: Attn: Bay Area V Owners/Enthusiasts

benjet
06-28-04, 05:56 PM
In about 2 weeks ALMS and the CTS-VR's will be @ Infineon RACING! Who all is planning to go?!?

I know there are a number of locals around - time to come out of the woodwork! We could have a V Corral! Does Caddy do anything (hospitality tent) special? Anyone??

-Ben

ctsvinman
06-29-04, 12:54 AM
Ben,
Can't go, but I'm a Bay Area (Morgan Hill) guy. My 05' has an Aug 27th delivery date. I ordered the Stealth Gray.

Do you have a CTSV?
VinMan Out.....

wildwhl
06-29-04, 01:39 AM
In about 2 weeks ALMS and the CTS-VR's will be @ Infineon RACING! Who all is planning to go?!?

I know there are a number of locals around - time to come out of the woodwork! We could have a V Corral! Does Caddy do anything (hospitality tent) special? Anyone??

-Ben

Ben -

Heck, I'm up for a road trip in the V!:drinker :bouncy:

What are the dates/times?

Wildwhl

Slick V
06-29-04, 08:09 AM
When I went to Sebring in March they provided us with parking to the Cadillac lot, hospitality tent, pitpass, and the suite. Talk to your local dealers, they are the ones who can get these passes. I got the pitpass and suite because of family but I know they were giving away the other two to customers who were planning to go to the race.

Dreamin
06-30-04, 12:55 AM
I'm in... probably just Sunday (for the GT race). But how do we get pit passes? Anyone in good with their dealer?

benjet
06-30-04, 02:56 AM
I'll ask my dealer people who I know if all the other locals do the same, otherwise I have no idea if they are doing anything for "us" there.

Ben -Heck, I'm up for a road trip in the V!:drinker :bouncy:
What are the dates/times?
Wildwhl
C'mon down they practice/Qualify on Sat, Race Sunday. I've already been to Reno in my V!

Ben,
Can't go, but I'm a Bay Area (Morgan Hill) guy. My 05' has an Aug 27th delivery date. I ordered the Stealth Gray.

Do you have a CTSV?
VinMan Out.....
Yes I have a V (reportedly 1st one delivered in CA) - and I've even had it in Morgan Hill a number of times ;)

-Ben

benjet
07-05-04, 02:02 PM
I've asked one of the GM's at my selling dealer so far he had no clue about "passes" so I'm gonna keep at it/him.

DRDSGOLF?? CHET? JEM? I know there are more of us Bay Area ppl here!

Anyone else?
-Ben

chet
07-05-04, 08:45 PM
Ben I'll try to be there what day(s) are you going?

JEM
07-05-04, 09:14 PM
Ben I'll try to be there what day(s) are you going?

I'll probably be there, at the BMWCCA corral, but would love to see how the other half lives...

John.

benjet
07-07-04, 02:56 AM
Event Schedule -

http://www.infineonraceway.com/news_flash/home_1/437324.html

Printable Version -

http://www.infineonraceway.com/documents/04ALMS_Sked.pdf

I believe the CTS-VRs are in the SPEED World Challenge GT Class and race @ 8:55 - 9:45 am Sunday 7/18/04 (that's an early race time!)

also note:

SPEED World Challenge Driver Autograph Session Ė Saturday, July 17: Saturday will also offer a chance to meet all of the SPEED World Challenge Series drivers at an autograph session to be held in the winnerís circle. Drivers from the GT and Touring Car classes will be featured.

I'm still working on tix/hostpitality/pit passes/etc. Please call your local dealer and harass them about it as well.

-Ben

benjet
07-09-04, 01:33 PM
I've had no luck with my selling dealer (go figure - they are kinda clueless) so far, but I'm still trying. I plan on going Sat and Sun, either way.

Hey guys (chet, Dreamin, Wildwhl, JEM) can you shoot me a msg with your contact info/emails - I'd like to get a list of local (or semi local) owners (yes JEM - I know), if you guys don't mind.
-Ben

chet
07-09-04, 09:20 PM
Ben, my email is chetspencer@comcast.net

benjet
07-12-04, 04:50 PM
OK I finally got ahold of my dealer guy who said he has called about half a dozen ppl at GM and so far got nothing,(he claims) he's doing his best but getting no where. Meanwhile here are the normal tix pricing -

http://www.gospeedway.com/ir_tix/lemans.gif

I HEAR* that the Corvette clubs got weekend passes for $35 and am trying to see if they have any left. Will post when I have more info.

-Ben

UPDATE - Called Infineon Ticket office they will take phone (pickup at will call) orders for tix for the Corvette club price, as well as regular tix for those not planning to go all weekend 800-870-RACE.

Dreamin
07-18-04, 07:57 PM
WELL??? How was it??

(sorry ben, needless to say, i couldn't make it :()

thebigjimsho
07-18-04, 10:50 PM
Funny thing is I'm a NASCAR fan. I went out to play softball, but I'd decided to record the racing on NBC, not even realizing I could watch the V. Tivo has great recording quality.

If I had known how big a deal it was to go to these races, I would've reconsidered going to Lime Rock on Memorial Day Weekend. The problem was I was scurrying to pick up my V before that weekend, to take it up to the lake for the weekend and let the car soak in. Funny thing is, I received invitations for the Lime Rock event for the entire weekend. I don't even know who sent the invites. I was torn. I did have a great weekend at Lake Winnepesaukee.

Did anybody out in the Bay Area see the massive SHO Convention? I was trying to make it to see old friends, but the Democratic National Convention held me back. I needed to be here for the next 2 weeks(not a democrat, in the limousine business). But a couple hundred SHOs tearing up the area with a trip to ThunderHill.

JEM
07-19-04, 12:14 AM
Did anybody out in the Bay Area see the massive SHO Convention? I was trying to make it to see old friends, but the Democratic National Convention held me back. I needed to be here for the next 2 weeks(not a democrat, in the limousine business). But a couple hundred SHOs tearing up the area with a trip to ThunderHill.

It was 101 cars pre-registered plus a few drive-ups, not the biggest convention ever but something of a miracle for a West Coast event. 66 went to Thunderhill (plus one instructor/former-SHO-owner brought his E46 M3) and everyone was able to drive back (a fair bit of lawn-mowing but nothing bent, a couple minor parts failures, one massively destroyed set of stock Gen 1 front brakes.)

I didn't get to Sears Point today; nothing quite went right this weekend. Bah.

benjet
07-19-04, 02:18 PM
I was planning to write up a whole report on the weekend (I went all 3 days) but I got home really tired and have been a bit busy so far today. So here is the summary:

Fri - CTS-VRs 2 (~20 min?) Practice runs, I missed the morning run which supposedly was pretty good. Introduced myself @ the V Paddock and got to meet the CTS-V Marketing Manager as well as Driver Andy Pilgrim (who autographed my CTS-VR cut sheet). Got ALOT of pics of the #8 (Pilgrim's) car. Met a local V owner at random, and will try to get him here to the board.
Details of the run are here -

http://www.world-challenge.com/2004/events/inf/pressnote3.html

2nd run of the day #8 had a mechanical failure on the track and was able to mosey back to the pits. #16 did well. Later back at the Paddock, Pilgrim talked to me at length and told me it was a rear training arm (rear suspension) failure that caused him to quit early in the session.

Sat - Qualifying both cars were out for a few laps, I think #8 came in after only 6 laps? While #16 stayed out for 10 or more. After the session, again went back to chat with Pilgrim (who picked me out of the crowd to talk to). He informed me that with the specíd TOYO tires usually the 2nd or 3rd lap out is best and all after are consistent, no need to keep pushing the car, he felt he drove it well for a few laps and was done. He qualified 4th, with the #16 car (Angelelli) in 6th. Didn't take any pics today.

Details of Qual - http://www.world-challenge.com/2004/events/inf/pressnote8.html

Sun Ė Race Day

This race took place RIGHT AFTER the Earnhardt incident and not a lot of people were there yet. I wonít put in the race results or details so as not to be a spoiler, for those that wish to hear the details please click on the following links. I also met 2 other local V owners that I know from the boards which was also cool! I was too into the race to take any pics but I think some of my friends did and I'll try to get copies of those.

http://www.world-challenge.com/2004/events/inf/gt-results.html

http://www.world-challenge.com/2004/events/inf/pressnote11.html

Iíll put the pics I took of the CTS-VRís in the Paddock in another thread (later).

-Ben

P.S. There were about 2 dozen Ferrari's cheering on 1 car in GT/ALMS and I'd guess <10 V's cheering on 2 racer, we need more support!!!

StealthV
07-19-04, 05:48 PM
:coolgleam Sounds like you had a good time. Definitely looking forward to those pics!

thebigjimsho
07-19-04, 10:52 PM
It was 101 cars pre-registered plus a few drive-ups, not the biggest convention ever but something of a miracle for a West Coast event. 66 went to Thunderhill (plus one instructor/former-SHO-owner brought his E46 M3) and everyone was able to drive back (a fair bit of lawn-mowing but nothing bent, a couple minor parts failures, one massively destroyed set of stock Gen 1 front brakes.)

I didn't get to Sears Point today; nothing quite went right this weekend. Bah.
You know, I was just reading one of your posts over at SHOForum just a few minutes ago! I thought it was in the 130 range. Just figure I'd round off to a couple hundred for dramatic effect. :hide:

Anyway, what are you driving JEM? Is it an M5? I'll have to go back and look. It would've been nice to meet you there. I would've driven out in the V and would've LOVED ThunderHill!!!!

Have you been to other SHO Conventions?? Maybe I'd have met you at those???

JEM
07-20-04, 03:07 AM
Anyway, what are you driving JEM? Is it an M5? I'll have to go back and look. It would've been nice to meet you there. I would've driven out in the V and would've LOVED ThunderHill!!!!

a) much-hacked-on '91 SHO that I just can't quite seem to stop fiddling with (quickie 3.2 swap that drinks a lot of oil, a 3.6 being built - '93 3.2 block bored to 3.75in, offset-ground crank, etc. but for a lot of reasons it didn't get done for the convention)

b) mostly-stock '00 M5 - Powerchips DME flash, brake ducts, second-hand Dinan stage-3 suspension bits about to go in.

c) a couple other things.

No, I've never been to a SHO convention previously. Thunderhill is a very good track for big tanks like SHOs, M5s, and CTS-Vs.

Dreamin
07-20-04, 03:14 AM
JEM: Did you own a supercharger-SHO?

JEM
07-20-04, 02:22 PM
JEM: Did you own a supercharger-SHO?

No, it's never seemed like a good idea to me.

The SHO is typically FWD nose-heavy, the SHO engine is already a heavy beast for its displacement (approx 435lb bare, or about the same as an aluminum-head 5-liter V8) and the SHO engine compartment in stock form is more crowded and has more hoses, wiring, and general clutter than just about anything else on the road.

The car is already, for all the uses I'd put it to (street and road-course driving) traction-limited in normally-aspirated form even with a Quaife, and a blower just adds weight to the nose, mechanical complexity, and enormous amounts of engine-compartment clutter. Before I'd do that I'd swap in a 331 stroker smallblock V8 - cheaper (once one got the transaxle-mating sorted out), about 100lb lighter, and better midrange torque. I'm going to try to get my 3.6 (which is not a SHO Shop 3.6 setup, btw) run in and on an engine dyno before it goes in the car, I'm looking for 315-320 crank HP and a nice 3500-5000RPM torque curve.

One of the reasons the CTS-V appeals to me (not enough yet to make me trade the M5 for one, but...) is the relative ease with which one can get bags of HP out of the LS6 without going to a blower.

Okay, enough SHO stuff on this board...