: 2009 cts-v hdd

JFJr
01-08-09, 12:58 PM
I just tried to download some music files from my 16 gig USB Sandisk Cruze Micro to the HDD, but received a message from the car system that the device wasn't supported. Has anyone had any positive experience downloading music to the HDD from a USB flash drive, and if so, what type of flash drive was it?

CadV
01-08-09, 01:02 PM
I just tried to download some music files from my 16 gig USB Sandisk Cruze Micro to the HDD, but received a message from the car system that the device wasn't supported. Has anyone had any positive experience downloading music to the HDD from a USB flash drive, and if so, what type of flash drive was it?

I was able to do it with my thumb drive. I would recommend just using your thumb drive instead of copying it to your hard drive. You only get about 10g on the hard drive anyway. I leave my thumb drive plugged into the car 24x7.

JFJr
01-08-09, 01:05 PM
The error message said to remove my USB drive immediately, so I couldn't do any thing with it. What brand, etc., thumb drive did you use?

CadV
01-08-09, 01:07 PM
The error message said to remove my USB drive immediately, so I couldn't do any thing with it. What brand, etc., thumb drive did you use?

Any drive should work. What file system are you using on it? FAT32/NTFS etc.

jvp
01-08-09, 01:12 PM

I used a high density SD card in a USB->SD adapter, connected to the USB port in the console when I did my test drive a couple weeks ago. Worked fine for playing, but I didn't try copying data to the disk (since the car wasn't mine).

I don't know what brand my SD cards are, but the adapter is a el-cheapo Rosewill unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820223087

FWIW: I agree with CadV - ignore the HDD and leave it for the Navigation system. Use a thumb drive formatted with FAT32.

jas

TheGeeman
01-08-09, 02:22 PM
I had no problem transferring the files from my Attache 2 Gig thumb drive to the HHD. I did not use subdirectories in the thumb drive.

G.

GM-4-LIFE
01-08-09, 02:32 PM
Is there a way to load a CD with MP3 so the HDD can rip it or does it have to be a different media format?

SG

CadV
01-08-09, 02:38 PM
Is there a way to load a CD with MP3 so the HDD can rip it or does it have to be a different media format?

SG

Yes you can. I could only get CD-R media to work. It takes forever to copy though. I suggest ripping CD's on your computer and move them to a thumb drive. Then use the thumb drive to play music in the car.

jvp
01-08-09, 02:45 PM

You may be able to, but again: why bother? The internal HDD is so small that it's really not worth the time or effort to rip anything to it. Leave the HDD to the Nav unit as I said previously. That way, if the unthinkable happens and the Nav unit updates to something larger than 30G (remember: the HDD is split 30G Nav/10G Music) your music won't be touched.

Thumb drive, thumb drive, thumb drive, thumb drive....

Get the idea? :D

jas

GM-4-LIFE
01-08-09, 03:17 PM
Is there a port where you can plug in a flash drive? If so, where is it located?

SG

jvp
01-08-09, 03:22 PM
Is there a port where you can plug in a flash drive? If so, where is it located?

No. You have to plug the flash drive into a USB converter, and then the USB converter into the center console. See my first post in this thread for an example, assuming you're using an SD flash drive.

jas

GM-4-LIFE
01-08-09, 03:28 PM
No. You have to plug the flash drive into a USB converter, and then the USB converter into the center console. See my first post in this thread for an example, assuming you're using an SD flash drive.

jas

Thanks for the info jas.

What about iPod hookups? Can I plug my iPod in and dump the music from my iPod onto the HDD?

SG

jvp
01-08-09, 04:06 PM
What about iPod hookups? Can I plug my iPod in and dump the music on my iPod onto the HDD?

In the center console, there are two ports: USB and 1/8" stereo plug. Also, included with the car is an iPod adapter. One end is the rectangular iPod connector (connects to the bottom of your iPod/iPhone). The other end splits between the USB port and the 1/8" stereo connector.

Look here in Mike's photo post. Very last picture. You can see both jacks in the center console:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1695539-post4.html

Just to the right of the lighter plug, you see the 1/8" stereo plug, and then the USB plug. The cable that comes with the car (Mike doesn't have it connected there) connects to both plugs.

CadV has some good pictures here in this post:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1717240-post3.html

jas

darjae
01-08-09, 11:11 PM
What about iPod hookups? Can I plug my iPod in and dump the music from my iPod onto the HDD?
SG

Stock, the ipod does not allow you to copy data from the device (even to PCs). I can plug in my ipods and iphone (and control/play them), but haven't tried copying from it. I'll try tommorow, but I would bet against copying songs from ipods to the hd. Apple is very restrictive about that. You're best bet will be a Flash Drive or an USB Hard Drive.

JFJr
01-09-09, 12:17 PM
Thanks, I think that my directories on on the flash drive might be the problem.

wait4me
01-09-09, 01:34 PM
How many people would be interested in a bigger internal hard disk drive? I might have the ambition to start trying that out if there would be enough interest in it. Say a 80gig. That would be a 50gig partition for the music. The rest would be for the recording buffer and map data, cdda database ect....

urbanski
01-09-09, 01:47 PM
if you're going to that trouble, make it 1T or something huge. same physical size drive. sounds fun.

wait4me
01-09-09, 05:12 PM
A one tb would be nice, i just dont think the OS/ radio can handle that size. Plus i dont think it would be compatible to put a really big one in.. Vibration and heat also come in to play. Not to many harddrives are up to that task.

This reminds me of the modding of my Z1 - Z3 days...

jvp
01-09-09, 05:37 PM
A one tb would be nice, i just dont think the OS/ radio can handle that size.

If the radio's OS can handle 40GB, it can handle 1TB. So long as the file system on the disk is FAT32 or something similar.

Plus i dont think it would be compatible to put a really big one in..

The only compatibility problems that will arise would be due to the applications running on the radio expecting a 30GB and 10GB split. But, if that problem exists, then it'll exist if you put an 80G disk in, a 128G disk in, whichever.

I think you're making assumptions about something you clearly don't understand (yet).

Vibration and heat also come in to play. Not to many harddrives are up to that task.

While I've not seen the HDD enclosure in the car, I'm sure that GM provided decent-enough damping for it to handle bumps and whatnot. Again, if a 40G disk can work (we aren't talking about MilSpec hardware here... this is a car for crying out loud) then anything larger will work as well.

The GOOD experiment would be installing a large SSDD into the car, to remove all of the physical spinning platters, etc.

jas

urbanski
01-09-09, 05:45 PM
would be easy to wire up a nice 80mm 12v fan back there when the radio is out.

wait4me
01-09-09, 06:06 PM
Im getting my information from previously doing the same thing in my pioneer Z1 and z3 navigation unit. The larger drives didnt work past a point. They originally came with 20 gigs. You can put in 40gig..

The radio in the CTS is made by ALPINE. It is using a microsoft code. Ive dissasembled a ton of it already in my spare time to learn how it works/ secrets... Looking at the exact coding in the OS of the radio it doesnt look like it can handle requests past a point.

JFJr
01-09-09, 09:56 PM
I started this thread. Thanks to several of you for your help. Once I eliminated all the directories that came with the Sandisk Cruze USB Micro, and copied my music files again, the car system accepted the device.

On another note, I have owned 6 Corvettes and a 2005 CTS-V, and the 2009 CTS-V is the most awesome vehicle that I have ever driven and/or owned; solid, luxurious and incredibly powerful and capable! The Recaro seats are worth the money. Cadillac rocks!

poor-sha
01-15-09, 08:59 PM
It is using a microsoft code. Ive dissasembled a ton of it already in my spare time to learn how it works/ secrets... Looking at the exact coding in the OS of the radio it doesnt look like it can handle requests past a point.

Do you know specifically which platform? Sync, AutoPC, CE? Another thing I didn't know about the V2

GMX322V S/C
01-15-09, 09:21 PM
^ Windows Mobile for Automotive (Alpine is the OEM).

james4513
01-15-09, 09:59 PM
I started this thread. Thanks to several of you for your help. Once I eliminated all the directories that came with the Sandisk Cruze USB Micro, and copied my music files again, the car system accepted the device.

On another note, I have owned 6 Corvettes and a 2005 CTS-V, and the 2009 CTS-V is the most awesome vehicle that I have ever driven and/or owned; solid, luxurious and incredibly powerful and capable! The Recaro seats are worth the money. Cadillac rocks!

Same thing happened to me. The Cruiser has an OS component that the Caddy does not like.

wait4me
01-16-09, 11:34 AM
GMX322v is correct. It is microsoft automotive, kinda like CE but for oem companies.

Looking in the code there are all kinds of things this radio can do, i just cant get anything to work. lol

It has a web browser and all kinds of other goodies... Which, would mean that if i could turn that on, and some how use the verizon wireless data card that the system has, you could have internet anytime you are on thier system... Ohh well, to many projects not enough time...

BobGod
01-31-09, 11:14 AM
I had success with 8GB Geek Squad thumb drive purchased at Best Buy.

vperl
02-16-09, 02:36 PM
OLD55guy: 2009 cts-v hdd

your the best......loads of info......

OldDrummer55
02-16-09, 03:53 PM
glad I could help!

dgarza
03-29-09, 01:04 PM
i have a sandisk cruzer i formatted it to Fat32. Loaded mp3's only no folders and as soon as I plug it in it gives me an error that the device is not supported...What Gives:hmm:

JFJr
03-29-09, 10:21 PM
i have a sandisk cruzer i formatted it to Fat32. Loaded mp3's only no folders and as soon as I plug it in it gives me an error that the device is not supported...What Gives:hmm:

The only thing I did, based on ideas from others, was to eliminate all the folders, nothing else. Once that was done, I copied my music files and the system accepted what I had done.

62Jeff
03-30-09, 12:36 AM
The only thing I did, based on ideas from others, was to eliminate all the folders, nothing else. Once that was done, I copied my music files and the system accepted what I had done.

Interesting. I've got a 16 Gig Kingston drive that was empty when I bought it. I ripped all of my CDs with Media player, then copied all of them (including their album and artist folders) onto the Kingston drive. The car recognizes them all just fine.

Vlakaz
03-30-09, 01:13 PM
How many people would be interested in a bigger internal hard disk drive? I might have the ambition to start trying that out if there would be enough interest in it. Say a 80gig. That would be a 50gig partition for the music. The rest would be for the recording buffer and map data, cdda database ect....

I haven't picked up my 09V yet (still 2 weeks until do so), but what would be the point of a larger internal drive? Can't you simply connect a drive, like a Western Digital 250GB laptop drive to the USB port? Those run for about $100 and would provide a ton more music storage.

Getting the browser to work somehow would be very interesting though!

btw, i like the fact that you are always curious about how things work in the car, your posts are always helpful. Thx.

Ooh btw, I think it would be pretty cool if someone could figure out if it was possible to have the car read photos or avi video files off a USB key/drive and display them on the screen. :)

neuronbob
03-30-09, 03:08 PM
Ooh btw, I think it would be pretty cool if someone could figure out if it was possible to have the car read photos or avi video files off a USB key/drive and display them on the screen. :)

That would be GREAT! I'd love to have a way to change the backgrounds to a pic of my son or wife. (Of course, I'm only 1/2 way through the navi manual so I may have missed this functionality if it is present.)

Vlakaz
03-30-09, 04:52 PM
That would be GREAT! I'd love to have a way to change the backgrounds to a pic of my son or wife. (Of course, I'm only 1/2 way through the navi manual so I may have missed this functionality if it is present.)

I think it would be great to be able to use the Navi screen to change backgrounds or browse pics you just took on your digital camera, maybe browse some avi videos off a USB key. If it can read mp3's no reason they can't figure out a way for it to read other compressed file types like jpg or avi/mpg. :)

This Nav/stereo system seems like it has the potential do be a true multimedia system with talk of a wifi hotspot options for 2010 and web browsers, backup cam, ... why not simply add all these features from the get go.

Maybe its another reason why all these car companies are struggling, they never seem to learn. Why wait a model year to release options that are pretty basic in the world we live in today, like backup cameras, HUD etc... by doing that you have people that will wait an extra year, or more before buying and then you (GM) risks them changing their minds and moving on to a differnet make/model/manufacturer. I have already read on forums that people are waiting for backup camera and HUD possibly, before buying. Add all these features from the get go as charged options, GM would make more money that way and sell more cars.

There is nothing wrong with a long list of charged options :) The car is well priced as it is, GM should be looking for ways to make more $ and sell more cars.