: Sold the Cobra, looking for new toy!

Destroyer
01-09-09, 10:36 PM
Got rid of the Cobra convertible. Great car and I sold it for more than I payed for it over a year and 11k miles ago. On the lookout for a classic Deville convertible however, I'm liking the MB CLK convertible 320/430, vintage '99-up. What do we think of these? Anyone own one?.

Blackout
01-09-09, 11:17 PM
Got rid of the Cobra convertible. Great car and I sold it for more than I payed for it over a year and 11k miles ago. On the lookout for a classic Deville convertible however, I'm liking the MB CLK convertible 320/430, vintage '99-up. What do we think of these? Anyone own one?.
CLK is a girl car

orconn
01-09-09, 11:26 PM
Th classic deVille convertibles are not drivers cars. They are fine on the freeway ....... as long as you remember it takes alot longer to stop and avoidance maneuver capability is only wishful thinking. But they are fun if you want to cruise the boulevard, hit the drive-in on "classic" night.

The CLK convertible is much more to my taste. I had a 2002 coupe and it was good car, however, not worth the money it cost new. I would definitely consider one of the convertibles for a stylish soft top with decent build quality. I think they one of the attractive convertibles to come out in fairly recent times. Ofcourse like all model Mercedes you have the ever present threat of repair bills hanging over you. I dumped mine before the warranty ran out. As you probably know Mercedes service cost make Cads look like real bargains! Personally. I think the BMW 3 series convertibles are a lot more enjoyable to drive, as are BMWs in general compared to Mercedes.

c5 rv
01-09-09, 11:38 PM
How about an Allante? They drive well, despite being FWD. They're roomy and comfortable for two and have a good sized trunk. You won't see many others on the road. There aren't a lot of parts (only 22K made total over 7 years), but there are sources, like Allantesource in Florida. You can still find low / med mile units is great shape for a reasonable price. They aren't appreciating, yet. Check out the Allante forum. I the the 91 & 92 model years are best.

Jesda
01-10-09, 12:42 AM
The CLK is basically a C-class convertible. Its a decent fun car, but the BMW 3-series is far more engaging, reliable, and attractive. I have the service manual for the E46, and its quite DIY-friendly and logical. Parts are on the expensive side but no worse than modern Cadillacs.

Aron9000
01-10-09, 12:44 AM
^I'd much rather have a Benz SL. I saw a really neat 1983 560 SL on ebay, it was euro-spec and had really tidy bumpers and one piece sealed beam headlights.

As for a big Cadillac vert, how deep are your pockets? Any finned vert from the 50's is going to be big $$$(like 50-200k). I like the 65-68 models with the stacked headlights myself. A lot more budget friendly as well.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Cadillac_DeVille_Convertible_1965-1968.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-10-09, 02:33 AM
If I was going for a Benz convertible, I'd go for the SL before the CLK, but anything over that gawdawful SLK. To be honest though, I'd probably take the 3 Series convertible over a CLK Convertible, unless that CLK 430 Convertible was a lot faster than the most powerful 3 Series Convert, then I'd go for the CLK. But you've gotta be careful with the color you choose....with a CLK Convert, you ride a fine line between a feminine and decently masculine vehicle. The color is most likely what's gonna make it.

Night Wolf
01-10-09, 03:36 AM
E46 M3 convertible.

Thats my future "maybe a possibility" car... from a styling standpoint... it's just.... yeah.

http://bmwmregistry.com/media/E46M3cabexterior.jpg

I guess if you wanted something cheap, an E30 vert would be fun, but probably not as flashy, or fast as you want.... a middle road would be an E36 M3 convertible. E36 M3's seem to run low 14's with guys saying they can get into the high 13's stock, E46 M3's seem to run low 13's with guys saying they can get into the high 12's stock.... either way it is very impressive since BMW's are not made for drag racing.

After being spoiled with the driving experience from a 20-year old E30 with worn out suspension, I feel pretty confident that all my future "fun" on-road cars are going to be a manual trans BMW convertible of some sort.... the I6 is really BMW's gift to the motoring community.

E36 M3's seem to be getting cheap now, E46's are going down in price but still expensive (to me) If you don't like these ideas and want a fast-track to retirement I've got a sweet '96 Town Car in mint condition I may be willing to let go...

misfit6794
01-10-09, 04:44 AM
I've driven a few of those gen clk's and its sort of like driving a rock, very solid but very isolated, wasn't a huge fan. You can definetly feel the car's weight, and you get the sense that it will go fast, but that itd rather not. I've always liked the bmw 8 series or early nsx's, both could be had for (relatively) cheap.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-10-09, 08:55 AM
The M3 sounds like a sweet choice. Kinda like the (much better built) German equivalent to your Cobra convertible. Hey is a CLK55 AMG in your price range?

Destroyer
01-10-09, 09:30 AM
How about an Allante? They drive well, despite being FWD. They're roomy and comfortable for two and have a good sized trunk. You won't see many others on the road. There aren't a lot of parts (only 22K made total over 7 years), but there are sources, like Allantesource in Florida. You can still find low / med mile units is great shape for a reasonable price. They aren't appreciating, yet. Check out the Allante forum. I the the 91 & 92 model years are best.
I've driven many Allante's back when I had a detail shop and really didn't like them. The styling was nice but the ride and interior........ughhh. Granted, the ones I drove were '87-'90 models. I'm sure they got better after that. I need a 4 seater convertible anyway.

Destroyer
01-10-09, 09:33 AM
^I'd much rather have a Benz SL. I saw a really neat 1983 560 SL on ebay, it was euro-spec and had really tidy bumpers and one piece sealed beam headlights.

As for a big Cadillac vert, how deep are your pockets? Any finned vert from the 50's is going to be big $$$(like 50-200k). I like the 65-68 models with the stacked headlights myself. A lot more budget friendly as well.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/71/Cadillac_DeVille_Convertible_1965-1968.jpgI like the stacked headlight models better myself but I'd buy any 'vert Caddy up to '73 or so. Mercedes SL while preferable isn't an option as it's gotta have room for the kids. Don't think Daddy going out to the beach and joyriding while the wife and kids sit home would sit well with them. I'm all for it but still. :thumbsup:

ShadowLvr400
01-10-09, 10:29 AM
Why not wait and see if the Challenger goes topless? Or perhaps the upcoming Camaro convertible?

Blackout
01-10-09, 11:01 AM
Why not wait and see if the Challenger goes topless? Or perhaps the upcoming Camaro convertible?

There are zero plans as of right now for the Challenger to go topless. As for the Camaro, you may as well look elsewhere. That car is kinda like the next Gran Turismo game for the PS3. Lots of talk and pictures of it but it seems like its never going to come out. The Camaro just got delayed for yet another month and they were saying that they're hoping to have all of the preorders ready to go by october

concorso
01-10-09, 04:32 PM
If you can't get into an M3 vert, skip the 3 series. A 250 hp I6 3 series is much more feminine then a CLK 430 V8. CLK 430 would be my choice, black/black.

LS1Mike
01-10-09, 07:19 PM
How much do you want to spend...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_4/images/feature-article-car-audio-corvette.jpg

best bang for the buck going in this economy, you can get a low mileage (under 50,000 miles) 6 speed car for under 25,000 easy.

Edit: I missed the room for the kids.

ted tcb
01-10-09, 08:27 PM
Destroyer, how about a pre 2000 model STS with the reliable Northstar powerplant?
You can pm Lebowski, he knows a dealer with a good, cheap 1999 STS.

ejguillot
01-10-09, 09:49 PM
Destroyer, how about a pre 2000 model STS with the reliable Northstar powerplant?

LOL! Trolling away... :stirpot:

mighty_quad4
01-10-09, 09:56 PM

i bet he knows a car that you can put flowers in too.

Destroyer
01-10-09, 11:04 PM
You can pm Lebowski, he knows a dealer with a good, cheap 1999 STS.No need for a lawn decoration at this time.:histeric:

Aron9000
01-11-09, 02:16 AM
i bet he knows a car that you can put flowers in too.

speaking of that, these do have a flower vase molded into the dash

Nothing says gay better
http://www.geocities.com/wolfgangthetalkingvw/Images/History/NewBeetleCabrioLB.jpg

AMGoff
01-11-09, 05:24 AM
Well... If for whatever reason you have small, topless, and lederhosen on the brain (insert requisite nude, German midget joke here)... Why not look at a Porsche Boxster? First of all, it will drive infinitely better than a CLK and as an added bonus, you'll probably retain a larger number of intact bits and pieces while doing so. Not only that, but there are plenty of good, late-model examples out there at decent prices. Sure... You're not going to get the rousing performance of a whole-hog 911 Cabriolet, but compared to the CLK it would be an easy choice.

Personally... If I were in the market for a new "toy", a GMC Syclone/Typhoon have been sitting at the top of my wish list for some time now.

Night Wolf
01-11-09, 06:20 AM
Well... If for whatever reason you have small, topless, and lederhosen on the brain (insert requisite nude, German midget joke here)... Why not look at a Porsche Boxster? First of all, it will drive infinitely better than a CLK and as an added bonus, you'll probably retain a larger number of intact bits and pieces while doing so. Not only that, but there are plenty of good, late-model examples out there at decent prices. Sure... You're not going to get the rousing performance of a whole-hog 911 Cabriolet, but compared to the CLK it would be an easy choice.

Personally... If I were in the market for a new "toy", a GMC Syclone/Typhoon have been sitting at the top of my wish list for some time now.

DooD Boxster = CHICK MOBILE, haven't you been up to date in the chick car thread?

No, seriously tho, he said he needs a backseat for the youngins' which is why I mentioned the 3-series/M3 convertible.... probably one of the best "drivers" 4-seater convertibles on the used car market.

Destroyer
01-11-09, 10:55 AM
I'm going to look into newer BMW 3 series rag tops. Speed doesn't interest me at this time. I ran the Cobra hard and I recently almost lost control of it while racing. I hit second gear and the rear let loose and slid sideways (must have hit a patch of dirt or moisture). I regained control quick and didn't come close to an accident or anything but it made me ask myself "WTF are you doing?". I'm going on 40 with 2 kids, I don't need to be on the streets racing against punk kids in their Honda's, Camaro's and whatnot. I don't drive any of my other cars that way so it's definately the car that made me wanna drive that way. It had to go. BMW, Benz or classic Caddy are in the running. I'd like to spend $13k or less and I've seen several private party CLK verts for that. A classic Caddy I'd pay significantly less for, maybe $7k and thats only because to me it would be strictly a "toy" and not a car I would feel comfortable driving daily if I had to.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-09, 11:24 AM
A CLK 430 Cabriolet would be a solid choice. You've had that W140 and R107 so you're pretty familiar with Mercedes and how they feel. And with that single overhead cam 4.3L V8, it's pretty quick too. It's not Cobra fast, but you don't want it to be.

http://server2.texasdirectauto.com/south_pics/WDBLK70GX3T140295/DCP_4543.JPG

96Fleetwood
01-11-09, 01:00 PM
We both know you are a Porsche fiend at heart :thumbsup:

http://www.carsonpaper.nl/Porsche%2095%20nr%201.jpg

http://www.968.net/registry/images/dix_mike_01.jpg

http://www.968.net/registry/images/McCormack_Michael_00.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1062/865085470_bb3fb73c9a.jpg

http://photos.ebizautos.com/6315/3544107_30.jpg

1993-1995 Porsche 968. 3.0 liter I-4 16 valve with Variocam. Perfect 50/50 weight distribution. 4 passenger seating. 6 speed manual or 5 speed tiptronic.

They fit in your price range! :highfive:

I am still on the prowl for a 1988-1989 944 Turbo S, just haven't found the perfect specimen yet.

Best of luck,
Elias

Night Wolf
01-11-09, 03:44 PM
I'm going to look into newer BMW 3 series rag tops. Speed doesn't interest me at this time. I ran the Cobra hard and I recently almost lost control of it while racing. I hit second gear and the rear let loose and slid sideways (must have hit a patch of dirt or moisture). I regained control quick and didn't come close to an accident or anything but it made me ask myself "WTF are you doing?". I'm going on 40 with 2 kids, I don't need to be on the streets racing against punk kids in their Honda's, Camaro's and whatnot. I don't drive any of my other cars that way so it's definately the car that made me wanna drive that way. It had to go. BMW, Benz or classic Caddy are in the running. I'd like to spend $13k or less and I've seen several private party CLK verts for that. A classic Caddy I'd pay significantly less for, maybe $7k and thats only because to me it would be strictly a "toy" and not a car I would feel comfortable driving daily if I had to.

If you decided on 3-series with $13k or less pricetag, you may have a hard time finding E46's, I dunno if the E36 appeals to you, which you can get in that pricerange all day long. Many say the E36 is more "raw" and better for drivers input then the E46, as it got bigger, heavier and a bit more isolated (the same is said for E36 vs E30) IMO the styling of the E46 is about as perfect as you can get though.

The cheapest E46's convertibles in the area are going to be at the max, or out of that price figure tho...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?doors=&systime=&position=top&position=top&model=3_SERIESCLASS_SERIES&search_lang=en&style_flag=2&start_year=1999&body_style=CONVERT&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&search_type=used&highlightFirstMakeModel=&distance=25&min_price=&rdm=1231702617066&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=91405&end_year=2006&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=1&transmission=&default_sort=&max_mileage=&address=33760&color=&max_price=&awsp=false&make=BMW&seller_type=b&num_records=25&sort_type=priceASC

E36 convertibles can be had for relatively cheap...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=used&distance=50&address=33760&marketZipError=false&style_flag=2&body_style=CONVERT&make=BMW&model=3_SERIESCLASS_SERIES&make2=&start_year=1994&end_year=1999&min_price=&max_price=&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceASC&body_code=1&certified=&advanced=y&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=n&default_sort=priceASC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=&sownerid=91405&rdm=1231703016311

Destroyer
01-11-09, 03:53 PM
If you decided on 3-series with $13k or less pricetag, you may have a hard time finding E46's, I dunno if the E36 appeals to you, which you can get in that pricerange all day long. Many say the E36 is more "raw" and better for drivers input then the E46, as it got bigger, heavier and a bit more isolated (the same is said for E36 vs E30) IMO the styling of the E46 is about as perfect as you can get though.

The cheapest E46's convertibles in the area are going to be at the max, or out of that price figure tho...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?doors=&systime=&position=top&position=top&model=3_SERIESCLASS_SERIES&search_lang=en&style_flag=2&start_year=1999&body_style=CONVERT&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&search_type=used&highlightFirstMakeModel=&distance=25&min_price=&rdm=1231702617066&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&sownerid=91405&end_year=2006&showZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=1&transmission=&default_sort=&max_mileage=&address=33760&color=&max_price=&awsp=false&make=BMW&seller_type=b&num_records=25&sort_type=priceASC

E36 convertibles can be had for relatively cheap...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=used&distance=50&address=33760&marketZipError=false&style_flag=2&body_style=CONVERT&make=BMW&model=3_SERIESCLASS_SERIES&make2=&start_year=1994&end_year=1999&min_price=&max_price=&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceASC&body_code=1&certified=&advanced=y&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=n&default_sort=priceASC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=&sownerid=91405&rdm=1231703016311
I'd go for the body style before that if I could find a clean one, '92-up?. Maybe a '97-'99.

Destroyer
01-11-09, 03:55 PM
We both know you are a Porsche fiend at heart :thumbsup:

http://www.carsonpaper.nl/Porsche%2095%20nr%201.jpg

http://www.968.net/registry/images/dix_mike_01.jpg

http://www.968.net/registry/images/McCormack_Michael_00.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1062/865085470_bb3fb73c9a.jpg

http://photos.ebizautos.com/6315/3544107_30.jpg

1993-1995 Porsche 968. 3.0 liter I-4 16 valve with Variocam. Perfect 50/50 weight distribution. 4 passenger seating. 6 speed manual or 5 speed tiptronic.

They fit in your price range! :highfive:

I am still on the prowl for a 1988-1989 944 Turbo S, just haven't found the perfect specimen yet.

Best of luck,
EliasThose are sweet, I briefly contemplated a 928 like the one I had but I'm pretty bent on a vert. Back seats must real cramped on the 968, I'll check 'em out. Thanks!

gary88
01-11-09, 04:05 PM
If you look really hard, you can find E36 M3s for around $13k. There's a '95 around here with 33k miles for $13,500.

misfit6794
01-11-09, 04:18 PM
Check out some repair costs on the bimmers and benz's it might remind you of a certain cadillac. My vote, a jag xk8, theyre cheaper and more reliable than you think.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-11-09, 04:24 PM
The cost difference for parts and service is gonna be so close between the Jag and Benz, it's almost a toss-up. Plus, atleast it my area, there are a lot more BMW or Benz dealers in the area, which makes for much easier repairs and service.

Night Wolf
01-11-09, 04:50 PM
I'd go for the body style before that if I could find a clean one, '92-up?. Maybe a '97-'99.

E36 convertibles are 1994-2000, E36 really started in 1992, but the E30 convertible ran to 1993. If you go E36, I'd try and stick with the later years myself.

I used to not like them at all, but now they are starting to appeal to me, who knows.

Night Wolf
01-11-09, 04:52 PM
Check out some repair costs on the bimmers and benz's it might remind you of a certain cadillac. My vote, a jag xk8, theyre cheaper and more reliable than you think.

That largely depends on if you can work on a car yourself, or have to take it to the dealer for every little thing. There are websites online where you can get OEM BMW parts cheaper then the dealer, working on the car yourself pretty much eliminates any "cost of ownership" issues.

96Fleetwood
01-11-09, 05:52 PM
Those are sweet, I briefly contemplated a 928 like the one I had but I'm pretty bent on a vert. Back seats must real cramped on the 968, I'll check 'em out. Thanks!

I had a 944 S2 and 951 which had the same rear seats. This was when I was in college, and two 18+ year old girls could fit back there :dance:

Destroyer
01-11-09, 06:25 PM
I had a 944 S2 and 951 which had the same rear seats. This was when I was in college, and two 18+ year old girls could fit back there :dance:Heh, I had an '86 Vette when I was in school. I fit 3 girls in it (no lie). I'll jump on Ebay and see whats available. :thumbsup:

96Fleetwood
01-11-09, 07:36 PM
Sorry for the tease, I am wrong. The 968 Cabrios did not have a rear seat :annoyed:

Only the Coupes had the rear seat... and you can remove the targa roof on the coupe!

http://images1.ecarlist.com/photos/1015_210252/800/35.jpg

*****However, the Porsche 944 S2 Cabrios did have a rear seat!

http://i23.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/11/f2/ba8f_1.JPG

Sorry for the mix up.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-12-09, 04:22 AM
Here ya go Destroyer. I have seen quite a few of these on Ebay recently and some of them look very good, much better than this one. I saw a beautiful '92 on a few weeks ago that had the luggage rack on the rear deck and it looked amazing with both the top up and down. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-DeVille-DTS-1989-Cadillac-Coupe-DeVille-very-rare-Convertible-39ks_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a 2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q 3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZite m110334660852QQitemZ110334660852QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fT rucks

http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/1f/cb/fdb4_12.JPG

This may also do the trick. I have also seen more than one of these floating around and they really stand out. http://www.coachbuildersltd.com/cadillac.html

FYI, the fixed the HG problem with the Northstars around 2000. :)

http://freerevs.com/gallery/photo.php?id=275018

http://freerevs.com/gallery/photo.php?id=275034

http://freerevs.com/gallery/photo.php?id=275028

http://www.coachbuildersltd.com/images/dts-down.jpg

http://www.coachbuildersltd.com/images/2006dts-interior.jpg

http://www.coachbuildersltd.com/images/dts-up.jpg

Destroyer
01-12-09, 11:48 PM
Here ya go Destroyer. I have seen quite a few of these on Ebay recently and some of them look very good, much better than this one. I saw a beautiful '92 on a few weeks ago that had the luggage rack on the rear deck and it looked amazing with both the top up and down. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-DeVille-DTS-1989-Cadillac-Coupe-DeVille-very-rare-Convertible-39ks_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a 2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q 3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZite m110334660852QQitemZ110334660852QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fT rucks

http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/1f/cb/fdb4_12.JPG

I actually like that '92...........just not for $14k

Night Wolf
01-13-09, 12:02 AM
Thats an '89-'90 (or was the update in '88?) '91-'93 had a different nose and side trim.

Among many of the awesome things to me about my '93 Coupe, I feel the lines and proportions were one of the best things, the car just looked great from all angles, both classic and modern at the same time. I always thought it would have been a very good looking car if made into a convertible, and I have seen the custom ones by coachbuilders similar to the one above, and really liked what I saw.

They even went so far as to offer a factory simulated convertible top, but had a convertible been avalible, man that would be quite the car.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/16856d1137565623-so-coupe-before-pdr_0956.jpg

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/16859d1137565623-so-coupe-before-pdr_1009.jpg

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachments/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/16860d1137565695-so-coupe-before-pdr_0968.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-13-09, 12:04 AM
I saw a real nice '91-'93 Coupe deVille today. It was either triple black or triple navy, had the full cabriolet roof, gold package and standard wheels. Such a nice looking car.

Night Wolf
01-13-09, 12:20 AM
I still search ebay and sometimes cars.com/autotrader weekly for another 1 of 119 1993 Slate bronze metallic CDV.... but the chances of finding one let alone in good shape, is getting slimmer. Tho it really wouldn't matter what condition it was in if it was a Slate Bronze Metallic Coupe. About the only other color combination I really like, for style, for the fact it never goes out of date, and badazzness is triple black. I think the only alternative I would take to the SBM would be a minty mint triple black '93 Coupe. I dunno what I would do with the car, it would take the Lincolns spot, atleast while I have the Lincoln... but, I dunno, I never was going to sell the Coupe, she was stolen from me. I guess I am just very partial to that car.

Aron9000
01-13-09, 12:29 AM
There was a guy down the street from where I used to live who had a 91-93 Coupe Deville with that was triple purple. It was that dark plum color in and out with the gold package, sitting on some later model chrome Deville wheels with vogue tires:drool:

Kind of rare to see his Coupe Deville out, it was a total garage whore with 30k miles on it.

MauiV
01-13-09, 02:47 AM
If you want a fun family convertable there is really only one option......

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/Red_Ferrari_Mondial_Cabrio.jpg

Cliff8928
01-13-09, 03:55 AM
Those are sweet, I briefly contemplated a 928 like the one I had but I'm pretty bent on a vert. Back seats must real cramped on the 968, I'll check 'em out. Thanks!

I absolutely love the 968. I don't know if it would be more than the R129 though, but it would surely perform better.

One little tidbit about the 968 is it's the largest front-engined car that Porsche ever built. (larger than the 944 and 928)

Night Wolf
01-13-09, 06:05 AM
Those 80's era Porsche's are interesting to me.... but atleast around here they are very far and few between.

Destroyer
01-13-09, 08:04 AM
Those 80's era Porsche's are interesting to me.... but atleast around here they are very far and few between.Since you have been introduced and appreciate German cars you should try a 928, it's just a gorgeous car. DOHC V8 came forth in '85 but the earlier models with the European spec motors were pretty quick too. Expensive cars to service but that is to be expected.

96Fleetwood
01-13-09, 10:53 AM
Since you have been introduced and appreciate German cars you should try a 928, it's just a gorgeous car. DOHC V8 came forth in '85 but the earlier models with the European spec motors were pretty quick too. Expensive cars to service but that is to be expected.

They are excellent Grand Touring coupes, manual transmissions became rare as the model progressed into the early to mid 90s. They had some stiff competition in the later models, especially when the 928 GTS reached a MSRP of near $100K. Buyers started opting for Mercedes S500/S600 coupes, and BMW 850Csi/850ci/840ci.

The 928 did not have the race heritage the 944/968 series did. Porsche cut out the 944 Turbo S because it was faster than the 911 Turbo of the same vintage... they couldn't let a front engine perfectly balanced coupe beat out their flagship :rolleyes:

Just look at some of the ads of that era:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/51/143531122_ed8e55ffb4.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/46/138504937_ed67b786b1.jpg

and of course... me back in 2000. My '89 944 S2 next to my best friend's '97 Mustang GT.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/lelodavecars.jpg

Boy do I miss that car! But I did not miss the $11K in maintenance bills over 3 years of ownership (it had over 140K miles)

Night Wolf
01-13-09, 04:13 PM
Somebody should school me on the 80's era Porsche.

For one to appeal to me and be a possible future car, it would have to be a manual trans and a convertible.... did they make them in convertibles?

Engine configuration/design/power isn't a whole big deal to me... the stock 2.5L SOHC 170HP I6 in the BMW moves along well enough for me, the thought of boosting the power has crossed my mind, but it's already quite quick for what it is and will exceed 140 while returning very reasonable fuel mileage. I do have a thing for I6's... were the Porsche's only I4/V8?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-13-09, 05:25 PM
Somebody should school me on the 80's era Porsche.

For one to appeal to me and be a possible future car, it would have to be a manual trans and a convertible.... did they make them in convertibles?

Engine configuration/design/power isn't a whole big deal to me... the stock 2.5L SOHC 170HP I6 in the BMW moves along well enough for me, the thought of boosting the power has crossed my mind, but it's already quite quick for what it is and will exceed 140 while returning very reasonable fuel mileage. I do have a thing for I6's... were the Porsche's only I4/V8?

Yeah, the Porsches of that era were the 2.5 and 3.0L I-4s in the 924, 944 and 968, the 3.x flat sixes in the 911s and the twin cam 4.x liter V8s in the 928s

and of course... me back in 2000. My '89 944 S2 next to my best friend's '97 Mustang GT.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/lelodavecars.jpg

It's funny. Even though it's eight years older, the 944 is SO much cooler than that Mustang.

If you want a fun family convertable there is really only one option......

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/jdinmaui/Red_Ferrari_Mondial_Cabrio.jpg

LOL...well that's cool and all, but Destroyer does have a family to support.

96Fleetwood
01-13-09, 05:57 PM

Yep, go back to the start of the this thread where I suggested the 968/944. The 944 S2 came in 4 seater convertible form from 1989-1991 and only came with the 3.0 liter I-4 with 5 speed manual.

The 968 came in 2 seater convertible form from 1991-1995 and had the 3.0 liter I-4 with Variocam and 6 speed manual or Tiptronic.

Both cars are faster and can outhandle any BMW convertible of that era... despite missing two cylinders :cool:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-13-09, 06:08 PM
How does Porsche service/repair costs stand up to BMW/M-B? It seems like it's actually MORE!!! :eek:

MauiV
01-13-09, 06:25 PM
LOL...well that's cool and all, but Destroyer does have a family to support.

A Mondial can be had for very reasonable prices and it is a Ferrari, not a glorified Volkswagen.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=used&distance=0&address=40004&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=FER&model=MOND&make2=&start_year=1981&end_year=2010&min_price=&max_price=&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=n&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=&rdm=1231885154977

96Fleetwood
01-13-09, 07:00 PM
What about a e36 M3 Convertible? They are 4 seater :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-BMW-M3-CONVERTIBLE-NEW-TOP-LOW-MIL-12-200-SHIPPED_W0QQitemZ130280435324QQihZ003QQcategoryZ61 31QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i4.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/29/ae/9af4_3.JPG

Night Wolf
01-13-09, 07:13 PM
How does Porsche service/repair costs stand up to BMW/M-B? It seems like it's actually MORE!!! :eek:

The maintenace costs between my BMW and Lincoln are about equal.... and both are pretty cheap compared to similar cars in their competitve market. Some things the BMW is pricey on, others not so much, it all evens out tho and atleast for me, cost of ownership is not even a factor. Yey for old cars and working on them yourself!

Something appeals to me about a 3.0L I4..... dunno why, that is just cool, kinda like why I like the 2.6 in the Isuzu.

What is the difference between the 944 and 968? What is the S2? All 944's have a backseat and all 968's are 2-seaters? They are all N/A?

Yey for all the newbie questions! It's sparked my interest, doubt I'd be looking at one anytime soon, but good stuff to add to the memory bank.

Only BMW convertible of the era would be E30 3-series... with 2 engine choices, the M42 4cyl and M20 I6, I6 being faster... it's quick but I am sure the Porsche was aimed for a higher performance market when new, probably cost more too. I don't think a mid-level Porsche was made to compete with entry-level BMW in terms of flat out performance. Thats fine tho, the E30 has a very special place in my heart :) I wonder if I could find a good one for $2,500 :confused: I remember seeing a project 80's Porsche (don't remember the model) around here for about $1k, not a convertible tho, it was pretty rough condition and either the enigne was out of it, or it was missing or needed rebuild or something, that was the only onw I remember seeing, but then again I haven't been actively looking either.

Another car that has really got my interest is a ~1990 (generation) Mazda RX-7 convertible, I didn't know they came in convertible form, but a guy at work has one (his DD is a Miata he takes to auto-x) By the 1990 gen they fixed the ugly back end, and the Wankel has my interest (really I just like all internal combustion engines!) and of course, you can get them in a manual trans.

Night Wolf
01-13-09, 07:21 PM
What about a e36 M3 Convertible? They are 4 seater :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-BMW-M3-CONVERTIBLE-NEW-TOP-LOW-MIL-12-200-SHIPPED_W0QQitemZ130280435324QQihZ003QQcategoryZ61 31QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i4.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/29/ae/9af4_3.JPG

Already reccomended at the begining of the thread ;) :)

If it wasn't for the fact that, IMO the styling of the E46 is about as good as it would get, then an E36 M3 convertible would probably be my next vehicle purchase in the future... still thinking about it actually. From doing alot of reading on the E36 vs E46 most say that the E36 feels more raw and connected to the road... thusly more enjoyable to drive, which is a plus for me, but then already alot say that in comparison, the E36 feels bloated, both bigger and heavier and more isolated then an E30. Good deals on them seem to pop up, E46's are still considerably more.

A guy that went to tech school with me had a late model E36 M3, that was probably my very first introduction first hand to BMW, atfirst I didn't like the car at all, but the guy was really cool, and after riding in it several times I really started to like it, it also softened up the E36 to me, IMO the back end is nice, as is the sides, and the M3 has the side skirts with the twists (early versions had the ugly black bumpers/skirts) but I never liked the front end all that much, then one night recently I saw an E36 with a really nice angeleye kit and that pretty much changed my opinion on that.

Ah well, this is all my opinion anyway.... either way you slice it, all the cars being mentioned are excellent in their own right!

96Fleetwood
01-13-09, 07:33 PM
944 S2 Convertibles & Coupes are 4 seaters

968 coupes are 4 seaters

968 convertibles are 2 seaters

The S2 had the 944 Turbo body but with the 3.0 liter I-4 that was naturally aspirated.

The 944 Turbo S was the fastest of the bunch and was made from '88-89.

Night Wolf
01-13-09, 07:52 PM
So difference between 944 and 944 S2 is the body kit?

Between 944 and 968 what are the pros/cons, either of them "better" or offer anything over the other etc...?

*Edit* just looking at pictures of both, I like the front end styling of the 944 better, plus it's got pop-up headlights :) I think the hardtops actually look better... some convertibles are like that... but man if there is the choice of a rag top, I don't see how I could pass that up!

Also surprised how similar the 944 looks to a same era RX7.

96Fleetwood
01-13-09, 09:44 PM
944 had a 2.5 liter I-4 8 valve motor.

944 S2 had a 3.0 liter I-4 16 valve motor.. plus the body kit.

Night Wolf
01-13-09, 10:42 PM
So the S2 would be the one to get...'89-'91..... good info for future reference :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-13-09, 10:45 PM
After going to that Porsche meet last October, I really came to like the 944S2 and 968 models, almost as much as the 928, which is more up my alley, because it's larger, V8 powered and more fitted for cross country travel (more luxury features!), but those I-4 powered Porsches are really impressive too.

I like the E36 M3 too, but maybe because it's more "normal" than the Porsches, and it's probably more comfortable for a family of four, and I'd be willing to bet that the M3 is quicker and more powerful....probably. I don't know.

Oh and isn't the Mondial the Ferrari all the Ferrari guys laugh at? Calling a Porsche a glorified VW is kinda like calling a Cadillac a glorified Chev.

Night Wolf
01-13-09, 10:52 PM
E36 M3 runs low 14's stock with some saying they can break into the 13's..... from what I've gathered reading up on them. If the E36 is anywhere near as liveable as the E30 is (probably would be more) then I'd be sure it would make quite an excellent roadtrip vehicle.

Destroyer
01-13-09, 11:39 PM
E36 M3 runs low 14's stock with some saying they can break into the 13's...Pretty much the same story for 928's. 928 ('85-'86) is good for low to mid 13's but keep in mind that the gear ration was somewhere around 2.24 or close to it, I forget but it was in the low 2's which is a very high gear and not good for acceleration.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-09, 12:31 AM
Good lord that's high. Imagine if they put in a 3.08:1, which is pretty mild by today's standards.

Destroyer
01-14-09, 08:51 AM
Good lord that's high. Imagine if they put in a 3.08:1, which is pretty mild by today's standards.I have to correct myself the 928 was good for low-mid 14's, not 13's. A 3.55 gear really would wake it up, problem is, I don't think aftermarket gears are available. I couldn't find any but you would think someone has them.

96Fleetwood
01-14-09, 09:08 AM
The 928 GTS with the 6 speed manual ran the 1/4 mile in 13.5 seconds!

The e36 M3s became slower after '95 because OBDII and emissions. They also suffer if you buy them with the auto.

I think the Porsche is more $$ to maintain because who buys a Porsche if they are not going to beat the living snot out of them. My Father bought that '89 944 S2 brand new and would drive it to the AutoX or SCCA events and push it to the limit and then drive it home (the 911 Turbo guys came on trailers) for 10 years of ownership! When he gave it to me in 1999 it had over 140K miles and was on the original motor and trans (third clutch). I sold it to a friend of mine in 2001 and he totalled it with almost 200K on the clock! The maintenance was unbelievable but at the end of the day it still had the original motor & trans! My Father has owned some pretty exotic cars and he still talks about that S2 as being the best overall daily driver & track car.

Cliff8928
01-14-09, 02:21 PM
The e36 M3s became slower after '95 because OBDII and emissions. They also suffer if you buy them with the auto.

Not to mention I would suffer if I had to drive one with an auto....