Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Transmission Control Module Replacement

37K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  globuslive 
#1 ·
Hello folks.
I am looking to replace the TCM on my 99 Catera. Symptoms are slipping transmission, slow to change gears, power steering is hard.
I found the part on eBay and I need to know if the TCM has to reprogrammed when put in my Catera.
Any help here is truly welcome.

Eric

#3 ·
Thanks, mate. I checked out the Omega forums, but couldnt get any answers. I need to know if anyone out there has replaced a TCM and if there is a step by step guide online anywhere which could help.
Like always, any help here is certainly appreciated.

Eric

#5 · (Edited)
I have a brand new tcm for a 99 bought it because i had the same problems with my 98 got it and it didnt fit they are easy to change and i will sell it to you for 50 bucks plus shipping. It is easy to change it is on the passenger side under the kick panel you have to reach up after you remove the kick panel there are 2 bolts you loosen the you have to pull the tcm down un plug it and plug the new one in it takes about 20 min.

#6 ·
Hey, I came across a TSB today which included symptoms like slipping trans, late shift or no shift. I have a feeling this might be your problem. The correction talked about taking apart the valve body to clean out solenoids and 2-3 valves. Ill copy and paste the TSB for ya when i get to work tomorrow. GOOD LUCK!!

#7 ·
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 01-07-30-038D, Date of Issue: September 12, 2006
Affected Model(s): 2007 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks; 2003-2007 HUMMER H2; 2006-2007 HUMMER H3; 2005-2007 Saab 9-7X; with 4L60-E/4L65-E/4L70-E Automatic Transmission (RPOs M30/M32/M70)
Supercedes: This bulletin is being revised to add the 2007 model year and the 4L70-E transmission. Also, information has been added to Condition, Cause and Correction. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-30-038C (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Related Ref Number(s): 01-07-30-038, 01-07-30-038A, 01-07-30-038B, 01-07-30-038C, 01-07-30-038D
ARTICLE BEGINNING
Condition
Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:

An illuminated MIL where DTC P0757 is found as a history code in the PCM or TCM.
No 3rd and 4th gear.
The transmission does not shift correctly.
The transmission feels like it shifts to Neutral or a loss of drive occurs.
The vehicle free wheels above 48 km/h (30 mph). High RPM needed to overcome the free wheeling.
Cause
Fig. 1: Locating Components
Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

This condition may be caused by any of the following:

Chips or debris plugging the bleed orifice of the 2-3 shift solenoid (367). This will cause the transmission to stay in 2nd gear when 3rd gear is commanded and return to 1st gear when 4th gear is commanded.
A 2-3 shift valve (368) or 2-3 shuttle valve (369) that is stuck, restricted and/or hung-up in its bore.
This condition may also be an indication of a damaged 2-4 band or 3-4 clutches. This clutch damage may generate debris causing the 2-3 shift valve line-up to stick in the valve body bore and set DTC P0757.
Correction
Inspect the condition of the transmission fluid for signs of overheat or a burnt odor. If either is noted, the transmission should be disassembled for further investigation and repaired as needed.
Inspect the inside of the oil pan for signs of clutch friction material. A small amount of friction material in the bottom of the pan is normal. If a large amount of clutch material is noted in the fluid or bottom pan, the transmission should be disassembled for further investigation and repaired as needed.
Inspect and clean the 2-3 shift valve (368), the 2-3 shuttle valve (369) and the valve bore of debris/metal chips.
Inspect and clean the 2-3 shift solenoid (367B) opening of debris/metal chips. While inspecting the 2-3 shift solenoid (367B), look for a screen over the solenoid opening. If the solenoid DOES NOT have a screen, replace the solenoid. All current GMSPO stock shift solenoids have a screen over the solenoid opening.
If clutch debris is found, it is also very important to inspect the pressure control (PC) solenoid valve fluid screens. Clean or replace the PC solenoid as necessary. It is also important to flush and flow check the transmission oil cooler using J 45096. Refer to SI "Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Flushing and Flow Test" for the procedure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.