: CTS-V New Model Features and Service Guide

Greg*
01-09-09, 06:16 PM
I was bored at work today so I pulled the following off the GMs online service manual. I know most of the information is a review for the members on this board but I learned a couple of new things from it.

Subject: CTS-V New Model Features and Service Guide

Models: 2009 Cadillac CTS-V

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a special bulletin to introduce the new 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. The purpose of this bulletin is to familiarize dealership service personnel with the vehicle's features and describe the actions the Service Department will need to take to ensure they are able to fully service this exciting new model.

ABOUT THE VEHICLE
The purpose of this section is to familiarize you with the technical aspects of the vehicle.

THE POWER ELITE
Engine
The CTS-V 6.2L LSA engine is closely related to the Corvette ZR1 LS9 engine. The CTS-V's LSA engine was designed to provide class-leading performance. As a result of these efforts, the CTS-V establishes the new benchmark with best-in-class horsepower, torque and 0-60 mph time. In fact, the CTS-V punishes the competition in nearly every track measurement.

On Track Performance
• 0-60 MPH (0-96 km/h): 3.9 seconds

• ¼ mile: 12.0 seconds

• Nürburgring lap: 7:59 minutes

6.2L LSA V8 Engine Specifications
• 556 Horsepower @ 6100 RPM

• 551 lb ft of Torque @ 3800 RPM

• Aluminum block and heads

• 9.1:1 compression ratio

• Eaton Gen 6 Supercharger

• Behr 1-brick Intercooler

• 9.0 psi (0.62 bar) maximum boost

Eaton Gen 6 Supercharger Supercharging Technology
The CTS-V LSA engine features the latest supercharging technology with the Eaton Gen 6 Supercharger which combines peak performance with refined power. Supercharging allows the 6.2L V8 to achieve its impressive horsepower and torque numbers and provides the CTS-V with a wide, flat power band that’s usable at all rpm levels.

The supercharger compresses air to help move more volume into the intake manifold than a normally aspirated engine. As the air is compressed, it becomes heated. Before reaching the intake manifold, the air passes through an intercooler to help create a denser charge entering the combustion chamber. More dense, cool air in the combustion chamber means that additional fuel can be added to the mix, providing enhanced power without compromising fuel economy. Twin, 4-lobe rotors help create a smoother, more efficient flow of air into the engine and provide the added benefit of virtually eliminating supercharger noise. Typical of high performance supercharged engines at approximately 2600 RPM there is an audible whine, which is a normal condition.

SOPHISTICATED TRANSMISSIONS
6L90E Hydra-Matic
A 6L90E Hydra-Matic transmission is designed to optimize the torque output of the LSA engine and features two overdrive gears. Driver shift controls allow the driver to switch the automatic to clutchless manual mode. Upshifts and downshifts can be controlled through the center console shifter or via paddle shifters located on the back of the steering wheel.

Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS) allows the driver to choose Sport shifting mode, which determines if the car is being driven in a sustained performance manner and will force downshifts and hold lower gears to create the optimized shift pattern. PAS is so precise it allowed the CTS-V to achieve one of the fastest times ever recorded for a production sedan with stock tires on the Nürburgring (7:59 minutes). The automatic is electronically speed limited to 175 mph (281 km/h).

The 6L90 automatic transmission will only start in first gear for the first key cycle forward movement. This is to check the first gear range and the low gear ratio is then no longer used for forward take-offs. When in Manual Tap Mode the driver can select first gear and the gear range is displayed on the Driver Information Center (DIC).

Tremec TR-6060 six-speed manual
The Tremec TR-6060 six-speed manual with short-throw shifter is standard on every CTS-V. The TR-6060 has been upgraded with heavy-duty gears to handle the LSA engine’s torque. A dual-disc clutch system provides exceptional shift feel. This is a result of the performance-grade clutch system designed with a high-clamp load pressure plate. There is a distinctive increase in clutch pedal effort when compared to a standard clutch in most vehicles. Two overdrive gears add cruising comfort and help improve fuel economy. A 1-4 skip-shift is used under low throttle and light engine loads to maximize fuel economy. There is no driver notification of the event. Fine pitch teeth synchronizers help reduce shift travel for a refined performance feel. Dual reverse synchronizers provide easy shifting into reverse. With the manual transmission, the CTS-V achieves a top track speed of 198 mph (318 km/h).

The Tremec TR-6060 is a high performance transmission that has unique cold weather (usually below 40°F [4°C]) characteristics. On a 1-2 shift the driver may experience an uneven feel and an audible engagement noise. They tend to subside after 5 miles (8 km) or 10 minutes of driving. This is a normal experience and in no way negatively affects the performance or durability of the transmission.

Driveline
Robust driveline components are designed to handle the engine’s torque. A heavy-duty cast iron limited-slip differential provides for optimal launches and strikes the right balance between excellent high-speed stability and low speed maneuverability. The heavy-duty propshaft has been stiffened and is 70 mm in diameter. SKF racing bearings at all four corners help provide confidence inspiring braking. Asymmetrical hollow half shafts (55 mm left/35 mm rear) help reduce resonance between the two shafts, thereby eliminating power hop.

Differential Cooler
Vehicles that will be driven at extended high speeds or in competitive driving, an add-on differential cooler is available from SPO. It is designed as a dealer installed kit. Additional information is available and was published in the October 2008 edition of the Techlink magazine Volume 10, Number 10.

TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED CHASSIS
Brembo Braking Components
State-of-the-art braking components from Brembo help the CTS-V’s braking power match its acceleration speed. In the front, the rotors have been upsized to 370 mm, approximately 15 mm larger than the previous generation CTS-V, and feature 6-piston calipers. The rear brakes are 365 mm in diameter and include 4-piston calipers. Both front and rear rotors are slotted and vented to help dissipate heat and reduce fade. Acco-cast disc design in the front features a cast-iron braking surface and an aluminum hat, combining the heat-resistance of cast iron with the light weight properties of aluminum.

Electronic Park Brake
An electric parking brake features a control switch on the base of the center console, at the bottom of the shifter bezel. The electric parking brake can be applied any time the vehicle is stopped or in motion. Lifting the lever switch up will activate the electric park brake. To release the electric parking brake, turn the ignition switch to the ON or RUN position, apply and hold the brake pedal, and push down momentarily on the electric parking brake switch. The electric parking brake will automatically release if the vehicle is running and put in motion. In a situation where no roll back is desired, an applied electric parking brake will allow both feet to be used for the clutch and accelerator pedals in preparation for starting the vehicle moving in the intended direction.

Next Generation Magnetic Ride Control (MRC)
Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) uses a network of sensors to read the road every millisecond and adjust shock damping instantaneously based on road inputs. Iron particles suspended in the shock fluid align under this magnetic charge and stiffen/soften the shock absorber. MRC eliminates the use of mechanical valves and provides a much quicker reaction time versus traditional shock dampers. Driver selectable, fully independent Touring and Sport modes optimize the suspension calibration for a touring or performance ride feel. The control button for MRC is located on the center stack. The mode is reset to tour mode with each key cycle and is not saved in the personalization memory.

Suspension
The 2009 CTS-V features independent SLA; 29 mm hollow front and 24 mm solid rear stabilizer bars.

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Tires
The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires were custom developed for the CTS-V. 255/40R19 front and 285/35R19 rear Z-rated tires provide superior lateral and longitudinal grip and excellent wet traction. Painted 19" forged alloy wheels are standard, while forged polished wheels are an option. Both wheels feature a 10-spoke "V" design and are engineered to help reduce mass.

High performance summer-only tires, such as the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, exhibit unique characteristics below 10°C (50°F). Low temperatures in conjunction with the geometry of the front suspension may cause a slip-stick waddle felt in the vehicle with a possible clunk/pop noise from the front tires while slowly backing up and the with the front wheels turned. This is a normal condition.

REFINED INTERIOR
Interior Design
The CTS-V adds to the refined interior of the CTS with performance and design enhancements that point to the car’s capabilities. A unique instrument cluster includes a G-meter in the Driver Information Center, as well as LED tracers in the speedometer and tachometer that act as a shift indicator at maximum RPMs.

Obsidian black trim is used throughout the car’s interior and features a high-gloss finish. Cadillac has provided a polishing cloth with the vehicle. When used frequently, it will remove dust and prints and help maintain the luster of the luxurious finish. Additional on information light scratches and scuffing can be found in Corporate Bulletin Number 08-08-49-018.

The CTS-V is available in a choice of three interior color combinations:

• Ebony/Light Titanium

• Ebony/Cashmere

• Ebony/Ebony

An optional suede steering wheel and shifter knob with enhance grip are also available.

Recaro Seating
Fourteen-way seats are available as part of the optional Recaro Seat package, one of the most respected names in performance seats. The performance seats are heated and vented. Recaro performance seats have an extended time to warm up and an audible fan when cooling in comparison to standard seats. These seats include pneumatic bolsters on the seat back and bottom to help hold the driver and front passenger in place during performance maneuvers. Bottom cushion extensions can be expanded or retracted to provide added thigh support when it’s needed. Recaro seats are available in Ebony or Light Titanium. V-Series emblems are included on the front seat back cushions and sill plates. Included with the Recaro Seat package are metal performance pedals.

Infotainment
Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound with 10 speakers and a 40GB Hard Drive Device is standard. Buyers can add navigation (UAV), which includes:

• An 8" diagonal pop-up touch screen with voice and text guidance.

• Integration with XM Real Time Traffic and Real Time Weather for weather alerts and rerouting capability based on local traffic conditions.

AGGRESSIVE EXTERIOR
The Front
The 2009 CTS-V builds on the expressive design of the CTS and adds unique elements that reveal the car’s stunning performance. CTS- V is immediately recognizable thanks to a unique hood appearance that literally wraps over the 6.2L Supercharger. Unique mesh upper and lower grilles provide twice the frontal opening of the CTS to help provide maximum airflow to the car’s five (six with the automatic transmission) underhood heat exchangers.

The unique one-piece front fascia and splitter provide added performance detail and helps reduce drag. The fascia also houses fog lamps with a chrome trim ring detail, plus a combined 9 sq-in. air intake area inboard of the fog lamps to help cool the disc brakes. As such, there will be additional opportunities for damage if objects are hit, run over, or through improper towing and loading. Care must be taken when ramp loading or recovery towing procedures to ensure proper clearances are maintained during these procedures.

The Side
V-Series badging on the driver and front passenger doors communicates the unique pedigree of the car. Unique rocker moldings add to the appearance at the side. The CTS-V’s large slotted brake discs and silver Brembo calipers are visible through the wheel opening and hint at the car’s starting and stopping power. 19" V-spoke, forged alloy wheels are standard, while forged polished wheels are an option.

The Rear
The rear spoiler features an integrated center high-mounted stoplamp and provides 50 lbs (22.7 kg) of downforce at 150 mph (241 km/h) to help reduce drag and lift at the rear of the vehicle. A unique rear fascia provides an added design detail and helps manage airflow. 3.5 in (9 cm) chrome dual exhaust outlets provide enhanced engine breathing and visually communicate the power under the hood.

OldRoadDawg
01-09-09, 07:48 PM
Cool :thumbsup:
Lots of little tidbits I wasn't aware of

the CTS-V achieves a top track speed of 198 mph (318 km/h)

CadV
01-09-09, 08:04 PM
Thanks for posting.

I hit 175 in my auto and the limiter kicked in. Limiter scared the shit out of me. I have never owned a car this smooth at such high speeds.

JEM
01-10-09, 11:22 AM
Diff-cooler add-on?

"Slip-stick waddle" - as in "Leave the frickin' PS2s in the garage if you get real winter."

tedcmiller
01-10-09, 08:58 PM
I don't know whether anyone else has commented on this before, but the 2009 CTS-V, unlike the 2004-2007 CTS-V does not come with run-flat tires. A small compressor and leak sealer (the sealer compound is supposedly compatible with the TPMs) is provided. The Pilot Sport PS2 tires that come on the car are not run-flat tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 zero-pressure (ZP), or run-flat, tires are not currently available in the standard 2009 CTS-V size.

JEM
01-10-09, 09:58 PM
I don't know whether anyone else has commented on this before, but the 2009 CTS-V, unlike the 2004-2007 CTS-V does not come with run-flat tires. A small compressor and leak sealer (the sealer compound is supposedly compatible with the TPMs) is provided. The Pilot Sport PS2 tires that come on the car are not run-flat tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 zero-pressure (ZP), or run-flat, tires are not currently available in the standard 2009 CTS-V size.

Given what runflats, even the best of them, generally do to the ride and in some cases the handling of cars so equipped, this could be considered a feature, not a bug.

GMX322V S/C
01-10-09, 11:04 PM
Greg*, thanks for sharing!

Just a few minor corrections that everyone probably already knows about:
The 6L90 automatic transmission will only start in first gear for the first key cycle forward movement. This is to check the first gear range and the low gear ratio is then no longer used for forward take-offs. When in Manual Tap Mode the driver can select first gear and the gear range is displayed on the Driver Information Center (DIC).It will also start from first and remain fully automatic if you move the selector to the Sport position and do not manually select a gear change.

Both front and rear rotors are slotted and vented to help dissipate heat and reduce fade.While all of the rotors are ventilated, they are non-slotted.

And one observation:
Low temperatures in conjunction with the geometry of the front suspension may cause a slip-stick waddle felt in the vehicle with a possible clunk/pop noise from the front tires while slowly backing up and the with the front wheels turned. This is a normal condition.I've heard this on at least one occasion (it was down in the high 30's). I though it was a spring perch binding or something; glad it's supposed to be normal.

darjae
01-10-09, 11:12 PM
I've felt the clunk/pop noise in reverse from the driveway at temps from 30-50. At first, I thought WTF, but after reading this, at least I understand that it's normal. Not sure why though....

tedcmiller
01-12-09, 03:38 PM
JEM,
I agree that the ride provided by today's run-flats is inferior to that of non-run-flats. However, I personally, would rather have the convenience of driving on with no pressure, rather than possibly having to stop and perform some action like pump-up on the CTS-V (maybe), or switching to a temporary spare (not provided on the 2009 CTS-V) in bad weather, darkness, poor ground conditions, etc. When the stock non-run-flat tires on my car wear out, hopefully run-flats will be available in the correct size, and I will switch to them. I do like Michelin tires and I think they are better than the Bridgestones I had on my 2005 CTS-V. But if necessary, I will change brands to get run-flats in the stock size - provided they ever become available. Just as a matter of interest, run-flats will be mandated by the Feds for all new cars some time in the future (not sure when). Eventually, all tires will be run-flats.

Kadonny
01-12-09, 04:05 PM
Greg*, thanks for sharing!

I've heard this on at least one occasion (it was down in the high 30's). I though it was a spring perch binding or something; glad it's supposed to be normal.

I've heard this on a few occasions too.

JFJr
01-14-09, 03:15 PM

I was shocked when I read this. I assumed that the tires would be runflats, like on my 2005 "V" and all previous CTS-V's. I've had my 2009 for about 2 weeks, and didn't bother reading the manual section on the sealer/compressor kit, given my assumption. Are you certain about this? If you are what info do you have concerning the compatibility of the stock wheels with runflats, when they become available?