: frozen serpentine belt tensioner

jonm6
06-28-04, 10:16 AM
Hello all,

I have a 97 Aurora with the 4.0 engine and discovered the other day that the tensioner pivot was frozen for the main serpentine belt. After much effort I was able to free the tensioner and move it several times. My question: Can these pivots be lubed while on the engine? If not HOW do you remove it? It looks like the engine mount plate has to be taken off to remove the tensioner.

Thanks

growe3
06-28-04, 12:15 PM
I am not sure if it is the same as the Northstar, but if it is:

1. Use a 1/2" breaker bar in the square slot on the tensioner, to relax the tension of the belt.

2. Slip the belt off of just the tensioner pulley, remove breaker bar.

3. There is a single bolt in near the middle of the tensioner, remove it.

4. To install just reverse the above procedure.

-George

jonm6
06-28-04, 12:37 PM
The Aurora must use a different type of front engine mount. There is a large metal plate on the engine that the mount attaches to. The tensioner assembly is about an inch behind this plate and there appears to be no access to remove the tensioner assembly without removing the whole engine mount assembly. That is why I am wondering if the pivot can be lubed while on the engine.

Thanks

BeelzeBob
06-28-04, 01:24 PM
It is harder to access the tensioner on the Aurora with the torque axis engine mounting plate across the front. I would use a spray grease in an aerosol can (such as the white lithium grease in the spray can that is "thinned" with a carrier solvent that evaporates) and stick the little straw from the spray nozzle into the spring slot on the tensioner. Spray around inside the tensioner and then work it with the breaker bar to exercise it. You should be able to feel if the lube is getting into the pivot by the way the tensioner moves when you exercise it. Wrap some rags under the tensioner to catch the overspray and drips so the grease doesn't drip onto the belt itself. Other than that, to directly lube the pivot, you have to support the engine, remove the engine mounting plate and then remove the tensioner.

jonm6
06-29-04, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the advice!