: Recaro seats...after the fact??

Luna.
01-05-09, 07:54 PM
Is going to the recaro seats after the fact a significant challenge or relatively easy?

For example, if one ordered an '04-'06 CTS-V with FE4 shocks, it was relatively easy to swap in the FG2s.

Same thing here with the seats or no??

GM-4-LIFE
01-05-09, 07:58 PM
Is going to the recaro seats after the fact a significant challenge or relatively easy?

For example, if one ordered an '04-'06 CTS-V with FE4 shocks, it was relatively easy to swap in the FG2s.

Same thing here with the seats or no??

Luna,

I was wondering the same thing, but it may too soon to tell.

SG

ExtraV
01-05-09, 08:10 PM
I've wondered this as well. I'm sure one of our forum dealer members could make a quick call to the parts department to find out their costs.....

I bet swapping is very easy. I'm just curious about the cost of the seats.

JEM
01-05-09, 08:11 PM

My guess is that at a minimum it's going to be very expensive.

CadV
01-05-09, 08:42 PM
I bet that would be a pain and expensive.

I love my Recaros, they have me seriously spoiled.

Luna.
01-05-09, 09:02 PM
I bet that would be a pain and expensive.

I love my Recaros, they have me seriously spoiled.

Why?

headpunter
01-06-09, 01:41 AM
you could buy those seats for about $2k (normal recaro ones not v branded ones) with the leather and suede inserts, and install them in an afternoon.

JEM
01-06-09, 02:02 AM
you could buy those seats for about $2k (normal recaro ones not v branded ones) with the leather and suede inserts, and install them in an afternoon.

And those seats are going to have manual recline and other adjustments, and they're not going to bolt to the non-Recaro-model tracks nor will the trim, etc. fit.

Luna.
01-06-09, 08:41 AM
I was thinking part of the challenge might be related to the heating/cooling aspect of the seats, but I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this.

jvp
01-06-09, 09:17 AM
I was thinking part of the challenge might be related to the heating/cooling aspect of the seats, but I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this.

This is one part of seats that I'm a big ignorant on as well. I don't know how the Recaros handle heating and cooling. Most seats that do heating just have an electrically powered heating element in them. But, it isn't clear that that's the case with the Recaros. I've have to remove one from a V to know for sure.

Some other questions: are the side curtain airbags in the V part of the seats? Or are they part of the interior trim? I know in the Corvette they're part of the seat. How's the CTS handle them? If they're part of the seat, specific electrical connections will be required to make sure the airbags in the Recaros report back to the car properly. Again, assuming the bags are in the seats (with both Recaros and stock seats) this shouldn't be a problem.

The seat belt pretensioner will need an electrical connection. I think it's safe to assume the pretensioners are the same between the base seat and the Recaros.

The seat itself will need 12v for its movement and adjust ability. Again, I'm sure GM used the same exact seat plugs for this, so that they didn't have to replace cabling with Recaro seats.

The memory computer has its own connection to the seat. Again, this is probably the same plug for the base seats and Recaros. So I wouldn't expect a problem here.

However, now we get into the challenging parts. The passenger seats on all modern GM cars have what's called a PPS in them, or Passenger Presence Sensor. AKA, butt sensor. Is there a butt in this seat? If so, is it heavy enough that I have to arm the airbag? If so, do I have to arm the airbag at full power? I'm nearly 100% certain that both stock passenger seat and Recaro passenger seat have the same type of PPS in them, and they connect to the car in the same way.

But, here's where it gets fun: the PPS and the car's SRS computer know about each other. The SRS computer knows the PPS's serial number and a couple of other things. If a new PPS shows up (because you've replaced the seats,) the entire airbag system in the car will be disabled. So, if you DO manage to swap the seats, you'll need to visit your local friendly service department, have them hook a Tech-2 up to the car, and tell it to relearn the PPS. It's not hard to do, but I can guarantee you there aren't many techs that have actually done it. It's a very rare request, to be sure.

On top of all of that: how are you going to get the Recaros? Will SPO actually sell you both seats, entirely assembled? They may, but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is no. The last time I looked into buying seats from a GM dealer, their response was: "Well, GM won't let us buy these and sell them to you. We can buy all the parts though, and you can assemble them..."

And, assuming SPO will sell you the seats, do you want to pay that kind of money for them? You will pay more than the option price for them, you can bet on that. Probably by a significant amount.

jas

JEM
01-06-09, 10:39 AM
And, assuming SPO will sell you the seats, do you want to pay that kind of money for them? You will pay more than the option price for them, you can bet on that. Probably by a significant amount.

I wouldn't be surprised if the parts to do a conversion were $8K+. That's exclusive of labor and any body-computer recoding that might be necessary.

At this point, if you want a Recaro car, don't buy one without.

dvandentop
01-06-09, 11:51 AM
it will not be cost efficient to be swapping to them after the fact if you want them order or find one with them. i am sure they will charge out the butt for the whole seat assembly and then getting the cooling work most likely wont be easy.

only time will tell

headpunter
01-06-09, 02:47 PM
the recaro seats dont need any connection to the AIR system to run the ventilation feature. The fans are internal in the seat.

And those seats are going to have manual recline and other adjustments, and they're not going to bolt to the non-Recaro-model tracks nor will the trim, etc. fit.

actually the seat in the cts-v is available from recaro with all power adjustment and heating and cooling. it would be exactly the same seat as the cts-v except it would not have the V logo on it. Before falling in love with the cts-v i was planning on buying a 2010 camaro, and putting the same recaro seats into the camaro.

jvp
01-06-09, 02:53 PM
the recaro seats dont need any connection to the AIR system to run the ventilation feature. The fans are internal in the seat.

So it just takes the 12v input and spins the fans? That's pretty f'ing cool..

Get it? ..

Nevermind.

actually the seat in the cts-v is available from recaro with all power adjustment and heating and cooling. it would be exactly the same seat as the cts-v except it would not have the V logo on it.

Including PPS and seat belt pretensioners?

jas

darjae
01-06-09, 02:53 PM
actually the seat in the cts-v is available from recaro with all power adjustment and heating and cooling. it would be exactly the same seat as the cts-v except it would not have the V logo on it. Before falling in love with the cts-v i was planning on buying a 2010 camaro, and putting the same recaro seats into the camaro.

Do you have a link to that seat on the Recaro website? I can't seem to find it.

Vrocks
01-06-09, 03:07 PM
After test driving one V with Recaros and another without... I'm not going to order mine with the Recaros. The seating position felt higher with the Recaros and I want taller side bolsters. I'll save $3,400 and replace the leather wheel with the suede version trough the Cadillac parts department.

I want the track brake package... but I have a feeling it may only be offered with Recaros.

headpunter
01-06-09, 04:19 PM
-500 internets for me,

i had not noticed the tensioner was on the seat before...unless you worked out something custom, you would have to use the oem seat, maybe contact Recaro thru thier OEM parts division and ask if they can get the seat.

the model they use is basically a style xl Topline with a custom covering, it is full power, heated and ventilated but wouldnt have the seatbelt tensioner on it

V-Beach
01-06-09, 04:23 PM
I test drove a V with the Recaro and hate to admit that I did not like the seat. I sat in a V with the standard seat and prefered it by far.
I had an 04 CTS-V and an 06' STS-V so maybe I'm old school. I can tell you that after driving the bad boy.....I'll be back...what a rush and it sounded better than I expected (stock).

jvp
01-06-09, 04:34 PM
i had not noticed the tensioner was on the seat before...

It's usually part of the seat track, and not the seat itself. Theoretically, if you bought the Recaros, you MIGHT be able to put them on the car's existing seat tracks. Which would already have the pretensioner.

it is full power, heated and ventilated but wouldnt have the seatbelt tensioner on it

Nor the PPS. That is of utmost importance for the passenger seat. Again, it's something that might be able to be transferred over to the Recaro, assuming you could get the passenger side Recaro to mount onto the stock passenger rails.

Either way, this sounds like an insane amount of work.

jas