: Rare find, 307 Olds rebuilt ready to go

N0DIH
01-08-09, 02:56 AM
Sorry moderators, no other way to list this to help out members, it isn't mine, just a good find for someone with a need for a 307.

http://www.racingjunk.com/post/1361516/Oldsmobile-307-Factory-Roller-Cam-Engine.html

cadillac_al
01-12-09, 09:23 AM
It's probably a good deal if someone needs one. I've got a thing about loose piston clearance and power honing the block and putting the stock pistons back in raises some questions for me. It might be perfectly fine and I'm sure it will run good enough but I wonder how many thousandths they honed out of the cylinders. The name of the website might put things in perspective. You don't get much for $800 nowadays so it is still a good deal if you need one.

N0DIH
01-15-09, 09:18 PM
Yup, rebuilding one yourself would cost 2x that, might as well then start with a 350 Olds and some good heads and make 2x the power of the 307 with not much diff in mpg. Loose pistons in bore aren't cool, ask GM, piston slap.....

It's probably a good deal if someone needs one. I've got a thing about loose piston clearance and power honing the block and putting the stock pistons back in raises some questions for me. It might be perfectly fine and I'm sure it will run good enough but I wonder how many thousandths they honed out of the cylinders. The name of the website might put things in perspective. You don't get much for $800 nowadays so it is still a good deal if you need one.

Scraped Knuckles
01-17-09, 05:39 PM
The 307 isn't worth it. There's a couple of engine rebuilding companies near me that only charge $1050 $1200 for hydraulic cam V8's and $1400 $1500 for roller cam V8's (Ford, GM excluding Cadillac, Dodge). There's a big differnce from a re-ring and bearing job to a complete rebuild. It could be worth $400-$600 if they could prove it runs and has good oil pressure. The V8's have weak oiling systems and will have bottom end failure with low oil pressure (which is probably why they put new rings and bearings in a low mileage engine).

Slacker
04-08-09, 03:17 PM
The 307 isn't worth it. There's a couple of engine rebuilding companies near me that only charge $1050 $1200 for hydraulic cam V8's and $1400 $1500 for roller cam V8's (Ford, GM excluding Cadillac, Dodge). There's a big differnce from a re-ring and bearing job to a complete rebuild. It could be worth $400-$600 if they could prove it runs and has good oil pressure. The V8's have weak oiling systems and will have bottom end failure with low oil pressure (which is probably why they put new rings and bearings in a low mileage engine).

Agreed. I payed around $200 for my 307 with transmission and pretty much complete. (Just missing carb, dist, and accessories). It currently has ~50k miles on both...