: Barrett-Jackson

MN-STS-LOVER
01-09-09, 09:15 PM
Is there anyone else out there that gets glued to watching the Barrett-Jackson auction? The 2009 is coming soon. (I'm sitting watching last years show on SPEED) I love the cars, and living in Minnesota, I love to see that some parts of the country are actully warm and sunny (plus the Scottsdale auction is a great prelude to the racing season).

Blackout
01-09-09, 10:18 PM
I hate watching Barrett-Jackson because the money these people throw around like its no big thing irks the crap outta me

billc83
01-09-09, 10:41 PM
The exact same reason I hate watching Congress in action!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-09-09, 11:46 PM
I hate watching Barrett-Jackson because the money these people throw around like its no big thing irks the crap outta me

Aye, me too. Its also really boring and there is this one guy that screams like a girl and it pisses me off.

concorso
01-10-09, 03:37 PM
Barrett Jackson helped ruin the classic car market. The way they will push certain cars over and over and over until the bidding escalates, and then barely push other cars, is ridiculous. The constant unneccessary yelling really drives me crazy too. It always seems like their main intent is to top the highest sale ever, everytime they sell a car.

creeker
01-10-09, 04:08 PM

Glad to see it's not just me who feels this way,some of them are buying just as an investment (which I guess is their own business) but the little guy who is a true car fan cant even touch these prices.

orconn
01-10-09, 04:44 PM
I am also not a fan of Barrett-Jackson. I'll watch it as a time filler till something more interesting comes on and then switch. The monotony of seeing over restored 50's Chevies, Mo-Par muscle cars from the '60's accompanied by shallow and not very informative or accurate commentary leaves me yearning for the History Channel. Actually programming on the Speed Channel has taken a turn for the worse. Between "Wrecked" and the sappy commentary of Barry Maguire on "Car Crazy" ....... and worst of all the unmitigated crap put out on "100 Cars You Must Drive." All in all it has me reading tons of fiction for the first time in my life, not too mention hanging out at Cadillac Forums!

creeker
01-10-09, 05:09 PM
I am also not a fan of Barrett-Jackson. I'll watch it as a time filler till something more interesting comes on and then switch. The monotony of seeing over restored 50's Chevies, Mo-Par muscle cars from the '60's accompanied by shallow and not very informative or accurate commentary leaves me yearning for the History Channel. Actually programming on the Speed Channel has taken a turn for the worse. Between "Wrecked" and the sappy commentary of Barry Maguire on "Car Crazy" ....... and worst of all the unmitigated crap put out on "100 Cars You Must Drive." All in all it has me reading tons of fiction for the first time in my life, not too mention hanging out at Cadillac Forums!

It seems the t.v. media is getting worse all the time,the sad part is the viewing public seems to be be accepting these crap shows (reality?) most of them are an insult to ones intelligence,but if the ratings are there that's all the networks are concerned about,it's a matter of choosing which crap show your going to watch, the way they hype these s**t shows all the time,you wonder if your the one that's out of step.

misfit6794
01-10-09, 08:20 PM
Barret Jackson became a victim of its own success. The first few times I watched it, there was such a random slection of cars, you would have no idea what was coming up next, I absolutely loved it. Then it started becoming bigger and bigger, adding new locations and dates, so it wasn't just a special once a year thing. Then it started becoming 50's chevy after 50's chevy. Then the muscle cars, I love them, but seeing one after another gets really really boring. The old auctions were much much better. I love the commentary though, those guys know these cars in and out, and they always seem to find something wrong with every single one, thats my favorite part.

orconn
01-10-09, 08:29 PM
Barret Jackson became a victim of its own success. The first few times I watched it, there was such a random slection of cars, you would have no idea what was coming up next, I absolutely loved it. Then it started becoming bigger and bigger, adding new locations and dates, so it wasn't just a special once a year thing. Then it started becoming 50's chevy after 50's chevy. Then the muscle cars, I love them, but seeing one after another gets really really boring. The old auctions were much much better. I love the commentary though, those guys know these cars in and out, and they always seem to find something wrong with every single one, thats my favorite part.

The truth is the validity of the commentators' knowledge is greatly exagerated. Especially when it comes to anything before 1965.

C&C
01-11-09, 06:58 AM
I like it, I watch it; sure some of the format is obnoxious, but the cars are sublime (most of them anyway). Put the prices paid aside, if you are a car guy and can appreciate the work involved in restoring most of these beauties, you should find some pleasure in the show.

gdwriter
01-12-09, 01:06 AM
When I lived in Arizona, I went to Barrett-Jackson a couple of times. Before it got so huge, it was pretty fun, but the last time I went in 2003, the place was a freakin' zoo (since I visited a couple of freelance clients that had booths there, I could write off the ticket price as a business expense). I'm actually going to be in Arizona next weekend, and I may check it out, maybe. But probably not.

codewize
01-12-09, 07:42 AM
What you're seeing is the successes of an auction business.

As one of my clients is a higher end auction house I've seen the evolution.

Start out by selling whatever a few times a year. As word gets out you get more better stuff. Over time that leads to more auctions at higher hammer prices.

The selling price of each and every item is very important to the auctioneers credibility.

I think, we get a lot of our non-regular consignments because we have a reputation for bringing top dollar even in a bad economy.

So it's just the nature of the beast.