: dual 2 channel amp vs single 4 channel

nikon
01-07-09, 09:46 AM
well, not for a caddy but I put a new stereo in my 87' blazer....and it sounds good, just needs more power....alot of setups I see 4 channel amps, others I see dual 2 channel amps why?...and whats better...the speakers in the truck are not the same...the fronts are 4x6 which can handle 50rms...and the rears are 6x9 which can take 80rms...so I ask, dual 2 channel amps rated at different powers or a single 4 channel...whats better.....and I'm no audiophile...just want it to sound nice, it's a project truck.

delatorre1986
01-08-09, 12:06 AM
depends..... rms rate, brand of amp, speaker brand / ohm rating... I've used 4 channel amps for voice, for just the rear and front speakers 6x9 and put bass blockers for smaller speakers, 2 channel amps can be used for a pair of subs or regular speakers or a mono amp for 1 sub. Some amps can be bridged together, depends of what you want out of it. I'd go with a 4 channel amp for a simple setup.

yomommas
01-16-09, 07:17 PM
well, not for a caddy but I put a new stereo in my 87' blazer....and it sounds good, just needs more power....alot of setups I see 4 channel amps, others I see dual 2 channel amps why?...and whats better...the speakers in the truck are not the same...the fronts are 4x6 which can handle 50rms...and the rears are 6x9 which can take 80rms...so I ask, dual 2 channel amps rated at different powers or a single 4 channel...whats better.....and I'm no audiophile...just want it to sound nice, it's a project truck.
if you're not an audiophile one 4 channel amp will be sufficient. i don't think anyone (audiophiles included) would truly be able to tell the difference. i'd pick up a 4 channel 200-300 watt rms amp and call it a day.