: The saga of my V2 acquisition and thoughts on the car.

fleadh
01-07-09, 02:50 PM
I had been waiting months for the new CTS-V to hit dealers. My local dealer was absolutely worthless. All they told me was to watch the Cadillac website since that's where they got their information. Finally, I start hearing reports that some dealers were receiving their V2's, of course, my local dealer still said it'd be over 30 days to get one but they'd happily take my deposit, but wouldn't search for the car themselves.

After spending about a week searching online, calling dealers across the country, and being frustrated by all the dealers listing cars as available, but were only 'on order'-- I said, **** it. I found a new black C63 AMG about 5 miles from my office and decided I'd go pick it up in the morning. I really didn't want a manual, but those things sound sweet and I wanted something reasonably quick and comfy for commuting. That morning I woke up to a PM from forum member Nutz-- he said there was a black 6spd at his local dealer, in Ohio.

After a few phone calls to verify that it was basically what I wanted (black/6spd.. i didn't really care about the rest) it was paid for and shipping was arranged. The shipping company said it'd take 3-4 days to get to my house California, but that the bad weather and holidays might delay it a few extra days. After waiting so long for the V2, I figured I could wait another week.

Fast forward a week later: I called the shipping company monday morning at around 8AM to get a status, since I hadn't heard anything. Turns out they hadn't been able to find a truck to pick the car up. I was slightly annoyed, but it was the holidays, and I'm a firm believer that if you want anything done rite, you have to do it yourself. I asked told them I'd give them until the end of the day to find a truck, otherwise I'd have to cancel the order and go get it myself. They weren't able to find a truck and gave me a full refund without any arguing.

After I got off the phone with the shipping company, I called the sales guy at the dealer and told him I'd be there the next day to pick it up myself and asked him to make sure that no one picked up the car.. just in case the shipping company was slow to cancel the order. Once I was done talking with the sales guy, I went over to travelocity.com and ordered a pair of round trip tickets to Ohio (my buddy offered to go with me for the drive back). It's amazingly cheap to fly into Akron from San Jose...

Our flight left San Jose at 6AM that morning. After a slight delay in Denver because of 'aircraft maintenance' issues, we arrived in Akron about an hour behind schedule (4PM local time). We made it to the dealer, picked up the keys, and were back on the road by about 5PM. Because of the bad weather between Ohio and the Rockies, we decided to head south until it warmed up and stopped snowing. It flurried all through West Virginia and Kentucky. Once we hit Tennessee it warmed up a little, so we jumped on I40 West all the way to California. We covered a little over 3,000 miles in 3 days.

Impressions:

- we spent about 5 minutes at our first stop trying to figure out how to get the 'key' out of the ignition. the sales guy left the car running when he brought it out in front of the dealer, so we never seen how it worked and he said he left the 'spare' key in the car after handing me one.. so i assumed the one he left in the car was the one in the ignition. why the hell did they make the key receiver in the ignition look like a real key? a push button starter would have been much better... i wonder if thieves will think the key was left in the car and attempt to break in more often.
- the car doesn't remember when the seat warmers are on after you turn it off. that drives me crazy... especially when you drive for 3 days and the average temp is about 35 degrees.
- the steering wheel blows. i didn't get the suede, it came with the leather wrapped wheel. the leather has a plastic feel that sucks, but i can live with. what really bothers me about the wheel is the 'thumb hooks' at the 9 and 3 position. the plastic for the buttons ends in the middle of the thumb depression. wtf? it's not bad after 10 or 20 minutes, but after 3-4 hour i was about ready to choke a bitch.
- touring mode suspension is too stiff. now, before you say 'but it's a sport sedan and it has 560hp you ninny!', let me say.. i have plenty of really fast sports cars. my old commuter was basically a race car, so i don't have a problem with stiff suspension. my problem is that this is a cadillac and it already has a compromise of having SPORT AND TOURING MODES. somewhere in their launch cycle i'm sure someone said 'make it a little stiff, so people know they're in a sports sedan'. whoever said that needs to be punched in the throat. i'm fine with the sport mode being very stiff, but the touring mode is harsh. in the twisties and under load it's fine, but for cruising around it's too harsh. good thing it has so much power. ;)
- the cruise control on downhills sucks. maybe this is normal, i never use cruise control.. but it's really 'surgy'. perhaps they used the normal CTS cruise computer...
- the manual transmission sucks. i've never driven another car with this transmission, but it feels like i'm driving a truck. the position of the shifter is too far back and too high. maybe this is because the engine is so god damned big it got pushed back a little. all i know, is it sucks. the shifter feel is also really rubbery and flexy. it shakes a lot while driving too, which drives me crazy. good thing it has so much power.
- the texture of the dash is like a plastic football. good thing it has so much power.
+ the audio system, navigation, and traffic system is really sweet. the touch screen makes everything really easy. i was kind of bummed we weren't able to get a generic USB MP3 player to work with it, but it's not a big deal... most likely operator error. the CD RIP/Record feature is awesome sauce.
+ power. holy jesus. first time we pulled out on the freeway and i went to pass someone we snapped our heads against the head rests. we both looked at each other and laughed.
+ engine/exhaust sound. for a stock sedan, it sounds sweet.
+ did i say power?
+ utimate sleeper car. it looks pretty sedate (except from the front).

Here's a couple photos from the trip, in the order they were taken. I was surprised by how well digital cameras take photos from a car moving at 80+ MPH. :-)

http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_1.jpg
http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_3.jpg
http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_5.jpg
http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_6.jpg
http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_8.jpg
http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_9.jpg
http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_11.jpg
http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_12.jpg
http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_13.jpg

the largest cross in the wester hemisphere... lol?
http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_14.jpg

http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_17.jpg
http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_18.jpg
http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_20.jpg

when i pulled up to my house, the end.
http://boom.net/~mike/road-trip/med/_21.jpg

ps: the 3 most common things you'll find between ohio and california are giant firework shops, adult superstores, and churches. no joke.

pps: if you ever find yourself in little rock over new years, a little local advice: don't go outside between 11PM and 1AM or you'll think you were in beirut.

-mike

GM-4-LIFE
01-07-09, 03:08 PM
Great write-up and congrats!

I like the pics of your road trip, but where are pics of your new V?

SG

MauiV
01-07-09, 03:39 PM
Congrats and nice pic. The 1st pic looks like my drive hme from work everyday just south of Louisville (cept mine is 3 lanes). 3rd pic Im guessing is Centerville Tn? The bridge looks like crossing over from Memphis to West Memphis Arkansas.

Sounds like a really fun trip.

Razorecko
01-07-09, 03:47 PM
I put my deposit on the 6spd manual. Do you mean the shifter is too far towards the engine or the rear of the car ? - I looked at the pictures before and it looks like if the shifter is far to the rear of the car it could really benefit from a quality "short shift" kit.

fleadh
01-07-09, 04:04 PM
I put my deposit on the 6spd manual. Do you mean the shifter is too far towards the engine or the rear of the car ? - I looked at the pictures before and it looks like if the shifter is far to the rear of the car it could really benefit from a quality "short shift" kit.

Ya, I meant that the shifter feels set back too close to the driver versus closer to the dash and wheel. I tend to drive with my seat pretty far back as well, and rowing through the gears just isn't comfortable. Maybe it was designed for old gray hairs with short arms. :-)

Also, I didn't include any pics of the car since I had posted them in the 'delivered 09' thread already. I didn't want to be too redundant.

-mike

Kadonny
01-07-09, 04:16 PM
Interesting and a cool story. I think you trash the V a bit much with some of your comments you make. The trans does not suck nor does the wheel. I actually love the steering wheel, it is a VAST improvement from my STS-V I just turned in.

Good luck with it.

YoshiV
01-07-09, 04:59 PM
It's awsome you got to drive it home like that! Did you get the car from Central or Crestmont??

Nutz
01-07-09, 05:08 PM
I knew there was a story for that trip. Again, congrats on the new rocket! That's cool that you arrived at 4 and were on the road by 5. What a good experience it must have been at the dealer.

I actually drove THE CAR YOU BOUGHT and to me the shifter LOCATION felt good, but the throw/feel was still almost as bad as my V1 broomstick in a bucket. UUC, B&M, and Katech still have a future in the V shifter market.

As for the ride, I think if you had a V1 before the V2 (I'm just assuming you didn't), you would probably have noticed a world of difference in the two. That car successfully represents improvements from it's prior model, but would be hard pressed to destroy all comparisons handsdown. To me it felt like an STS feel in a CTS car. Sounds like a DTS feel is more like your taste. I was ok with the ride (probably because I was feeling the softness of the Pilot's though).

I really think that one lap around a track and you will be squeezing the steering wheel thumb supports and loving them.

Great photo's and story. I was happy to here that my pm to you about the car turned into what sounds like an interesting New Year's roadtrip.

Good luck and enjoy the weather out there. Hell, you probably won't have to touch the heated seats for awhile out there.

dvandentop
01-08-09, 03:10 AM
great post thanks for sharing!

cant beat the fly in and drive home with a new vehicle!

1fstkde
01-08-09, 03:30 AM
great post..reminds me when i did a los angeles, n.y. run.....put 6k miles in my 05 ctsv before my lease ran out..what a fun drive in a fun car!! p.s hate the key also..luv the push start button instead..

atdeneve
01-08-09, 06:49 AM
Haha! Good thing it has so much power. :highfive:

V-Beach
01-08-09, 08:34 PM
I found a new black C63 AMG about 5 miles from my office and decided I'd go pick it up in the morning. I really didn't want a manual, but those things sound sweet and I wanted something reasonably quick and comfy for commuting.

Is the C63 a manual?

I went over to travelocity.com and ordered a pair of round trip tickets to Ohio (my buddy offered to go with me for the drive back). It's amazingly cheap to fly into Akron from San Jose...

Why did you get round trip tickets if you were driving back in the new car?

Heavychevy1
01-08-09, 09:26 PM
- the steering wheel blows. i didn't get the suede, it came with the leather wrapped wheel. the leather has a plastic feel that sucks, but i can live with. what really bothers me about the wheel is the 'thumb hooks' at the 9 and 3 position. the plastic for the buttons ends in the middle of the thumb depression. wtf? it's not bad after 10 or 20 minutes, but after 3-4 hour i was about ready to choke a bitch.

:histeric::rofl::lol::bwahaharoll4vu:

fleadh
01-09-09, 01:29 AM
I found a new black C63 AMG about 5 miles from my office and decided I'd go pick it up in the morning. I really didn't want a manual, but those things sound sweet and I wanted something reasonably quick and comfy for commuting.

Is the C63 a manual?

hmm that should have said i didn't want an automatic. for some reason i can't go back and edit that post.. i wanted to add a couple more +'s to it too, but o well. :P

I went over to travelocity.com and ordered a pair of round trip tickets to Ohio (my buddy offered to go with me for the drive back). It's amazingly cheap to fly into Akron from San Jose...

Why did you get round trip tickets if you were driving back in the new car?

round trip tickets are cheaper.

-mike

darjae
01-09-09, 01:38 AM
...when you stopped for gas.....why didn't you buy Orbit gum? It's clearly superior to Juicy Fruit! And your choice of music sucks..........

Really, I'm just trying to find faults with the road trip (and make fun of the "silly" comments) ;)

I do think you're a little too critical, but you obviously like the car....And Guatemalan orphans could have really used that return trip ticket....Crap! now I've offended the Guatemalan orphan lobby!

c4ss
01-09-09, 03:23 AM
Sounds like a nice roadtrip. Love the car. I really need to get me one of those :drool:

jvp
01-09-09, 09:02 AM
round trip tickets are cheaper.

Not only that, but one-way tickets can win you a fun "random" screening by the TSA.

jas

Tuan_CTSV
01-09-09, 12:40 PM
Looks like you roll through my part of town.. The picture of the water slides, is White Water in Oklahoma City. HAHA pretty cool.

Cub Cadet
01-09-09, 04:38 PM
I test drove that car a few weeks ago and put close to 10 miles on it - some city and some highway driving. I really liked it, and I thought the shifter was in a perfect spot. I did think it was a bit tall, but most stock manual transmission shifters are tall. I am 6' 2" and the car fit me perfectly. The hydraulic clutch took some getting used to. I liked everything about that car... wished I would have bought it that day!!!