports car. If it had a more "hard edged" exterior design and perhaps a more masculine name (suppose they stuck with MX-5?), would it still be regarded as so feminine? Or is it because it's a small sports convertible that it'll always be regarded as a chick car in today's society?

Take for example the Solstice/Sky, or perhaps the Lotus Elise.... they're all small sports cars but the mainstream audience doesn't view them as feminine as the Miata... I wonder why? In the Elise's case, is it because it's from a manufacturer with a storied racing history? Is it because it's mid engined?

Something to think about.....

orconn
01-13-09, 08:59 PM
The Beetle is probably the most feminine car ever.

Now here's a question for you. In the mainstream audience, the Miata will always have the chick vibe, no matter how much we drum into their brains it's a great little sports car. If it had a more "hard edged" exterior design and perhaps a more masculine name (suppose they stuck with MX-5?), would it still be regarded as so feminine? Or is it because it's a small sports convertible that it'll always be regarded as a chick car in today's society?

Take for example the Solstice/Sky, or perhaps the Lotus Elise.... they're all small sports cars but the mainstream audience doesn't view them as feminine as the Miata... I wonder why? In the Elise's case, is it because it's from a manufacturer with a storied racing history? Is it because it's mid engined?

Something to think about.....

Just to set the record straight, as I know this bit of info comes from the catacombs of ancient automotive history, it may be news to some ...... the Miata was inspired by the famous Lotus Elan of the 1960's a car that was also small, extremely agile, very adept on a race course and the twisties (one clean my clock on the Angeles Crest Highway (R&T's famed roadtest site) despite its' small displacement (I was driving a XK 150S at the time), the Elan was also coveted by every car knowledgeable gal I knew at the time, it also was raced extensively in SCCA classes and usually won against most competitors. So I would say there is a precedent for a dual purpose, racer "chick" car.

orconn
01-13-09, 09:06 PM
My candidate for the most feminine car of all time would have to go to the 1955-62 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL. One of the most beautifully proprotioned, gutless wonders of all time. As beautiful as it was it had a sowing mahine motor for an engine ...... I'm not sure it was even more powere than an MG TD (another slug). But the ladies sure looked elegant pulling up to the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in one. The later 280 SL roadster was a little quicker but was not nearly as beautiful as the older 190 SL.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-13-09, 10:37 PM
Oh, so in other words, it's the fifties version of the SLK230 Kompressor. LOL.

Night Wolf
01-13-09, 10:39 PM
Maybe it's just me.... but I don't find the MX-5 Miata "feminine" looking....

http://www.autotropolis.com/wiki/extensions/Picasa/gallery/2008_Mazda_MX-5/images/img_3681.jpg

It's funny just how far public perception really goes.

MauiV
01-13-09, 10:43 PM
. gay

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-13-09, 10:49 PM
Maybe it's just me.... but I don't find the MX-5 Miata "feminine" looking....

http://www.autotropolis.com/wiki/extensions/Picasa/gallery/2008_Mazda_MX-5/images/img_3681.jpg

It's funny just how far public perception really goes.

Well that's the current generation, which is a LOT more masculine than the first generations. Actually it's a pretty nice and aggressive looking car overall.

That's a '91
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/1991/Mazda/3059/1991.mazda.mx5miata.6871-E.jpg

Here's a '99
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/1999/Mazda/12060/1999.mazda.mx5miata.6921-E.jpg

Nutz
01-13-09, 10:52 PM
:yawn:

Night Wolf
01-13-09, 10:58 PM
Well that's the current generation, which is a LOT more masculine than the first generations. Actually it's a pretty nice and aggressive looking car overall.

That's a '91
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/1991/Mazda/3059/1991.mazda.mx5miata.6871-E.jpg

Here's a '99
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/1999/Mazda/12060/1999.mazda.mx5miata.6921-E.jpg

Yes, I understand, but the question you posed was in current tense form:

Sicne we cannot go back and change the design of the gen 1 Miata, all we can do is use the current incarnation of the car. In that case it looks like you just answered your own question.

Personally, I think I'll always be partial to the 1st gen. I like the styling better as well as the pop up headlights. It's got more of the european sports car flair it was deisgned after, not too mention a bullet proof drivetrain. It was the car that was in a close battle with the E30 to scratch my "fun to drive sporty convertible" itch.

Really, if you just clear your mind a second and look at those older Miatas again, without all the public perception static, most would say it is a sporty looking small car. Alot of people that aren't into cars, nor keep up with what car is supposed to represent what will say that. When my mom was asking me why I got a BMW and I went thru the whole story about it, she didn't know what a Miata was, I showed her one (a first gen) and she said something along those lines, and not asking if I am coming out of the closet... actually she asked "is it safe? just like she asks about every other car. "g a y" or "f a g" dosen't come from the car, only people with closed minds that like to make fun of it... it's no different at all then anyone saying Cadillacs, even a CTS-V are "old mans cars" or that I must be an arrogant dick because I drive a BMW. I guess it all depends if you want to mature beyond what others may see a car as or if you want to be held back and play silly games.

MauiV
01-13-09, 11:02 PM

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/pikachu_car.jpg

Same Same

Night Wolf
01-13-09, 11:11 PM
If that really makes you feel like more of a man, then kudos to you.

I am going to sleep now, I gotta get up for work in the early morning.

MauiV
01-13-09, 11:31 PM
Hey dont blame me, I didnt design the car.

I also didnt give all those sorority girls a convertible 3 series.

orconn
01-13-09, 11:32 PM
Oh, so in other words, it's the fifties version of the SLK230 Kompressor. LOL.

You're right! Except the girls demand a lot more in the way of power today! But yes you hit it on the head, Mercedes has always seemed to have a "boulevardier" in their line up for the ladies and the "poseurs" just as they have always had smaller displacement versions of their diffferent model levels for those who wanted the look without the cost of real performance or were constrained by displacement taxation.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-09, 12:30 AM
just as they have always had smaller displacement versions of their diffferent model levels for those who wanted the look without the cost of real performance or were constrained by displacement taxation.

Me and my little 320. :(

I wish I had the 600, but it would break me.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-14-09, 02:03 AM
No offense or anything, but that makes you the opposite of the people that VW was chasing with the Phaeton. They wanted people to buy it that didn't flaunt their money..the people that wanted something subtler and more "below the radar". People that would look beyond the badge to judge a car. But then again, there's people like us driving cars with a respected badge with a lot of pedigree and history behind it.

Oh well....

Eh. I guess I think that because I have no money to flaunt and get pissed when people have nicer cars than me. Makes me depressed that my '95 bit the dust.

Night Wolf
01-14-09, 10:36 AM
You actually get pissed when people have "nicer" cars then you? Is having money to flaunt really that big of a deal?

Rodya234
01-14-09, 11:30 AM
You actually get pissed when people have "nicer" cars then you? Is having money to flaunt really that big of a deal?

I get a little jealous too when a nice Audi pulls up besides me at a red light, but once that light turns green the same rule always applies: 4.9>1.8 :cool2:

orconn
01-14-09, 01:14 PM
I get a little jealous too when a nice Audi pulls up besides me at a red light, but once that light turns green the same rule always applies: 4.9>1.8 :cool2:

Hence forth, envy Audi owners no more! They are either owners in warranty and tired of taking the car for repair, or out of warranty and cursing the rediculous cost of repair. Ever wondered why there are very few repeat owners? Beautiful designs executed with unreliable components. Well that's my experience and about six of my acquaitances starting 20 years ago all the way to the present. Buy an Audi drive whatever the rental agency has available that day!

Cliff8928
01-14-09, 02:24 PM
Me and my little 320. :(

I wish I had the 600, but it would break me.

But your M104 will probably last longer than the other choices aside from the OM606.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-14-09, 04:35 PM

Eh. I don't want money to flaunt. I just really want a nice, hell decent even works, car. Right now I drive 2 piles of crap that aren't worth $2K combined. I love the caddy but it is nowhere near the condition I wish it was in. I don't want it to be factory new but at least problem free with everything working would be nice. The Rodeo I got for the point of a winter beater so that doesn't matter much. However, I HAD my dream car for about 2 months and it got taken away from me when I got t-boned. Damn I miss that car.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/Saber2580/My%20Cars/100_1384.jpg

Night Wolf
01-14-09, 05:01 PM
Maybe it's just me and my mindset... I don't get the leastbit jealous or envious of anyone driving anything. If I pull up to the light in my Isuzu I paid $1,800 for and see a new $80k Audi, I don't think to myself "wow, they really made it in life" Not that I see "making it" as having new or expensive anything, anyway. But the way car leases as well as mega-year loans are today, just about anyone can drive anything... I mean it's all about the monthly payment, right?

In fact, personally anytime I see a new high-end whatever, the first thing that comes to mind is, man, it's too bad they got in that much debt on something that is going to loose value faster then they can pay it off. Sure, maybe a few (a very, very small percentage) of people that buy a high end car (much less ANY new car) can actually comfortably pay it off in cash, that is something that I may put value on.... but just the fact that Joe Blow rolls up in the latest top line Benz? No thanks, dosen't mean a darn to me.

It all goes back to the image thing. Which is why I call it a false image. Like when I stopped at the BMW dealer after work to get parts for my BMW, because I was dressed like a mechanic and showed up in an old Isuzu SUV, I was pretty much ignored. Nevermind the fact that I probably make more then most the people working in the dealer and probably the same, or more then some of the shoppers.... but it's all about the image. I wasn't expecting anything different, so I was not disapointed, I just laugh to myself about the situation.

I personally respect people that live within their means, and if that means that they drive a beat up 1988 Camry, then so be it, at the end of they day, it's actually their own... the same can't be said for someone that makes the same amount of money but goes and leases a brand new car that they otherwise couldn't afford just for the sake of being seen in a new car.

You can still have a "nice" car without spending alot of money. I spent $2,500 for my BMW and $3,500 for my Lincoln. Both cars receive compliments. I take care of my stuff, people have also said "it's only a $xxxx car, why do you care?) Because to me, it is worth more then what kelly blue book may say it's worth, thats why.

Ah well, I think I took a detour....thinking out loud, thats all :)

Coma
01-14-09, 05:14 PM
I enjoyed the read, Night Wolf.

Rodya234
01-14-09, 05:51 PM
car. Right now I drive 2 piles of crap that aren't worth $2K combined.

Don't worry about blue book value, my '91 cost $36,000 (for comparison, my dad only paid 50k for our house.) and would only be worth about 3.5k to someone else now, even though other then undercarriage rust, its in mint condition.

People might see our cars as "A blast from the past." But with a little bit of care and some work, "blast" becomes an understatement.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-09, 07:43 PM

Yeah, but what if that Audi has the 4.2, or the 2.7 biTurbo, or the 3.2l V6? Then he'll be waving you goodbye once he realizes what's going on.

I raced a '98 A4 1.8T 5 speed a few years ago from a 40mph roll. It was close, but he never passed me.

Hence forth, envy Audi owners no more! They are either owners in warranty and tired of taking the car for repair, or out of warranty and cursing the rediculous cost of repair. Ever wondered why there are very few repeat owners? Beautiful designs executed with unreliable components. Well that's my experience and about six of my acquaitances starting 20 years ago all the way to the present. Buy an Audi drive whatever the rental agency has available that day!

When it's really snowy or icy out, I kinda wish I bought the A8L, but then I think of all the electrical problems Audis and VWs are known for, then I'm happy with what I've got again.

But your M104 will probably last longer than the other choices aside from the OM606.

Yeah, what's the OM606? Is it a diesel?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-14-09, 08:07 PM
Night Wolf, I know what you mean. I just think my luck has been in a slum for too long. I only paid $4k for my '95 so I know I can find beautiful cars for low buck but that car got snatched away from me after only 2 months. I spent 9 months saving every penny for the one chance to splurge on myself and it lasted only 2 months. I only got $3400 from insurance but I used it to pay my dad back for the money he loaned me to get the trans rebuilt in my Fleetwood. I was going to sell the Fleetwood and use that to pay him back but after the DeVille got totaled I wound up needing it.

A few months ago there was a beautiful '92 DeVille (royal blue with beige top and beige leather) in the area for sale with only 36K miles for about $2500. I would have bought it in a heartbeat but I was broke because the water pump went out for the second time on my Fleetwood. On top of that I have college to pay for and books as well. I also refuse to finance a decent car because I have no idea where I will be financially in a year. God forbid I get laid off how will I afford my car? Nobody in my family has ever financed a car. We all save up and pay with a check. Its just the way we think. Anyway, I would just like to have something nice that I can go out to everyday and appreciate instead of going outside every day and hoping it starts and not have to smack the dashboard to get the blower fan to stop rattling.

Rodya234
01-14-09, 08:24 PM
Yeah, but what if that Audi has the 4.2, or the 2.7 biTurbo, or the 3.2l V6? Then he'll be waving you goodbye once he realizes what's going on.

The daily driver would get :bighead:, but if it was one of the super-rare occasions when I had phantom, it would stick with any thing up to (not including) a 4.2 S4.

But yeah, the A4 4.2 is pretty quick, 0-60 of 4.7 :getaway:
Now that I think of it though, the Audi wagons would fit into the whole "chick car" group. Maybe it's just an opinion, but I imagine them being the luxury soccer-mom mobile.

orconn
01-14-09, 09:14 PM
I think if the well-to-do soccer mom was inclined to an Audi she'd get a Mercedes instead, i.e. more prestige at the hairdresser and equestrien center, not to mention the soccer field. I am afraid Audis are the choice of guys who read Road & Track and have never had an Audi before.

Night Wolf
01-14-09, 11:05 PM
Night Wolf, I know what you mean. I just think my luck has been in a slum for too long. I only paid $4k for my '95 so I know I can find beautiful cars for low buck but that car got snatched away from me after only 2 months. I spent 9 months saving every penny for the one chance to splurge on myself and it lasted only 2 months. I only got $3400 from insurance but I used it to pay my dad back for the money he loaned me to get the trans rebuilt in my Fleetwood. I was going to sell the Fleetwood and use that to pay him back but after the DeVille got totaled I wound up needing it.

I understand how you feel, I was in a similar situation.

My first car, the '93 Coupe DeVille. I paid $4,500 for that car and bonded with it for 3yrs/40k miles. I was *not* going to get rid of that car on my own will, it was just always going to be around, even latter on in life as the clearcoat was fading and other issues came up, it was going to stay. I wanted to be 30, 40, 50 and beyond and be able to walk in the garage and say this was my first car, as such, value didn't mean a thing, nor any and all work she would need. While living in Florida, I went back to NY for a week in the Summer and drove my Oldsmobile down. It was to my surprise that my Coupe was no longer at my apartment where it was parked when I got back. It was stolen, total loss. besides the car meaning alot to me, as well as costing money, I had put alot of money in repairs and mods over the years, including a stealth sound system that I built up, and finally got sounding right after 3yrs. There was even non-car stuff in the car as well as my school backpack. It was all stolen. I did not have theft coverage, so the entire car and all it's contents was a total loss, I didn't get a penny for it. That was tough because just several months before that, my '79 DeVille was wrecked, and in a similar case, I did not get a penny for that car. You got $3,400 for a used car you paid $4,000 for, I'd say you did alright.

A few months ago there was a beautiful '92 DeVille (royal blue with beige top and beige leather) in the area for sale with only 36K miles for about $2500. I would have bought it in a heartbeat but I was broke because the water pump went out for the second time on my Fleetwood. On top of that I have college to pay for and books as well. I also refuse to finance a decent car because I have no idea where I will be financially in a year. God forbid I get laid off how will I afford my car? Nobody in my family has ever financed a car. We all save up and pay with a check. Its just the way we think. Anyway, I would just like to have something nice that I can go out to everyday and appreciate instead of going outside every day and hoping it starts and not have to smack the dashboard to get the blower fan to stop rattling.

I understand what you are saying, and I value the fact that you do not want to finance a car. At the same time, I wouldn't be envious because someone else may have a "better" car. You say you have two pieces of crap cars.... at the same time you are 18 and have a Cadillac and a 4x4 SUV, there are quite a bit of people that have only 1 car of lesser substance as their one and only means of transportation.

Especially when going thru college, there are more important things to worry about then a flashy car... plus, personally, I'd rather have a beater going thru college then something fancy. All the stories about drunk people in parking lots and pranks etc... Save up your money, make your cars last you thru college and treat yourself to something nice once you graduate (the Lincoln was my graduation gift to myself, I sold the Olds and got the Isuzu, it was my only vehicle for about 7 months). What you said about getting laid off is very smart, and honestly that is something that alot of people don't think about. They automatically assume that they will 1) always be getting a paycheck and 2) that paycheck will only increase over time.... both of which are not always true statements.

Do you know how to work on your own car? If not, older cars are great to learn on, especially your Rodeo with the GM 3.1. I ask this because reguardless of age/condition of vehicle, you can make it very reliable. Every single one of my cars, including my Oldsmobile which was rusting out from itself would start everytime and I'd trust them to get me either across town or across country... I kept them maintained in that condition. You mention about having to smack the dash to get the blower to stop rattling... just about all my cars have had quirks like that, and I would just start fixing the small things and not stop until it was done. Honestly if someone that did not know how to work on cars were to have bought my very Town Car, or BMW, they would probably write each off as a "never, ever again" as both have had, and still have many little quirks, and I didn't know about them all at the time of purchase. For me it is not a big deal, not alot of money since I fix it myself and it gives me something to do, and I enjoy seeing something getting fixed up along the way. If something is broke, or bothering me, I fix it, thats as simple as it is. With these older cars, you can go to the junkyard and get just about anything you need, especially in the case of American cars.... 80's/early 90's imports are harder to get in the junkyard.

I'm only saying that because you can make the cars you have now very reliable on your own. As for appreciating them, there is nothing that says you can't appreciate a beat up car, it all's about what it means to you, not anyone else. I still value and apperciate my '94 Isuzu Amigo despite what anyone else may think of it and since having "cooler" "faster" "better" cars or even a house. I still enjoy opening the hood and working on it, washing it, driving it etc.... others may think I am crazy, oh well, not my problem. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Honestly, sometimes it's nice to have a vehicle that either 1) blends in or 2) nobody cares about. I can park the Isuzu anywhere and not have to worry about someone seeking out a car to mess with, I don't constantly worry about the specific spot I park in a parking lot to avoid door dings (tho I am still cautious) I can think of many more examples too, but there is a sense of freedom when you are not always worried about your car everytime you go somwhere. I experienced that in the past with my Oldsmobile and now with the 'Zu.

Not trying to tell you what to do or anything, nor act like I am so much older and full of wisdom (I'm not on either case) but just sharing my advice and views as I understand where you are coming from.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-09, 11:06 PM
The daily driver would get :bighead:, but if it was one of the super-rare occasions when I had phantom, it would stick with any thing up to (not including) a 4.2 S4.

What's this phantom you speak of? The Rolls Royce or the '79 deVille?

Rodya234
01-14-09, 11:21 PM
What's this phantom you speak of? The Rolls Royce or the '79 deVille?

That's just my pet name for my modded '91 Deville :D

Back when it was my dads car, it had remote start, so I would have my sister tell her friends to stand for a picture by the car, and I would start it from a distance and it would scare the daylights outta people. :histeric: One girl called it "the ghost car" and I guess the name stuck.
When it became mine I took remote start off because it had a tendency to make passkey go nuts.'

Edit: Slightly related to both your post and the topic, my neighbor (a woman) has a 70-something Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit Mk.3, but would that be considered a chick car as well?

Night Wolf
01-14-09, 11:29 PM
Edit: Slightly related to both your post and the topic, my neighbor (a woman) has a 70-something Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit Mk.3, but would that be considered a chick car as well?

Only if you don't like it, or feel the need to prove your masculinity by making fun of it.

Rodya234
01-14-09, 11:38 PM
Well, I don't like it because it's not in my driveway. :thepan:

But a car like that is untouchable by any ridicule, it's a masterpiece. :cool2:
She had another mid '70's Rolls, but it was given to her son after her husband died. It was a fantastic car, but I rarely if ever got to see it.

Night Wolf
01-14-09, 11:42 PM
I am sure there are lots of people who can think of plenty to say about such a car.

gary88
01-14-09, 11:58 PM
Audi wagons (Avant) aren't chick cars. Especially when you can have a 572hp bi-turbo V10 RS6 (in Europe :()

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEmPo3r1tAk

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-15-09, 01:13 AM
Night Wolf, I do my own work when I can. Unfortunately all the things that have gone south on my car are not fixable by me in my garage with my meager tool set. The water pump on the caddy required them jacking the engine out of the car and using this weird vibration thing (very cool actually, I watched them do it) to get some of the rusted bolts out. I should say though that both my cars are more reliable than I made them out to be. Honestly, that Rodeo is a tank and it will never die. The caddy always starts but between the trans going out twice and the water pump exploding twice and the melody of other things that make the "Service Engine" light pop on I would call it less than reliable. I have gotten so good at going into the diagnostic system on the caddy while driving and deleting codes (same 3 all the time) to turn the light off that I can do it with a blindfold on. :) I will be doing A LOT of work on it this spring.

Rodya234
01-15-09, 12:54 PM
I know how you feel, this spring I'll be rebuilding two 4T60-E's including performance modding one of them, finishing up my engine work, getting new shocks and springs + touring sedan suspension, adding '93 speed sensitive steering, and then moving on to mod the interior and exterior lighting, getting spring special dress up, getting some window tint, adding more to the entertainment system, and finally finding those '94 Deville wheels.

On top of any other problems that will arise on my sisters car or the daily driver. :rant2:

It doesn't seem like a lot of work, but when your doing it with just two people and a rusty car, it can get hard. But if you do quality work these cars are bulletproof. :thumbsup: