: 09 Test Drive.... WOW

csp3000
01-08-09, 08:35 PM
I went to my local Caddie dealership today to service the Escalade and the GM there knows me very well and had a Black on Black loaded with the recardos and man it is so nice. He was trying very hard to get me to buy it but I told him I was dealing with another place "Tony". Then as I was getting ready to leave he pulls up with a loaded Thunder Gray 09 with the 6sp auto and said do you want to take it for a spin and I was like hmmmm YES! :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

All I have to say is this the car is simply amazing in every way. My first gen V was very fast but the new one is WOW. It just feels like it will never give up. I had it up to about 90 and shut it down as I realized in my euphoria that I was on a street that was posted at 45 mph... lol The power comes on so smooth but very aggressive. The fit and finsh is top notch. I think if I had my first gen still after driving that one I would be very sad to get back in my car. If anyone was on the fence about getting the car and you have the means DO IT!!! Truly unbelievable car.

Oh when I was driving the 09 I came to a red light and I looked over and asked my friend who is the GM if I could hit it and he smiled and said I would expect nothing less and I as soon as the light went green I floored it and no hop at all as far as I could tell. The rear end broke a little loose and then it was like a shotgun blast as soon as the tries hooked up. I looked in the rear view mirror and everyone that was at the light was gone... lol:worship:

I so love this car and I give Cadillac so much credit for buliding it. This car is a steal even at 100K Again just WOW:cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

1FASTV
01-08-09, 09:09 PM
I took an Thunder Gray 33 miles on her. for a ride in Jersey as my car is in for warranty work and they want to give me 13k for my car with 30k miles on it. but whatever. So i was drivin the v normal and playing with the padal shifters and its so fun to drive. Then i got on the car and it tricked me at first. i didit know what was happening and before the wheels hooked up the guy told me to slow it down... I really wanted to get to see how it compares to an ZO6 505.... Any one drive the both and can tell me pros and cons'?

jvp
01-08-09, 10:47 PM
I really wanted to get to see how it compares to an ZO6 505.... Any one drive the both and can tell me pros and cons'?

My current ride is a 2007 Z06. I've done a test drive on a new V, but I don't (yet) own one. So my driving time in it was limited. Mike will probably be able to describe the differences more thoroughly. But, here's my take on it:

Completely different vehicles. The Z06 is light, quick, nimble on its "feet". The stock run-flat tires aren't the greatest in the world, but when new, they transmit the right amount of information from the road to the driver's fingertips and backside. It corners flat (relatively speaking) but does go over bumps with quite a *thud*. You can definitely feel the imperfections in the road when driving a Z06.

Fast. Monstrously fast. There's no getting around the fact that 3100lbs being pushed by 505HP is one hell of a power to weight ratio. The Z06 gets out of its own way with authority. The engine note, specially in the upper RPMs, is shiver-inspiring.

But not very comfortable. The stock seats in the Z06 are known internally at GM as one of the biggest jokes played on its owners. They're horribly uncomfortable and unsupportive. And to make matters worse, they're not adjustable at all. Further, the car's weight loss required it to shed some of the base Corvette's interior noise abatement material. You can definitely note this because you're sitting almost literally on top of the massive rear tires. They boom up through the rear hatch area and make a hell of a racket. And, let's face it, taught suspensions to beat you up at the end of the day.

Further, for being such a track star as it is (and, it really is), the stock brakes are just a mistake. GM was so close to a kick-ass Brembo solution on the Z06, but at the last minute decided to go with that asinine one-pad-per-piston PBR setup. PBR is, and always will be, a second-rate brake company. Unfortunately, they have the corner on the Corvette's brakes (except the ZR1) and have for a very long time. The brakes do work, and work well. But their design leaves a lot to be desired, specially when it comes to pad thickness and available materials.

Overall, the Z06 is a very capable car. It accelerates violently, stops fairly well (though I wouldn't want to repeatedly test those stock brakes), and handles like it's on rails. But in the end, it's fairly uncomfortable and contains few modern interior amenities that a lot of cars have offered forever (iPod connector anyone? Hello? ...)

The V. You've driven it, so you understand what it's like. The one I drove was a stick with Recaros (which would be the ONLY way I'd fly). Obviously, being a 4-door sedan, it has quite a bit more interior room than the Corvette does. The Recaros are one of the main reasons, in my opinion, that the V is so damned comfortable. It took me less than 2 minutes to find my ideal seating position in the V, and I was instantly "at home" in it. For a factory seat, it's perfect.

The V has the interior amenities that the Corvette doesn't (or does, but poorly). The V's navigation system is world's better than the Corvette's is. The V's entire entertainment system, for that matter, is on a different plane than that of the Corvette's. USB connectivity, iPod controls in the stereo, able to play MP3s off all sorts of media, etc. None of this is available in the navigation-equipped Corvette.

Brakes: Um.. Brembo. They win, the end.

Power: The V has immense low-end torque. Hell, at idle, it's producing 400lb-ft of torque, which is more than most cars do at peak. That's insane. That low-end grunt combined with the very short rear end (3.73s in the manual) make for VERY brisk acceleration. It is fast. It seems faster than the Z06. It isn't. In an out-and-out acceleration race, the Z06 will win. It has lower weight, larger tires, and an overall better power-to-weight ratio (every one of the V's HP is moving 7.55lbs vs 6.22lbs in the Z06).

Handling: The V is a 2-ton sedan, but its handling doesn't necessarily feel like one. GM's chassis and suspension engineers did a superb job with the MR shocks (not available on the Z06), sway bars, spring rates, etc, to help tune out the mass of the vehicle. It handles damn well for a beast its size. And it's very comfortable while doing so. Moreso than the Z06 is. At the track, a Z06 would munch a V fairly easily, mainly due to the mass differences. But, that's not to say the V's a slouch in the handling department. Far, far from it.

I like both cars a lot. If I could afford to own both, I would. Unfortunately, my financial wherewithal doesn't quite stretch that far. It's either one or the other; at this point it's not clear which yet. :-)

jas

1FASTV
01-11-09, 04:21 PM
Crazy write up... speech less

GM-4-LIFE
01-11-09, 08:53 PM
After reading this thread, I am so glad the dealership I got my V from didn't allow anyone to drive it.

I feel bad for those guys that buy their Vs after they were abused before the engines got to break in.

I am not flaming, just posting how happy I am that I was the first to drive my V.

SG

jvp
01-11-09, 09:18 PM
I feel bad for those guys that buy their Vs after they were abused before the engines got to break in.

If you believe that engines actually need to be broken in, I have some prime beachfront property in Arizona for sale.

jas

poor-sha
01-11-09, 09:32 PM
My current ride is a 2007 Z06. I've done a test drive on a new V, but I don't (yet) own one. <snip>

I like both cars a lot. If I could afford to own both, I would. Unfortunately, my financial wherewithal doesn't quite stretch that far. It's either one or the other; at this point it's not clear which yet. :-)

jas

Jas, say it ain't so! You're thinking of leaving the Z brotherhood? Would you mind PM'ing me with where you test drove? Although the more I think about I'd rather not have that temptation right now.

I'm just over here covetting the new CTS-V myself. Maybe some day I'll be able to get one as a daily driver.

poor-sha
01-11-09, 09:38 PM
If you believe that engines actually need to be broken in, I have some prime beachfront property in Arizona for sale.

jas

Yup. The Katech guys told me that the break-in on the Corvette was for the transmission and diff. When they rebuilt my motor the car went directly to the race track and those are the folks that build the motors that win LeMans.

Jpjr
01-11-09, 09:43 PM
The V2 is a great car but lets keep it fair the Z06 would abuse it in every category. That is what two more seats, three sets of golf clubs, and ultra comfort cost you.

jvp
01-11-09, 10:23 PM
Jas, say it ain't so! You're thinking of leaving the Z brotherhood?

Very seriously considering it, but I'm waiting for the right set of circumstances as far as deals go. I'm also after specific options, and right now there aren't many cars available configured as such. Given that the plant is closed this month, it'll be a little while before more Vs start rolling down the line.

I've been quietly following the V's development for the last couple of years. A very good friend of mine worked for HPVO (he's moved on to other challenges at GM) for a few years, and was one of the key chassis/suspension/handling/Stabilitrak/etc guys on the car. He'd never really tell me specifics about it during that time, because that would compromise his job. But he'd drop hints for me here and there, because he knew I could fill in the blanks and figure things out. Needless to say: I'm very impressed by his hard work, and I'd like to own one of them. :-)

(FWIW: I'm staying with him this coming week when we once again go to "Industry Days" at the NAIAS).

I enjoy the Corvette, and I have since I was 23. My Z06 is my third Vette. It was, in my opinion, a slight step in the wrong direction for me. I like excellent handling cars (as you know: I do Summit Point regularly). But, the Z06, even in stock trim, just beats the hell out of me as a daily driver. I love the power of the LS7 and the fact that there's enough room under the wheels for real brakes (unlike in the base car). But had I known how uncomfortable I'd be back in '06 when I bought the car, I'd have passed on it and went with a Z51 coupe. When I'm at the track, I certainly don't drive anywhere near the car's edge of performance. The Z06's envelop is HUGE, but I'm now seeing that I don't really need it. I'd have just as much fun on the track with a coupe.

We'll see. It all depends on what various Cadillac dealers are willing to do with pricing, availability, etc. I haven't completely given up on the Z06 yet. :-)

jas

Vrocks
01-12-09, 01:32 AM
After reading this thread, I am so glad the dealership I got my V from didn't allow anyone to drive it.

I am not flaming, just posting how happy I am that I was the first to drive my V.

SG

It's not the engine, it's usually the gear mesh that needs some time.

The new Nissan Skylines are brake tested, handling tested, acceleration tested and ultimately, run hard for a few laps on a test track before they're shipped.... so much for the all important "break in".

GM-4-LIFE
01-12-09, 12:40 PM
It's not the engine, it's usually the gear mesh that needs some time.

The new Nissan Skylines are brake tested, handling tested, acceleration tested and ultimately, run hard for a few laps on a test track before they're shipped.... so much for the all important "break in".

According to the Corvette engineering team, the engines are run up to WOT and tested before they are installed into the vehicles at the assembly plant, but they want you to follow proper "break-in" procedures because the engine internals are "meshing together" for the very first time under a vehicle's weight load.

SG

lynkz
01-12-09, 02:26 PM
For those of you that have driven an auto 09 CTS-V, or own one, in manual mode do they hold the gear at rev limiter, or will it automatically shift to the next gear. Also when down shifting, does it blip the throttle or rev match?

Vrocks
01-13-09, 12:27 AM
For those of you that have driven an auto 09 CTS-V, or own one, in manual mode do they hold the gear at rev limiter, or will it automatically shift to the next gear. Also when down shifting, does it blip the throttle or rev match?

It rev matches when you down shift and yes, it will hold the gear.

For an easily controlled burnout:
Put the shifter in the sport position and tap the shift button to select 2nd gear. Then go to half or 3/4 throttle pretty fast and it'll light 'em up and you won't need to worry about the trans shifting, or the rev limiter :D