: Is there a way to get rid of the key FOB reminder?

GM-4-LIFE
01-09-09, 01:18 PM
When I park my V in my garage, I leave the key FOB in the cup holder and when I get out and shut the door, the horn honks 3 times.

My STS-V had an option to where you can eliminate the Key FOB reminder.

Is there a way to get rid of the key FOB reminder?

SG

wait4me
01-09-09, 01:22 PM
Did you try putting the key fob into the holder in by the usb?

Cadillac Tony
01-09-09, 01:36 PM
I don't recommend leaving the Fob in the car- it'll keep the computer "awake" at night and eventually lead to a dead battery. I'd suggest hanging a hook by the garage door to hang the fob on instead.

wait4me
01-09-09, 01:41 PM
I thought after 600 seconds of non activity it went to sleep? The BCM module also goes into low power mode with no activity at that time also??? If voltage goes to low then it enters reserve mode.

The battery is made to be used and charged..

Cadillac Tony
01-09-09, 01:46 PM
You might know better than me on this one (since I'm in Sales, not Service), but we've had multiple dead batteries on STSs due to this. The "low power" mode in the BCM puts a small drain on the battery, but over time leads to a no-start.

If you remember, there was even a bulletin on the Gen. 1 CTS-Vs about dead batteries being caused by parking another vehicle with tire monitors next to it, causing the rear door module to repeatedly poll the monitors and kill the battery.

Like I said- I might be wrong, but that's what my Techs have told me.

hyperboimmv
01-09-09, 07:16 PM
Not that I know anything bout the keyless fobs and stuff, but if you turn passive locking off, wouldn't that stop the reminders? Passive locking is when you close all the doors and walk away, the car locks, right?

wait4me
01-10-09, 12:13 PM
ok, pulling the 12v cable off the battery and using an inline amp tester, in between to monitor usage. At 10minutes exactly, "600 seconds" the vehicle shows the same draw with the fob INSIDE the car, or 50feet from the car, and 200 feet.

I tested a few things, Radio itself starts doing things when you press the unlock or get near the car with the fob. "but only after it has been out of range" Probably to preload itself for faster start up.

Also, having the fob inside the special bypass holder it didnt seem to make a difference. maybe .1%

As for TPM sensing module, I dont see how other vehicles parked next to it would cause a battery draw. All cars are parked near each other all the time. Even my cars parked in my garages that most have TPM systems never go dead. "Well except the vipers, but that is the factory alarm that makes them run down."

TPM sensing turns on when the ignition input or accessory input is activated and the BCM sends a message on the bus to wake up. When the sensors are not moving they timeout and shut off unless you excite them with a tester, BUT the sensors in the tires are not hooked up to any power source so they cant drain the battery at all.. I could "MAYBE" see that having a car with the ignition on near your car with the same make/ year/ exciting a few of your tpm sensors in the tire, but that would not effect the Battery in the car at all. "MAYBE" it "COULD" cause premature tpm sensor failure but only if it was on all the time. TPM sensors "SHOULD" last 252455408 Seconds

NormV
01-10-09, 12:42 PM
Do you have Onstar enabled?

Norm

Cadillac Tony
01-10-09, 01:42 PM
As for TPM sensing module, I dont see how other vehicles parked next to it would cause a battery draw. All cars are parked near each other all the time. Even my cars parked in my garages that most have TPM systems never go dead.

I appreciate you taking the time to test all this, and you definitely know your stuff. However, here's the bulletin from GM regarding TPM activity causing no start conditions.

If the TPMS can cause enough drain to lead to a no start, I don't think it's too far fetched to suspect a fob in the car can do the same thing. Again, I'm just going off what my Techs have told me, and may be way off base here.

Not trying to start an argument- just trying to help fellow forum members avoid a dead battery.

Nutz
01-10-09, 03:12 PM
In my C6 I can go into the driver preferences and shut that off (in the speedometer information center). Maybe somewhere on the V too.

GM-4-LIFE
01-10-09, 09:53 PM
In my C6 I can go into the driver preferences and shut that off (in the speedometer information center). Maybe somewhere on the V too.

When I had a C6, I was able to do it too and that is why I thought the V had it too, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the DIC settings. I was able to do it on my STS-V as well.

That's why I asked.

SG

GMX322V S/C
01-10-09, 11:32 PM
It's called Electronic Key Reminder and it's one of the "missing" features (hardwired on, apparently): http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1719557-post1.html

wait4me
01-20-09, 12:02 AM
Ok guys, I had an hour to go thru and dissasemble the key reciever. The value can be modified to allow no key fob reminder.. I made the change and flashed it in and the reminder is no longer there.

So, I then looked around in the tech2 and well it seems i wasted an hour because also in the tech2, you can go to user configuration for the module and turn off that feature.. :crybaby: I should have looked alot closer before going thru all the trouble...

If anyone cares, i can send the modified file. But you would need a way to flash that module. "custom bootloaders ect and hardware"

So this means ANY dealer can turn off that feature for you if you want it gone.

If they need to call me if they cant find it, that is fine.

GMX322V S/C
01-20-09, 01:52 AM
Hmm...do you think it would be possible for the dealer to expose all of the "hidden" settings so they appear in the menus? Or is the UI simply not there? Sounds like those that want the passenger side-view mirror tilt-down may be able to have the dealer enable it...

Luna.
01-20-09, 03:44 AM
For the simple folk, like me, this feature is designed so that you don't lock your keys in the car or something, yes?

I'm a little baffled as to why one would want to disable that.

Please help

wait4me
01-20-09, 10:32 AM
Luna, the feature is designed to remind you that you left your fob in the car and that it will remain unlocked so anyone can steal it.

Luna.
01-20-09, 05:45 PM
Luna, the feature is designed to remind you that you left your fob in the car and that it will remain unlocked so anyone can steal it.

Aye.

So why disable it again?

(Not being rude, I just don't understand why one would want to leave that in the car)

Kadonny
01-20-09, 05:51 PM
Agree with Luna. You get the chirp, open the door, grab the fob and carry on. The car locks so anyone can't steal it. Why would you want the car not to warn you, then you walk away and anyone can steal the car.

I don't get it.

EricVonHa
01-20-09, 06:59 PM
He's leaving the key in the car while it's parked in his geerage