: a quandary...

darjae
01-05-09, 11:20 PM
Let me first state that I find this forum to be a solid place to find knowledge and bounce ideas off of other V owners and knowledgeable people. But, it seems that half of the threads regress into people flaming other people.

This forum obviously has it's share of trolls that have the idea that flaming and causing the thread to regress is a good thing.

If you notice, the "Corvette-Wheels" thread started OK, D3 expressed his discontentment with the re-use of the image and it snowballed from there. If you really evaluate the thread, neither D3 or Corvette-Wheels really escalated the thread. It was members who exclaimed that lawsuits where forethcoming (not D3) that caused the thread to get out of hand.

I agree that Corvette-Wheels should have removed the offending image (which was done), but the thread went way 'lower" than it should have ever gone.

I will say that I have the implicit understanding that when people are put together in forums/online, they will say things that they would not normally say. But, is this really where we are? Every time someone asks a question someone has to make fun of it? Is it right to flame someone who disagrees with you? I agree with debate and discourse. We are (hopefully) all here for the same reason... We want information or we want to help people who need "said" information.

The flames and childish posts really don't serve either purpose. I'm really not trying to scold. But, we all have to think about what we post and ensure that it's in the spirit of the forum.

I'm not sure of what else I need to say, or how it will be accepted.... But, this should be a place where we can gather and feel happy (or at least informed) as owners, or enthusiasts....

Well, that's my 2 cents and I hope that it's accepted, but knowing this forum.....I'm not so sure....

Respectively,

Darjae

Kadonny
01-06-09, 08:33 AM
It really bothers you that much? It's just the internet. I don't let petty things like that bother me. I come here to get information, share information and maybe get a few laughs. Other than that, I don't take it that seriously.

trukk
01-06-09, 09:42 AM
Let me first state that I find this forum to be a solid place to find knowledge and bounce ideas off of other V owners and knowledgeable people. But, it seems that half of the threads regress into people flaming other people.

This forum obviously has it's share of trolls that have the idea that flaming and causing the thread to regress is a good thing.

If you notice, the "Corvette-Wheels" thread started OK, D3 expressed his discontentment with the re-use of the image and it snowballed from there. If you really evaluate the thread, neither D3 or Corvette-Wheels really escalated the thread. It was members who exclaimed that lawsuits where forethcoming (not D3) that caused the thread to get out of hand.

I agree that Corvette-Wheels should have removed the offending image (which was done), but the thread went way 'lower" than it should have ever gone.

I will say that I have the implicit understanding that when people are put together in forums/online, they will say things that they would not normally say. But, is this really where we are? Every time someone asks a question someone has to make fun of it? Is it right to flame someone who disagrees with you? I agree with debate and discourse. We are (hopefully) all here for the same reason... We want information or we want to help people who need "said" information.

The flames and childish posts really don't serve either purpose. I'm really not trying to scold. But, we all have to think about what we post and ensure that it's in the spirit of the forum.

I'm not sure of what else I need to say, or how it will be accepted.... But, this should be a place where we can gather and feel happy (or at least informed) as owners, or enthusiasts....

Well, that's my 2 cents and I hope that it's accepted, but knowing this forum.....I'm not so sure....

Respectively,

Darjae

I am a smart ass, and have been known to derail a thread or two, especially when the douche-alarm strats ringing. With that said, I am going to try and be completely honest here.

I highlighted where I think you have a wrong assumption. I think there are three reasons people are here:

1) We want information
2) we want to help people who need "said" information.
3) We are here for entertainment and to have fun.

#3 is the issue. In case you haven't seen, a lot of us rable rousers are the old timers, that have been here for a long while. We've absorbed a considerable ammount of #1, and doled out gobs of #2.

We've also seen about 1000 posts titled:
- "My car has a squeek"
- "Can I put 22's on my V"
- "Whats the best exhasut for my car"
- "I have axle hop"
- "Cheap rear end fix for the V"
- etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum

This causes a lot of us old timers to be a lot quicker on the trigger, when we see BS, misbehaving, or quackery. Yes we could be more polite or subtle, but for a lot of us that wore off a few years ago.

In a nutshell:

- The old timers do need to chill out a bit (we also need to tone it down on the supporting vendors, even if some are asshats)
- The newbs need to grow some thicker skin, and use the SEARCH function.

Hope this helps.

-Chris

Ketzer
01-06-09, 09:50 AM
I spend waaaayyy too much time on car forums. What you are complaining about is common on all that I visit. Some even have special areas set up so people can be "pwned" or told that they "fail". The key is don't get sucked in, when it stops being funny, stop reading and don't come back to that thread.
Several old addages come to mind, "arguing with a fool" is one, and the other ends in "cuz the pig likes it".

darjae
01-06-09, 10:56 AM
I understand that people come here for entertainment as well. I don't think that the smarta$$ comments really bother me. I guess it's when I'm following a thread looking for actual info and the thread gets completely derailed with flames that I get annoyed. (I also understand that annoying people is entertainment for some as well)

I don't have thin skin and I do just ignore those threads once it happens.

Re-reading my original post, I guess it does seem a little somber. That was not the intent..... not really sure what the intent was.....oh well, back to the flames.... :alchi:

Kmajecki
01-06-09, 11:37 AM
http://www.forumspile.com/Flame-Flame_on.jpg

How dare a 2 month, 77post, noob member give us a stern talkin to! :tisk: jk was just providing the flames...

Even when a thread gets off topic it seems that most will still contain quite a bit of useful information. You just have to read a few bs posts in between. I enjoy the hostility, it acts as a good filter.

darjae
01-06-09, 02:07 PM
http://www.forumspile.com/Flame-Flame_on.jpg

How dare a 2 month, 77post, noob member give us a stern talkin to! :tisk: jk was just providing the flames... :D

http://www.forumspile.com/Flame-Flame_on.jpgEven when a thread gets off topic it seems that most will still contain quite a bit of useful information. You just have to read a few bs posts in between. I enjoy the hostility, it acts as a good filter.

I agree with the amount of useful information even with the off-topic stuff.

Kmajecki
01-06-09, 02:38 PM
I'm actually surprised no one has attacked all the "09 Available right now" threads...Or maybe they have. These threads become a few days old and of course the car is gone by then, then another new "available" thread pops up, etc... I can't complain though, im a lowly V1 owner just sniffing around the V2 pages so i have no right to complain about every V2 seen having it's own thread :)

You're out in the Woodlands?! You're much closer to Goliad than i am. I expect to see a you tube of your 09 out at the Texas Mile in March! Auto or Manual?

http://www.texasmile.net/

darjae
01-06-09, 02:43 PM
Auto or Manual?http://www.texasmile.net/

It's an Auto. Couldn't convince the missus that Stick (he say's inviting flames :bomb:) was the way to go and it's a daily driver.

CIWS
01-06-09, 02:43 PM
You going this March Ken ?

Kmajecki
01-06-09, 03:18 PM
It's an Auto.

I'd prob go Auto as well. 1 because they're more available, and 2 because of the traffic i drive in. The V1 clutch hasnt been the best promoter of manuals either, my clutch still sticks to the floor from time to time... I doubt i'd ever see 175mph in the auto or manual anyway.

You going this March Ken ?

I was always interested in the October one since it'd be cooler, but its not like the Texas heat is at its' peak in March. Joe G is getting me mod happy with all this maggie talk, so if i get a new slave cylinder by March i'll definitely consider it. Would be fun although i wonder if i could reach my max speed in 1 mile?? What do you think? Also being 5 hours away would worry me a bit if i broke something... Could you imagine the towing bill?!

darjae
01-06-09, 03:30 PM
I'd prob go Auto as well. 1 because they're more available, and 2 because of the traffic i drive in. The V1 clutch hasnt been the best promoter of manuals either, my clutch still sticks to the floor from time to time... I doubt i'd ever see 175mph in the auto or manual anyway.

I agree. I commute from The Woodlands down to the Galleria area 4 days a week and the traffic is brutal. So, in the long-term, it's probably better that I got the auto.

Nutz
01-06-09, 06:27 PM
In case you haven't seen, a lot of us rable rousers are the old timers, that have been here for a long while.

In a nutshell:

- The old timers do need to chill out a bit (we also need to tone it down on the supporting vendors, even if some are asshats)
- The newbs need to grow some thicker skin, and use the SEARCH function.

Hope this helps.

-Chris

Strangley, I pictured trukk like the movie where Patton (George C. Scott) was walking back and forth past the giant American Flag presenting an epic speech... :bang2: Good words Chris.:thumbsup:

For the record, I want all the noobs to imagine the tomatoes I took in the face when I joined and said I was gonna build a STEEL diff for a V1. Now I'm on this forum pretty much all winter enjoying almost all forms of content (and have 65K miles on the steel diff) jumpin in on a rib or two.

Speaking of which... WTF is a "rable rouser"? ^ :devilheh:

Seriously though, I think this pretty much fits the idea that Urb (I think) had as a sticky to help with Cadillac Forum ""welcome adjustment thread".